Raise and 1 year extension

Last edited:
CHW has to be thinking she's on a short leash, wining some big OOC games will help keep her job.

Last edited:
Which is basically saying "we think you're doing OK but we're not fully committed to you." I think that puts her at about $650,000 which I think is still below best coaches in SEC.

Warlick's raise puts her at about 6th place in the SEC.

The new Auburn coach makes more than Holly, which surprises me.

Also, Caldwell makes more than Warlick, yet she has done nothing of any significance.

Reactions: 2 people
Warlick's raise puts her at about 6th place in the SEC.

The new Auburn coach makes more than Holly, which surprises me.

Also, Caldwell makes more than Warlick, yet she has done nothing of any significance.

and Holly, well, she is a nice person.

she has done B grade level coaching overall, and I give her an A for last season. Injuries destroyed last year, and we were a final four team, elite 8 was an over reach after losing two starters.

Reactions: 8 people
Keep in mind that we don't have the money to throw around we once did. Yes, the SEC network and TV deals are booming but were trying to (1) upgrade facilities for multiple sports, (2) pay off our massive debt, (3) build our reserve back, and (4) implement the new athlete stipends.

On the contrary to Holly being on a short leash, I would say from Dave Hart's position shes doing just fine. At this point in time he probably isn't interested in paying Dawn Staley type of money for a womens basketball coach which is what a Final Four or National Championship would require.

Keep in mind that we don't have the money to throw around we once did. Yes, the SEC network and TV deals are booming but were trying to (1) upgrade facilities for multiple sports, (2) pay off our massive debt, (3) build our reserve back, and (4) implement the new athlete stipends.

On the contrary to Holly being on a short leash, I would say from Dave Hart's position shes doing just fine. At this point in time he probably isn't interested in paying Dawn Staley type of money for a womens basketball coach which is what a Final Four or National Championship would require.

The money sure seemed to flow into Rick Barnes' pockets. Also, Dawn has only made one Final Four. And, I think you have 5 SEC coaches who make more than Holly. I think the problem is that Tennessee has been there and decided it isn't worth it. Even with Pat winning all those championships the women's program ran in the red or maybe break even some years at best. I think they would prefer for Holly to make Sweet 16's and an occasional Elite Eight or Final Four but would rather her not win championships so they don't have to go there with the money. Basically what I'm saying is don't win too much but don't lose too much either. We're happy right where you are. No pressure.

Reactions: 6 people
The money sure seemed to flow into Rick Barnes' pockets. Also, Dawn has only made one Final Four. And, I think you have 5 SEC coaches who make more than Holly. I think the problem is that Tennessee has been there and decided it isn't worth it. Even with Pat winning all those championships the women's program ran in the red or maybe break even some years at best. I think they would prefer for Holly to make Sweet 16's and an occasional Elite Eight or Final Four but would rather her not win championships so they don't have to go there with the money. Basically what I'm saying is don't win too much but don't lose too much either. We're happy right where you are. No pressure.

Agree completely.

Reactions: 1 person
you guys r nuts.

I'd dock her pay just for approving those Godawful new unis, lol

She makes plenty enuff money. If she wants more, they're hiring at Walmart.

Reactions: 2 people
Which is basically saying "we think you're doing OK but we're not fully committed to you." I think that puts her at about $650,000 which I think is still below best coaches in SEC.

The one year is on the back end, so her contract is now 4 years again.

Her contract was set to roll over automatically to get that extra year, so I think adding a 20% raise to it shows a pretty solid level of commitment.

Reactions: 4 people
Holly is a good person, not a very good coach IMO. I think she is making what she deserves. Time will tell if she needs an increase in salary.

So what exactly makes Holly a bad coach?? I believe if she had not had injuries to key players...we would have been to a FF, especially in the last three years. If those injuries had not happened, Id bet people would be singing a whole different tune.

So what exactly makes Holly a bad coach?? I believe if she had not had injuries to key players...we would have been to a FF, especially in the last three years. If those injuries had not happened, Id bet people would be singing a whole different tune.

Especially last year when Izzy got hurt. They went farther than they should have without her.

She isn't a bad basketball coach. And she is getting better in my opinion. The problem is she inherited the top women's program in the country without having to earn it. Sure she served her time here but should that have gotten her the head coaching job? If the administration really wanted to keep the program at the top level they would have gone out and hired the best coach they could have at close to Pat's level of salary. There were several who they probably could have gotten-at least should have made a try for. But, that's not what they really wanted. They wanted to cut the women's program costs but still maintain some semblance of competence. That's what they did. I hope she forces them into a dilemma by winning an NC either this year or next. If she does she deserves to be paid on Staley's level.

She isn't a bad basketball coach. And she is getting better in my opinion. The problem is she inherited the top women's program in the country without having to earn it. Sure she served her time here but should that have gotten her the head coaching job? If the administration really wanted to keep the program at the top level they would have gone out and hired the best coach they could have at close to Pat's level of salary. There were several who they probably could have gotten-at least should have made a try for. But, that's not what they really wanted. They wanted to cut the women's program costs but still maintain some semblance of competence. That's what they did. I hope she forces them into a dilemma by winning an NC either this year or next. If she does she deserves to be paid on Staley's level.
who's better, what other options did Tenn have?

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks Sandvol for attempting to explain...Big shoes to fill, don't think she is the right person to do this. DaddyChoc...many choices were ready and willing...I think the easy way out was the one accepted.

they would have gone out and hired the best coach they could have at close to Pat's level of salary..... And who would that be??????

the more I think about this the more I think it was a bad idea to give her more time & money.

Hey, 3 "more's" in 1 sentence must be a record? lol

who's better, what other options did Tenn have?

If you looked around the country at the time most of the good women's coaches made less than a million. Most still do today. Pat was making about $1.4 million. Go down the list of the top 10 coaches and offer them a million dollars. I suspect there would have been several who would have jumped. And, most schools wouldn't have matched. Not for women's basketball.

There are also several up and comers who are not top 10 yet but would have probably been a better hire than Holly because they had head coaching experience and were really bringing their programs up. For instance the Cal coach, or the Gonzaga Coach, Melanie Balcomb, Muffet McGraw, Jeff Wahl, Dawn Staley and several more. All have more experience and were more proven winners than Holly.

Heck I would have probably gone after Brenda Frese even though she is paid pretty well. Offer her $1.4 million at the time, same as Pat, to keep the program at the top.

Anyway, now that we have Holly, again, I do think she is getting better. And, I hope she gets good enough to cause a dilemma.

VN Store

Back