UConn Series

livefaith

Holly is that you?

Since you went there, this brings up a touchy subject that I've tried to ask over the years and it has never gotten anywhere. So here goes yet again.

Pat pulled the UConn series over "the recruitment of Maya Moore" (or alledged recruiting improprieties) according to conventional wisdom, and maybe Pat's own testimony. But, nowhere that I know of has Pat (or anyone in the UTAD) given an actual (non-ambiguos) reason why the biggest series in WCB was cancelled.

Does no one find that odd, at the least? If Butch cancelled the Alabama TSO game because Nick "did something ambiguous that pissed him off in recruiting, would Vol Nation just go "okay, if Butch says so"? No. It would be a mattress burning affair of state wide proportions

UT fans often do an ostrich-like "head in the sand" because "Pat said so, and that's good enough for me, and I don't need to know any more than that". What?!? That's really pathetic and a little bit bewildering IMO.

So back to why I thought of this. I heard a story a few months after the original uproar over the series cancellation. The story was supposedly a couple of hands out from the UTAD (UTWAD?) and was the actual reason for the "feud" between Pat & Geno.

The story was that what pi$$ed Pat off @ Maya's recruitment was that "Geno had spoken with Maya's mother about Pat, Holly, and others working purposely to turn the UTLVBB into a 'lesbian factory'. Thus more specifically that the staff was active in "converting" (errrrr, uhhh helping them find out how they were really born :-\ ) new recruits into lesbians. That ultimately caused Maya's family to flip her to Geno. For whatever reason this offended Pat so bad that she cancelled the series."

Now, that's the story I heard. Can anyone either confirm any of it as true? Or can anyone confirm an actual reason why the series was cancelled? Because, "I'm mad cause you cheated" ain't cuttin' for me folks".

That's all I got.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Holly is that you?

Since you went there, this brings up a touchy subject that I've tried to ask over the years and it has never gotten anywhere. So here goes yet again.

Pat pulled the UConn series over "the recruitment of Maya Moore" (or alledged recruiting improprieties) according to conventional wisdom, and maybe Pat's own testimony. But, nowhere that I know of has Pat (or anyone in the UTAD) given an actual (non-ambiguos) reason why the biggest series in WCB was cancelled.

Does no one find that odd, at the least? If Butch cancelled the Alabama TSO game because Nick "did something ambiguous that pissed him off in recruiting, would Vol Nation just go "okay, if Butch says so"? No. It would be a mattress burning affair of state wide proportions

UT fans often do an ostrich-like "head in the sand" because "Pat said so, and that's good enough for me, and I don't need to know any more than that". What?!? That's really pathetic and a little bit bewildering IMO.

So back to why I thought of this. I heard a story a few months after the original uproar over the series cancellation. The story was supposedly a couple of hands out from the UTAD (UTWAD?) and was the actual reason for the "feud" between Pat & Geno.

The story was that what pi$$ed Pat off @ Maya's recruitment was that "Geno had spoken with Maya's mother about Pat, Holly, and others working purposely to turn the UTLVBB into a 'lesbian factory'. Thus more specifically that the staff was active in "converting" (errrrr, uhhh helping them find out how they were really born :-\ ) new recruits into lesbians. That ultimately caused Maya's family to flip her to Geno. For whatever reason this offended Pat so bad that she cancelled the series."

Now, that's the story I heard. Can anyone either confirm any of it as true? Or can anyone confirm an actual reason why the series was cancelled? Because, "I'm mad cause you cheated" ain't cuttin' for me folks".

That's all I got.

So, "I'm mad cause you cheated" doesn't cut if for you but this outlandish tale passes muster? :ermm:

Reactions: 8 people
It's a question. Any answers?

I think Geno is too good of a recruiter to risk alienating such a large segment of the women's basketball talent pool. Do you really think he would risk the reputation of being homophobic? That would be almost as bad for him as being a racist. He has had gay players just like everyone else.

Reactions: 2 people
Holly is that you?

That's all I got.

Your story was message board fodder for a short time after PS cancelled the series. She couldn't publicly point to that without unwanted consequences. Instead a mishmash of alleged recruiting violations were
assembled and submitted to the NCAA to justify her sctions.
It may very well be that Moore's decision to attend UConn was partly influenced by the atmosphere at UT but I really doubt that Auriemma had anything to do with it. It's not like the UConn program is lesbian free.

UConn welcomes lesbians

Until both parties are open and honest about the situation, there will always be rumors about why, started by people who are the farthest away from the situation. The sources are only Geno/Pat. Nobody else. I tend to go with what the ESPN insiders say, they are usually ahead of the game when it comes to 'breaking' news (by the way, this is old news and no longer relevant), but again, can't say 100% why, nobody can.

I really don't understand the whole lesbian factory idea at all. I find the term very disrespectful to associate it with a program like Tennessee or UCONN. It's obvious the rumor was started (years ago) by someone trying to keep this story alive. It's dead, it's over.

Directed towards anyone thinking there could be truth to this:
During Pat's era, her only goal was to win national championships. Hence, why she has won so many. Pat recruited players that she knew could help her win championships. We know this to be true because it's well documented and well-known that she had great and sometimes amazing recruiting classes. Moral of this story = Lady Vols basketball were after winners. This is simple middle school logic.
My point being, I don't like Geno, but Geno is smart. I have to give him credit where it's due. That is why I can't even wrap my finger around the idea that he could ever really think to tell a recruit that Pat was only trying to make lesbians. Seriously, just sit back and think about that for second.

I wholeheartedly believe that Geno would probably say something negative about our program. But, I also believe, the negative thing he would say, would at least sound believable for a recruit to believe. How can you tell a recruit ... "Well, all they are worried about is converting you" ... really? 8 national championships, 18 final fours ... and he really expects someone to believe all Tennessee is interested in is this? Give the guy SOME credit here people.

Stop drinking the kool-aid!

Until both parties are open and honest about the situation, there will always be rumors about why, started by people who are the farthest away from the situation. The sources are only Geno/Pat. Nobody else. I tend to go with what the ESPN insiders say, they are usually ahead of the game when it comes to 'breaking' news (by the way, this is old news and no longer relevant), but again, can't say 100% why, nobody can.

I really don't understand the whole lesbian factory idea at all. I find the term very disrespectful to associate it with a program like Tennessee or UCONN. It's obvious the rumor was started (years ago) by someone trying to keep this story alive. It's dead, it's over.

Directed towards anyone thinking there could be truth to this:
During Pat's era, her only goal was to win national championships. Hence, why she has won so many. Pat recruited players that she knew could help her win championships. We know this to be true because it's well documented and well-known that she had great and sometimes amazing recruiting classes. Moral of this story = Lady Vols basketball were after winners. This is simple middle school logic.
My point being, I don't like Geno, but Geno is smart. I have to give him credit where it's due. That is why I can't even wrap my finger around the idea that he could ever really think to tell a recruit that Pat was only trying to make lesbians. Seriously, just sit back and think about that for second.

I wholeheartedly believe that Geno would probably say something negative about our program. But, I also believe, the negative thing he would say, would at least sound believable for a recruit to believe. How can you tell a recruit ... "Well, all they are worried about is converting you" ... really? 8 national championships, 18 final fours ... and he really expects someone to believe all Tennessee is interested in is this? Give the guy SOME credit here people.

Stop drinking the kool-aid!

I think the one who needs to quit drinking is the one who first posted the idiotic theory.

Pat and Gino had their differences, (and I side with Pat), but that post is either just stupid or trying to cause turmoil. And I agree with your summation; Gino might be a lot of things, but he's not dumb.

Holly is that you?

That's all I got.

Pat Summitt said publicly that she told Geno why she stopped playing his team. She told him that if he wanted to make it public he was welcome to do so. I think Geno has chosen to keep the reason to himself.

Reactions: 7 people
Your story was message board fodder for a short time after PS cancelled the series. She couldn't publicly point to that without unwanted consequences. Instead a mishmash of alleged recruiting violations were
It may very well be that Moore's decision to attend UConn was partly influenced by the atmosphere at UT but I really doubt that Auriemma had anything to do with it. It's not like the UConn program is lesbian free.

UConn welcomes lesbians

Thanks. That is interesting. Until one of the two (or a confidante) lays out the real reason, then we're in the dark.

So, what I'm hearing here is that something along the lines of the rumor may have some reality behind it, but the parties and the ADs are keeping everyone in the dark @ it.

I must say, that something sensitive took place and nobody wants to talk about it. That's why I'm thinking that the rumor has legitimacy. It makes sense from way things have been handled publically.

And, no (whoever said it) this story is not dead. It's just ran it's course dead ending in a UTAD/UCAD info blockade. As long as this stands, all manner of rumors will continue.

Thanks again for sharing.

Holly is that you?

That's all I got.

I can confirm that what you heard was nonsense.

I think the one who needs to quit drinking is the one who first posted the idiotic theory.

Pat and Gino had their differences, (and I side with Pat), but that post is either just stupid or trying to cause turmoil. And I agree with your summation; Gino might be a lot of things, but he's not dumb.

Ironically, I don't drink.

And no, neither of your weak assertions about the post are accurate. So, it appears that you are a "ostrich type" concerning this.

Explain how it is that you are so passionately in love with being kept in the dark while the greatest seasonal WCB matchup is erased indefinitely. You took a side (made a judgment) and are comfortably ignorant of what actually happened. Stop, and let that sink in for a minute.

Some people are not comfortable with negative changes followed by a cover-up. That's why questions are asked. Stupid is more closely related to being a blind follower who loves and defends ones ignorance.

BTW, his name is Geno. The second most respected coach in WCB history.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geno_Auriemma

and for you laughing folks, do you remember a time when most of you were alive when the cry of fans following football, and basketball (men and women) 'we need to recruit more players of color!" and there were those 'living their faith" in the South who were strongly opposed

And now a biracial President and a woman running for the office! ( with a smile)

UConn welcomes lesbians
But this happened after Moore was gone. I commented on this article when it first came out. I mentioned how it was supposedly because Geno told Maya's mother that TN was a bunch of lesbians that she chose uconn; which to me meant uconn wasn't. You wouldn't believe the venom I was greeted with. One poster did say it was because Pat encouraged them to keep their orientation to themselves that uconn was the one that was accepting of lesbians.

But this happened after Moore was gone. I commented on this article when it first came out. I mentioned how it was supposedly because Geno told Maya's mother that TN was a bunch of lesbians that she chose uconn; which to me meant uconn wasn't. You wouldn't believe the venom I was greeted with. One poster did say it was because Pat encouraged them to keep their orientation to themselves that uconn was the one that was accepting of lesbians.
One more thing and this is why I know Geno knew something was going to happen in the series. He was commentating for the WNBA that year and one of the other commentators asked him about the series with Lady Vols and he said that series will continue as long as I don't do something to screw it up. It wasn't long after the series ended. Anyone else see or hear that comment?

But I do digress let us get back on topic.

Ironically, I don't drink.

And no, neither of your weak assertions about the post are accurate. So, it appears that you are a "ostrich type" concerning this.

Explain how it is that you are so passionately in love with being kept in the dark while the greatest seasonal WCB matchup is erased indefinitely. You took a side (made a judgment) and are comfortably ignorant of what actually happened. Stop, and let that sink in for a minute.

Some people are not comfortable with negative changes followed by a cover-up. That's why questions are asked. Stupid is more closely related to being a blind follower who loves and defends ones ignorance.

BTW, his name is Geno. The second most respected coach in WCB history.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geno_Auriemma

There's an old saying, "don't wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it."

So you go on ignore and I'll stay clean:thumbsup:.

It is always amusing to me to read the experts conclusions to this situation. Like they really have access to what Geno said to his recruits and what Pat said to whoever. I guess some people just need to feel important.

UCONN was cheating. It was Georgia, not UT that reported them to the NCAA. So it was somewhat well known. Geno is an *******, who wants everything to be about him. Pat tired of the the games together becoming "wrestling type hyped, with mean talk" events. She spent her career building the game of WCBB this was a shame, and an insult to the spirit of the game. Yes, Geno said such things to more than Maya's mom, and probably hinted at it to reporters who came to her with respect, instead of printing it. She never wanted a game to be about her, and or Geno. You combine all that, mainly the blatant cheating, and Pat decided not to continue helping him change the game into something like pro wrestling. It seems very simple to me.

Bear Bryant stopped playing Georgia Tech for largely the same reason. To continue the series would just be a reason to rack up the old garbage that went with the series. Until Geno is gone, UT will never schedule them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people

VN Store

Back