Shooting stats after three games

LVJeff

The perimeter players are shooting 36% after three games (I pulled Jones numbers out of that). It drops to 32% if you pull Dunbar's 11-18 out of it.

Player.......................FG FGA Pct
Graves, Bashaara.......16 17 0.941
Russell, Mercedes.......21 36 0.583
Cooper, Te'a..............13 33 0.394
Dunbar, Kortney.........11 18 0.611
Jones, Jasmine.............8 20 0.4
DeShields, Diamond......7 28 0.25
Middleton, Alexa...........5 12 0.417
Carter, Andraya............5 16 0.313
Reynolds, Jordan.........4 15 0.267
Moore, Nia.................0 2 0
Jackson, Meme...........0 0 0

Reactions: 1 person
1-12 for threes against Syracuse. Just a terrible night except on the scoreboard...:)

GO VOLS!

by those stats, Kortney Dunbar should be playing 40 minutes a game. Too bad she doesn't yet know how to block out on a rebound and is a defensive basket case.

Perimeter shooting in weak and teams are starting to use the strategy clog up the lane and let them put up a outside shot. If they want to force it inside we'll get a turnover.

Perimeter shooting in weak and teams are starting to use the strategy clog up the lane and let them put up a outside shot. If they want to force it inside we'll get a turnover.

A repeat of the previous three seasons in other words. Unless the outside shooting improves.

A repeat of the previous three seasons in other words. Unless the outside shooting improves.

Yes 19 turnovers get you beat against the very top teams. Syracuse and Penn State are average teams at best. They don't have the talent of Tennessee because they can't get them to come there. You very seldom see them in the top 20 rankings of recruiting classes.
I think this team has the speed and quickness to get out in transition and make some easy baskets. Holly is always yelling were quick shooting but if you have an open shot you need to let it fly. I don't see the need to hold the ball for 20 seconds then try to force a pass inside.
I think we need to push it up the floor and beat the defense back for easy baskets. I don't think we have great perimeter shooters on this team. They are certainly better than what they are doing now. The reason these games were even close is because of our poor guard play on offense. I think if we could even shoot it at 40 percent from the perimeter we'll be very hard to beat. This team should score in the 80's every game.

Carter and Reynolds have to play better--period. They are very good athletes; Carter has the prettiest jump shot on the team. I think they need to be coached up and given some confidence. If we passed the ball better, and Warlick insisted that player with open shots take them, and take them with confidence, these two would shoot better, IMO. I think they fret too much about getting the damn ball inside constantly--and that is why we stand around a lot too. A good offense is all about crisp player and ball movement, screens, picks, players getting open and taking shots. Out of that, if a big is in position to catch a pass, you get it to her. Instead, UT comes down the floor every time not with the intention of everyone moving and passing, but with the following in mind: I must get the ball into Russell or Graves. This is they way our guards think-and why I think they are ineffective. Warlick's comments that "everybody knows we are an inside out team"--and "we haven't really practiced our outside shooting that much yet"-- is just another example of her cluelessness.

...Carter has the prettiest jump shot on the team...

Which Carter are you watching? The one that is shooting 5 of 16 for a 31% clip or some other Carter?

You're confusing form for function. If she won't shoot or the ball doesn't go in often enough, it doesn't matter how pretty she looks jumping up in the air.

thanks for the stats Jeff:hi: the perimeter shooting is slack at best so far,the Lady Vols need some consistency shooting the 3 point shots, that would open up the paint for easier shots,it would be great if DeShields and Cooper would hit a few of the 3's they are jacking up

hopefully with some more game time,they will start hitting a few of them,I would like to see Dunbar get some more playing time,that is the only thing that is going to help her Defensive play,hopefully the Lady Vols can get a big enough lead in games to get her some more playing time

and didn't Russell look tiered in the 4th Quarter against Syracuse to ya'll ? she may need a bit more rest till she is in game shape this year

Which Carter are you watching? The one that is shooting 5 of 16 for a 31% clip or some other Carter?

You're confusing form for function. If she won't shoot or the ball doesn't go in often enough, it doesn't matter how pretty she looks jumping up in the air.

Except Carter has proven to be a reliable (if reluctant) shooter in the past. Form is fine, she needs confidence and better coaching...

Carter and Reynolds have to play better--period. They are very good athletes; Carter has the prettiest jump shot on the team. I think they need to be coached up and given some confidence. If we passed the ball better, and Warlick insisted that player with open shots take them, and take them with confidence, these two would shoot better, IMO. I think they fret too much about getting the damn ball inside constantly--and that is why we stand around a lot too. A good offense is all about crisp player and ball movement, screens, picks, players getting open and taking shots. Out of that, if a big is in position to catch a pass, you get it to her. Instead, UT comes down the floor every time not with the intention of everyone moving and passing, but with the following in mind: I must get the ball into Russell or Graves. This is they way our guards think-and why I think they are ineffective. Warlick's comments that "everybody knows we are an inside out team"--and "we haven't really practiced our outside shooting that much yet"-- is just another example of her cluelessness.

The things Holly says during interviews, the inside game worked to perfection for the Lady Vols when we had all the good tall post, or the best post in the country. What major coach knows what the issues are but refuses to work on them? No clue for 5 freckling years!!!!!! Holly, it is simple do not go to a gun fight with a hatchet.

That`s what i have said Carter is very athletic and has a very good looking jump shot, But right now her confidence is shot. Due to Holly bad coaching forcing her play the point every time she comes into the game. As you said you can not force the ball inside at will.

See our fans, has the same mentality as most of our guards, when a coach is harping on getting the ball inside for paint points, cos they know they are high percentage shots, and it makes the defense collapse or shift, now just like the fans, the players sometimes take this literally, that's when you realize we have a team of low high iq players, and low bball iq fans, if you are 0-5 from the 3 and I'm a guard, I'm getting to the paint or the rim for a closer shot.

See when she says, we're an inside out team, that doesn't mean she wants to try to force the ball to Graves and Russell, that means be a basketball player, beat your player one on one, (especially if they are playing behind Russell and Graves, not another defender in sight, shoot the gaps, cut, back screen, if our gurl just moved more, our offense would be better, its easy to defend four players standing around on the perimeter.

Our guards are never in attack mode offensively, they think attack is jacking up threes, its getting the bests shot possible. After you just missed four threes, let's just see the ball go through the net, let's get to rim or to the free throw line, see that's the way good guards think. ijs.

Our guards play is average, and Cooper understand this so far most of all but she needs to go the rim under control.

For instance, Russell catches the ball, and two or players are going to collapse, Russell kicks the ball back out for a wide open missed shot, the defender who dug, is running out to close, our guards instead of attacking the gap or rim, they pass the ball back to the post and or jack up a late contested shot.

Why do you think Jones is at the 3, cos she at least try to get to the rim under control?

This is not Holly, she has guards who are athletic, who learning curve for ALL American or good guard play is very steep. And that sad, cos we have all seen their potential and frankly, I'm tired of waiting, cos as soon as Meme get up to speed, I can see both her and Cooper being better than Reynolds and Carter, this year.

Reynolds and Carter, yes, I am really disappointed in their growth as players, but they are still my girls and they still have time, I mean Reynolds if she just played like she played against UK in SEC tournament 2 years ago, we're a final 4 team. If Carter and Reynold played like they, they belong on the court, we're a final four team two years in a row. oh well.

Whatcha gonna do, try to get high percentage by getting the ball inside, and that's doesn't mean jus trying to force the ball to our bigs. And get Cooper and Meme, more minutes before the SEC. ijs.

1. Cooper
2. Diamond (sorry no more coming off the bench)
3. Jones
4. Graves
5. Russell

Holly can't coach or maybe our players are not as good as we think they are, or consistent...What have you done for the Lady Vols lately? Production and performance.....ooooh ooooh oooh yea!

Last edited:
14 of 61 from the three which is 23 percent. This was the main weakness I suspected before the season began because we really don't have anyone on this team that has been a consistent 3 point shooter other than Dunbar who even after three misses last night is at .417.
More zones coming and we'll have to figure out how to get points. No one is going to play us man to man this season because Cooper and Diamond can get to the basket.

See, that's the same way our guards think, who says it has to be a 3 pointer in order for a player to be effective, let's have our guards hit shots, midrange, floaters, bank shots, from closer in, hit shots they know 9 times out 10 they can make, now if it is the three for some fine, but by no means is it the 3 point shot for all. ijs.

Get to the rim, Reynolds and Cooper should live there...

To me you're only as good as your last performance, game, watching the game seeing the intangibles and box score tells us all we need to know. We can no longer wait on players to get it. Now. Today. Every day! Lady vols way!

Our shooting stats will improve as our ladies get comfortable pressing, switching defenses, and playing all out on the defensive, I think our offense will improve cos we will be in better game shape, by the time we hit that preseason gauntlet, Stanford....but that all depends on the health of Diamond.

VN Store

Back