Holly Warlick Post-Game Press Conference Penn state

If Holly doesn't get this team to the Final Four w/ all this talent then she has to go.......enough said, she has nothing but 4 & 5 star talent on the whole bench

Reactions: 5 people
I like Holly and hope she does well but she needs to be more stern. idk how she is in the huddles or at practice but she just seems to nice. She needs to hold people accountable. She never fuss at an individual player when that player does something.

I'm sorry but I've seen the "Holly is too nice" mantra play out by so many people. How do you all know this????? Is their some insider information about Holly that some of us aren't getting about how she treats her players? I was at the SEC tournament and she chewed a hole in Massengale. When fans are watching the game from home, you're watching commercials during moments where Holly is in the huddle talking to her team. Plus idk if anyone else notices but when Holly is upset, she does this "Stomp" that's incredibly loud. It's so hard, I'm surprised she hasn't put a hole in someone's gym floor.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm sorry but I've seen the "Holly is too nice" mantra play out by so many people. How do you all know this????? Is their some insider information about Holly that some of us aren't getting about how she treats her players? I was at the SEC tournament and she chewed a hole in Massengale. When fans are watching the game from home, you're watching commercials during moments where Holly is in the huddle talking to her team. Plus idk if anyone else notices but when Holly is upset, she does this "Stomp" that's incredibly loud. It's so hard, I'm surprised she hasn't put a hole in someone's gym floor.

Amen! There seems to be a theory that all the LVs problems (i.e, lack of NCs) are due to permissive coaching. If Hollt would just give the team 20 good licks with a switch,that would set them straight, give em the discipline they need cause you know kids today, spoiled brats and all with their cell phones and whatnot. So, losing key players to injuries had nothing to do with the LVs "only" getting the great 8 last season; it was just Holly being too damned nice.

Amen! There seems to be a theory that all the LVs problems (i.e, lack of NCs) are due to permissive coaching. If Hollt would just give the team 20 good licks with a switch,that would set them straight, give em the discipline they need cause you know kids today, spoiled brats and all with their cell phones and whatnot. So, losing key players to injuries had nothing to do with the LVs "only" getting the great 8 last season; it was just Holly being too damned nice.

EXACTLY! I just don't undestand it. These people blame Holly like she's the one out there just stand around, like she's the one that's not moving without the ball, like she's the one that makes these dumb passes! When Holly is "wired" during the games, she states everything is fans say on this board. "We're not moving"...."Move the ball." You'd think some of these posters were at every practice, behind the bench within hearing distance during the games, or in the locker room at halftime.

Reactions: 2 people
This has nothing to do with Holly's coaching style. It has everything to do with shooting and playing under control while shooting. This has been going on for years when Pat was HC. Very few have any shooting touch left once they get through with them in their system development.

The team is lacking discipline especially on offense. A higher rate of turnovers, poor percentage shots, and free-lancing, than I believe there should be. It's not horrible, but it's noticeable and has been so for Holly's teams before and should be improved by her. Whether she is too nice or too mean, yells too much or not enough I don't know. But it's up to her to correct these deficiencies.

I generally think things will improve and the team will be ok. But I understand the complaint/observation that Holly is too nice. It's a perception that won't go away until her teams become more disciplined IMO.

Reactions: 1 person
I just think HOlly does NOT play the right combinations on the floor as when she plays Graves and Russel together, you have to have either Middleton or Dunbar out there at all times to space the floor and she does not do that..............

I just think HOlly does NOT play the right combinations on the floor as when she plays Graves and Russel together, you have to have either Middleton or Dunbar out there at all times to space the floor and she does not do that..............

I agree with you in principle, However, Alexa came into the program with a rep for being able to hit threes but she has not yet shown that she can make that shot with consistency. She was 0 for 3 last night.

I do hope she and Jordan find the range. Kortney seems to be getting her shooting groove but she is also playing more in the post area.

These FAHR Holly people are the same ones who want to FAHR Butch. If things are not perfect everyone should be fired. They don't know what goes on behind the scenes or how to solve a problem except to FAHR 'em. :crazy:

Tennessee has some of the most insufferably stupid fans in the entire universe. And I'm not just being haughty; I'm completely convinced of that. The same people who disparage Holly (and Butch or any other coach whose team loses a game or doesn't win by a wide enough margin for their satisfaction) couldn't coach their way out of a paper bag at a pee-wee game. They contaminate every discussion with their abject ignorance.

Reactions: 6 people
The team is lacking discipline especially on offense. A higher rate of turnovers, poor percentage shots, and free-lancing, than I believe there should be. It's not horrible, but it's noticeable and has been so for Holly's teams before and should be improved by her. Whether she is too nice or too mean, yells too much or not enough I don't know. But it's up to her to correct these deficiencies.

I generally think things will improve and the team will be ok. But I understand the complaint/observation that Holly is too nice. It's a perception that won't go away until her teams become more disciplined IMO.

I would add to these items timing and will. The LV's need better timing on both offense and defense. The five players on the court aren't always acting together as a unit.

As for will, the LV's have been unable to enforce their will on quality opponents the past few seasons.

Force of will is especially a reflection of the head coach. The team needs to get mentally tougher. Much tougher if they want to compete for and win a championship.

This has nothing to do with Holly's coaching style. It has everything to do with shooting and playing under control while shooting. This has been going on for years when Pat was HC. Very few have any shooting touch left once they get through with them in their system development.

with Warlick's coaching style. She is soft. She is a player's coach, probably because she was an assistant for 30 years and in that role had to be supportive of the players, not crack on them like PS did. Have you EVER seen Warlick chew out a player on the sideline after a bad mistake? I haven't. Why do we play sloppy basketball year after year after year--making games closer than they should be like, oh, like the Penn State game two nights ago. Why do you think UCONN is so good? Because Geno is a hard ass who doesn't tolerate mistakes and drills his team relentlessly. It's pointless to go on about it now. We'll know by the end of the year whether this team is sharp or underachieving.

Amen! Holly doesn't seem to have a grasp thus far as HC in finding the best combinations on the floor. That's why I think Kortney should play more when Russell and Bash are in the game together. She can "stretch" the defense with her range, and her height is helpful when it comes to feeding the post.

Carter and Jones need to ride the pine. Neither would play much for the elite coaches. They are disasters waiting to happen on offense, and I'm not seeing the defensive prowess most seem to think they possess, especially Jones!

Reactions: 2 people
EXACTLY! I just don't undestand it. These people blame Holly like she's the one out there just stand around, like she's the one that's not moving without the ball, like she's the one that makes these dumb passes! When Holly is "wired" during the games, she states everything is fans say on this board. "We're not moving"...."Move the ball." You'd think some of these posters were at every practice, behind the bench within hearing distance during the games, or in the locker room at halftime.

So the head coach isn't ultimately responsible?

These FAHR Holly people are the same ones who want to FAHR Butch. If things are not perfect everyone should be fired. They don't know what goes on behind the scenes or how to solve a problem except to FAHR 'em. :crazy:
So what should everyone's expectations of Holly be?

Tennessee has some of the most insufferably stupid fans in the entire universe. And I'm not just being haughty; I'm completely convinced of that. The same people who disparage Holly (and Butch or any other coach whose team loses a game or doesn't win by a wide enough margin for their satisfaction) couldn't coach their way out of a paper bag at a pee-wee game. They contaminate every discussion with their abject ignorance.

200.gif

I like Holly and hope she does well but she needs to be more stern. idk how she is in the huddles or at practice but she just seems to nice. She needs to hold people accountable. She never fuss at an individual player when that player does something.

I have said that many times she has no fire like the other top coaches, to me she is to soft.

Maybe her team doesn't respond well to that, her players already have a burning desire to be better, but get frustrated by the process, Holly doesn't need to be hollering and screaming, that need to come from the players, there has to be a certain level of play or standard that has to come directly from the leaders of the team.

She can stomp and holler but in reality, she will prolly reach only two players. You don't have to scream at me to motivate me, just make me better.

I would like to see more one on one conversations during timeouts and or free throws to give instructions, Pat was so good at this...an opportunity to get perfection or make a player better, instructions should be immediate, you seldom see her pull players over...that will hopefully get better, cos you can help a player, letting them know what your seeing...

I.e. A player might think they are hitting the boards, hey Cortney, I'm going to watch next couple of possessions to see if you gone to get on the boards, hey assistant coaches, I need one of you to watch, hey team we will watch to see if Cortney hits the boards, rather than having to wait til the end of the game.

Accountability is low right now, the season is young, with a new team but it should be better once Diamond is a star on the floor, and is the team leader with Russell.

We need three players playing like All Americans night in and night out! Who will they be?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back