Ohio State vs. USC

teacherdean

Ohio State is playing USC SEC style. They score is 78 to 80 USC with 2:04 left in the game. This could be a decision maker for Tori McCoy.

Tennessee was going to get Ohio State point guard Mitchell until they hired her dad and give her sister a place on the team as well, looks like they will do the same thing to Tennessee again.

Her sister is 2017

I mean Tori....with Carretti's signing with OSU, they are full for next season, aren't they? They have 2 seniors this year and now have 2 incoming commits to take their roster spots. They have 15 scholarship players including those 2 seniors, if I counted correctly. So where would they put Tori?

I mean Tori....with Carretti's signing with OSU, they are full for next season, aren't they? They have 2 seniors this year and now have 2 incoming commits to take their roster spots. They have 15 scholarship players including those 2 seniors, if I counted correctly. So where would they put Tori?

I guarantee someone will disappear from the team

Teams have been pulling the sign two players to get one star stunt for years--you see it in football and basketball and other sports too. You want a top recruit, s/he has a brother/sister who plays who's not all that good, not really worth a scholly, or a best friend, you offer both to get the star--and the other player mostly sits. You gotta play the game sometimes; it is a bit unethical, but it is what teams do. It's not like we don't have room at the end of the bench--we never see to have more than 12 players and women's basketball gets 15 scholarships, as I understand it--more than it should get. Recruiting is dog eat dog--integrity gets you squat.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Here's another thing: I don't know when the McCoys started making demands about package deal with the younger sister, if in fact that is true. Was it recent? I certainly hope that we didn't waste time on this prospect if the staff knew for a while that the family wanted both girls to go to the same school. If that looks to be a hurdle, you've either got to accept it or move on to other prospects. My sense is that this must have been an issue that arose somewhat recently.

Jasmine Walker is 6'3" and a really good prospect need to get her on the dotted line instead of Florida State or Auburn.
Then nevermind seems she has narrowed her choice to Georgia, Auburn, Florida State and SC and will announce on the 16th of November another and final strike against Tennessee. Holly has officially at least from the high school ranks recruited a class of 0. That is if rumors are true that McCoy is Ohio State bound. Totally amazed we couldn't sign one player.

Last edited:
Lets just move on. After watching the game I am looking forward to playing SC. Their defense is suspect and they need all their posts as they all foul. We need to press them and get them in foul trouble. Plus Wilson goes left, obviously Ohio St didn't get the memo. make their posts hit jumpers and then box em out, they will go over the top and foul.

Jasmine Walker is 6'3" and a really good prospect need to get her on the dotted line instead of Florida State or Auburn.
Then nevermind seems she has narrowed her choice to Georgia, Auburn, Florida State and SC and will announce on the 16th of November another and final strike against Tennessee. Holly has officially at least from the high school ranks recruited a class of 0. That is if rumors are true that McCoy is Ohio State bound. Totally amazed we couldn't sign one player.

I don't know why, but I think Tennessee only went hard after Cox and McCoy. I think McCune was dropped and we never heard Tennessee's name associated with any other post players in this class.

I don't know why, but I think Tennessee only went hard after Cox and McCoy. I think McCune was dropped and we never heard Tennessee's name associated with any other post players in this class.

or this is what happens.

If Holly only went after two players, she is a bad recruiter. You go for the top five or ten, in hopes you will get one. It looks like we are unable to recruit any hybrid 4/5 players either. There are still a few out there. :mf_surrender:

If Holly only went after two players, she is a bad recruiter. You go for the top five or ten, in hopes you will get one. It looks like we are unable to recruit any hybrid 4/5 players either. There are still a few out there. :mf_surrender:

I'm not sure, but we haven't heard Tennessee's name associated with any other post players realistically. I think McCune wanted to come, but by her playing the waiting game to verbal end up hurting her because her stock had continued to drop. The other post players were Cox and McCoy. I'm not say Holly and staff didn't look at other post players, but I think they only went hard after McCune, McCoy and Cox. Someone in the know correct me if I'm wrong.

It's not that we didn't recruit more than 2 players this class.
We made the top lists of:
#1 Lauren Cox
#2 Joyner Holmes
#5 Erin Boley
#6 Alecia Sutton
#9 Leaonna Odom
#10 Tori McCoy
And that's just the top 10. It's just that they all chose other schools from their final lists, not that they weren't recruited by Tennessee.

Reactions: 4 people
Here's another thing: I don't know when the McCoys started making demands about package deal with the younger sister, if in fact that is true. Was it recent? I certainly hope that we didn't waste time on this prospect if the staff knew for a while that the family wanted both girls to go to the same school. If that looks to be a hurdle, you've either got to accept it or move on to other prospects. My sense is that this must have been an issue that arose somewhat recently.

So what if a family wants both sisters at the same school? It's not an uncommon desire for any family to want their kids in the same school, for a lot of reasons, particularly convenience and the ability of the older kid to look out for the younger one. IF the school has a scholly to spare for the less skilled sibling, what's the harm in giving it to her, as long as the coach makes it clear to everybody that playing time will be limited, so there are no misunderstandings down the road?

I can't remember the last time Tenn used all their schollies, and if having McCoy's (or anyone else's) younger sister sitting at the end of the bench, serving as a practice player, or getting mopup minutes, means we can get a top ten recruit, then I don't see the harm. OTOH, I don't condone any coach withdrawing an existing scholly from someone else to make room for a sibling on the bench.

Reactions: 2 people
So what if a family wants both sisters at the same school? It's not an uncommon desire for any family to want their kids in the same school, for a lot of reasons, particularly convenience and the ability of the older kid to look out for the younger one. IF the school has a scholly to spare for the less skilled sibling, what's the harm in giving it to her, as long as the coach makes it clear to everybody that playing time will be limited, so there are no misunderstandings down the road?

I can't remember the last time Tenn used all their schollies, and if having McCoy's (or anyone else's) younger sister sitting at the end of the bench, serving as a practice player, or getting mopup minutes, means we can get a top ten recruit, then I don't see the harm. OTOH, I don't condone any coach withdrawing an existing scholly from someone else to make room for a sibling on the bench.

we have run out of schollys quite often, Simmons would never had been here if Brewer hadn't transferred, Sims wanted to come to UT but we had no openings, Taber took last scholly when it was offered to her and Kelsey Bone, whomever committed first. Bone wanted to come here, but ended up at SC and then transferred to Texas AM. I believe the Baby Vols maxed us out on them as well.

We have a star Center, who has 3 years to play, we were in good with the top three post, flirting with McCune too, not to mention the transfer from SC who ended up at Ohio St. I think that combined with (all having height 6ft1 or over) Nared, Diamond, Dunbar, Jackson, Reynolds, and Tucker, less so, might have scared post players further down the rankings. I am not surprised we missed out, and we are loaded on guards as well. I am not buying this she won't be coming here all of the sudden, nobody knows, it is all speculation. If she suddenly sprung this "my sister too" stuff, I am not buying it wasn't mentioned when she visited, which just goes to further show, the so called insiders knew and know nothing, or we wouldn't of been leading for her, ever, unless we were agreeing to this package deal at some point. If we were, then I see no reason, now that we whiffed on all the others, we would change our minds. So- either the so called insider info is bogus, or something really strange happened, and instead of being up front and asking about a place for my sister, and then at the end acting psycho and demanding it, which is almost comical to imagine, because the proper approach would be so much easier and likely to happen, or she did, and we agreed, or we never ever lead, and she was never ours to lose, as the info shovellers on here kept telling us.

Last edited:
Brewer was at UT when Simmons came in as a freshman.. Brewer was plagued by injuries again after her stellar sophomore season she left after the 2010-2011 season

we have run out of schollys quite often, Simmons would never had been here if Brewer hadn't transferred, Sims wanted to come to UT but we had no openings, Taber took last scholly when it was offered to her and Kelsey Bone, whomever committed first. Bone wanted to come here, but ended up at SC and then transferred to Texas AM. I believe the Baby Vols maxed us out on them as well.

Unless McCoy commits and signs with us then the high school list is empty. No one left on our recruiting list. If we sign any players in this class looks to be JUCO so maybe we'll hear a list of those players that could join the team. All we need is a backup post player because Mercedes will be the only true post next season. We'll go with stretch forward types Jones, Dunbar, and Nared if this class becomes a zero.

Here are our roster numbers for the past decade, taken directly from the UT website, and which included redshirts. CPS had a long-standing practice of never taking more than 12-13 players, which was the limiting factor.

’05-06 -- 11
’06-07 -- 11
‘07-08 -- 9
’08-09 -- 12
’09-10 -- 13
’10-11 -- 13
’11-12 -- 11
’12-13 -- 11
’13-14 -- 11
‘14-15 -- 14
’15-16 -- 12

[Last year's "large" roster included 3 RS's and a transfer.]

Does anyone know for a fact that McCoy was either asking or demanding that her sister be included as a package deal, or is this just all speculation?

VN Store

Back