What are your expectations now?

LVJeff

I said before the season that the SC and ND games would be losses. I also thought Stanford (on the road) and one of the Kentucky, Texas A&M, or Mississippi State games (only 1 of them, although all three are road games) would be losses. Four losses in the regular season.

I'm going to stick with that.

Tonight's stats:

1-12 from 3 point line
40% overall FG%
57% FT%
19 turnovers
The LV's gave up 21 (21!) offensive rebounds to Syracuse

Well gee I think some improvement is called for.

I expect Holly's head coaching career won't reach six years if she doesn't stop substituting every two minutes, and if she doesn't infuse some offensive innovation and intellect into the program with new assistants. Goodness knows she's had 30+ years to learn offense and hasn't come close yet, so that ship has sailed.

If Diamond can get back to what she was at UNC and Te'a improves, our talent level can overcome poor strategy and coaching to reach the Final Four, but another national championship doesn't appear likely with this current coaching staff, unfortunately.

I do expect to love my Lady Vols forever, that I do know.

Reactions: 4 people
I said before the season that the SC and ND games would be losses. I also thought Stanford (on the road) and one of the Kentucky, Texas A&M, or Mississippi State games (only 1 of them, although all three are road games) would be losses. Four losses in the regular season.

Tonight's stats:

1-12 from 3 point line
40% overall FG%
57% FT%
19 turnovers

If I saw that stat line not already knowing the results of the game, I would have guessed a loss.

My expectations have been dampened quite a bit. It's clear to me diamond is not 100% not even close..I'm guessing if we keep playing this badly and the coaching continues to be abysmal, we could be looking at 8-10 losses, and with the amount of talent we have, that would just be a huge disappointment

Reactions: 1 person
If you love "your" Lady Vols as you claim, then you should love and support all of them, including the coaches. The coaches know more about the game than you do. You are there to observe, not to sideline coach.

Now, for my expectations. I expect some aneurisms, a bunch of strokes-outs, five exploded heads, and two cases of spontaneous combustion . . . and all for nothing.

Tonight's stats:

1-12 from 3 point line
40% overall FG%
57% FT%
19 turnovers

If memory serves, this is two games in a row now going 1-12 from 3. Not good.

My opinion. A bunch of unforced errors and timely 3 pointers by Syracuse. That is a recipe for disaster. On the other hand I saw the same kind of games when Pat was coach. She corrected the problems! We'll find out if Holly can coach them up. GBO!!

Reactions: 2 people
I'll have more thoughts later but I feel a bit sad and discouraged. A game can be close and you can win and look good. But unfortunately I thought we looked bad and we have too much talent to look that bad.

If you love "your" Lady Vols as you claim, then you should love and support all of them, including the coaches. The coaches know more about the game than you do. You are there to observe, not to sideline coach.

Now, for my expectations. I expect some aneurisms, a bunch of strokes-outs, five exploded heads, and two cases of spontaneous combustion . . . and all for nothing.

Holly actually doesn't coach like she knows more than the girl or boy next door, to be truthful. It's any fan's right to sideline coach. We pay the salaries of these coaches with contributions and game attendance, etc.

I actually knew Holly in college and worked in the athletic department (internship) for Pat and Debby Jennings, and I love Holly, the woman and assistant coach. I personally think she's in over her head as HC and has proven why she should be a lifelong assistant. There are leaders and followers in life, and Holly is the latter. That doesn't make her a bad person (she's actually a sweetheart), but it doesn't make her HC material either. Replacing a legend is beyond tough (as UConn fans will find out one day), so I'll give Holly a break. (I've made it clear I'm looking forward to Tyler returning to Tennessee sooner than later anyway!)

But as a fan and financial supporter, I want the very best for the Lady Vols. IMHO, Holly hasn't yet proven she's the answer to returning Tennessee to the top of the heap.

Maybe I'm wrong, and I'll gladly plead ignorance if Holly proves me wrong. I sincerely hope she does. Tyler is young and will be available in one, five or eight (highly doubt Holly will coach much longer than eight to 10 years no matter what) seasons down the road, so make me look foolish, Holly. I dare you (the young lady I remember couldn't resist a dare)!

Holly actually doesn't coach like she knows more than the girl or boy next door, to be truthful. It's any fan's right to sideline coach. We pay the salaries of these coaches with contributions and game attendance, etc.

I actually knew Holly in college and worked in the athletic department (internship) for Pat and Debby Jennings, and I love Holly, the woman and assistant coach. I personally think she's in over her head as HC and has proven why she should be a lifelong assistant. There are leaders and followers in life, and Holly is the latter. That doesn't make her a bad person (she's actually a sweetheart), but it doesn't make her HC material either. Replacing a legend is beyond tough (as UConn fans will find out one day), so I'll give Holly a break. (I've made it clear I'm looking forward to Tyler returning to Tennessee sooner than later anyway!)

But as a fan and financial supporter, I want the very best for the Lady Vols. IMHO, Holly hasn't yet proven she's the answer to returning Tennessee to the top of the heap.

Maybe I'm wrong, and I'll gladly plead ignorance if Holly proves me wrong. I sincerely hope she does. Tyler is young and will be available in one, five or eight (highly doubt Holly will coach much longer than eight to 10 years no matter what) seasons down the road, so make me look foolish, Holly. I dare you (the young lady I remember couldn't resist a dare)!

I'm a fan and financial supporter, too, and all because I love Lady Vol basketball. I'm not even a graduate of UT, which likely makes me a better fan than most as I support the team out of pure desire, not a sense of obligation. And I doubt seriously if Holly has to make you look foolish; you seem do that well enough on your own.

Reactions: 3 people
Great post Voldon.....I never knew Holly, but it is easy to see offensive strategy is not one of her strengths....This team needs a leader that knows X's and O's, and it isn't her....

Her idea of offense is throw it into the post, and that's about it.

Hey ivyleague, who the hell died and made you some kind of an expert on what fans are supposed to do? Fans pay to support the team -- and they pay with both their time and their money. You're going to lecture people here when all you and your giant, over-inflated ego do on this board is pick arguments with other people and act like you're God's gift to the LV fanbase? Bye! You aren't that important. Go find a seat somewhere and stay there. Just because you kiss Holly's feet doesn't mean anyone else is obligated to do the same.

The staff blows. There is no way around it. They have zero idea how to form a five-player unit at once that can get us out of a hole and swing momentum. I mean ... why the hell would you play JJ, Bash and Mercedes together? That's three players that can't score outside of the paint. Why is JJ the walking, talking turnover machine in the game in the last seconds with a two point lead? Oh and our guards are trash outside of Diamond and Te'a. Jordan and Draya appear to have regressed so far this season -- as if it's possible for Jordan to become a worse shooter and Draya to play like more of a headcase. But that does appear to be the case. And yet ... they are thrown out there and the staff acts like nothing is wrong. In fact, they start the two of them TOGETHER. Draya doesn't even look at the friggin rim when she gets the ball. She prefers to just stare at a post player for ten seconds, dribble a hole into the court, and then pass the ball back out to another guard. And then people act like she's this all-world defensive player and that it "makes up" for the fact that she's a scrub on offense -- when in reality she gets beat constantly during the course of a game and she's never shut down a great (let alone elite) offensive player in her entire time at UT. Jordan may be one of the least skilled guards I've ever seen at UT -- and she's definitely probably the least skilled guard that consistently starts that I've ever seen in the program. Average passer, average ball handler, below average shooter (and with that funky form it's not hard to see why), average (at-best) defender (despite everyone defending Holly's bone-headed, nauseatingly stupid little game of starting her over Rel, the girl isn't a good defender, either). The only positive they bring is that they don't turn the ball over a lot -- but when defenses aren't guarding you (both of them) and you aren't aggressive (especially Draya), it isn't that hard to not turn the ball over. The only players with any sense of urgency are Diamond and Te'a. Diamond may not be able to hit the broad side of a barn right now but at least she doesn't look like a 5th grader out there. Te'a is a freshman in her third game of her career and she's the only one that had a clue how to move or attack Syracuse's zone -- while most of the other players still looked as dumbfounded by it at the end of the game as they did to start.

Honestly I'm done sugarcoating this crap from this staff. They can't recruit and they can't coach. And don't give me this "a win is a win" bullcrap, either. We all know the team will soon lay a giant egg and it will soon be an embarrassing L. It happens pretty much every season. And I'm over the excuse-making and people defending Holly and making her out to be some kind of a victim because she followed Pat. She knew the expectations and responsibility coming in to it, and she's a grown woman.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 people
Hey ivyleague, who the hell died and made you some kind of an expert on what fans are supposed to do? Fans pay to support the team -- and they pay with both their time and their money. You're going to lecture people here when all you and your giant, over-inflated ego do on this board is pick arguments with other people and act like you're God's gift to the LV fanbase? Bye! You aren't that important. Go find a seat somewhere and stay there. Just because you kiss Holly's feet doesn't mean anyone else is obligated to do the same.

The staff blows. There is no way around it. They have zero idea how to form a five-player unit at once that can get us out of a hole and swing momentum. I mean ... why the hell would you play JJ, Bash and Mercedes together? That's three players that can't score outside of the paint. Why is JJ the walking, talking turnover machine in the game in the last seconds with a two point lead? Oh and our guards are trash outside of Diamond and Te'a. Jordan and Draya appear to have regressed so far this season -- as if it's possible for Jordan to become a worse shooter and Draya to play like more of a headcase. But that does appear to be the case. And yet ... they are thrown out there and the staff acts like nothing is wrong. In fact, they start the two of them TOGETHER. Draya doesn't even look at the friggin rim when she gets the ball. She prefers to just stare at a post player for ten seconds, dribble a hole into the court, and then pass the ball back out to another guard. And then people act like she's this all-world defensive player and that it "makes up" for the fact that she's a scrub on offense -- when in reality she gets beat constantly during the course of a game and she's never shut down a great (let alone elite) offensive player in her entire time at UT. Jordan may be one of the least skilled guards I've ever seen at UT -- and she's definitely probably the least skilled guard that consistently starts that I've ever seen in the program. Average passer, average ball handler, below average shooter (and with that funky form it's not hard to see why), average (at-best) defender (despite everyone defending Holly's bone-headed, nauseatingly stupid little game of starting her over Rel, the girl isn't a good defender, either). The only positive they bring is that they don't turn the ball over a lot -- but when defenses aren't guarding you (both of them) and you aren't aggressive (especially Draya), it isn't that hard to not turn the ball over. The only players with any sense of urgency are Diamond and Te'a. Diamond may not be able to hit the broad side of a barn right now but at least she doesn't look like a 5th grader out there. Te'a is a freshman in her third game of her career and she's the only one that had a clue how to move or attack Syracuse's zone -- while most of the other players still looked as dumbfounded by it at the end of the game as they did to start.

Honestly I'm done sugarcoating this crap from this staff. They can't recruit and they can't coach. And don't give me this "a win is a win" bullcrap, either. We all know the team will soon lay a giant egg and it will soon be an embarrassing L. It happens pretty much every season. And I'm over the excuse-making and people defending Holly and making her out to be some kind of a victim because she followed Pat. She knew the expectations and responsibility coming in to it, and she's a grown woman.

*yawn* Drama queen.

I'm going to go ahead and predict that you will be one of the two who spontaneously combust this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
I'm a fan and financial supporter, too, and all because I love Lady Vol basketball. I'm not even a graduate of UT, which likely makes me a better fan than most as I support the team out of pure desire, not a sense of obligation. And I doubt seriously if Holly has to make you look foolish; you seem do that well enough on your own.

If all grads of a university felt "obligated" to give back financially, budget issues would never exist. And any fan, a grad or not, knows about the $$ issues UTK has suffered for several years.

I've given out of love, loyalty and pride, and not only for our sports prowess. Most of my contributions actually have gone to the College of Communications. I love my university no matter what, but I refuse to sugar coat anything in life or follow blindly. I've been as critical of our institutional leadership (mainly Jimmy Cheek) as I have any athletic coach.

I have a right to voice my disapproval of blatant coaching flaws, and I don't deserve to be called a "fool" for doing so. I don't cotton to name calling. You can have your superior attitude. I prefer to live in reality.

Volcrazy...That was epic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell of a post.........................Hell of a post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If all grads of a university felt "obligated" to give back financially, budget issues would never exist. And any fan, a grad or not, knows about the $$ issues UTK has suffered for several years.

I've given out of love, loyalty and pride, and not only for our sports prowess. Most of my contributions actually have gone to the College of Communications. I love my university no matter what, but I refuse to sugar coat anything in life or follow blindly. I've been as critical of our institutional leadership (mainly Jimmy Cheek) as I have any athletic coach.

I have a right to voice my disapproval of blatant coaching flaws, and I don't deserve to be called a "fool" for doing so. I don't cotton to name calling. You can have your superior attitude. I prefer to live in reality.

Blatant coaching flaws? I don't thinks so. Like all coaches, Holly makes mistakes. But "blatant flaws" is a supremely hyperbolic way of characterizing it. If she had such insurmountably blatant coaching flaws, she wouldn't have the record she has. So, I'm not buying it.

And I don't particularly care what you "cotton" to. Not in the least.

It is quite evident from reading these scribblings that there are a few Elite basketball coaches on this board. I am quite surprised, though, that they have enough time left on their hands to devote to criticizing a member of their own profession.

"Then you should love and support all of them?" She is being paid. That is how she is being supported. But, I disagree with the notion that you back a coach no matter what. That is coach worship. Holly is a VOL, true. But she is not doing it for free. Fans should cheer for the team and encourage them but have high expectations and make demands of the coach, especially at a program like Tennessee. Holly is being paid to return this team to the final four-she has said so herself. Pat understood that. "The coaches know more about the game than we do?" Don't agree with that either. They probably know more about the psychology of coaching young women basketball players, but know more about the game? Many of us fans know quite a bit about the game and it's not rocket science.

P.S.-If you were a hiring manager for a company would you hire Holly? Not that impressive. There's something about great coaches. There is an aura about them. Pat had that. Holly doesn't.

Blatant coaching flaws? I don't thinks so. Like all coaches, Holly makes mistakes. But "blatant flaws" is a supremely hyperbolic way of characterizing it. If she had such insurmountably blatant coaching flaws, she wouldn't have the record she has. So, I'm not buying it.

And I don't particularly care what you "cotton" to. Not in the least.

If you actually didn't care, you wouldn't respond. Methinks you care in the most.

One man's blatant flaws is another's blind loyalty. I get that. Have a nice weekend and Happy Thanksgiving. I'm particularly thankful for my right to voice my opinion on a topic about which I care deeply.

I predict that we lose against Chatt and it serves as a wake up call.... My expectations are still high for this team but they are playing very lazy... Only positive I can legitimately pull at this moment is post play.. Our guards need to shoot and shoot well...

P.S.-If you were a hiring manager for a company would you hire Holly? Not that impressive. There's something about great coaches. There is an aura about them. Pat had that. Holly doesn't.

No I would not hire her....She seems like a fun person, but not a leader.....Pat was a leader...The girl's did not want to let Pat down. Holly, well she's almost one of them...Not tough enough on them.

Woah woah woah I came on here to check the score because I didn't get to watch the game, and from all the comments I thought we had lost. So I headed over to ol' ESPN and saw that in fact it was a win against a top 25 squad...I'm super confused. Why such negativity? I think people are forgetting that the gap between 1-4 ranked teams and the rest of the top 25 have gotten smaller over the years- there is simply more plurality in Women's BB. A top 25 win regardless is a good victory. And the season is young so there is room to improve. Maybe I'm missing something? Seeing as though I didn't watch the game I can't comment on how they looked but a win is a win...

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back