Softball exhibition games Saturday

LVJeff

The softball team has their first exhibition games Saturday. If anyone attends I would appreciate a game report.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/tenn/sports/w-softbl/auto_pdf/2015-16/schedule/schedule.pdf

Also, the team is no longer listed as one of the participating teams in the Mary Nutter classic in California this coming February. Tennessee was listed as a participant as recently as a few weeks ago and now they aren't. I always try to attend this tournament. Does anyone know why Tennessee will not be participating this season?

https://marynutterclassic.wordpress.com/2016-participating-teams/

no idea on the Mary Nutter Classic Jeff,unless Bama Dave has decided it cost money ,since we all know how much he loves the Lady Vols :)

the cheap bastard :thud:

and will any of the exhibition games be broadcast on TV, Radio or streamed some where ? I assume that ESPN won't let them stream a game,but I'm not sure about that

"Tennessee will play eight fall exhibition games at Sherri Parker Lee Stadium from Sept. 26 to Oct. 17"

Softball Releases Fall Exhibition Schedule - University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site

no idea on the Mary Nutter Classic Jeff,unless Bama Dave has decided it cost money ,since we all know how much he loves the Lady Vols :)

the cheap bastard :thud:

and will any of the exhibition games be broadcast on TV, Radio or streamed some where ? I assume that ESPN won't let them stream a game,but I'm not sure about that

"Tennessee will play eight fall exhibition games at Sherri Parker Lee Stadium from Sept. 26 to Oct. 17"

Softball Releases Fall Exhibition Schedule - University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site

No broadcasts of off-season competitions. The people that work with spring sports like baseball and softball have other sports in the fall and give priority to sports currently in season.

Absolutely dominated the competition in exhibition games so far as expected.

It looks like the Weeklys will roll with Bria Bush, Matty Moss as starting pitchers along with Erin Gabriel with Rainey Gaffin taking on a more specialized role of a closer. That's pretty much what most fans envisioned our pitching staff would look like. No real surprise there.

If the season started today this would be our starting line up: Vines-LF, Leach-2B, Gregg-SS, Geer-CF, Geathers-RF, Overstreet-C, Gaffin-1B, Lilley/Aucoin-DP, McSwain/Lockman-3B, Moss/Bush/Gabriel-P

A current roster lists 22 eligible players but these 14 players will get the majority of playing time as it appears today.

Pitching is not the only position that have so much depth and competition but every single infield and outfield position is log-jammed with so much talent. I see a top 3 finish in ultra competitive SEC and another trip to WCWS for this team. Go Vols!

Reactions: 3 people
We defeated Tennessee State 13 to 0 and Shorter 19 to 0. We beat Chipola 8 to 0 and Lee 11 to 2. We defeated Tennessee Tech 10 to 2 and Alabama Huntsville 9 to 0.
The lineup has been mostly:

Vines leadoff playing LF
Geathers RF
Gregg SS
Geer CF
Gaffin 1B
Overstreet C
Lockman 3B
Aucoin DP
Leach 2B

Starting pitchers Moss, Bush, and Gabriel.

Gregg has been tearing the cover off the ball probably hitting over .500 against these weak teams.

Reactions: 1 person
We defeated Tennessee State 13 to 0 and Shorter 19 to 0. We beat Chipola 8 to 0 and Lee 11 to 2. We defeated Tennessee Tech 10 to 2 and Alabama Huntsville 9 to 0.
The lineup has been mostly:

Vines leadoff playing LF
Geathers RF
Gregg SS
Geer CF
Gaffin 1B
Overstreet C
Lockman 3B
Aucoin DP
Leach 2B

Starting pitchers Moss, Bush, and Gabriel.

Gregg has been tearing the cover off the ball probably hitting over .500 against these weak teams.

Gregg is a superstar in the making. If her fielding catches up to her hitting she could be one of the best ever.

As another poster stated - no real surprises in the lineups. The fall schedule allows the staff to look at the freshman and see what they can do.

I'm curious how much PT McClain and McSwain will get this season. McClain did fine in the outfield last season, her error in the SECT not-withstanding, but she had very few at-bats. McSwain showed herself to be a very capable hitter potentially, but her fielding at 3B needed much improvement. And Lilley with the fantastic hitting stats, I wonder how much PT she gets.

Gregg is a superstar in the making. If her fielding catches up to her hitting she could be one of the best ever.

As another poster stated - no real surprises in the lineups. The fall schedule allows the staff to look at the freshman and see what they can do.

I'm curious how much PT McClain and McSwain will get this season. McClain did fine in the outfield last season, her error in the SECT not-withstanding, but she had very few at-bats. McSwain showed herself to be a very capable hitter potentially, but her fielding at 3B needed much improvement. And Lilley with the fantastic hitting stats, I wonder how much PT she gets.[/

Lilley has been playing some and has hit the ball well. Most of these teams we've played are really weak still since we've crushed everyone looks to me like a very good team potentially.

Yea, I guess you can learn a little from watching freshman play against, ahem, Shorter and Chipola--which are apparently neighborhood housewife teams from the chattanooga area. Recall that last year Koenig tore it up early in the season during our non-conference schedule, carried the Vols, then when SEC play began stopped hitting, suffered a deep slump, and by end of year was being platooned. She wasn't a good average hitter and so I'm glad that we've got a lineup with potentially good hitters from top to bottom.

McSwain did hit the ball pretty well last year, and I think her 10 home runs were the second highest among our returning players (after Geer's 14) so it will be interesting to see how they handle her and Lockman, who is a very good prospect by all accounts.

I still want to see the pitching. The team must have a dominant pitching staff this season. At the end of last season Gaffin was exhausted in my opinion.

Assuming the pitching holds up where do you guys think this team will end up this season? The SEC will be even tougher than it was this past season. Florida may drop a little since they lost Heager but they won't drop far if at all. Nationally I guess it'll be the usual suspects, Michigan will be very tough.

Assuming the pitching holds up where do you guys think this team will end up this season? The SEC will be even tougher than it was this past season. Florida may drop a little since they lost Heager but they won't drop far if at all. Nationally I guess it'll be the usual suspects, Michigan will be very tough.

until we say how the freshman perform--pitchers and field players. We should have a better team than last year. Vines and Leach will be good players. We will need to have the hitters in the middle of the lineup Gregg, Geer, Gaffin and Overstreet, have good years--Gaffin and Overstreet in particular. They've always been solid but not exactly exceptional hitters. Last year, as shaky as our pitching was for most of the year, it was really our hitting that became a problem. Koenig and Annie (I'm quitting) Aldrete fell into deep slumps at the end of the season and into the playoffs that really hurt the offense; we were very lucky to squeak by FSU in the super-regional with our anemic hitting.

We'll have to get into the regular season to see how the freshmen can actually pitch. They look great against these teams we played against but I imagine almost anybody would be able to pitch a good game against Shorter. As a staff over this exhibition series were like 0.50 era as a team or even less.

No broadcasts of off-season competitions. The people that work with spring sports like baseball and softball have other sports in the fall and give priority to sports currently in season.

thanks for the info:hi:

they should give some students a shot at doing the off season games,I'm sure there are some that would be willing to give it a shot

Steve did a great job gule,since deerpark said he was on his own and having to do everything

Seriously, both the softball radio broadcasts and the soccer live blogs are terrible. I'm sure whoever is doing them has other jobs or duties or whatever, but if you can't do them even halfway well you shouldn't do them at all. Radio listeners and blog followers need information about the game--a /steady/ flow of information--not one sentence every five minutes (radio) or one one-sentence posts every 10 minutes (soccer blog). The first, and last time, I listened to a softball radio broadcast, it was this: "Geer hits a double." Five minutes of silence, then: "And Geer scores to make it three to nothing." Uh? Did somebody get a hit? How did she score? After the last soccer game against georgia started, 8-9 minutes of the game passed before the first post was made, and the info they do offer is so brief and basic that you get no sense of the game. I've had to go to other schools blogs/twitter to get more information.

Seriously, both the softball radio broadcasts and the soccer live blogs are terrible. I'm sure whoever is doing them has other jobs or duties or whatever, but if you can't do them even halfway well you shouldn't do them at all. Radio listeners and blog followers need information about the game--a /steady/ flow of information--not one sentence every five minutes (radio) or one one-sentence posts every 10 minutes (soccer blog). The first, and last time, I listened to a softball radio broadcast, it was this: "Geer hits a double." Five minutes of silence, then: "And Geer scores to make it three to nothing." Uh? Did somebody get a hit? How did she score? After the last soccer game against georgia started, 8-9 minutes of the game passed before the first post was made, and the info they do offer is so brief and basic that you get no sense of the game. I've had to go to other schools blogs/twitter to get more information.

Well, Stephen doesn't work with Tennessee softball anymore, so there will likely not be broadcasts at all anymore until the Vol Network with Brian Rice begins their radio coverage on AM 990 when SEC play begins.

Was Stephen bad? Sure. The broadcasts were not his primary job, which is why he only did them when radio couldn't be there. The good news is, you won't have anything to complain about anymore. You said last year that nothing would be better, so now you'll get to find out.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back