Practice starts next week and we have

Volfan2012

enough top players to play five on five in a very competitive game. So who would win if we played the following teams against each other?

PG-Cooper
WG-Carter
C-Moore
PF-Graves
WF-Nared
Sub Dunbar

versus

PG-Reynolds
SG-Jackson
C-Russell
PF-Jones
WF-Deshields
Sub Middleton

Team A would have a hard time scoring IMHO.

Russell & Diamond are a nice combo.

I'll take Team B

enough top players to play five on five in a very competitive game. So who would win if we played the following teams against each other?

PG-Cooper
WG-Carter
C-Moore
PF-Graves
WF-Nared
Sub Dunbar

versus

PG-Reynolds
SG-Jackson
C-Russell
PF-Jones
WF-Deshields
Sub Middleton

Racist IMO!

PG-Cooper
WG-Carter
C-Moore
PF-Graves
WF-Nared
Sub Dunbar

versus

PG-Reynolds
SG-Jackson
C-Russell
PF-Jones
WF-Deshields
Sub Middleton

I think your lineups might be a little off, I think it would be more like this;

PG-Reynolds
SG-Carter
C-Russell
PF-Graves
SF-DeShields
Sub-Dunbar (Allows Graves to play some 5, DeShields to play some 2, Carter to play some Point, and she can play some 3 also)

Verses

PG-Cooper
SG-Middleton
C-Moore
PF-Jones
SF-Nared
Sub-Jackson (Allows Nared to play some 4, Jones to play some 3 and 5, Middleton to play some 1, and she can play some 2 also)

The unknown for me is which players demonstrate a significant improvement since March. As we wait in anticipation the tendency is to identify the negatives and for those new to this board for the last two years October and early November have included more negative write ups on players than positive.

A question I posed last year after Shields arrived was would Jones who has similar athleticism to get into the paint learn from observing Shields' moves. We hear coach talk about getting Jones to take the shots she can make. Significant Upside IMO

Middleton has the shooters form and finds the angles to get off her shot even though she is not as athletic as others. Her development as a sophomore will be interesting to observe even within a team of numbers of guards

Narad, we heard is showing up as a leader. She appeared, not my word "appeared" at times to be an observer on offense at other times very assertive. Will she want the ball this year.

Carter and Reynolds - have they plateaued as good solid players or will one or both exhibit significant upside?

Graves has obviously been working on her game to be more versatile as a future pro so it would be expected she will exhibit more offensive range.

disclaimer: just a fan who is totally committed to all the players every year.

Reactions: 5 people
The unknown for me is which players demonstrate a significant improvement since March. As we wait in anticipation the tendency is to identify the negatives and for those new to this board for the last two years October and early November have included more negative write ups on players than positive.

A question I posed last year after Shields arrived was would Jones who has similar athleticism to get into the paint learn from observing Shields' moves. We hear coach talk about getting Jones to take the shots she can make. Significant Upside IMO

Middleton has the shooters form and finds the angles to get off her shot even though she is not as athletic as others. Her development as a sophomore will be interesting to observe even within a team of numbers of guards

Narad, we heard is showing up as a leader. She appeared, not my word "appeared" at times to be an observer on offense at other times very assertive. Will she want the ball this year.

Carter and Reynolds - have they plateaued as good solid players or will one or both exhibit significant upside?

Graves has obviously been working on her game to be more versatile as a future pro so it would be expected she will exhibit more offensive range.

Nared has a chance to become a good player--but must keep developing her overall game. She has the potential to score inside and outside, and that is always a major plus, and she can rebound.

Middleton will be interesting: She needs to become a reliable shooter, and that is really the case with all of our guards--they HAVE to make outside shots consistently. I hope Reynolds has worked on improving her dribbling; she needs to be better with her right hand--goes to the left too much. Good guards can handle the ball well with both hands. Carter is a good athlete who needs to play with a little more confidence offensively. She's not terribly big, which may be one reason why she isn't more assertive, but she's arguably got the best-looking jump shot on the team.

Graves needs to learn to play quicker offensively, especially when she has the ball. She has always been slow making decisions and slow with the ball. Crucially, she needs to become more of a scorer in the paint and in the area around the basket from about 12 feet in. She has the size for it, but not the instincts. This is why we've seen her so often grab an offensive rebound and then waste time bending over and pulling the ball down low before trying to go up again--by which time she has defenders around her. You have to be quick and decisive with the ball to be a good scorer close to the basket: You can't dither; you have to be explosive, make a fake, make move and shoot with confidence, know how to use your body for leverage sometimes. Graves is always holding the ball too long. You can't do that. She actually took and made a number of 15-footers last year--which was encouraging even if she would stand with the ball and think about whether to shoot or not for a couple of seconds before shooting.

RE Jones: She has no trouble shooting the ball. It's her decision-making that has been a pretty consistent problem. I wouldn't even begin to compare her to Deshields. Jones was a good athlete, with size, when she started at UT but understanding of the game seemed quite limited. That has been a slow build. IMO she'd help this team much more playing the 4 with Graves.

It will be interesting to see if Warlick and her staff can build a cohesive offensive or whether we will see offensive fixated on, first, getting Russell the ball in the paint, followed by getting the ball to Deshields who will then try to beat a defender and score. We need to be more multi-dimensional--good teams are.

The point of the post is to say were a good team 1 through 10 and should be able to really wear some teams down if the substitution pattern is right. From what I saw in Italy I think the two most improved players are Jones and Reynolds. Since Graves didn't play in Italy still to be determined if she is better this season. I like this team more than any in the Holly coached era. We'll see if she can take this talent to a final four.

good write up,thanks :hi:

Nared has a chance to become a good player--but must keep developing her overall game. She has the potential to score inside and outside, and that is always a major plus, and she can rebound.

It will be interesting to see if Warlick and her staff can build a cohesive offensive or whether we will see offensive fixated on, first, getting Russell the ball in the paint, followed by getting the ball to Deshields who will then try to beat a defender and score. We need to be more multi-dimensional--good teams are.

good write up armchair :hi:

I'm like you armchair,quit dribbling the ball in the post and get a shot off,while there arms are still high and what ever has happened to a fade away shot by players close to the basket ? it seems like it is a lost art anymore

Nope low BB IQ players or skilled players ruin most offenses, or a great defense. :)

VN Store

Back