Warlick speaks at the Rotary Club Luncheon

volfanIND

Leadership, trust needed to meet Lady Vols’ expectations - GoVolsXtra Story

Couple quotes:
"I was telling our staff we're going to do everything we can do to not get in the way," she said. "If we're trying to over coach, we're in trouble."

"If we don't get to the Final Four, you all think we've had a bad year," said Warlick, who's entering her fourth season as head coach. "And I get that. I do get that."

Warlick included herself in the objective by saying the new four-quarter game format likely will require her to substitute more often."We're going to have to play a lot more people," she said. "I'm going to have to get my trust level up."

"Sometimes, we get accused of playing dirty," she said. "Basketball is a contact sport and we're going to make contact."

Do we really get accused of playing dirty? All I know I'm excited to see some LVB!

Reactions: 1 person
Why has there been a switch to a four-quarter game--I have missed that rule change? And why does that mean more substitutions? Will the quarters be 12 minutes each--that would mean halves that are four minutes longer than now, which would explain HW's substitution comment.

Why has there been a switch to a four-quarter game--I have missed that rule change? And why does that mean more substitutions? Will the quarters be 12 minutes each--that would mean halves that are four minutes longer than now, which would explain HW's substitution comment.
10 minute quarters. Lots of changes especially in the 10 second back court. 10 seconds doesn't reset every time if ball is knocked out by defense and a few other instances. Game is moving to a more pro style game.

The most game-changing is allowing the ball to be inbound at quarter court after a timeout with ball in play and a few seconds left. Like the pros - an opportunity to score in the final seconds like the pros.

less timeouts and fouls are re counted per each quarter

Also I smiled when i heard that the quarters allow many more opportunities for "entertainment" offerings between the quarters.

L

Leadership, trust needed to meet Lady Vols’ expectations - GoVolsXtra Story

Couple quotes:
..."We're going to have to play a lot more people," she said...

This is not good news to me. I'm not a fan of playing a lot of people. I know most fans think that shuttling lots of players in and out allows you to wear down the opposition. That works when the opposition is inferior to you. But I don't think it works when the opposition is as good as or better than you are. Is Tennessee really going to wear down South Carolina or Notre Dame or UConn? I don't believe that will happen. Beating good teams requires execution. Execution depends upon repetition. Repetition allows players to become comfortable with each other and learn each other's tendencies. Offensive cohesion is maximized when seven to eight players get the bulk of the playing time and practice time. I personally hope that by the time the team leaves for the west coast Holly has picked 7 or 8 players and those players are getting the bulk of the playing time. Maybe I am wrong but this is my opinion and I am fully aware most don't share it.

Reactions: 2 people
So if the game remains 40 minutes, 4 10 minute quarters, why did Warlick say she'd have to play more people? What was she talking about?

I think most coaches, including Warlick, shorten their benches against the tough opponents.

What is this about "recounting fouls" every quarter? That's not a new rule change, I assume. Why would you encourage more fouling?

Last edited:
The most game-changing is allowing the ball to be inbound at quarter court after a timeout with ball in play and a few seconds left. Like the pros - an opportunity to score in the final seconds like the pros.

less timeouts and fouls are re counted per each quarter

Also I smiled when i heard that the quarters allow many more opportunities for "entertainment" offerings between the quarters.

L

Well, they are now playing the same amount of time with more breaks. Hearing Holly's theory that this will require utilizing more players, I would surmise that the excess effort creating this situation for the players means they are the break time entertainment. Maybe they will be split into dance team and t-shirt shooters.

This is not good news to me. I'm not a fan of playing a lot of people. I know most fans think that shuttling lots of players in and out allows you to wear down the opposition. That works when the opposition is inferior to you. But I don't think it works when the opposition is as good as or better than you are. Is Tennessee really going to wear down South Carolina or Notre Dame or UConn? I don't believe that will happen. Beating good teams requires execution. Execution depends upon repetition. Repetition allows players to become comfortable with each other and learn each other's tendencies. Offensive cohesion is maximized when seven to eight players get the bulk of the playing time and practice time. I personally hope that by the time the team leaves for the west coast Holly has picked 7 or 8 players and those players are getting the bulk of the playing time. Maybe I am wrong but this is my opinion and I am fully aware most don't share it.

With 4 quarters instead of 2 halves you should play more players than you would have in the past. The 4 quarters allows you time to rest key players and essentially not get burned for doing so. If a player picks up 2 fouls in the first you can sit them until the half but also have 2 quarters left that you can utilize them instead of having them sit out for a 10 minute stretch which hurts your team. I prefer the 4 quarters when you have a team with as much talent as we have because it allows you to be far more creative with your lineups. I think she would still play the same amount of players it just means you would probably see them shuffling in and out more than you would have in the 2 halves format. Only teams I am truly concerned with this year are UConn, South Carolina, Texas (If Imani Boyette plays to her potential) and possibly Baylor (If their young Post play up to their potential) I think Louisville will need time to gel, I also think Notre Dame will take a step back without Loyd, same for Maryland without Lexie Brown. It is no way we should not be in the final 4 imo (unless there is an injury to Russell) Call me crazy but I think the addition of MeMe and Te'a is crucial because both of them have that killer instinct and could offset a lost of Diamond but to lose Russell with no true help behind her with the size Uconn, SC, and Texas have will be troublesome

With 4 quarters instead of 2 halves you should play more players than you would have in the past. The 4 quarters allows you time to rest key players and essentially not get burned for doing so. If a player picks up 2 fouls in the first you can sit them until the half but also have 2 quarters left that you can utilize them instead of having them sit out for a 10 minute stretch which hurts your team. I prefer the 4 quarters when you have a team with as much talent as we have because it allows you to be far more creative with your lineups. I think she would still play the same amount of players it just means you would probably see them shuffling in and out more than you would have in the 2 halves format. Only teams I am truly concerned with this year are UConn, South Carolina, Texas (If Imani Boyette plays to her potential) and possibly Baylor (If their young Post play up to their potential) I think Louisville will need time to gel, I also think Notre Dame will take a step back without Loyd, same for Maryland without Lexie Brown. It is no way we should not be in the final 4 imo (unless there is an injury to Russell) Call me crazy but I think the addition of MeMe and Te'a is crucial because both of them have that killer instinct and could offset a lost of Diamond but to lose Russell with no true help behind her with the size Uconn, SC, and Texas have will be troublesome

I'm not quite sure what the difference is between playing 2 quarters or a half when one of our players picks up 2 quick fouls. They will probably sit for the rest of the half or the rest of the first quarter and the whole second quarter. Same amount of time, no difference.
I do agree about Russell's importance to the team this year. While we would still beat almost all our opponents without her, she will be indispensable against the top rated teams. We just don't have a viable replacement for her against other top teams.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm not quite sure what the difference is between playing 2 quarters or a half when one of our players picks up 2 quick fouls. They will probably sit for the rest of the half or the rest of the first quarter and the whole second quarter. Same amount of time, no difference.
I do agree about Russell's importance to the team this year. While we would still beat almost all our opponents without her, she will be indispensable against the top rated teams. We just don't have a viable replacement for her against other top teams.

I am just not seeing how 4 quarters changes the strategy that much. Yes, the extra breaks means that you could sub a player at the end of the 1st and 3rd quarters and get some extra rest time, owing to the extra break. However, I don;t see how it changes how a coach manages a foul situation. Player A picks up 2 fouls in the 1st quarter. Is the risk of picking up a 3rd reduced because of a 2nd quarter? Does it change anything if a player gets a 3rd foul at the 5th minute of the 2nd quarter or in the 15th minute of the 1 st half.

Per the need for more substitutes and going deeper in the bench, again it is just not clear why changing how time is blocked out, would necessitate that change. Since players get an extra break after each quarter, I would think the opposite would be the case.

Four ten minute quarters is 40 minutes guess Holly hasn't figured that out yet. She seems to think that were playing more minutes and thus need to substitute more.

I am just not seeing how 4 quarters changes the strategy that much. Yes, the extra breaks means that you could sub a player at the end of the 1st and 3rd quarters and get some extra rest time, owing to the extra break. However, I don;t see how it changes how a coach manages a foul situation. Player A picks up 2 fouls in the 1st quarter. Is the risk of picking up a 3rd reduced because of a 2nd quarter? Does it change anything if a player gets a 3rd foul at the 5th minute of the 2nd quarter or in the 15th minute of the 1 st half.

Per the need for more substitutes and going deeper in the bench, again it is just not clear why changing how time is blocked out, would necessitate that change. Since players get an extra break after each quarter, I would think the opposite would be the case.

I agree with you on both the foul situation and the substitution patterns not changing that much if at all.

10 minute quarters. Lots of changes especially in the 10 second back court. 10 seconds doesn't reset every time if ball is knocked out by defense and a few other instances. Game is moving to a more pro style game.

I assume this is why CHW is saying there will be more players used

and I don't see why there experimenting with the womens program and not the mens too,are the men going to a 4 Quarter game too ?

I don't see why they keep messing with the womens game at all,it has been successful and now they keep messing with it

why is the obvious question and I don't think teams scoring more points is going to change the attendance or viewing on the womens game personally

I assume this is why CHW is saying there will be more players used

and I don't see why there experimenting with the womens program and not the mens too,are the men going to a 4 Quarter game too ?

I don't see why they keep messing with the womens game at all,it has been successful and now they keep messing with it

why is the obvious question and I don't think teams scoring more points is going to change the attendance or viewing on the womens game personally

I think it's to have it mimic the WNBA as closely as possible although the two (NCAA & WNBA) aren't connected per se, they actually are tied together as the top analyst for the womens college games are also tops for the WNBA games and the draft is very much centered around college best players and things of that sort

I know they're doing this to speed up the game, but to do that they need ease up on the ticky tack fouls. The fouls where the off. guard is stationary outside the three point line and the def. guard put her hand on her to size her up. They have to relax on that rule. Since they've enforced that rule the game times almost increased to two hours. And I feel like doing away with the one and one is going to do the opposite of what their trying to accomplish.

Reactions: 2 people
I know they're doing this to speed up the game, but to do that they need ease up on the ticky tack fouls. The fouls where the off. guard is stationary outside the three point line and the def. guard put her hand on her to size her up. They have to relax on that rule. Since they've enforced that rule the game times almost increased to two hours. And I feel like doing away with the one and one is going to do the opposite of what their trying to accomplish.

I hate that rule as well. It also makes the already arbitrary art of officiating, even more arbitary.

the team foul count starts over with each quarter, there will be more fouls, which means playing more players to spread them around.

the team foul count starts over with each quarter, there will be more fouls, which means playing more players to spread them around.

And less time in the bonus so fewer stoppages of play for foul shots which will tire players, also necessitating more substitutions.

From the NCAA website:

"Teams will now reach the bonus and shoot two free throws on the fifth team foul in each quarter. Previously, teams reached a one-and-one bonus on the seventh team foul of each half and reached the double bonus (two shots) on the 10th team foul."

Since the one and one is gone, it takes away the incentive to foul late in game (in hopes that the opponent misses the front end of the one and one). So, the new rule might lead to less fouling, late in the game at least. The one strategic effect that is harder to estimate is the idea of using the fouls to give late in the game to prevent a three point shot or a set play. 5 is less than seven but the time frame is shorter so is a team more or less likely to have some fouls to give (i.e. foul 4) late in the 2 and 4th quarter?

Otherwise, I don't see why there should be an increase in fouls vis a vis the 20 minute half. The new rule seems like it may reduce the average time a given spends in the bonus.

Last edited:
There's no consistency among the officiating. Most of the rules now is geared toward protecting the guards, while the post players look like they're playing a pick-up at Rucker's. The first thing the NCAA should of done to improve the game was fix these awful officials.

I like the rule about defenders not putting their hands on guards. You are supposed to play defense with your legs and feet--lateral movement. It had gotten so that defenders were pushing on guards with the ball, which is impeding their movement. So I have no problem with calling that a foul.

VN Store

Back