Soccer Vs. Arkansas: Observations!

armchair

The only good thing I can say about UT's performance against Arkansas is the best thing--that the Vols somehow managed to win it, despite playing pretty miserably. Actually, I can say three other good things--we were gutsy--played hard; the Vols keeper, Eckel, was again very strong; and Ariel Kupritz made the ONLY good offensive play we had all night--a great strike from distance for a goal that won the game 1-nil for UT. The goal was doubly impressive because Kuprtiz is a left-footed player who hit the shot--from some 25+ yards out--with her right foot, a screamer into the upper-right hand corner. Impressive.

Beyond that, UT spent most of the night playing defense. I think Arkansas will prove to be, at best, an average SEC team--but their midfield was better than our midfield (which was pretty close to terrible), and so they had the ball a lot. They'd send a ball into the box, we'd kick it away from our goal--but usually right back to Arkansas players, who would then float another ball into the box. That happened over and over again--about 50 times, seemingly (and probably close to it in actuality).Eckel made a couple of great saves. Imagine the Vol football team hanging onto a 1-point as the opponent drives deep into our territory and attempts a game-winning FG. That's basically what it was like to watch this game.
We could establish very little possession, were not very composed when we got the ball. We played a decent/solid last 20 minutes of the first half, during which Kupritz scored, but we had only 2 shots on goal all night. UT has three/four good athletes up front, and we are pretty solid in the back (though a couple of them were not good tonight)--but the midfield is a problem. Our midfielders are young, small and, in some cases, not fast. That's a bad combo--as we have some midfielders who sink back in defense too far, because they don't run well; others who get pushed around by bigger, faster opponents; and it's often hard for any of them them to win balls in the air because they are all short. What's more, the young player who looks--to me--to have the most potential of the group, Marcano, plays the least! We had a couple of midfielders who were absolutely AWOL in the first half--and only a touch better in the second. You can't be good when your midfield is being overrun and you are losing the territorial battle in crucial middle part of the pitch. It's tough when you lose your only experienced midfielder to injury, Christy, and no doubt the group will get better with experience. But I also think Pensky may need to rethink the personnel--who he is playing and for how long. He doesn't have many midfield options, but I think he's got some.

Credit to UT for playing tough on the road--it is always hard to win on the road. We've got a lot of young players who showed some grit. One would prefer better play to gritty poor play--but wins are wins, and we will get better.

Reactions: 2 people
The only good thing I can say about UT's performance against Arkansas is the best thing--that the Vols somehow managed to win it, despite playing pretty miserably. Actually, I can say three other good things--we were gutsy--played hard; the Vols keeper, Eckel, was again very strong; and Ariel Kupritz made the ONLY good offensive play we had all night--a great strike from distance for a goal that won the game 1-nil for UT. The goal was doubly impressive because Kuprtiz is a left-footed player who hit the shot--from some 25+ yards out--with her right foot, a screamer into the upper-right hand corner. Impressive.

Beyond that, UT spent most of the night playing defense. I think Arkansas will prove to be, at best, an average SEC team--but their midfield was better than our midfield (which was pretty close to terrible), and so they had the ball a lot. They'd send a ball into the box, we'd kick it away from our goal--but usually right back to Arkansas players, who would then float another ball into the box. That happened over and over again--about 50 times, seemingly (and probably close to it in actuality).Eckel made a couple of great saves. Imagine the Vol football team hanging onto a 1-point as the opponent drives deep into our territory and attempts a game-winning FG. That's basically what it was like to watch this game.
We could establish very little possession, were not very composed when we got the ball. We played a decent/solid last 20 minutes of the first half, during which Kupritz scored, but we had only 2 shots on goal all night. UT has three/four good athletes up front, and we are pretty solid in the back (though a couple of them were not good tonight)--but the midfield is a problem. Our midfielders are young, small and, in some cases, not fast. That's a bad combo--as we have some midfielders who sink back in defense too far, because they don't run well; others who get pushed around by bigger, faster opponents; and it's often hard for any of them them to win balls in the air because they are all short. What's more, the young player who looks--to me--to have the most potential of the group, Marcano, plays the least! We had a couple of midfielders who were absolutely AWOL in the first half--and only a touch better in the second. You can't be good when your midfield is being overrun and you are losing the territorial battle in crucial middle part of the pitch. It's tough when you lose your only experienced midfielder to injury, Christy, and no doubt the group will get better with experience. But I also think Pensky may need to rethink the personnel--who he is playing and for how long. He doesn't have many midfield options, but I think he's got some.

Credit to UT for playing tough on the road--it is always hard to win on the road. We've got a lot of young players who showed some grit. One would prefer better play to gritty poor play--but wins are wins, and we will get better.

Don't understand a damn thing you just wrote but how was the All World freshman?

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back