Biggest Impact?

Orange_Mamba

As the season approaches, which player outside of Diamond do you believe will have the biggest impact?

For me it's Jasmine. She replaces Burdick's production on both ends of the board. So we won't see that much of a drop off from rebounding. From what I've seen she's gotten much better offensively. She's improved her ball handling. Aggressively attacking the basket looking to score. Not that bad of a three point shooter when she chooses to shoot beyond the arc. Also, she's the best lock down defender we've had in years. Jas is head and shoulders above Draya when it comes to defense.

Reactions: 3 people
Honestly mine were Jones and Nared! I've been excited about JJ every since last year because before she got injured it's like she finally realized how good she could be on BOTH ends of the floor with her length! She brings intense defense and solid rebounding. Carter is a quick defender but for some reason isn't quite good at stopping the dribble, drive. Jasmine has the ability to shut down a Tiffany Mitchell, or maybe a Breanna Stewart, if given the opportunity, she has the speed and length to keep up and blanket both. Before getting injured last year she had improved her decision making and offensive game, contrary to popular belief on this board. She's shown she has range to the 3pt line, I think with a year off to study the game and to get stronger, Jasmine will surprise us and prove to be instrumental to our return to the FF!

Nared showed me glimpses of a potential scoring machine last year. She would have some games where she looked like a typical freshman, however in other games she showed she had a solid offensive game. Given her size and skill set on the wing she can step up and be a solid 10-13 point contributor. I'm hoping her injury doesn't derail her sophomore season because I expected a lot out of Jamie this season. I saw a "Sophomore sensation" campaign instead of a "Sophomore slump" campaign for Nared.

Reactions: 1 person
If you are talking about a "go-to" player, then, hands down, Mercedes Russell.

That said, I think there any number of players who have the potential to have a tremendous impact. I think Nared, Carter, Reynolds, Jones, Cooper, and Graves ALL can (and hopefully will) be outstanding players with "go-to" potential at any given moment. That's also not discounting Dunbar, Moore, Middleton, and Jackson; I don't necessarily think those four are "go-to" players, but they all have a huge upside if they will stay focused and continue to improve their game (Middleton, especially).

I'm very excited to see how this season plays out. If the team can stay healthy, I honestly think they could contend for a title. There are people out there who have already awarded UConn an 11th championship trophy, but I don't think UConn is a lock by any means. As far as the SEC, there are people who insist that USC is a better team than UT; I disagree, and not just because I'm a UT fan. I think Tennessee has all the pieces to match up with anyone and to come out on top (particularly against USC . . . Russell, Graves, and DeShields are every bit as good as if not better than Wilson, Coates, and Mitchell, and UT's bench is superior). The team just needs to stay healthy and focused.

Reactions: 3 people
If you are talking about a "go-to" player, then, hands down, Mercedes Russell.

That said, I think there any number of players who have the potential to have a tremendous impact. I think Nared, Carter, Reynolds, Jones, Cooper, and Graves ALL can (and hopefully will) be outstanding players with "go-to" potential at any given moment. That's also not discounting Dunbar, Moore, Middleton, and Jackson; I don't necessarily think those four are "go-to" players, but they all have a huge upside if they will stay focused and continue to improve their game (Middleton, especially).

I'm very excited to see how this season plays out. If the team can stay healthy, I honestly think they could contend for a title. There are people out there who have already awarded UConn an 11th championship trophy, but I don't think UConn is a lock by any means. As far as the SEC, there are people who insist that USC is a better team than UT; I disagree, and not just because I'm a UT fan. I think Tennessee has all the pieces to match up with anyone and to come out on top (particularly against USC . . . Russell, Graves, and DeShields are every bit as good as if not better than Wilson, Coates, and Mitchell, and UT's bench is superior). The team just needs to stay healthy and focused.

+10000....one thing I was so excited to hear from Holly was how hungry this team is. That let's me know they are focused and intend on returning to a title game. Like you said, all we need to do is stay the freak healthy! If we do that I have a feeling Diamond and Mercedes the #1 and #2 players of the 2013 class will stop the #1 and #2 players of the 2012 class from making history! It's just too perfect a storyline!!! I'm so excited for this season!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
no need to fix it Big Orange

I'm sure she will be more aggressive with her healthy for a change

I am going a different direction, however, I agree with all the comments. Te'a will be a hand full when she gets in the game. She is special. She has all the tools to be an impact player, even coming into a game off the bench. I am not disrespecting Carter, but, Te'a might been the Lady Vols' second best guard. Her speed and ball handling will blow your mind. Don't give her a crack in the paint for she will take you to school.

I believe that this is a special team loaded with talent. I can't wait to see them in action.

Last edited:
I'm not putting a lot of stock into either Te'a or Diamond till I see them play and see how well they are team players or not

Reactions: 2 people
I'm not putting a lot of stock into either Te'a or Diamond till I see them play and see how well they are team players or not

Agreed, but as BigOrangeD wrote, on talent alone we should make the final 4, However, winning the NC will require teamwork. The teams at that point all have great talent.
While I'm confidant Te'a will be a great player eventually, it's difficult for a freshman pg to make an immediate impact at the top collegiate level. It's a huge step up. I wouldn't want to see expectations for Cooper to get out of hand.

I understand your position, but the skill sets are there.

they have the skill set,at this level it will depend a lot on team chemistry too,it will be fun to see how they come together this year

and hopefully no damn major injuries for a change

I am with a lot of others Russell could have a huge year but I expect Jasmine to be great also and could chew into Graves playing time.

VN Store

Back