Offensive Strategy Killing Guards Creativity

hokievol12

Pound the rock inside!!! Damn it...pound the rock inside!!!! Diamond Deshields is great passing the ball...but even SHE tried to force several balls inside tonight that had ZERO chance of success...thank you coaching staff for turning one of the most creative players in the game into a robot! And if Kortney Dunbar didn't need to see the floor as a zone buster tonight...she'll never be needed...just a waste of the most talented 3 point shooter on the team...thank you coaching staff...you are brilliant beyond your years! 19 turnovers...but enough defense was played to overcome ineptitude...holding Syracuse to 31.8 per cent shooting. Jazmine Jones had a good game...only turned the ball over when she was dribbling the ball on the perimeter...a problem the coaches have apparently never noticed! Holly said they haven't spent enough time shooting from outside the circle in practice...would be a damn good time to start!

Reactions: 4 people
Pound the rock inside!!! Damn it...pound the rock inside!!!! Diamond Deshields is great passing the ball...but even SHE tried to force several balls inside tonight that had ZERO chance of success...thank you coaching staff for turning one of the most creative players in the game into a robot! And if Kortney Dunbar didn't need to see the floor as a zone buster tonight...she'll never be needed...just a waste of the most talented 3 point shooter on the team...thank you coaching staff...you are brilliant beyond your years! 19 turnovers...but enough defense was played to overcome ineptitude...holding Syracuse to 31.8 per cent shooting. Jazmine Jones had a good game...only turned the ball over when she was dribbling the ball on the perimeter...a problem the coaches have apparently never noticed! Holly said they haven't spent enough time shooting from outside the circle in practice...would be a damn good time to start!

Holly admitting her team hasn't practiced enough SHOOTING beyond the arc is the exact reason I have such doubts about her head-coaching abilities. If she doesn't cover all the bases during practice, how can any fan expect her team to do so when the lights are on?

This is mind-boggling. Even if true, Holly, please don't admit it to the public. Please say it was a bad night on offense and your team will work diligently to improve. Can someone please coach Holly on the art of the interview and press conference. No wonder fans are doubting our HC's ability to get the job done.

If you listen to any interview or post-game press conference with Warlick, you can see why we don't play good, smart, confident basketball.

Reactions: 1 person
Holly admitting her team hasn't practiced enough SHOOTING beyond the arc is the exact reason I have such doubts about her head-coaching abilities. If she doesn't cover all the bases during practice, how can any fan expect her team to do so when the lights are on?

This is mind-boggling. Even if true, Holly, please don't admit it to the public. Please say it was a bad night on offense and your team will work diligently to improve. Can someone please coach Holly on the art of the interview and press conference. No wonder fans are doubting our HC's ability to get the job done.

players practice shooting all year long, only fans would believe they didn't practice shooting enough. :lolabove:

Reactions: 5 people
players practice shooting all year long, only fans would believe they didn't practice shooting enough. :lolabove:

All fans know players shoot on their own or with teammates usually all-year long, but this is much different than during the parameters of a real practice with your head coach dictating game-type situations. Holly's admission proves she doesn't place as much emphasis, during formal practices, on three-point shooting. That's scary to this fan.

I guarantee you Geno doesn't make the same mistake, and his teams' performances over the years from beyond the arc proves this.

Holly's philosophy concerning offensive prowess must change, or she won't be a head coach for much longer. Maybe the abysmal results thus far this year producing beyond the arc will change her focus, at least let's hope so or we're in for another no-show at the Final Four. (This is another reason why Dunbar should see more minutes, even if her D isn't stellar yet.)

Yes, the three-pointer has become vital for success in today's game. Being an old-schooler devoted to the Pat Summitt "defense wins championship" philosophy, it's hard for me to admit this fact. Why do you think Geno always has a couple of phenomenal three-point shooters on his team?

Don't get me wrong, I love defense but time must be spent practicing the long shot and free throws, too, especially with the new rules with two shots after five fouls in each quarter AND the emphasis on touch fouls.

Time to go pay either Muffet or Mulkey what they want !!

Mulkey's post-season record is EXACTLY the same as Holly's (one Sweet Sixteen and two Elite Eights). Baylor won by 3 points against the number 19 team in the country Thursday night; Baylor in no way, shape, or form looked like world-beaters. And yet you want Mulkey to be your coach? LOL

The truth is, with a fan based comprised largely of spoiled, whiny, entitled dumbasses, no coach in his or her right mind would agree to come here and take the place of a coach who, in her first three years, has one of the best winning percentages in the entire women's game.

Tell me, what reason does UT have to replace Holly? Her teams have won four times as many games as they have lost, she has consistently gotten her injury-laden teams well-into the NCAA tournament every year that she has been coach, and this year has started out 3-0. Explain to me how they would justify replacing her.

Reactions: 5 people
Folks, don't even think anyone other than Tyler Summitt will be the next head coach at UTK. It's a given. Holly will survive for at least a couple more years because on talent alone we're a Top 10 program. By then, Tyler will have ample HC experience to step into the role his mother made legendary.

Folks, don't even think anyone other than Tyler Summitt will be the next head coach at UTK. It's a given. Holly will survive for at least a couple more years because on talent alone we're a Top 10 program. By then, Tyler will have ample HC experience to step into the role his mother made legendary.

Jesus wept.

There is no guard development with this coaching staff. None. Carter, Reynolds, and Middleton are the same players now that they were as freshmen...

All fans know players shoot on their own or with teammates usually all-year long, but this is much different than during the parameters of a real practice with your head coach dictating game-type situations. Holly's admission proves she doesn't place as much emphasis, during formal practices, on three-point shooting. That's scary to this fan.

I guarantee you Geno doesn't make the same mistake, and his teams' performances over the years from beyond the arc proves this.

Holly's philosophy concerning offensive prowess must change, or she won't be a head coach for much longer. Maybe the abysmal results thus far this year producing beyond the arc will change her focus, at least let's hope so or we're in for another no-show at the Final Four. (This is another reason why Dunbar should see more minutes, even if her D isn't stellar yet.)

Yes, the three-pointer has become vital for success in today's game. Being an old-schooler devoted to the Pat Summitt "defense wins championship" philosophy, it's hard for me to admit this fact. Why do you think Geno always has a couple of phenomenal three-point shooters on his team?

Don't get me wrong, I love defense but time must be spent practicing the long shot and free throws, too, especially with the new rules with two shots after five fouls in each quarter AND the emphasis on touch fouls.

Holly's lack of attention to the offensive end of the game, may be her undoing here...This is a big year for her.

To throw a little more gas on the fire...
th
Don't you just love the way we defend the three ball!

I agree with all, even though I can write it without the anger that social media requires of posts. The guards were so focused on getting it inside that they gave up being personally offensive. Middleton was a "good trooper" and like Carter made it apparent to the defense she wasn't going to shoot. How many of the TOs were in part caused by not being offensive minded (first) from the perimeter?

Interesting was the many non-foul calls of the type called in the Penn State game.

"Anybody that knows Tennessee knows that we play inside-out, and our posts are going to touch the basketball," Tennessee coach Holly Warlick said. "They did tonight

Kind of a one dimensional and dated offense. Maybe it's time to try something new.

I definitely have been surprised at the way the offense has played to start this season. We seem to plan to get in a half court offense and work slowly to get the ball inside. That is ok if the defense gets back but we should be pushing with Cooper and Diamond and trying to get easy baskets by beating the defense before they are set. I could see us setting up with a slow offense if we were a good perimeter shooting team but we are not so we have to use a different strategy and have the speed and quickness to make it work.

UCONN would beat Tennessee by 40 right now.

Sad thing is it's not all about the talent difference- it's about the coaching and technique difference. If Holly was given UCONNs players and Geno ours he'd beat us by 20. He'd win the NC with Russell and Deshields.

Reactions: 3 people
I think all of the armchair coaches here need to go down to TBA immediately and put in their applications. About half of you might -- MIGHT -- be deemed qualified enough to clean the toilets.

I thought this was going to be a football thread and then I saw "pound the rock inside" and knew we couldn't do that so.....

Jesus wept.

I wept after seeing our poor inept offense and the turnovers. Not many tears shed over the defense. But I need a big box of Kleenex watching our poor outside shooting. And right when I had wiped my eyes and blew my nose, the head coach admits that she does not practice shooting enough. Coach fix it!!! If I were an HC, I would take her defense, no doubt. I can tell you have a real passion for the team, but there are some issues that need to be fixed.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back