SEC NETWORK+ Frustrates Me

snapcracklepop

Why is a top 25 matchup between the Lady Vols and Syracuse not televised on the SEC Network? If you look at the Schedule for both the Men's and Women's teams, you see many of the games are televised on SEC NETWORK +. Which means that you either have to watch it on your smartphone or on your computer.

It feels to me like more of the men's and women's games were televised before the SEC Network came about.

INB4 SEC NETWORK hates us.

Reactions: 2 people
Why is a top 25 matchup between the Lady Vols and Syracuse not televised on the SEC Network? If you look at the Schedule for both the Men's and Women's teams, you see many of the games are televised on SEC NETWORK +. Which means that you either have to watch it on your smartphone or on your computer.

It feels to me like more of the men's and women's games were televised before the SEC Network came about.

SEC Network is showing UK Men v. Wright State at 8 pm. That's going to be a bigger tv draw than our game so it will take preference.

Theres a lot of complexity that goes into the network schedule. In the case of football or mens basketball, the marquee teams are more often than not going to be on CBS, ESPN, ESPN2 so when those networks pass on a game featuring a marquee brand like Alabama football or UK mens basketball because the opponent is weak (i.e. Wright State) the SEC Network is going to absolutely put them on to draw ratings. Theres also an element of equality that goes into the schedule. They aren't for instance going to put UT womens basketball on the network 20 times and lesser schools 5 times. Thats not to say it will be equal all the time but it matters. Some schools actually have personnel whose job is strictly to audit the air time per school on the SEC Network.

Last edited:
Ya, you kind have to get creative with SEC Network online coverage. First, you have to have pretty fast internet connection, or you will be sorely disappointed. I've got comcast, so no issue there. I use AppleTv connected to my big screen. Works pretty good. Works well with Samsung and Apple tablets as well..Speaking of TV coverage..I remember when CBS had women's games..I miss those days..

Reactions: 1 person

You can't get ANYONE, including Dearstone, to talk at any length about Lady Vol basketball on the Sports Animal. They will literally talk about ANY sport, including hockey, but never mention Lady Vol basketball, except maybe a commercial to promote a game the Lady Vols will be playing. It's pretty sad..I'm on the road a lot for work, so I'll listen to the Sports Animal a lot. It's really a shame that Dearstone doesn't have a segment on his morning show just devoted to Lady Vol basketball, and he comes across as an arrogant dirtbag and his two cohorts aren't much brighter..I keep wanting to call in just to argue with those idiots..As a matter of fact, a Lady Vol fan called in this morning and it was liking pulling teeth just to get Dearstone to comment on the Lady Vols, instead, like it usually does with Dearstone and his merry cohorts, the discussion ended with an argument

Last edited:
Before the SEC Network came into being, more Lady Vols basketball games were televised. There were usually only about four or five games that were not televised.

Now, with the SEC Network, there will be nine Online Only games.

The Lady Vols basketball team is probably the only SEC school that was better off without the SEC Network as concerns watching games on television.

Reactions: 3 people
I hook my laptop up to my big screen but if they are broadcasting the game anyway why not on an alternate SEC channel. I thought that was what they were there for. Instead we have 3 channels with just the SEC logo playing on it. What sense does that make?

Reactions: 5 people
If not on SEC network, where do you guys find it??

I'm not quite sure what your question is. The game is streaming on the SEC Network+. That is the alternative to placing a game on the tv SECN broadcast. It's available through the WatchESPN "app", if you have access to the SEC Network as part of your broadcast package.

In response to others, I use Roku attached to my tv. As stated, if you have high speed internet access, the streaming is generally very good. Pretty much the equivalent to the actual tv broadcast, although I have had some problem with dropping and reloading in the past week or two, which has appeared to me to be a problem on the broadcast end and not on my end.

Jim

In response to others, I use Roku attached to my tv.

Jim

For those looking for something to watch the game with Amazon has the Fire TVstick for $40 which has the WatchESPN app. You just plug it in your TV.

As long as you have a cable package where you can see the SEC network then you can watch on the Fire. Or someone who does have the SEC network can give you their login and you can watch.

They have a voice controlled one for $10 more.

I just thought I would mention this with Christmas coming up and people saying how they dislike some of the options they have now. Like Jim says the Roku and a bunch of others will work too.

I hook my laptop up to my big screen but if they are broadcasting the game anyway why not on an alternate SEC channel. I thought that was what they were there for. Instead we have 3 channels with just the SEC logo playing on it. What sense does that make?

I submitted that very question about the alternate channels never having anything to both the SEC office and Dish network. Dish referred me to the SEC office and the SEC office referred me to my provider.

I think Dish network has three different SEC channels in their channel package. The regular and two alternates so they show three different games or programs on tv. I know Charter only has one and don't really know about Direct TV

I agree - incompetence at its finest --- I have all those dead channels from when ESPN Gameplan was around - why not use them ?

Right now I can't access any ESPN website online. Not having difficulty going anywhere else but all the ESPN websites seem to be down.

The watchespn app is working good..Just watched a couple of live events to make sure everything was good to go for the game

I couldn't get it up on my laptop until midway through the first quarter but my wife had it up on her IPad.

I kept getting not authorized user error and I have the SEC network, It happened whenever I tried clicking on a game with the yellow logo. Never happened before and other things on WATCH ESPN worked fine

I also watch the online only games on my tv with Apple TV. The video quality is excellent.

I first tried the Roku Stick, but the Apple TV is much better.

The negative to watching Online Only games is the data usage, especially if you watch in HD. My internet plan gives me 300 GB per month, and I usually get pretty close to my limit.

I think we have 7 online only games left on the schedule.

VN Store

Back