Penn State

boxerpupsrcool

I took the liberty to kind of "scout" penn state to see what kind of team we are facing tomorrow night. They do have a lot of height, including a 6'6 mcdonalds AA senior. Should be a good warmup game for South Carolina.

First off, they added transfer Brianna Banks, who previously played for geno for three seasons, she transferred and sat out last year. She's been solid for penn state averaging around 20+ points per game in their first two games this season. Would love to see Cooper, Carter, or Jones completely shut her down.

They also added a couple more MCdonalds AA freshman point guards, one of which starts for them and is averaging double digit points so far.

Penn state is significantly better this year than last, so this should be a good early test for our lady vols. I still think we win this one quite comfortably though and I'm going with a prediction of 88-60. any other thoughrs in the game??

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Holly said that to her knowledge everyone is good to go... However I don't see her going in with that exact line up.. I don't see that being the starting 5 for this year either but hey I'm not the head coach nor can I look into the future

A 28-point win over a solid team with four of our players playing their first game? I'd settle for an 8 point win.

I thank 88-60 is a big spread, I do like the 88 but may be 78 instead of 60. so 88 -78

A 28-point win over a solid team with four of our players playing their first game? I'd settle for an 8 point win.

You have a point. My prediction is a bit ambitious. I might be underestimating Penn State a bit based on last years results but I understand they are much better this season. Will be interesting to see how much the team dynamics change with almost the entire roster ready to go tomorrow.

Holly said that to her knowledge everyone is good to go... However I don't see her going in with that exact line up.. I don't see that being the starting 5 for this year either but hey I'm not the head coach nor can I look into the future

I agree. I don't think it will be the same lineup. Maybe diamond starts this time around. I'm guessing Russell and graves down low and Reynolds and carter in the backcourt. Although I don't think she could go wrong with the starting lineup she used for central arky. to me cooper and Dunbar earned starting spots. Hard to bench graves though.

Regardless of the final score, it will be good to see the young ladies play.

They do look strong.

Holly said in the presser yesterday that she was going with the same starting five from the Central Arkansas game. She said because they were her most productive group and they haven't lost so she has no reason to take them out the starting lineup:blink:. I don't get Holly's way of thinking. Now is the time to get your five best starters on the floor jelling together before we get to the Texas game.

Reactions: 1 person
Holly said in the presser yesterday that she was going with the same starting five from the Central Arkansas game. She said because they were her most productive group and they haven't lost so she has no reason to take them out the starting lineup:blink:. I don't get Holly's way of thinking. Now is the time to get your five best starters on the floor jelling together before we get to the Texas game.

I love it. The bar has been set. Now if you want to be apart of this team, do the things the right way. Go out and play your best and your hardest.

Production is the name of the game, we've been missing, we've been playing the favorite game too long, it doesn't matter about class but quality of play, consistency, my favorites are those who play well together, and this starting five warrants a couple of more games playing together, each played a role, it was recognizable, with a comfort and confidence, I haven't seen from a Lady Vols team in a while...

Most of our athleticism is on the bench, and experience is on the bench, and that makes me feel good, excited to see Nia and Jones and Meme play.

But these are the best high IQ basketball players on the team, this starting five, maybe besides Meme.

PSU starts 6'2 - 6'3 - 6'4
Offensively I get the 4 around 1 player, it will draw 2 of their bigs out on the circle. Once of the big girls will HAVE to be out on Dunbar.

Defensively, this isn't going to work. Middleton/Carter/Cooper should not be guarding a 6'2 post. Unless we go zone, which we won't. We will be pressing full court tonight.

IDK....

Yeah, I think we press, the best way to combat a strong post game, speed the game up, pressure, take time off the shot clock.

Height doesn't mean a thing, if you want to defend someone, you have to want to get it done, keep the player in front of you, height is overrated if teams or players aren't able to take advantage of mix matches, one of our achilles heels.

This game should highlight our versatility and depth.

I love it. The bar has been set. Now if you want to be apart of this team, do the things the right way. Go out and play your best and your hardest.

Production is the name of the game, we've been missing, we've been playing the favorite game too long, it doesn't matter about class but quality of play, consistency, my favorites are those who play well together, and this starting five warrants a couple of more games playing together, each played a role, it was recognizable, with a comfort and confidence, I haven't seen from a Lady Vols team in a while...

Most of our athleticism is on the bench, and experience is on the bench, and that makes me feel good, excited to see Nia and Jones and Meme play.

But these are the best high IQ basketball players on the team, this starting five, maybe besides Meme.

You can't say its your most productive group. She has nothing to compare it to. They only had 6 available to play versus an overmatched opponent of course they're going to look like the 2011 Heat.

I think 88 to 60 sounds about right. We have a lot more scoring punch than last season plus the defense is better.

Reactions: 1 person
Except for opponents that you know we need to bury in the first five minutes (and Penn St isn't one of them), I don't think it matters who starts. With this team, everyone who is available to play will get PT. They are all that good. The most productive people will be on the floor at crucial moments. By the start of the SEC season, you all are going to be yelling that we should only play 7-8 people and the others should be glued to the bench.

VN Store

Back