2016 Recruiting

Linda Lee

I do not understand why we have not been able to sign any new players for next year. Does anyone know what is going on? Did we really go after any of the top players that have signed elsewhere?

Please share if you all have thoughts. I thought we would be in good shape when we came out ranked at number 4 and by having the great players we have this year!!

What are we doing wrong?

That is just cruel. She will wade through those and not find any answers.

To save her the trouble, if anyone knows why we have whiffed on everyone this year (barring picking up McCoy on Monday) they aren't talking. I suspect there are some people on the recruiting circuit who have an idea but they haven't really weighed in.

Next year Russell will be our only true 4-5 which is probably one of the reasons we have moved Dunbar to a stretch-4 sort of hybrid position.

Our futility in attracting posts the last couple of years is inexplicable.

yes, we have moved Dunbar for the reason Voluble states. A major fail by the staff, that's for sure.

Reactions: 1 person
Hope we get McCoy on Monday, I would do a double flip if we do. But really thank she will go to Ohio St. with her sister in a package deal.

We had a long list of players in the beginning seems they pushed for some more than others and the ones they pushed for got away to other teams there wasn't any backups left. I figure if McCoy signs with Ohio State we'll go the JUCO route for a post player. We don't want to go into a season with Mercedes, Dunbar, and Jones. It might happen but there are JUCOS out there that can play and I suspect we'll take at least one.

Reactions: 2 people
We had a long list of players in the beginning seems they pushed for some more than others and the ones they pushed for got away to other teams there wasn't any backups left. I figure if McCoy signs with Ohio State we'll go the JUCO route for a post player. We don't want to go into a season with Mercedes, Dunbar, and Jones. It might happen but there are JUCOS out there that can play and I suspect we'll take at least one.

That's if the JUCO wants to come, which I don't see why not but we did lose out on the Evelyn Akhator who chose Kentucky. We could also go the graduate route like SC did when Sarah Imovbioh joined them after graduating early from UVA but still having a year of eligibility left. I would like to know who are the top JUCO Post Players out there, I would also like to know if Holly may have changed her mind and went after the 6'9" Post Felicia Aiyotan from Jersey and who are the Post scheduled to graduate this year but will have a year of eligibility left. Essentially all we need is a player to help us for 1 season while we hopefully land a few top post in 2017 and 2018

We will only have 10 scholarship players next season. That leaves 5 available scholarships. The staff needs to sign somebody. Even if it's just a 4 star with room to develop or a Juco or graduate transfer.

Their is not a website out there that ranks women's college JUCO players. Only males, and it list only top 20. But you can find websites that 'rank' womens's JUCO teams, and you can do your own homework and see what leading teams are led by their post players.

Their is not a website out there that ranks women's college JUCO players. Only males, and it list only top 20. But you can find websites that 'rank' womens's JUCO teams, and you can do your own homework and see what leading teams are led by their post players.

Thank you! Will do!

That is just cruel. She will wade through those and not find any answers.

To save her the trouble, if anyone knows why we have whiffed on everyone this year (barring picking up McCoy on Monday) they aren't talking. I suspect there are some people on the recruiting circuit who have an idea but they haven't really weighed in.

Next year Russell will be our only true 4-5 which is probably one of the reasons we have moved Dunbar to a stretch-4 sort of hybrid position.

Our futility in attracting posts the last couple of years is inexplicable.

McCoy? Bet we don't...:)

GO LADYVOLS!

I do not understand why we have not been able to sign any new players for next year. Does anyone know what is going on? Did we really go after any of the top players that have signed elsewhere?

Please share if you all have thoughts. I thought we would be in good shape when we came out ranked at number 4 and by having the great players we have this year!!

What are we doing wrong?
Whats happening is UCONN #1,ND is #2, Maryland is #3 and USC is #1 in the SEC. The Lady Vols are yesterday's news until they make it back to the Final Four and beat Geno. Then recruits will come back to Rocky Top.

I think we can get by with one post player and save the four scholarships for 2017. There is a really good post player in New York JUCO college staff needs to go and get her.

Eternati Willock 2016 forward from Canada. Hoopgurlz #33 in the class. Only 6'2" but is working on a faceup game.

USJN-July 2014: "Explosive mid-post game attacks rim with high-motor effort; active on glass; developing faceup game; mobile in uptempo, defends out of area." (Olson)

USJN-July 2013: "Quick and athletic interior game; versatile defender out of post; long frame, quick leaper, rebounder deluxe and active on glass; emerging offensive threat."(Olson)

I like the part about "rebounder deluxe".

Eternati Willock 2016 forward from Canada. Hoopgurlz #33 in the class. Only 6'2" but is working on a faceup game.

USJN-July 2014: "Explosive mid-post game attacks rim with high-motor effort; active on glass; developing faceup game; mobile in uptempo, defends out of area." (Olson)

USJN-July 2013: "Quick and athletic interior game; versatile defender out of post; long frame, quick leaper, rebounder deluxe and active on glass; emerging offensive threat."(Olson)

I like the part about "rebounder deluxe".
I was reading over on UNC board. She was supposed to go to UNC and for some reason had trouble with admissions. She is from Canada I think. They didn't specify the problem.

I was reading over on UNC board. She was supposed to go to UNC and for some reason had trouble with admissions. She is from Canada I think. They didn't specify the problem.

Considering the academic fraud at UNC, maybe the trouble with admissions was her deciding she didn't want to be admitted:p. I don't see how they are staying afloat. The NCAA must really have dual standards.

I love the Lady Vols, no matter what the recruiting issues are, or are not, but if we believe that there are no recruiting issues that need to be resolved we are fooling ourselves. We need to quit giving excuses and placing our hopes on next year. How many previous post said don't worry about 2015 recruiting there are plenty of post players in the 2016 class. How many posters said don't worry because we do not have any verbals in the 2016 class, we will be okay. Now we are saying the same thing about 2017 and 2018. How many of the top teams whiffed for 2016? Don't look it up because there is only one and you know who that is.

We have to deal with the here and now. If you think recruiters will not use our whiffs in the recruiting game, to try and convince top recruits to avoid UT, you are insane. The reasons why top post are avoiding to commit to the UT program, is not just traveling away from home, dishonest recruiting, or top post are scared of Russell. Now, like many of you I hope the last three recruiting year post whiffs have just been a fluke, however, 2017 will speak volumes. For it will leave no doubts or excuses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Omggggg you all are saying the same thing over.....and over.....and over....and over again! We get it, we missed out! What is sulking and being negative going to do about it???? Don't talk about posters that has simply realized we missed on recruits, has moved on and are looking forward to the 2017 class. The sky hasn't fell yet for some of us.

Reactions: 6 people
The only position we really need players is the post. We have guards out the ying yang. From 2016, the top forward and top post stayed close to home. It's pretty harsh criticism that the coaching didn't compel a player or two to move hundreds of miles to play basketball for us. It happens. There's no conspiracy or sky falling. Some years it works out. Some it doesn't.

If we start losing top prospects that we really want in our own backyard with some consistency then I'd be more apt to worry.

We have Mercedes for 3 more seasons and there are TWO quality post players in 2017 that ARE in our backyard: KK and Dorie. Hopefully we will get one or both of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
The only position we really need players is the post. We have guards out the ying yang. From 2016, the top forward and top post stayed close to home. It's pretty harsh criticism that the coaching didn't compel a player or two to move hundreds of miles to play basketball for us. It happens. There's no conspiracy or sky falling. Some years it works out. Some it doesn't.

If we start losing top prospects that we really want in our own backyard with some consistency then I'd be more apt to worry.

We have Mercedes for 3 more seasons and there are TWO quality post players in 2017 that ARE in our backyard: KK and Dorie. Hopefully we will get one or both of them.

...and we got inside help for Dorie...

...and we got inside help for Dorie...

Dorie (imo) should be a serious lock based on her sisters (DeeDee and Izzy) being former lady vols and the likelihood that she could possibly start as a freshman (something Izzy didn't do) should be more than enough to get her here. KK will also likely come if we keep our efforts up and we snag Dodson (who I believe is her AAU teammate)

Dorie (imo) should be a serious lock based on her sisters (DeeDee and Izzy) being former lady vols and the likelihood that she could possibly start as a freshman (something Izzy didn't do) should be more than enough to get her here. KK will also likely come if we keep our efforts up and we snag Dodson (who I believe is her AAU teammate)

Uhh that's the inside I was speaking of.

Nared redshirt would make me feel better. :)

I do not think this staff intentionally tried not to get a player in this class, but I think they are getting back to the Lady Vols way of recruiting getting mentally tough, hardworking players, players who love playing the game and getting better. This year we wasn't able to find that match, and that happens, cos the following two years 2017 and 2018, we have ladies, players who want to be a lady vol more than anything else and they are skilled.

Thank you for not just taking a player for the sake of taking a player, one player can distrupt the team chemistry, and I love the team chemistry now, so if you take a player who doesn't fit the culture, Holly is trying to create, well that means as a coach and staff you adjust, a redshirt year for Nared, would be ideal. Wha? ijs...

I think the reason people get the sky is falling worry is that we used to never have this problem even if they came from far away.

VN Store

Back