Soccer vs. Va. Tech--Observations!

armchair

It was a nice effort by UT today against a pretty good, physical Va. Tech team that was ranked #7 in the nation. I don't know that Va. Tech is quite that good, but they had beaten a couple of quality teams (Indiana, W. Va) and are certainly quality themselves--the best team we've played this year.

And, here's the thing: We probably should have won the game. Had a 1-0 lead but went into a defensive shell late, really stopped playing and started standing around, and Va. Tech scored on a blast from outside the box with 4 minutes left to tie. I thought we were going to lose the match after that, frankly, but we regrouped and Amy Neal had a golden chance to win it in OT--but her header hit the crossbar--which seems a sad UT motif--and the matched ended in a 1-1 tie.

This is a team with major upside, that's the good news--but we squander too many scoring chances. You have to "take your chances" in football, because you don't get a lot of them--and we had some really good chances today that we could not convert. Va. Tech. had some as well--Eckel made one magnificent save--but mostly the Hokies were shooting from out in front of the box, while we had chances right in front of goal and couldn't score.

We had two beautiful chances to take a 2-0 and secure the win-- but muffed two passes that probably would have led to goals. First, A. Kupritz made a nice run on the Va. Tech goal, got deep, seemed to see a Vol running open at net in the middle--but futzed the pass and the late chance was lost. Minutes later, we have a 2 on 1, McClung has the ball on the right side with Bialczak streaking down the field; if McClung gets her the ball, Bialczak is on goal with only the keeper to beat. But McClung kicks it behind Bialczak and that chance goes begging, too. Oh, my! McClung did create our goal with a beautiful run and cross--which the talented M. Gouner knocked in the net--but we need to make better passes. You can't muff chances like that--it is why we are struggling to score.

---Defense was very solid. Back four played a strong game until last 10 minutes of regulation when they and every other Vol player seemed to stop moving. Gave up too much room consistently to the Va. Tech midfielders at top of box, who had a lot of pretty good looks/shots--this has been a problem.

--Still not getting anything in attack from the midfield. Baldwin was doggedly competitive as usual--what spirit she has-and Cousins was a little better today and did have one shot in the first half, but neither of them can get forward effectively. Vols badly need an athletic midfielder with pace and ball skills who can provide some menace in the attacking third. It's a noticeable hole in this team, which otherwise has some athletes who can pressure the opposing defenders with runs.

--I was surprised to see in the box score that Kupritz only played 18 minutes today--because she played well and created three GOOD scoring chances by cutting back inside from her right wing position--much like the great Dutch winger Arjen Robben, a left-footed player who is always curling back inside from the right side. Unfortunately, Kupritz twice missed opportunities to pass to wide open players. She's got to see the field better. On the first, she cut inside and gog off a decent shot that the Va. Tech goalie stopped--but we had TWO players wide open in front of goal--McClung being one. If Kupritz slots it to McClung, the keeper is out of position and she has an open net. You have to see that. She missed a similar opportunity a bit later--already talked about. But Kupritz played hard and played well in limited minutes. Also surprised, again, that Marcano played so little, especially after her excellent display against Liberty. (Can she not play midfield?) Pensky shortened the bench today.

--Eckel is a very good keeper--but her short goal kicks are a problem. She cannot get the ball out very far, and about six times today, especially in the second half and late when we were hanging on, her kick came down to a Va. Tech player on our side of the field--and immediately the hokies are in our attacking third and our defense is under pressure again. This...is...not...good. She at times seems to kick the ball near the sideline, which is wise, but pretty much the same thing happens. Maybe we need to position a couple of players so that when the ball is headed back toward our goal, we can gain possession rather than the opponent. Not sure, but the short kicks are creating problems.

Continue to be impressed by Bialczak, Gouner, Flynn and really most of the freshman. Bialczak will score some goals this year. Made a lovely run and cross in the second half that Neal got a foot on but could not do enough with. Gouner runs /extremely well/ and is confident with the ball. All in all, an encouraging performance. Take your chances, Vols, and yes, I like football.

Reactions: 4 people
I watched for the first time today. Decent speed. A few missed opportunities but I think experience will solve that.

Love your insight armchair! You're commenting on what you see in a fair way! What I got from the game yesterday is that this team is getting better and more comfortable with every game they play together. There were some really great build ups against a very good Virginia Tech team (Anna McClung's run and Gouner's finish was picture perfect!)

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back