Holly Warlick Raise

Fingers

Lady Vols coach Holly Warlick gets $100K raise. Package: $665K. One-year extension leaves her with 4-year contract. Potential bonuses: $235K

Warlick is believed to be 4th highest paid women’s basketball coach in SEC, behind coaches at SC, LSU, Kentucky.

Jimmy Hyams

I guess at Tn you can get raises even though you suck as a coach. D Serrano come on down,your raise is next.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm not saying Warlick is the next Pat Summitt, but her teams have won more than the football, men's basketball and baseball teams. Yes, we as fans want Final Four appearances and compete for National Championships, but have football, baseball and men's basketball even won a SEC Championship the last few seasons let alone advance deep in the post season? Holly also swept her rivals, UK, UF and Vandy, this past season. Yes she can continue to get better, especially with offense, but I wouldn't label her as trash.

Reactions: 8 people
Here we go again....as they say on the football boards, you need to check her stats. When you do, you are going to find they are very, VERY good and they are going to get better this year.

"Under Warlick, the Lady Vols have won or shared an SEC championship in each of the last three seasons. Last season, the team overcame the loss of all-conference center Isabelle Harrison (knee injury) and forward Jasmine Jones (concussion-like symptoms) to win 30 games, share the conference regular season championship with South Carolina and reach the Elite Eight round of the NCAA tournament."

How excited would the fan base be to have this record in football or men's basketball?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Some people don't have to worry about living paycheck.
to paycheck. But here in the real world…………..

I guess at Tn you can get raises even though you suck as a coach. D Serrano come on down,your raise is next.

Probably will double Butch's salary tomorrow after he beats a hapless bunch of Hogs.

I'm not saying Warlick is the next Pat Summitt...

The biggest difference between Pat and Holly is that Pat built a program from nothing. Holly inherited a successful program that Pat built, with the players that Pat recruited, and the staff that Pat hired. Holly is counting on the reputation and goodwill that Pat established at Tennessee to get new talent. A ready-built dynasty fell into Holly's lap and she has underachieved with what was given to her. Has the program won a lot of games the last few years? Yes! But does the credit for those wins go to Pat or Holly? I have yet to see Holly accomplish anything on her own merit. The jury is still out.

I think we have the last of Pat's players in the program so we'll see. I would not say Holly sucks. She appears to be improving in my opinion. Would love to see her get a quality post this year.

The biggest difference between Pat and Holly is that Pat built a program from nothing. Holly inherited a successful program that Pat built, with the players that Pat recruited, and the staff that Pat hired. Holly is counting on the reputation and goodwill that Pat established at Tennessee to get new talent. A ready-built dynasty fell into Holly's lap and she has underachieved with what was given to her. Has the program won a lot of games the last few years? Yes! But does the credit for those wins go to Pat or Holly? I have yet to see Holly accomplish anything on her own merit. The jury is still out.
your joking right? Pat left with 5 seniors!, who started! the SEC and NCAA tournament. Of what Pat left player wise, Cierra, and maybe Kikmo is playing in the WNBA, that is hardly leaving a rich team! Possibly the stupidest comment ever! Ready built championship was handed to her? Seriously the Baby Vols where probably the worst example to teach underclassmen in Pat entire career! When they left, we had nothing, but a shot happy guard who never learned to play defense, shot, or control her emotions. I truly believe Pat would have been forced into retirement after 1 more season, because even at her best, she never would have done better than what Holly did, winning the SEC, and the nuts like you, out for blood would have made recruiting impossible. Winning that SEC championship was an amazing accomplishment, and with the injuries to starters that have plagued this team, 2 starters out last year, and final 8, Massengale out the year before, and having to play freshman at point, you would have burned Pat's house down for doing as well as Holly did.

Last edited:
I think we have the last of Pat's players in the program so we'll see. I would not say Holly sucks. She appears to be improving in my opinion. Would love to see her get a quality post this year.

no there all gone, Pat didn't coach one player on the roaster.

your joking right? Pat left with 5 seniors!, who started! the SEC and NCAA tournament. Of what Pat left player wise, Cierra, and maybe Kikmo is playing in the WNBA, that is hardly leaving a rich team! Possibly the stupidest comment ever! Ready built championship was handed to her? Seriously the Baby Vols where probably the worst example to teach underclassmen in Pat entire career! When they left, we had nothing, but a shot happy guard who never learned to play defense, shot, or control her emotions. I truly believe Pat would have been forced into retirement after 1 more season, because even at her best, she never would have done better than what Holly did, winning the SEC, and the nuts like you, out for blood would have made recruiting impossible. Winning that SEC championship was an amazing accomplishment, and with the injuries to starters that have plagued this team, 2 starters out last year, and final 8, Massengale out the year before, and having to play freshman at point, you would have burned Pat's house down for doing as well as Holly did.

Hoya is a troll don't worry too much! Great post btw

Reactions: 4 people

You acting like the cupboard was bare when Pat retired is hilarious, but you've always had a flare for the dramatic. While I agree that Holly did a fantastic job her first year, let's stop acting like she took a team made of s*** and turned it into sugar. Unlike you, I can acknowledge that Holly did a fantastic job that season while not acting like she was coaching a team full of complete scrubs. Two of those five seniors you're talking about were Briana Bass and Alicia Manning. Enough said. Losing Strick, Glory and Baugh were big, but let's not act like Bass and Manning were real starters, or big losses. We were left with "nothing" except for a "shot happy guard who didn't play defense and didn't control her emotions" (something I agree with ... to an extent ... but that player (your favorite) saved our rear ends multiple times over her career). You mean the same player who was SEC POY that year? The one who Pat adored? And Kamiko Williams (or "Kikmo" as you call her)? Taber Spani? Izzy Harrison? Massengale and Burdick, who were top 5 recruits? How about the incoming class of Carter, Jones and Graves, who was also a top-5 recruit, and was SEC FOY and 1st-Team All-SEC in her first year?

Yes ... we were obviously left with nothing.

Reactions: 1 person

First, I have huge respect for Summit--but she built UT into a powerhouse by getting an early start. We were the top dog at a time when the women's game was VERY young. Does anybody really think that if PS took over UT now, she'd had the same success? Not a chance. The game is far more sophisticated and far more competitive around the country than when she established this program. Teams are much better offensively--you can't just play defense and rebound and expect to win as PS did. PS was never a good offensive coach.

Second, for all her great success, PS did not leave Warlick a "ready-made dynasty." That's way off the mark. In fact, our program had fallen off quite noticeably during PS's last several years. UConn was the top dog when PS quit. Our recruiting had been weak for years, and the program Warlick inherited had been, by our standards, pretty average for years--no titles since Parker left, when, a decade ago?

Third, Warlick had done well in some ways. Our recruiting has improved--but is still not where it needs to be. We have more talent now than we've had for a long time. She is loyal and hard-working. She's won the SEC three times--and that's nothing to smirk at, but SEC titles are NOT the Vol standard. National titles are--and that is a tradition/standard we should never let go of. Do I think Warlick is a great coach or somebody who will make us a power again? Alas, I don't. She's essentially a career assistant who got the job because of her long association with PS. And that's ok. But Holly will prove a transitional coach, I think--unless she can really take a major step this year and get us to the Final Four and even win a national title. I think this team has the potential. This year will be the acid test for this coaching staff, in my view. If they can't turn the corner this year, they will never turn it. We don't have a lot of great players, but we've got a bunch of good players--more than just about any other program save two or three, if that. Time to make a move.

First, I have huge respect for Summit--but she built UT into a powerhouse by getting an early start. We were the top dog at a time when the women's game was VERY young. Does anybody really think that if PS took over UT now, she'd had the same success? Not a chance. The game is far more sophisticated and far more competitive around the country than when she established this program. Teams are much better offensively--you can't just play defense and rebound and expect to win as PS did. PS was never a good offensive coach.

Second, for all her great success, PS did not leave Warlick a "ready-made dynasty." That's way off the mark. In fact, our program had fallen off quite noticeably during PS's last several years. UConn was the top dog when PS quit. Our recruiting had been weak for years, and the program Warlick inherited had been, by our standards, pretty average for years--no titles since Parker left, when, a decade ago?

Third, Warlick had done well in some ways. Our recruiting has improved--but is still not where it needs to be. We have more talent now than we've had for a long time. She is loyal and hard-working. She's won the SEC three times--and that's nothing to smirk at, but SEC titles are NOT the Vol standard. National titles are--and that is a tradition/standard we should never let go of. Do I think Warlick is a great coach or somebody who will make us a power again? Alas, I don't. She's essentially a career assistant who got the job because of her long association with PS. And that's ok. But Holly will prove a transitional coach, I think--unless she can really take a major step this year and get us to the Final Four and even win a national title. I think this team has the potential. This year will be the acid test for this coaching staff, in my view. If they can't turn the corner this year, they will never turn it. We don't have a lot of great players, but we've got a bunch of good players--more than just about any other program save two or three, if that. Time to make a move.

I agree, but for God sakes people...her name is SUMMITT, not Summit, if you truly have respect, spell her name correctly!

You acting like the cupboard was bare when Pat retired is hilarious, but you've always had a flare for the dramatic. While I agree that Holly did a fantastic job her first year, let's stop acting like she took a team made of s*** and turned it into sugar. Unlike you, I can acknowledge that Holly did a fantastic job that season while not acting like she was coaching a team full of complete scrubs. Two of those five seniors you're talking about were Briana Bass and Alicia Manning. Enough said. Losing Strick, Glory and Baugh were big, but let's not act like Bass and Manning were real starters, or big losses. We were left with "nothing" except for a "shot happy guard who didn't play defense and didn't control her emotions" (something I agree with ... to an extent ... but that player (your favorite) saved our rear ends multiple times over her career). You mean the same player who was SEC POY that year? The one who Pat adored? And Kamiko Williams (or "Kikmo" as you call her)? Taber Spani? Izzy Harrison? Massengale and Burdick, who were top 5 recruits? How about the incoming class of Carter, Jones and Graves, who was also a top-5 recruit, and was SEC FOY and 1st-Team All-SEC in her first year?

Yes ... we were obviously left with nothing.

Harrison, Jones, Carter, and Spani were not close to top 5 recruits!
With the exception of Izzy, who didn't develop until after Pat, and Cierra, until her Senior year, none of those others has ever amounted to half their hype or potential. In fact, Izzy, and Cierra, and Graves (who never played for Pat but was recruited, along with the rest; Jones, and Carter) where much closer to being up to their potential, than any of the last group that were coached by Summitt. I am not knocking Summitt, I consider her the greatest coach of all time, but, the poster I was commenting to painted a version of Pat stepping aside handing Holly a dream situation, and a machine firing on all sparks, and that just wasn't the situation. We had no team leadership, which we still struggle for that coach on the floor. Massengale might of lived up to it, but the seniors her freshman year were not comfortable, or on the same page, she might of hit her potential but sadly injuries effected her when she was really starting to come into her own. There was no leader on the last 2 teams Pat coached, and nothing, or little of the Tennessee way was passed on to the following classes, in the way of good examples. And, why Manning, and Bass were not studs, or deserving to start, let's remember, this team was so up and down, so on different pages, that Pat allowed them to decide they would start all seniors, from the Senior game on. Now, say what you want on this decision, but it says more about the situation Holly was involved in as "head, ahh assistant" coach, and then inherited the next season. Hardly a rosy picture!

Last edited:
Holly's a good face for the program. Without Harrison and Jones for the Tourney, the squad did fine. I'm hoping this season we have more of an offensive game than in the past.

As pointed out by another poster, rebounds and defense don't get it anymore, but they are still the foundation to sound basketball. To truly succeed now, the foundation needs offensive cohesiveness to succeed.

In any event, looking forward to seeing this year's team.

Reactions: 3 people
Pat would have done just fine her final year and probably been in the FF if Vicki Baugh had not been lost to injury and if Tn had not had to face Baylor with Griner the fake female playing at his college best. :)

CHW is doing a very good job,taking her teams to very successful years,I would love for her to have had healthy teams when the tournament came around over her time as the Head Coach

she is still on a learning curve as a head coach too,let's not forget that and I think she has shown an improvement every year,with injury riddled teams

I'm hoping that there are no major injuries this year, wouldn't that be great ? for a change ? I would have liked to seen how well the Vols would have done under CHW with healthy players

and yes armchair, I think Coach Summitt would be kicking some ass as a new coach these days

I think the raise is well deserved. Holly can’t be considered the best coach in the game at this point, but she is definitely in the upper echelon. I would place her solidly in the upper top tier in the Division I game. There are a lot of Tennessee fans who like to complain and who like to coach-bash without even considering other factors that contribute heavily to game losses or the team’s failure to make the Final Four (injuries being the predominant factor, but also players having off-nights, not following the game plan, and a host of other issues fans have no idea about). While Holly and/or her staff can certainly be blamed for some things, not everything is Holly’s fault. What Holly has been able to accomplish with her injury-laden teams while operating under the long shadow of Pat Summitt and a bitter fan base has been nothing short of amazing.

Honestly, Holly is in a no-win situation with certain segments of the fan base, and those small but vocal segments are never going to appreciate her or support her regardless of what she accomplishes. The brutal truth is that a certain (lower) caliber of the fan base couches their disdain for her in a criticism of her coaching style when their real problem is with what they perceive to be (correctly or incorrectly, I don’t know and I don’t care (and neither should they)) her personal life. That is the absolute bottom line as plainly as it can be stated. She could have a perfect season and win a national title, and these idiot “fans” would still demand a new coach just because they’re morons and bigots. (And not that I think this needs to be a topic of discussion because the personal lives of coaches and players should be – should be – completely off limits as they are utterly irrelevant to a team’s success; I bring it up only to explain why some idiots will attack her or refuse to give her any credit regardless of her record.) Another segment is pining for the second coming of Pat Summitt and a return to 1998, which they aren’t going to get no matter which ends of the earth they search or how many hours they spend in their garages working on time machines. Holly likely has one of the toughest jobs in basketball (both men’s and women’s) right now, if not THE toughest job, and she is working with a fickle and perpetually dissatisfied fan base in a conservative Southern state wherein many will refuse to give her a break no matter how well she performs. Yet she has handled her job with grace, good humor, and an unrelenting and passionate dedication to the team and school that she has devoted the majority of her life to, and in far greater measure than most of the “fans” who look for perpetual fault with her. Lesser people would have thrown up their hands and quit; yet Holly has stuck with it and is now, barring injury, knocking on the door of what will likely be the most successful season since 2008. There have certainly been occasions over the past three years to throw criticism Holly’s way – I’m not saying she hasn’t made mistakes, because, like every coach, she has – but the personal attacks and over-the-top vitriol from some “fans” is beyond ridiculous.

Seriously, the whiners, complainers, and bashers need to shut up and give her a break. And if you can’t do that or admit how this raise and then some is monumentally deserved, pound sand and find another team to support (or s*** on . . . the two are, sadly, synonymous with some fans).

Reactions: 6 people
nobody other than you (and a couple Uconn trolls) has even mentioned anything about Holly's "personal" life. You need to stop getting your panties in a wad over made up issues. imvvho

nobody other than you (and a couple Uconn trolls) has even mentioned anything about Holly's "personal" life. You need to stop getting your panties in a wad over made up issues. imvvho

Then your reading comprehension skills are completely nonexistent.

your joking right? Pat left with 5 seniors!, who started! the SEC and NCAA tournament. Of what Pat left player wise, Cierra, and maybe Kikmo is playing in the WNBA, that is hardly leaving a rich team! Possibly the stupidest comment ever! Ready built championship was handed to her? Seriously the Baby Vols where probably the worst example to teach underclassmen in Pat entire career! .

Very very spot on but the Holly bashers don't respond to facts. Holly sucks is their dying mantra. Why I am not sure. Some of these posters are really just here to bash women's sports and Holly is their ruse for doing so. These folks seem to have not come to terms with the fact the LVs have been far, far more successful than the vol football program. Thus, denigrating the LVs seems to provide some kind of compensatory mechanism. I guess it is cheaper than buying a high horse power sports car....

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back