Luaren Cox to Baylor

VOL720

Just thought we should start a thread. I know its posted in the recruiting thread. I for one thought she was headed to Notre Dame.

Last edited:
Mulkey changed her staff 2 years ago. Since then ... the top 2 post players in the 2015 class: Kalani Brown and Beatrice Mompremier and now the clear #1 best player in the 2016 class.

I think Coach is doing a fine job for the Lady Vols. We have quality recruits (2 top 50 from 2015 ... none this year so far) but we should be getting a top recruit every now and then and that's what her assistants are for.

It was close to home,” Cox said. “All the schools that I visited had great coaching staffs and great teams. That’s what it came down to.

Mulkey changed her staff 2 years ago. Since then ... the top 2 post players in the 2015 class: Kalani Brown and Beatrice Mompremier and now the clear #1 best player in the 2016 class.

I think Coach is doing a fine job for the Lady Vols. We have quality recruits (2 top 50 from 2015 ... none this year so far) but we should be getting a top recruit every now and then and that's what her assistants are for.

I'm hoping Law is working her sources to get McCoy to Knoxville. The thought of going into next season with only one true post player is scary. We also have a very tough schedule next season. I bet you Kim Mulkey will be walking into TBA with a big grin on her face. Brown, Monpremiere and Cox will be a scary frontcourt and I think may have a better post rotation than South Carolina. I got to give it to Mulkey, she's an excellent recruiter.

Please none of this during football season. No one really cares right now.

I do. I go to every Lady Vols basketball game I can possibly get away to attend. I watch the football games on TV if I don't have anything more entertaining or pressing to do , but I would never pay to attend one. I just don't care that much about football. Add that to the fact that you are on a LADY VOLS forum. If you want to discuss football, go to the football forum.

Only those with some form of personality disorder assume that everyone thinks the way they do about everything. To suggest that no one really cares about basketball (women's or otherwise) right now is a monumentally asinine assumption. Next time, think before you type.

For what it's worth, I'm fairly confident that Tennessee will get McCoy. If not, it's not the end of the world, either for the Lady Vols or anyone who posts here.

Reactions: 5 people
What, do they have a big wrap around mural they put up down there so none of the recruits can actually see Waco when they visit? I did a lot of business there back in the late nineties. I guess I should give it the benefit of the doubt that its much nicer now.

Reactions: 2 people
If you're correct then their staff is really kicking our staff's butt in recruiting. They have a really nice campus.

What, do they have a big wrap around mural they put up down there so none of the recruits can actually see Waco when they visit? I did a lot of business there back in the late nineties. I guess I should give it the benefit of the doubt that its much nicer now.

Reactions: 1 person
If you're correct then their staff is really kicking our staff's butt in recruiting. They have a really nice campus.

I don't think it's fair to say they are kicking our butt in recruiting. They've had a couple nice years yes, but Tennessee has almost had an embarrassment of riches with recruits. We can't really complain when we have basically three number one ranked players in Deshields, Russell and Cooper all on the team. These players were ranked 1st by various recruiting services. Hell, even UConn is ranked low in recruiting for 2016. We will probably land McCoy and people can start to calm down a bit..

I don't think it's fair to say they are kicking our butt in recruiting. They've had a couple nice years yes, but Tennessee has almost had an embarrassment of riches with recruits. We can't really complain when we have basically three number one ranked players in Deshields, Russell and Cooper all on the team. These players were ranked 1st by various recruiting services. Hell, even UConn is ranked low in recruiting for 2016. We will probably land McCoy and people can start to calm down a bit..

To be honest we have no idea where any of these recruits will land for sure. Another poster is saying that their sources are saying McCoy to Ohio State. Even though no one is 100% sure, this poster has been accurate with a lot of their posts regarding recruiting.

In 10 years the Lady Vols will be bottom feeders

I do not necessarily think that we will be bottom feeders, however, let us be real we are being out recruited versus ND, Baylor, USC, Louisville, UCONN, and Maryland is not too bad either. I do not care whose to blame but the recruiting has to improve. We as fans need to be concerned about most of the cream bypassing our program no matter how many have us on their top ten list. If we get zero recruits for 2015 we have to admit to ourselves that a problem exist. We have to get McCoy to even think we have at least accomplished any achievements for the 2016 recruiting year. Isn't this the 3rd year we have not fulfilled all of our allotted scholarships?

I do not necessarily think that we will be bottom feeders, however, let us be real we are being out recruited versus ND, Baylor, USC, Louisville, UCONN, and Maryland is not too bad either. I do not care whose to blame but the recruiting has to improve. We as fans need to be concerned about most of the cream bypassing our program no matter how many have us on their top ten list. If we get zero recruits for 2015 we have to admit to ourselves that a problem exist. We have to get McCoy to even think we have at least accomplished any achievements for the 2016 recruiting year. Isn't this the 3rd year we have not fulfilled all of our allotted scholarships?

With the increasing parity in women's basketball today (and hence the increase in viable options for top recruits) there are going to be "lean years"for every program from time to time. Tennessee has done exceptionally well since Holly took over, particularly given what could have happened after Pat Summitt stepped down. The next couple of recruiting classes look great for Tennessee. The team is loaded right now, and while it will be thin in the post next year if McCoy chooses Ohio State, it won't be insurmountably so. There is too much talent over the course of the next few years for that to be the case.

And please . . . USC is NOT doing that well in terms of recruiting since the Wilson class. Sure, Dawn picked up a couple of decent transfers, who will have two years of eligibility left, but they have utterly bombed on elite high school recruits for the past TWO years (2015 and 2016).

Winning 30 games a year means crap if you can't get by the elite 8 and back to a final four with a realistic chance of a title.

which big transfers from Baylor first?

There is nothing saying any of them will transfer; there's a good likelihood they will all stay at Baylor. (Personally, I cannot imagine anyone jumping at the chance to go to Baylor, given the school's ultra-conservative philosophy and ideology, but everyone's different. They've got some decent sports programs, so maybe if you aren't gay or don't mind being indoctrinated with right-wing propaganda and talking points, it doesn't matter.) However, if I had to choose one that is most likely to transfer, I'd go with Mompreimer. Baylor is close to home for both Brown and Cox, and I think that is important to a lot of players (and their parents). Of course, if Mompreimer gets a lot of playing time (and from all accounts, she is better than Brown and will be more experienced than Cox), she likely will not want to transfer.

Really, there's no sense speculating. It is what it is.

With the increasing parity in women's basketball today (and hence the increase in viable options for top recruits) there are going to be "lean years"for every program from time to time. Tennessee has done exceptionally well since Holly took over, particularly given what could have happened after Pat Summitt stepped down. The next couple of recruiting classes look great for Tennessee. The team is loaded right now, and while it will be thin in the post next year if McCoy chooses Ohio State, it won't be insurmountably so. There is too much talent over the course of the next few years for that to be the case.

And please . . . USC is NOT doing that well in terms of recruiting since the Wilson class. Sure, Dawn picked up a couple of decent transfers, who will have two years of eligibility left, but they have utterly bombed on elite high school recruits for the past TWO years (2015 and 2016).

Ivy, while I agree with much of what you said. We do have what I believe is a top four team, however, I would like for us to at least get two top 100 players, even in lean years. I still think we need to be concerned if we do not have a good 2017 recruiting class. I hope you are right. I still disagree with fans who think we should only recruit 5 stars only and ignore 4 stars.

Last edited:
Ivy, while I agree with much of what you said. We do have what I believe is a top four team, however, I would like for us to at least get two top 100 players, even in lean years. I still think we need to be concerned if we do not have a good 2017 recruiting class. I hope you are right. I still disagree with fans who think we should only recruit 5 stars only and ignore 4 stars.

I think given the players currently on the team, and the top recruits in 2017 and 2018 for whom, by most accounts, Tennessee currently leads, it's not unreasonable to think that 2016 might be a "lean year" for the Lady Vols. I do think Tennessee lands McCoy.

Keep in mind, the fan base really has no idea what the coaches know in terms of where the players they are recruiting stand. The coaches are better at evaluating talent than fans. They are in contact with the recruits and I'm sure have a fairly decent idea of which way the recruits are leaning; the fans, on the other hand, generally don't know as much as they assume unless they have actual insider information. The fact is, the fan base knows only a fraction of what is going on. I definitely don't think there's any need to panic.

Last edited:
Before everyone starts bashing the coaches, here are a few things to keep in mind:

2013 We land Russell, Tucker, and Reynolds Two top 10 recruits and Reynolds was #42

2014 We land Nared, Middleton and Dunbar. Nared was #5, Middleton was top 30, and Dunbar was top 100.

2014 We also get DeShields via transfer. Depending on which recruiting service you value she was a top 3 recruit in the 2013 class.

2015 We land Cooper and Jackson. Both elite recruits.

Regarding our supposed recent whiffs:

We were in the final two for Holmes, Brown, and Monpremier.

Everyone knew Holmes and Brown were going Texas and Baylor from day one. Their mothers went to those schools. Not to mention Texas hired Tina Thompson, who just happens to be Holmes AAU coach. That's almost as bad as Kevin McGuff hiring Kelsey Mitchell's dad to get her.

Clearly after spending time together, Brown and Monpremier wanted to play together and since that is the case she chose Baylor.

I am impressed we made it into Holmes, Brown, and Monpremier final 2 given those facts.

Regarding Cox she said the following: It was close to home,” Cox said. “All the schools that I visited had great coaching staffs and great teams. That’s what it came down to.

Reactions: 3 people
The past two classes have had so many elite players in Texas. That has played a big part in Texas and Baylor doing so well in recruiting.

I think given the players currently on the team, and the top recruits in 2017 and 2018 for whom, by most accounts, Tennessee currently leads, it's not unreasonable to think that 2016 might be a "lean year" for the Lady Vols. I do think Tennessee lands McCoy.

Keep in mind, the fan base really has no idea what the coaches know in terms of where the players they are recruiting stand. The coaches are better at evaluating talent than fans. They are in contact with the recruits and I'm sure have a fairly decent idea of which way the recruits are leaning; the fans, on the other hand, generally don't know as much as they assume unless they have actual insider information. The fact is, the fan base knows only a fraction of what is going on. I definitely don't think there's any need to panic.

The chatter is heating up on McCoy to OSU.

VN Store

Back