softball roster updated

We got some key upperclassmen returning and some marvelous freshmen so this should be a very good team. I would think were in the top three in the SEC which would make us in the top five in the nation.

I hope you are right about that. I'm more cautious. I need to see the pitching first. But I can't wait.

Pitching is definitely the key and we do have everyone back plus two highly regarded additions. We'll need some freshmen to come through with excellent seasons both pitching and in the field.

So what's the lineup--positions and batting order--going to be?

I can pick a few of them: Overstreet-Catcher, McSwain-3rd base, Gregg-Shortstop, Geer-Second, Aucoin-First, Geathers-OF, Two freshmen in outfield, Gaffin-Pitcher, Gabriel-Pitcher, Moss-Pitcher, Bush-Pitcher. I can see probably 4 or 5 freshmen getting a lot of playing time though.

Vines and Leach are going to start in the outfield, I suspect--they were two of the best prospects in the nation. That would leave Gaffin and Geathers to battle for the third outfield spot--or maybe they will platoon. I think Vines is extremely speedy and will lead off. Leach will probably bat either 2nd or 5th, I'm guessing.

I can pick a few of them: Overstreet-Catcher, McSwain-3rd base, Gregg-Shortstop, Geer-Second, Aucoin-First, Geathers-OF, Two freshmen in outfield, Gaffin-Pitcher, Gabriel-Pitcher, Moss-Pitcher, Bush-Pitcher. I can see probably 4 or 5 freshmen getting a lot of playing time though.

Aucoin-First,isn't she a pitcher ?

Aucoin-First,isn't she a pitcher ?

Not unless she can find the strike zone and she couldn't last year.

I don't know how much Gaffin pitches this year either but I hope not much because I think that would mean the other pitchers aren't getting the job done.

Aucoin did pitch a few good innings and I thought that Gaffin did pretty well at times,she was impressive at times

Reactions: 1 person
Not unless she can find the strike zone and she couldn't last year.

I don't know how much Gaffin pitches this year either but I hope not much because I think that would mean the other pitchers aren't getting the job done.

Gaffin was a clutch pitcher down the stretch. Don't see her not pitching a lot. Probably improves. Also, hope Gabriel continues to improve.

Aucoin did pitch a few good innings and I thought that Gaffin did pretty well at times,she was impressive at times

I just don't see Aucoin pitching a lot. Maybe I'm wrong. See her playing first but rotating with a freshman. Maybe Logan Lilly plays some first.

Also, see Bria Bush and Abby Lockman getting a lot of playing time. Great freshman class-lots of depth.

I just don't see Aucoin pitching a lot. Maybe I'm wrong. See her playing first but rotating with a freshman. Maybe Logan Lilly plays some first.

wasn't Aucoin a first basemen coming out of high school too and swung a mean bat ?

Last edited:
Aucoin was a very good pitcher early last season till bad calls on the strike zone messed her up. imho

Gaffin was a clutch pitcher down the stretch. Don't see her not pitching a lot. Probably improves. Also, hope Gabriel continues to improve.

No doubt she was clutch I just don't think she's the number one pitcher, her pitch selection is limited in comparison to some of the other pitchers and she's not the workhorse that some of the other pitchers hopefully will be.

Last edited:
We have seven players on the roster that can pitch. That is the most I've ever seen on a roster. I suspect Moss will be a starter along with Gabriel and either Bush or Gaffin. I would like to see Gaffin get the closer job she is great for two or three innings.
A lot of options with this team defense should be better as McSwain, Geer, and Gregg all have more experience. I think two of the freshmen hit over .500 in high school. I am very optimistic about this team the added pitching is the main reason.

Reactions: 2 people
Gaffin can kick some butt as a closer and can do an occasional great job as a starter and hasn't it been said Volfan,that you can never have enough good pitching ? that might be in the majors though lol

I'm trying to remember,wasn't Aucion injured last Spring too ? I'm probably wrong on that

Gaffin can kick some butt as a closer and can do an occasional great job as a starter and hasn't it been said Volfan,that you can never have enough good pitching ? that might be in the majors though lol

I'm trying to remember,wasn't Aucion injured last Spring too ? I'm probably wrong on that

Aucoin was injured although I don't remember what her injury was.

We have seven players on the roster that can pitch. That is the most I've ever seen on a roster. I suspect Moss will be a starter along with Gabriel and either Bush or Gaffin. I would like to see Gaffin get the closer job she is great for two or three innings.
A lot of options with this team defense should be better as McSwain, Geer, and Gregg all have more experience. I think two of the freshmen hit over .500 in high school. I am very optimistic about this team the added pitching is the main reason.

Agree one hundred percent Gaffin is a closer and is dynamite for 2 to 3 innings once through the lineup and they can't hit her after that she becomes hittable.

This Lady Vol softball team is the best athletic program on campus now without a doubt and with Lady Vol basketball a close second. A shame but also much thanks to the Weeklys and to the girls who play for them.

VN Store

Back