The now intriguing Nia Moore

armchair

I will be interested to see Moore play this year. I think Warlick might come to regret not redshirting her. I'm sure she will spell Russell this year, but her real potential is not at center--she doesn't have the body for it--but at power forward. Moore looked like a career scrub, but we've seen that she has scoring talent; she can face up @ 10 feet and put the ball in the basket; she's confident and has got a quick release--nice assets that others don't have. She took a step last year with some pretty good performances--and I think she will show even more this year.

What I saw last year was a player who can play against inferior competition--and we see how she's been our leading scorer in Italy against bad teams--but did little when the opponent was bigger and tougher. That's partly/mostly an issue with her skinny body. She needs to show that she can contribute against better teams. With continued strength training she still has a lot of upside, in my view, but it won't be at UT.

Reactions: 1 person
Nia has generally produced when given the opportunity. This year the game in Italy that I saw, she was way more aggressive than before. She was diving on the floor and was really attacking. She didn't look like the shy kid from before. I don't think being skinny is that big of a deal. It never affected Dewanna Bonner that much. She is still playing good ball in the WNBA. I expect to lot more out of Moore this year.

Yes, I agree!! She did well in Italy. I hope she gets a chance to play when our season starts. Hopefully, she can provide valuable minutes,.

If all are healthy, we should have a great year. Excited to see how it will all play out!!

Moore tends to be on fire for a few games then go into a deep slump. Let us hope this is not the case as a senior. She started last season like a ball of fire then slumped when SEC play began. I thought when Holly cut her playing time after the suspensions it affected her.
Looks like she is ready for another run hopefully this one will last all season.

Moore would be a very good player playing next to a center. I think her playing out of position hasn't hindered her grownth but she hasn't been able to truly show what she is capable of. But I think the experience of playing against bigger and stronger players is going to work to her advantage in the long run. I just hope she has a breakout season because she, along with the rest of these ladies, deserves it.

Moore would be a very good player playing next to a center. I think her playing out of position hasn't hindered her grownth but she hasn't been able to truly show what she is capable of. But I think the experience of playing against bigger and stronger players is going to work to her advantage in the long run. I just hope she has a breakout season because she, along with the rest of these ladies, deserves it.

I read a couple of your books. Didn't know you were a Vol fan. Was it Butch?

Nia really isn't all that intriguing from where I'm sitting. She performs somewhere between average to good against cupcake teams and from time to time shows some flashes of talent on the offensive end against good teams, but against good teams she is usually a complete turnover waiting to happen who fouls at an alarming rate. That's basically why she can't get minutes: she's a turnover and a foul machine. Same goes for Jasmine Jones, for that matter. They could both really help our team so much more if they didn't turn from sugar to s*** in about half a second's time.

Moore is odd in the sense that she can look good against mediocre teams, but then against better teams she looks completely scattered on the court and does get called for fouls almost immediately. But keep in mind that last year was her first real playing time; she'd hardly ever been on the floor in her first two years. What I like about her, however, is that she has confidence offensively and can put the ball in the basket--and that is something that this team needs, as we have players who are not confident offensively and get tight and can't shoot--this is a team, I remind, that could not even reach 50 points against Maryland. Embarrassing. We need scorers, and Moore, even with her deficiencies, can score. I would like to think that Moore will show even, well, more this year. We shall see. She's our only other center, and since the coaches surely won't give Russell too many minutes, Moore could see a decent amount of PT, unless Warlick decides to go without a center when Russell sits. That will surely happen some.

Reactions: 2 people
Moore has developed far more than I would have expected her to when she arrived. She has soft hands and shoots quick. The SEC type of play makes it difficult for a slim post to hold her ground as she is muscled.

Last year like every other year we heard negative noises on two other players so I ask each year who are nay sayers going to hate this year, and which game that the LVs played lousy is going to be rehashed.

I agree with you armchair,Nia would of benefited greatly from a red shirt year,a lot of time in the weight room and at least 4 trips a day to Mac Donald's would of helped her out a lot,she was improving on her game play last year and then the minute's slowed down a bunch or were non existent for her

she was blocking some shots and scoring some points,but was giving up way to many fouls

hopefully she will get a lot of playing time this year and make some major improvements with her ball handling skills

and yes gule,it is definitely time to FREE NIA :)

I am not sure another year would have much difference in Nia's overall build beyond the work she had done coming into her senior season. Her body type is what it is. She could have improved other aspects of her game, ball handling and outside shooting so that she could have become a more flexible player.

On the plus side, she is quick, athletic and has a knack for scoring. It is disappointing last season the way in which she consistently collapsed when playing against the better teams. This season, if she could just come in and give the team a consistent 10 to 15 minutes of solid play (in bigger games) that could be a difference maker.

I thank Nia Moore has improved since last year, she is a worker and has a great attitude, she can spell Mercedes Russell when she gets in foul trouble, Mercedes Russell looks like she can play big minutes this year, and with the four quarters can get more rest with very little time out of the game.

VN Store

Back