Observations

teacherdean

I looked at a lot of women's basketball Friday through Sunday. If we are concerned about the future of the Lady Vols, then LSU fans must be rabid over their women's program. It seemed as though Nikki had them on the right track, but it appears the train has derailed. Louisiana Monroe was 6 seconds from handing them their 2nd straight loss. Losing to Wake Forest, which is far from the top of the ACC women's basketball food chain, was bad enough, losing to La. Monroe would have been a major embarrassment.

This program has major issues. If LSU plans to keep Nikki she will need to raise this program from the ashes. This will take a major recruiting effort. A good program must be able to at least keep some of their top players at home. I see she has done some oversees recruiting, however, non of those players seem to be major talent, capable of turning around a program in disarray.

USC had somewhat of a problem putting Ohio State away, however, experience and talent over came a very young and talented program. I think that every team that play against SEC teams will give it their best shot. There is a lot of jealousy out there over the ideology that the SEC is the best women's basketball conference, especially the ACC and the Big 10(16). Beating an SEC team is a feather in one's cap. I believe we will prevail, however, we need to take Penn State and Syracuse down early and hard.

Louisville has a young talented team, mixed in with a few veterans, however, a young tall talented team beat them. There was no doubt as to who had the most talent, however, height and rebounding won out. Cal will be a hand full for most teams with the height they can put on the floor. The Pac 12 is no longer, Stanford and everyone else.

Baylor has a chance to be a more talented version of Cal. Not only do Baylor have the height but they have the talent to go with it. I do not have a clue, at least I am pretending, how Miss Tight Pants convinced that much height and talent to by pass other major schools and land in Waco.

Genno is Genno, enough said.

From what I see, women's basketball should be very exciting this year. For the first time, since I have started following women's basketball, the field is more level than it has been in the past. The fun part is that the Lady Vols have the talent to be a major player.

Reactions: 1 person
Nikki has failed miserably at LSU. She should've stayed her rear end at UCLA where she was actually building a good product.

Reactions: 6 people
Nikki has failed miserably at LSU. She should've stayed her rear end at UCLA where she was actually building a good product.

That is the same thing I said! She chose to return to the SEC far too soon especially having to recruit against your Alma Mater, her poor decision has hurt her and will probably lead to her firing. At UCLA she support and talent. A lot of the talent that essentially would have come out of the state relocated due to Hurricane Katrina and having to compete with US, SC, Mississippi State, Texas A&M and other schools who have been successful in the past or recently and staffs with decent recruiters has hurt her. She will find herself out of a job and probably end up at La Tech on Tyler's bench if she doesn't turn it around quickly.

I suspect she is gone from LSU after this season. I see double digit losses and they will make a change. She hasn't been able to recruit down there which is strange with all the great players in the south and they had some tradition with past coaches. It will be a sad ending for her hopefully she gets another shot somewhere else if they let her go which really seems likely to me.

Reactions: 2 people
It has been less than 2 years ago that a large majority of our "fans" wanted Holly gone and hire Nikki to take her place.......
From what I see, our Lady Vols are in a very good place right now !

Reactions: 8 people
It has been less than 2 years ago that a large majority of our "fans" wanted Holly gone and hire Nikki to take her place.......
From what I see, our Lady Vols are in a very good place right now !

pretty definitively whether Warlick can coach or not. I have never been in favor of hiring Caldwell, who has not really impressed at lsu. I've also never liked her habit of being glammed up on the sidelines--dressed to the nines, high heels, etc. The best coaches are never the best dressed.

I've also never liked her habit of being glammed up on the sidelines--dressed to the nines, high heels, etc. The best coaches are never the best dressed.

Where do you come up with these maxims? Muffet McGraw, Pat Summitt, even Kim Mulkey (if you go for the trailer trash aesthetic) have expensive wardrobes that they bring to the sidelines and many others could be named. The number of men's coaches who wear designer suits on the sidelines is also quite extensive. Of course, Caldwell is very attractive; is that your issue?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Where do you come up with these maxims? Muffet McGraw, Pat Summitt, even Kim Mulkey (if you go for the trailer trash aesthetic) have expensive wardrobes that they bring to the sidelines and many others could be named. The number of men's coaches who wear designer suits on the sidelines is also quite extensive. Of course, Caldwell is very attractive; is that your issue?

I love Pat but she dressed like she had a warehouse full of K-Mart gift cards that were about to expire if she didn't use them all up fast enough. Why someone needed a personal shopper to get that look is something I will never understand.

And Mulkey? She looks like she crawled out of a terrarium somewhere and is in search of a heat lamp.

Either that or she is part of a lounge act that is performing in Vegas as soon as the game is over.

I always thought Caldwell dressed the nicest of the bunch. But if she wears high heels onto wooden courts then that is just disrespectful.

If there is any correlation at all it is probably between how much coaches are paid and how expensive their clothes are. Since winners get paid more they will on average where nicer clothes.

It doesn't matter to me. They can all coach naked for all I care. I saw Steve Spurrier without his shirt on once. What more can they do to me?

I love Pat but she dressed like she had a warehouse full of K-Mart gift cards that were about to expire if she didn't use them all up fast enough. Why someone needed a personal shopper to get that look is something I will never understand.

Congrats! You must be shopping at some high end Kmarts. In general, Pat went for the understated but business professional look, designer brands not optional;
pat-summitt-tx2.jpg

espnw_a_summitt_sidelines_800.jpg

never dressed like Caldwell, please. Summitt dressed pretty poorly, to be candid, for most of her career--and nobody cared. As she and the program became more successful, she started wearing nice clothes--but nothing flashy. Same with McGraw. Caldwell dresses like she's going to swanky soiree--she is all glammed up. Does it reflect on her coaching? No, not necessarily. I am just a touch leery of coaches who seem to care a little too much about how they look on the sideline. And it's not just the clothes. If you watch Caldwell during a game, she is also very low key and very poised. She acts lke she's at a garden party. What can I say: I think most great coaches tend to be intense and obsessed with how their basketball team is playing, and are totally absorbed in their teams. I don't get that sense from watching Caldwell. It's a superficial observation, I admit, but I do think you can tell a bit about coaches based on watching how they operate during games.

Sometimes I wonder if AC on the same planet as we are.

Reactions: 3 people
never dressed like Caldwell, please. Summitt dressed pretty poorly, to be candid, for most of her career--and nobody cared. As she and the program became more successful, she started wearing nice clothes--but nothing flashy. Same with McGraw. Caldwell dresses like she's going to swanky soiree--she is all glammed up. Does it reflect on her coaching? No, not necessarily. I am just a touch leery of coaches who seem to care a little too much about how they look on the sideline. And it's not just the clothes. If you watch Caldwell during a game, she is also very low key and very poised. She acts lke she's at a garden party.

Okey dokey

3d563592cf432ac1da797d213445885f_crop_north.jpg

Reactions: 3 people
Sometimes I wonder if AC on the same planet as we are.

What I find amusing is that last year, there were posters, not necessarily AC, who were lamenting that Holly's poor fashion choices were a bad reflection on the program, displayed a lack of professionalism, turned recruits away, and pretty much marked the decline of Western civilization.

Just an interesting contrast to hear that being concerned about how one appears on the sideline is now offered as a sign of being poor coach.

What I find amusing is that last year, there were posters, not necessarily AC, who were lamenting that Holly's poor fashion choices were a bad reflection on the program, displayed a lack of professionalism, turned recruits away, and pretty much marked the decline of Western civilization.

Just an interesting contrast to hear that being concerned about how one appears on the sideline is now offered as a sign of being poor coach.

I'm not sure why there was ever any issue with how Holly dresses to begin with. She isn't a fashion icon, but she doesn't need to be and I don't think any reasonable person expects her to be. What she wears looks nice, it looks professional, and it is perfectly suited to the job she's doing.

I alternately dislike and am amused watching Mulkey stalk the sidelines; nine times out of ten, she looks as if she could just as easily be keeping the books at the Chicken Ranch. I don't like McGraw's style, either, though she doesn't do tacky nearly as well as Mulkey. Caldwell's style isn't really suited for the basketball court, either, though it is far above Mulkey's or McGraw's. Holly dresses similarly to VanDerveer, Staley, Karen Astin, and a plethora of other coaches who choose to dress professionally without looking ridiculous, outlandish, or wholly uncomfortable while coaching in stilettos or form-fitting skirts. (And quite frankly, if Holly came out wearing something a la Mulkey or even Caldwell, I'd have a difficult time picking my mouth up off the floor, as would many fans.)

That said, at the end of the day, what a coach chooses to wear is a matter of personal style. Whatever you or I, as basketball fans, may think of their choices, they have a right to wear whatever they please as long as it is appropriate and doesn't reflect negatively on their program. Their clothing does not determine their coaching ability, and given the fact that the fans aren't there to watch a fashion show, it really shouldn't be a point of concern. Unless a coach is wearing something utterly ridiculous, I'm not sure why anyone even brings it up. It doesn't matter.

Last edited:
...coaching in stilettos or form-fitting skirts. (And quite frankly, if Holly came out wearing something a la Mulkey or even Caldwell, I'd have a difficult time picking my mouth up off the floor, as would many fans.)

That said, at the end of the day, what a coach chooses to wear is a matter of personal style. Whatever you or I, as basketball fans, may think of their choices, they have a right to wear whatever they please as long as it is appropriate and doesn't reflect negatively on their program. Their clothing does not determine their coaching ability, and given the fact that the fans aren't there to watch a fashion show, it really shouldn't be a point of concern. Unless a coach is wearing something utterly ridiculous, I'm not sure why anyone even brings it up. It doesn't matter.
I really like Kim and Baylor. Got to know them in Des Moines. However, sometimes I am picking my mouth off of the floor when she comes out, but I think it is her court persona, and the girls love it:dunno:.

Your last paragraph is exactly right.

Oh, and thank you for writing in English; typos I understand, but :banghead2::mf_surrender::no:.

I really like Kim and Baylor. Got to know them in Des Moines. However, sometimes I am picking my mouth off of the floor when she comes out, but I think it is her court persona, and the girls love it:dunno:.

I'm not a fan of Mulkey, and I'm not a fan of Baylor (the school or the basketball program). However, I will freely admit that Mulkey can be entertaining. Her desperate, hystrionic, jacket-rending reaction to the loss to Louisville two years ago was positively classic.

Oh, and thank you for writing in English; typos I understand, but :banghead2::mf_surrender::no:.

I don't understand people who make comments insinuating (or outright stating) that grammar and proper syntax don't matter on message boards. To me, when the written word is your ONLY means of making a point, you need to write clearly and correctly. If you want to be taken seriously, it's the only option. If it's important enough to say, it's important enough to say correctly. There's nothing noble or endearing about looking uneducated (or under-educated), even on a sports board. Not counting the random typo, which everyone makes, when I see people consistently using poor grammar and sentence structure, I know I can immediately discount them. If they don't care enough to clearly articulate their ideas, I don't care enough to take them or their ideas seriously.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I think that people tend to forget that Kim Mulkey is a woman of the south.. Southern women are timeless classic gorgeous and glamorous. Did yall forget that Kim Mulkey played under Sonja Hogg and she was miss designer suits and heels

Your last paragraph is exactly right.

I suspect she is gone from LSU after this season. I see double digit losses and they will make a change. She hasn't been able to recruit down there which is strange with all the great players in the south and they had some tradition with past coaches. It will be a sad ending for her hopefully she gets another shot somewhere else if they let her go which really seems likely to me.

Nikki's contract runs through 2019.. She's not going anywhere unless LSU wants to cough up enough cash to buy it out at $300K/yr.

CONTRACT CLOSEUP: Combing through the contracts of LSU's head coaches - Football

I think that people tend to forget that Kim Mulkey is a woman of the south.. Southern women are timeless classic gorgeous and glamorous. Did yall forget that Kim Mulkey played under Sonja Hogg and she was miss designer suits and heels
J'adore, I'm a "woman of the south" and thank you very much for the compliment:blush:. However, I was raised by a very proper mama, and therefore I can tell you Kim frequently misses the mark in her attire. Having said that, I was also raised by a Southern gentleman father and can tell you Kim is to be respected and treated as a lady. So...yes, sometimes her attire has me wide eyed, but it has nothing to do with her as a person and certainly not as a coach. After all, we all love Dolly. I did not mean to disparage Kim in any way.

I'm not a fan of Mulkey, and I'm not a fan of Baylor (the school or the basketball program). However, I will freely admit that Mulkey can be entertaining. Her desperate, hystrionic, jacket-rending reaction to the loss to Louisville two years ago was positively classic.
I couldn't blame her. In my opinion that game was a farce on the part of the refs. I wouldn't want Holly to act like that, but I felt sorry for the Baylor team.
QUOTE=ivyleague;12091528]I don't understand people who make comments insinuating (or outright stating) that grammar and proper syntax don't matter on message boards. To me, when the written word is your ONLY means of making a point, you need to write clearly and correctly. If you want to be taken seriously, it's the only option. If it's important enough to say, it's important enough to say correctly. There's nothing noble or endearing about looking uneducated (or under-educated), even on a sports board. Not counting the random typo, which everyone makes, when I see people consistently using poor grammar and sentence structure, I know I can immediately discount them. If they don't care enough to clearly articulate their ideas, I don't care enough to take them or their ideas seriously.

I definitely agree with your first statement, but must disagree with the second. I did HR for a blue collar company and very quickly learned lack of education did not mean lack of intelligence. After that I did HR for a technical company full of PhDs. In both jobs you would be surprised how many hands I had to hold:). My point is: I saw very little difference in intelligence between the two groups, there was a lot of difference in education and frequently in self confidence.

We are all ignorant about something, but stupidity is permanent; ignorance is correctable.

I will respect a post with poor grammar and sentence structure. However, most of us are on this board to communicate (discounting the few trolls that love to show up). I just fail to understand why anyone would intentionally post something that is basically intelligible.

Which celebrity do you look like? please don't say Phyllis Diller.

I personally resemble an older Bruce Willis..

VN Store

Back