Krystaline McCune to West Virginia

VOL720

Per Bret McCormick. I guess the offer from Tennessee was pulled and she went ahead to verbal to a school that was still interested. Its still odd that the hometown school Louisville didn't recruit her and wasn't interested.

I guess the staff has put all their eggs in Tori McCoy's basket. If she is as good as advertised, I couldn't much blame them. I think both McCune and McCoy attended Tennessee's Lady Vol experience camp. I guess the staff got a real close look at both recruits. I am hoping we can land McCoy or we are in trouble.

Reactions: 1 person
I do hope that McCoy wants to be a Lady Vol,there must be a reason that CHW pulled the offer

I do hope that McCoy wants to be a Lady Vol,there must be a reason that CHW pulled the offer

Word is that McCoy likes Tennessee a lot, but with her waiting to April to sign makes me nervous. More than likely, Holmes will be a Texas Longhorn and Luaren Cox will join Notre Dame. With McCune off the list, McCoy is our only post prospect left. I think the staff may be looking at 6'2" PF Nadia Fingall, but I don't know the level of interest between Fingall and Tennessee or if she will take an official visit. If we could get through this 2016 class with two or three signees, I feel really confident about the 2017 and 2018 classes.

so the Lady Vols really need for McCoy to sign? I'm with you,the waiting till this April to sign makes me nervous too

We have a good chance to sign McCoy but she is far from a sure thing. We really need to find someone who wants to sign in November and Fingall would be player that could at least maintain what we have now. She is a lot like Graves and could move right in to her slot on the team. McCoy is a huge upgrade over Moore if we could get her in April. I think Holly and staff need a signee in November that can play in the post hopefully Fingall would sign early with us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xH9EGQT04U

Last edited:
Well, we are Tennessee so we recruit the best, but not signing a big or two this year is /not/ an option, I don't think. We only signed two last year--both guards; we need a good player or two with size--and my bet is that there are more than 3 good center/power forwards in the country. There are a lot of good players out there, or players with potential--we see a couple of good players on just about every team we play, and that's why talent evaluation is crucial.

To add if we pull an offer from a 6'4" player considering our situation then we must be onto someone for November to sign with us. I can't see any coach waiting until April waiting on one player that still has six teams as finalist as their only option.

To add if we pull an offer from a 6'4" player considering our situation then we must be onto someone for November to sign with us.

Does anyone have a link with a quote from Holly that the offer was in fact rescinded, or is this just a rumor going around? I haven't seen this in print anywhere yet.

Is McCune even ranked in the top 100 by ESPN? Is the team missing out on an elite player? I don't think she is even close to the level of talent as Cox, Holmes, or Boley. Has anyone seen her play in person?

Does anyone have a link with a quote from Holly that the offer was in fact rescinded, or is this just a rumor going around? I haven't seen this in print anywhere yet.

Is McCune even ranked in the top 100 by ESPN? Is the team missing out on an elite player? I don't think she is even close to the level of talent as Cox, Holmes, or Boley. Has anyone seen her play in person?

I don't think there is a quote from Holly or that you would ever get one on a player still in high school that we were or were not recruiting. I think most got the information from sources inside the program and think it was also relayed on the Summit that we had decided not to recruit her. She is ranked number 75 on Prospects nation not rated at all on Hoopgurlz. I think the fact that she could not draw a scholarship offer from hometown Louisville and also that she had a really bad summer of basketball scared a lot of people away from her.
Now however were in a situation where I think there is desperation mode to get at least one great post player in this class and really need two. The roster will be Russell and then Jones, Nared, Dunbar for post play if we fail to get a player.
I don't think going into April without a commit is a good thing especially when that player still has six favorites.

Has it been confirmed that they are recruiting Nadia Fingall?

Last edited:
Now however were in a situation where I think there is desperation mode to get at least one great post player in this class and really need two. The roster will be Russell and then Jones, Nared, Dunbar for post play if we fail to get a player.
I don't think going into April without a commit is a good thing especially when that player still has six favorites.

Yep, we don't have the luxury of signing a project. We need someone who can contribute right out of the gate. That is the position we have put ourselves in.

Good teams will just pound us in the low post if we don't get Mercedes some help.

Fingall is 6'2" and ranked 32nd. There is a post in Ga. who's ranked 25--and committed to Maryland (ugh). We probably should have tried to lock her up early if we had doubts about the big three. Or Fingall. Or SOMEBODY.

Most of these recruits are listed at different heights on different sites I've seen Fingall listed at 6'2, 6'3 and 6'4.

btw. although Staiti is in the 2016 class she committed to Maryland in 2013.

Last edited:
I will say that for the years I have been following Tennessee Lady Vol basketball I have never seen us have this kind of problem getting a post player especially when we seem to have so much playing time to offer in there in the coming seasons. Maybe the staff has a silent commit and just waiting to November to sign her. We have a good shot at getting McCoy but waiting to April if we don't get someone else is gonna be a long five months.

We are recruiting Jasmine Walker, a 6'3 post out of Alabama. How active and interest levels regarding her recruitment I'm not sure.

Kiara Lewis, a 5'8 guard out of Chicago and Tori McCoy are probably our two most likely to sign players. Lady Vols have strong ties to Illinois players with Jolette Law's connections and our recruiting history (Parker, Massengale).

Leanna Odom a 6'1 wing is definitely a high interest on both sides recruit and some people who claim to have insider access definitely think we have as good a shot as any with her. She gave Katie Lou a ton of problems this past year on the high school level, with Odom's Chaminade team winning two of their three match ups. She is possibly a more polished Jasmine Jones... athletically very similar for sure.

Jensen Caretti is a brand new name in the mix because she had little to no exposure on the AAU circuit until her final high school summer this year. She has blasted onto the scene with most major programs courting her now. Tennessee has a home visit coming up with her now. She is also a 6'1 wing and has been compared to Deanna Nolan.

I think you arè a little confused. Higgins was the better player on Chaminade, she played for Calstars this summer. Odom has been on 3 high schools in 3 years. She is also looking at another for her senior year as there was also discontent at Chaminade but no school is interested in taking her according to everyone ofthe club crew I talk to.

McCoy or Fingall makes everything right with the team for 2016. I am not really interested who we are recruiting for perimeter positions because we seem to be loaded there until at least 2017 season is over. Two graduating seniors in the post make it imperative we get at least one top player. I hope we see a signee in November and then it makes the waiting until April for McCoy more bearable for us fans.

Reactions: 2 people
If we strike out on those posts, perhaps a JC post will emerge similar to Akhator. Signing a JC post would have minimal impact on the 2017 signing class and none on the 2018 class. Of course, it would have to be a productive contributor immediately--not a risk or project.

We are recruiting Jasmine Walker, a 6'3 post out of Alabama. How active and interest levels regarding her recruitment I'm not sure.

Kiara Lewis, a 5'8 guard out of Chicago and Tori McCoy are probably our two most likely to sign players. Lady Vols have strong ties to Illinois players with Jolette Law's connections and our recruiting history (Parker, Massengale).

Leanna Odom a 6'1 wing is definitely a high interest on both sides recruit and some people who claim to have insider access definitely think we have as good a shot as any with her. She gave Katie Lou a ton of problems this past year on the high school level, with Odom's Chaminade team winning two of their three match ups. She is possibly a more polished Jasmine Jones... athletically very similar for sure.

Jensen Caretti is a brand new name in the mix because she had little to no exposure on the AAU circuit until her final high school summer this year. She has blasted onto the scene with most major programs courting her now. Tennessee has a home visit coming up with her now. She is also a 6'1 wing and has been compared to Deanna Nolan.

I think Jasmine Walker has narrowed her list and Tennessee was not on it. I don't know how hard Tennessee pursued Walker. I don't think we will get one of her official visits either. Last interview I saw of Walker she said Georgia and Rutgers were recruiting her the hardest.

I think you arè a little confused. Higgins was the better player on Chaminade, she played for Calstars this summer. Odom has been on 3 high schools in 3 years. She is also looking at another for her senior year as there was also discontent at Chaminade but no school is interested in taking her according to everyone ofthe club crew I talk to.

Higgins was awesome for Chaminade this year but so was Odom. Higgins averaged 14ppg and almost 10rpg and Odom averaged 17ppg and 6rpg. Odom switched schools after her freshman year because Mater Dei was her dream school and was close enough to Los Alamitos. Unfortunately there were issues with safety in the area they lived and the family decided to move. An article quoted her dad as saying she was very sad to leave and from people I know that are around the Mater Dei program echoed the same thing. I haven't heard of her switching schools this year but she is definitely worth recruiting.

Per Bret McCormick. I guess the offer from Tennessee was pulled and she went ahead to verbal to a school that was still interested. Its still odd that the hometown school Louisville didn't recruit her and wasn't interested.

I guess the staff has put all their eggs in Tori McCoy's basket. If she is as good as advertised, I couldn't much blame them. I think both McCune and McCoy attended Tennessee's Lady Vol experience camp. I guess the staff got a real close look at both recruits. I am hoping we can land McCoy or we are in trouble.

Why did we pI'll our offer to McCune. We can't afford not to recruit a big. I just hope we are so locked up on one big that we end up with no big.

To add if we pull an offer from a 6'4" player considering our situation then we must be onto someone for November to sign with us. I can't see any coach waiting until April waiting on one player that still has six teams as finalist as their only option.

I am with you Volfan, last year I thought we had a shot at one of the two bigs that went to Baylor. We cannot afford to be so picky that we end up with nothing. Do we have any possibility of signing anyone in November? I haven't looked lately but we were the only top 5 team without a verbal. I am a little concerned for my Lady Vols.

Her offer was pulled because she regressed.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back