Leaving Early for The WNBA

mlindsay

I know it is early to be thinking about this but I am wondering if the staff are preparing themselves in case we lose players early to the WNBA. I know the Minnesota and Notre Dame was blindsided when Amanda Zahui B and Jewell Loyd decided to leave early for the WNBA. Let's just say for the sake of this thread that we lose Andraya Carter and Jasmine Jones (although they are Reshirt Juniors they can leave early because they will both meet the age requirements to enter the draft) to go along with Bashaara Graves and Nia Moore this year (They are both Seniors) after winning the Title this year (I may be a homer but I like our chances). Followed by Mercedes Russell, Diamond DeShields (both will meet the age requirements and Mercedes at 6'6" could be a lock as the top pick if she performs like she did in the World Games) to go along with Jordan Reynolds who will be a senior next season. Do you think that is a tactic our coaches are using for recruits who may be on the fence on whether to come here or not. What are your thoughts if we lose those key pieces early. (I doubt if we will but you can never be sure)

Reactions: 2 people
Are you serious right now? Lol

Losing Andraya Carter and Jasmine Jones to the WNBA draft? Do you think every Lady Vol is a top 5 pick too? Lol... So everyone on our team who is a Junior or RS Sophomore is leaving early for the WNBA draft now, which has only happened maybe 6 times ever? And Mercedes Russell as a lock for the top pick???? Seriously???

1) You think we have way better players than we actually do.
2) You have too much time on your hands.
3) If you're a 12 year old girl, I apologize.

Last edited:
DeShields will be gone after two years, guaranteed. No one else will leave early for the draft.

Reactions: 1 person
Are you serious right now? Lol

Losing Andraya Carter and Jasmine Jones to the WNBA draft? Do you think every Lady Vol is a top 5 pick too? Lol... So everyone on our team who is a Junior or RS Sophomore is leaving early for the WNBA draft now, which has only happened maybe 6 times ever? And Mercedes Russell as a lock for the top pick???? Seriously???

1) You think we have way better players than we actually do.
2) You have too much time on your hands.
3) If you're a 12 year old girl, I apologize.

Obviously you have never observe the women's game outside of the collegiate level. A player leaving early is not just about leaving for the WNBA draft (I probably should have said overseas also) but other factors. We never know financially what these young women may be faced with and we also know all it takes is a hot streak in the tournament or a few dominant performances during the season (Amanda Zahui B has two 20point 20rebound games at Minnesota which put her high on the draft board in a weak draft class) to lead you to a high draft pick. Also the lady vols (outside of UNC, UConn, and Stanford) has the most players who have been drafted or currently plays on WNBA rosters. About 5 seasons ago a young lady by the name of Epiphany Prince (You probably haven't watched the women's game long enough) left Rutgers early to play overseas because her family needed her financially. Amanda Zahui B left early this year for a chance to possibly be the top pick in the draft (which everyone thought it would be Keleena Mosequda Lewis of UConn) in the weak class but when Jewell Loyd (who left early to be the Top Pick instead of possibly going 3rd in the year Brianna Stewart and Moriah Jefferson comes out)

No I do not think every Lady Vol is a top pick but I could also see a player like Diamond only playing two years with us (Remember Candace Parker who had a year of eligibility left but decided to leave early to be the top pick of the LA Sparks).

The age for entry in the draft is 22 and both Carter and Jones will be 22 (if not 23) this upcoming draft and who knows Holly may push/suggest a player should leave early to open a spot for a top 5 recruit (not saying she will but it has been done before)

Also about Russell she is 6'6" (you can not coach size) and out of the 20th (are you aware there have been 20 WNBA drafts) players drafted first overall in the WNBA 12 have played the 4/5 and 2 of which have come from Tennessee (Holdsclaw and Parker) and both we're the top recruit of their recruiting class (have you forgot that Russell was the #1 recruit in her recruiting class?) also of the 12 (7 have been 6'4 or taller) I wont even get into the players who go second overall that are also Post Players (which means she would be a top 3 pick if she comes out a year early if she plays at the level she did during the world games)

Since 2010 the top pick of the draft has been a top 10 recruit so the odds of Russell not being a top 3 draft pick is very slim!

Reactions: 3 people
On the list of things we need to worry about Jones or Carter going pro early has to be at the very bottom. So no, no one is worried about this and the coaches are not planning around it... for obvious reasons.

What they will do is try to establish depth at every position just like always so that if there is a career ending injury --- a FAR more likely possibility --- then they will be covered. That has the added effect of covering us in the exceedingly unlikely event one of those you mentioned goes pro early, or sprouts wings etc...

So you can now sleep soundly knowing that a process is in place to alleviate your concerns.

If you need something to worry about then just look at our low post and tell me who is going to play there next year.

Why leave early for the WNBA where top salaries are barely $100k? Staying in school makes more sense, or going overseas where people pay to see pro women's basketball

On the list of things we need to worry about Jones or Carter going pro early has to be at the very bottom. So no, no one is worried about this and the coaches are not planning around it... for obvious reasons.

What they will do is try to establish depth at every position just like always so that if there is a career ending injury --- a FAR more likely possibility --- then they will be covered. That has the added effect of covering us in the exceedingly unlikely event one of those you mentioned goes pro early, or sprouts wings etc...

So you can now sleep soundly knowing that a process is in place to alleviate your concerns.

If you need something to worry about then just look at our low post and tell me who is going to play there next year.

That is exactly my point! You're already losing Graves and Moore, and what if Jasmine Jones has a breakout year and decides to try her hand in the WNBA or Overseas and then enter the draft next year and Holly doesn't get a top Post Prospect then what? All you have is Mercedes and some 3's who can play the 4 in a pinch (Dunbar and Nared) That's all I am asking.

This is seriously one of the most pointless, ridiculous, completely improbable threads I've ever seen started.

OP is addicted to women's basketball and finds that it is WAY more relevant than it actually is. UCONN is the only relevant thing about women's basketball. Notre Dame somewhat. The WNBA is a complete joke, which is why their uniforms look like a NASCAR. Lady Vol basketball has drifted into the ho-hum level of the sports world. Pat Summit was awesome. But that's over now. Get over it and find a new hobby.

Deshields is the only potential top pick on the team. Russell is highly unlikely but will get drafted in the top 5 AFTER her Senior year. But again, to my points above, who really cares??? Lol

It's football time. Something that actually matters.

FYI for the thread starter....

Only 3 players have ever left early for the WNBA draft. Parker, Zahui B, and Lloyd.

All those factors you mentioned are not new factors. Finances, etc have always been factors. Women just don't leave early because there aren't $40 million contracts waiting on them. Why not?? Because no one. cares. about. the. WNBA.

Their education becomes more important than making a quick 60-80k per year playing basketball and being away from their families.

Trust me, I understand all of this far more than you do. You've proven that.

Last edited:
That is exactly my point! You're already losing Graves and Moore, and what if Jasmine Jones has a breakout year and decides to try her hand in the WNBA or Overseas and then enter the draft next year and Holly doesn't get a top Post Prospect then what? All you have is Mercedes and some 3's who can play the 4 in a pinch (Dunbar and Nared) That's all I am asking.

Jasmine Jones will not have a breakout year. Does that answer your question?

Andraya Carter also will not have a breakout year.

No one is leaving unless they transfer to another school or graduate.

FYI for the thread starter....

Only 3 players have ever left early for the WNBA draft. Parker, Zahui B, and Lloyd.

All those factors you mentioned are not new factors. Finances, etc have always been factors. Women just don't leave early because there aren't $40 million contracts waiting on them. Why not?? Because no one. cares. about. the. WNBA.

Their education becomes more important than making a quick 60-80k per year playing basketball and being away from their families.

Trust me, I understand all of this far more than you do. You've proven that.

For understanding it so well, you should know that Parker didn't leave early. She had a year of eligibility left, but had already graduated. She left with her class. That's not leaving early.

Epiphanny Prince left Rutgers early to go overseas until she could enter the draft.

Schyue Larue left Virginia early to go overseas.

Reactions: 3 people
This is seriously one of the most pointless, ridiculous, completely improbable threads I've ever seen started.

OP is addicted to women's basketball and finds that it is WAY more relevant than it actually is. UCONN is the only relevant thing about women's basketball. Notre Dame somewhat. The WNBA is a complete joke, which is why their uniforms look like a NASCAR. Lady Vol basketball has drifted into the ho-hum level of the sports world. Pat Summit was awesome. But that's over now. Get over it and find a new hobby.

Deshields is the only potential top pick on the team. Russell is highly unlikely but will get drafted in the top 5 AFTER her Senior year. But again, to my points above, who really cares??? Lol

Then why are you here commenting on it. If it doesn't matter to you, why are you taking time out of your obviously precious day to grace us with your all knowing words? If football is all that matter, go talk about it somewhere else. Trust me, no one will be sad to see you go.

Reactions: 7 people

oh hell no Voluble2,you didn't go there did you ? you said a very nasty thing

"career ending injury"

shame on you:unsure:

actually you should move on and quit bothering us fans of the Lady Vols,if you don't like the thread or the Lady Vols,that is fine,make a point and leave,instead of bashing everybody that likes the Lady Vols

mlindsay isn't the only one addicted to Womens Basketball,there are quite a few of us and you should show some respect to us fellow Vol fans no matter what the sport is or what you think about it

grow up and if you are a grown up,you should apologize for a pointless attack on a member of this board,we are all Vol Fans on here and you should be aware of that fact

Reactions: 7 people
For understanding it so well, you should know that Parker didn't leave early. She had a year of eligibility left, but had already graduated. She left with her class. That's not leaving early.

Epiphanny Prince left Rutgers early to go overseas until she could enter the draft.

Schyue Larue left Virginia early to go overseas.

Thank you for clearing this up! I understand few players leave early based on the lack of money that is involved in the US (playing in the WNBA) as related to playing overseas and that was my only argument. Certain players (Epiphany Prince) realizes that the have reach their peak and college is no longer the answer and also have to take care of family who may be struggling. Overseas a player can earn almost 3 times what they make in the US so if you are like Parker (or Andraya Carter and Jasmine Jones) who are fortunate to graduate early with a year of eligibility left but the only thing you feel you haven't done in college is win a title (and you happen to do that) Do you return for another year or do you go into the WNBA (make $50K that summer) and then head overseas and make Hundred's of thousand's? (Brittany Griner received over 600K for playing 3 months in China). I know its not normal for Women to leave early but it was also rare that Women transferred from one major program to the next. (it was mostly men) now you see women bouncing from one school to another and you see a player like Jewel Loyd or Amanda Zahui B realizing that they need to capitalize while they can instead of waiting to see. In Loyd case you have went to the Finals game 2 of your 3 seasons at Notre Dame (and the final 4 all 3 seasons) Do you return for your Senior Season knowing Tennessee, SC, and UConn will be loaded and you could quite well not be a top 3 pick in the draft (Brianna Stewart, Moriah Jeffereson, and Tiffany Mitchell will probably be top 3) and your chances of winning a title is slimmer than the year before? Or do you leave early and make the money having already been to the final game and your draft stock might slip. That is a question more players will probably look at moving forward.

Candace made it clear from very early on that she would be leaving in 2008 with her class. She was guaranteed of being the #1 pick in the draft to a media hotspot in LA, and with it being an Olympic year, she didn't need to stay.

JJ & Draya are completely different stories because neither are, or will ever be, on the level of a Candace/Diana/Stewart/Griner. Neither would be guaranteed a roster spot in the league, and honestly, maybe not overseas either.

Diamond has the chance to be on the level of that group, but she needs time.

Candace made it clear from very early on that she would be leaving in 2008 with her class. She was guaranteed of being the #1 pick in the draft to a media hotspot in LA, and with it being an Olympic year, she didn't need to stay.

JJ & Draya are completely different stories because neither are, or will ever be, on the level of a Candace/Diana/Stewart/Griner. Neither would be guaranteed a roster spot in the league, and honestly, maybe not overseas either.

Diamond has the chance to be on the level of that group, but she needs time.

I agree with you but could we see them pull an Epiphany Prince and feel like there is nothing left to prove at Tennessee (not saying they will, just asking) also Do you think Mercedes could be in that category of Candace, Dianna, Stewart, Griner (Don't forget Maya Moore, and Tina Charles who could have both probably succeeded leaving UConn early) I'm just asking for the sake of arguing lets say in a couple years the Storm has the first overall pick and Bird is on her way out (and you have a chance at Russell who is not too far from Seattle having being raised in Oregon) kind of like Lisa Leslie was on her way out when Parker was drafted! I was worried about JJ or Draya but I could see a person like Diamond (who will have the buzz behind her and Mercedes who will also have a lot of buzz) having to make a decision on whether to stay or go especially if we are fortunate (which would be great to win titles each of the next 2 seasons) You figure Stewart goes 1st this year and then in 2017 realistically you would have Diamond, Russell, and Probably Alana Coates fighting for the top pick based on how well they perform. That's why I asked because if they do leave that would be a huge void for us (Especially at the 5 spot as it seem as though the Post we are looking at in 2016 and 2017 are more so natural 4's than 5's (or is it just me)

Prince left for only two reasons. With reason #1 being 75% of it.
#1 - Money/family issues
#2 - She was over school. She just wants to play basketball and be done with school.

None of those reasons apply to our ladies

actually you should move on and quit bothering us fans of the Lady Vols,if you don't like the thread or the Lady Vols,that is fine,make a point and leave,instead of bashing everybody that likes the Lady Vols

mlindsay isn't the only one addicted to Womens Basketball,there are quite a few of us and you should show some respect to us fellow Vol fans no matter what the sport is or what you think about it

grow up and if you are a grown up,you should apologize for a pointless attack on a member of this board,we are all Vol Fans on here and you should be aware of that fact

Hey I'm a fan of butch! Just not the same butch you lady vol fans enjoy lol. Butch Jones!

Just accept that LV basketball isn't what it used to be and probably will never be. UCONN is on cruise control for another 5-6 national championships before Geno retires. Deny that if you want, but it'll happen. Holly can't even get us to sniff a final 4.

Hey I'm a fan of butch! Just not the same butch you lady vol fans enjoy lol. Butch Jones!

Just accept that LV basketball isn't what it used to be and probably will never be. UCONN is on cruise control for another 5-6 national championships before Geno retires. Deny that if you want, but it'll happen. Holly can't even get us to sniff a final 4.

Somebody's sneaking on his mommy's computer again ...

Reactions: 8 people

if you don't like Lady Vols sports,fine,but why make crass remarks in the Lady Vols Forum? there is no need for it

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back