Why so quiet in victory?

madtownvol

Come on LV fans! If PSU had won, there would be 19,000 post decrying the plight of the LV program and why Holly can't.

But they won (a bit ugly) so let's spend some time on that.

First off, Graves brought it with a Capital B. She was awesome and it is hard to see how she could have played any better. She won't shoot 100% every night but if she comes with that kind of effort game in game out, it will be a fun year. Impressed by the improvement in her shot and she is getting better elevation than last year.

DeShields, still rusty and maybe feeling the leg problems. On the plus side, she gave a good effort on defense and showed she could contribute with the Magic johnson styled passing. But, the LVs are going to need her to put points on the board, if they are going to compete for a title. As CPS once said to Chamique Holdsclaw, "we did not bring you here to lead the team in assists."

Mercedes, mostly good. She got some blocks, finished well at the rim and ran the floor well. But, she got also got blocked and tied up in the post which really should not happen to a 6-6 player. I worry that she might struggle against wide body posts.

Cooper - good energy and lots of positive signs but she is still early in the freshman learning curve. I think she will be dynamite by the seasons end.

Everyone else - need to step up their games. Reynolds, Dunbar, Middleton, Carter, Jones (who gets a little pass for having been out a season) all need to play better. Too many turnovers, too many missed open looks, too many times caught out of position on defense and so forth.

A win is great but a close game with PSU, who loses their best player in the first quarter, should be a wake-up call.

Finally, I think the rule changes have effected the refs more than the players. They seemed to blow their whistles at random.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
I think the team did everything well tonight except shoot the ball. The first quarter was a turnover fest for us six total but after that we played a lot better handling the ball. The game became close down the stretch because of our failure to shoot the three and we took twelve of them and made one. We really got the inside game going and there is no doubt in my mind that this team is far superior to last year's team.
We need more from Reynolds, Jones, and Carter as they all had bad games last night. Reynolds and Jones took a lot of shots with almost 0 production.
Brilliant game by Graves saved us tonight from a bad loss. Penn State made some very well guarded shots they have some talent and played as well as they can play.

Reactions: 1 person
I just now woke up, so that's my excuse. It was a pretty blah performance except for Graves and the last 5 minutes or so for the rest of the team. Unlike football though, you can afford a couple of zombie games or even losses and be OK.

These rule changes are ridiculous....is there a reason why?? It certainly did not make the game more exciting unless you like a game of fouls and the ref blowing a whistle!!! I think this will take some getting used to....

These rule changes are ridiculous....is there a reason why?? It certainly did not make the game more exciting unless you like a game of fouls and the ref blowing a whistle!!! I think this will take some getting used to....

This to the -nth power. I find the new NCAA rules extremely frustrating and aggravating. They might as well require players to quickly have balls and chains attached to their legs each time they transition to defensive play! I felt the same exact agitation watching our men's game against Georgia Tech. I would really hate to be a long time and established coach whose approach has always been winning on the basis of fielding tough and aggressive defensive squads. It has to feel like trying to catch a fish without having a hook at the end of the line.

Why so quiet in victory?

probably because of the stuff you listed :)

They need to get better fast for sure. Hope Diamond is just knocking the rust off her shot but she made some great passes. Girl can play. Te'a Cooper and Graves looked pretty good also and Russell remaining healthy will be the difference. Need her on the glass.

My guess is to speed up the game. The new foul calls are going to be tough for defensive teams.

Armani needs some work with Graves, he can't hit one from under the basket. i listened to the mens game on the radio and could not tell who had the ball most of the time. I hope this women team jells into a contender, well on the way.

It's about getting more money from more commercials.

GO LADY VOLS!

Good defenders use their legs and their bodies to make things difficult for the opponent. They use their midsection--they bump; not a little but just enough. You can't take that out of the game; it is the way good defenders have played for ages. You especially can't take the modest bump from defenders in the paint. There will be too many foul calls and no defense. I agree with taking aggressive hand-checking out of the game--that was becoming an issue, but you have to let a defender use his/her body some.

I think the team did everything well tonight except shoot the ball. The first quarter was a turnover fest for us six total but after that we played a lot better handling the ball. The game became close down the stretch because of our failure to shoot the three and we took twelve of them and made one. We really got the inside game going and there is no doubt in my mind that this team is far superior to last year's team.
We need more from Reynolds, Jones, and Carter as they all had bad games last night. Reynolds and Jones took a lot of shots with almost 0 production.
Brilliant game by Graves saved us tonight from a bad loss. Penn State made some very well guarded shots they have some talent and played as well as they can play.

I think getting Jaime Nared will help big time as for Jones she should not be handling ball.

Reactions: 2 people
Jones is a turnover waiting to happen. She is athletic but seems to have limited basketball IQ.

If Graves continue to play like she did Wednesday, she will be a huge difference maker. She proved that she can be a load even among trees. This team has the talent to get much, much better.

Last edited:
Good defenders use their legs and their bodies to make things difficult for the opponent. They use their midsection--they bump; not a little but just enough. You can't take that out of the game; it is the way good defenders have played for ages. You especially can't take the modest bump from defenders in the paint. There will be too many foul calls and no defense. I agree with taking aggressive hand-checking out of the game--that was becoming an issue, but you have to let a defender use his/her body some.

Insightful and intelligent points, AC. Hopefully, the current whistle-happy tendency of the refs is amped up to get across the message that there are new rules in place. As the season progresses and they feel everybody is on the same page, maybe they will stop calling fouls for what is otherwise good and sound defensive play. If this isn't the case, the new rules will have altered the game far more than the shot clock ever did.

Your thoughts?

Come on LV fans! If PSU had won, there would be 19,000 post decrying the plight of the LV program and why Holly can't.

But they won (a bit ugly) so let's spend some time on that.

First off, Graves brought it with a Capital B. She was awesome and it is hard to see how she could have played any better. She won't shoot 100% every night but if she comes with that kind of effort game in game out, it will be a fun year. Impressed by the improvement in her shot and she is getting better elevation than last year.

DeShields, still rusty and maybe feeling the leg problems. On the plus side, she gave a good effort on defense and showed she could contribute with the Magic johnson styled passing. But, the LVs are going to need her to put points on the board, if they are going to compete for a title. As CPS once said to Chamique Holdsclaw, "we did not bring you here to lead the team in assists."

Mercedes, mostly good. She got some blocks, finished well at the rim and ran the floor well. But, she got also got blocked and tied up in the post which really should not happen to a 6-6 player. I worry that she might struggle against wide body posts.

Cooper - good energy and lots of positive signs but she is still early in the freshman learning curve. I think she will be dynamite by the seasons end.

Everyone else - need to step up their games. Reynolds, Dunbar, Middleton, Carter, Jones (who gets a little pass for having been out a season) all need to play better. Too many turnovers, too many missed open looks, too many times caught out of position on defense and so forth.

A win is great but a close game with PSU, who loses their best player in the first quarter, should be a wake-up call.

Finally, I think the rule changes have effected the refs more than the players. They seemed to blow their whistles at random.
You know people complain about watching women's basketball..and what do they bring in rules that make it hard to watch. All the fouls really slow down the action and detract from the game. I have been a long time supporter of women's sports and I found this game so hard to watch!!! I won't blame it all on the fouls because the turnovers were awful too!!!

try giving penn state some credit. they are a good coached team.

They are a well coached team. But they lost their best player in the first quarter and were playing a LV team with far more depth and talent on The SUMMITT.

The LVs should have been able to get some separation but they kept shooting themselves in the proverbial foot with turnovers-- and the turnovers were generally due to bad decisions on the court (forcing passes, dribbling into double teams, a general level of stagnation). During the game, Holly kept yelling for more off the ball movement but the LVs were too often standing around and ball watching.

On the plus side, they also had some good stretches (enough to win) and some moments of brilliance all of which show their potential.

They have some tough games coming up and they need to quickly tighten up on these weak points. It is early but we have seen, in recent seasons, we have seen early season flaws carry over into the conference and tournament schedule. So, it would be nice to see the LVs put in a few dominating performances against some better early season opponents.

The refs and their constant whistles made the game difficult to watch....Just touching was a foul for either team.

she definitely was limping. her missed layup was because she was trying to favor her leg, imho.

she definitely was limping. her missed layup was because she was trying to favor her leg, imho.

Yes, I think so to. There was a play before that miss (I can't remember exactly where in the game) where Diamond went up for a rebound and seemed to land a little awkwardly. She was definitely favoring that leg afterwards. Hopefully, it was just a tweak that will pass and not related to the more chronic problems.

VN Store

Back