Joyner Holmes article

LORD CAN WE GET JOYNER HOLMES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!! So big so athletic so freakin versatile... Please give us Joyner. Tame that handle just a tad and it could be CP3 all over again

Reactions: 2 people
She is going to Texas.

In the VERY unlikely event she doesn't, Tennessee would likely be the destination.

Seems like Tennessee is in all of these ladies final picks, but we are coming up a bit short on landing them. Hopefully, holly and company can land a couple of these top players

Reactions: 2 people
Had Tina Thompson not joined the Texas staff, I would like Tennessee's chances.

Joyner played for Tina's AAU team, and Tina is HUGE mentor for her. Going anywhere other than Texas would be shocking.

Joyner played for Tina's AAU team, and Tina is HUGE mentor for her. Going anywhere other than Texas would be shocking.

I didn't know that and it makes a lot of sense. Thanks for that info and giving my hopes up lol.

Tennessee is still in contact with Holmes, but Tori McCoy is the #1a priority with Cox being #1b.

If Tennessee can get one of these two, they will be fine.

Reactions: 3 people

I mean dang can we get some star power on our staff... It's a bummer that Tamika doesn't want to coach I bet she could help real in recruits

Reactions: 1 person
Looking at Texas current roster, they are supporting 16 players right now. That includes Vandy's transfer, who is sitting this season out.
They will loose 4 players to graduation, only one being a post.
So Joyner's freshman year, she will be competing with these post players:
Jordan Hosey (#16 2015) 6'1
Christina Aborowa (#72 2015) 6'4
Khaléann Caron-Goudreau (Vandy Transfer) 6'3 **any idea where her twin sister went?**
Sara Hattis 6'4
Kelsey Lang 6'5 (will be a senior when Joyner is freshman)

Current recruting for 2015 prospects:
6'4 Cierra Johnson (#16 2016 class) - Will make a decision next month.

I agree Joyner will be hard to get. I also think her talent will probably put her in front of some of the players already on the roster. But looking at Tennessee roster vs. Texas roster, her resources would go farther here than Texas. But, that seems to not really be a factor for players today .... connections and how comfortable they feel (which are important). Either way it sounds like she will be wearing some kind of orange. Fingers Crossed!

Looking at Texas current roster, they are supporting 16 players right now. That includes Vandy's transfer, who is sitting this season out.
They will loose 4 players to graduation, only one being a post.
So Joyner's freshman year, she will be competing with these post players:
Jordan Hosey (#16 2015) 6'1
Christina Aborowa (#72 2015) 6'4
Khaléann Caron-Goudreau (Vandy Transfer) 6'3 **any idea where her twin sister went?**
Sara Hattis 6'4
Kelsey Lang 6'5 (will be a senior when Joyner is freshman)

Current recruting for 2015 prospects:
6'4 Cierra Johnson (#16 2016 class) - Will make a decision next month.

I agree Joyner will be hard to get. I also think her talent will probably put her in front of some of the players already on the roster. But looking at Tennessee roster vs. Texas roster, her resources would go farther here than Texas. But, that seems to not really be a factor for players today .... connections and how comfortable they feel (which are important). Either way it sounds like she will be wearing some kind of orange. Fingers Crossed!

I think Holmes will be making her decision next month also. I don't think Texas would take Johnson verbal, if she decides to verbal to Texas, until after Holmes has made her decision. Many believe she is the best player in her class. Her athleticism is similar to Jasmine Jones with a more polish offensive game. She is good and whatever school lands her will be very happy. In the end, I think she chooses Texas. I don't even know if she's visited any other schools unofficially.

That is why some fans are worried. I, for one, just don't understand it. We still have a lot to offer recruits.

At the end of the day these girls are like everyone else now, they want to go with a Champion and the Lady Vols have not had a championship in about 8 years. With the success that is anticipated with the return of Russell and addition of DeShields, the LVs have a great opportunity to turn some recruits heads, if not with the 2016 class then with the 2017 & 18 classes. They all know Tennessee, they just want to know they can win at Tennessee instead of thinking I am going to Tennessee to help them get to the final four and win it all.

At the end of the day these girls are like everyone else now, they want to go with a Champion and the Lady Vols have not had a championship in about 8 years. With the success that is anticipated with the return of Russell and addition of DeShields, the LVs have a great opportunity to turn some recruits heads, if not with the 2016 class then with the 2017 & 18 classes. They all know Tennessee, they just want to know they can win at Tennessee instead of thinking I am going to Tennessee to help them get to the final four and win it all.

Then UCONN would be on Holmes final list... it's not. Texas hasn't been to a final four since??? Elite 8 since???

Reactions: 3 people
People say things like "well Holly can't force them to come here" which is true as far as it goes. But it is also true that she is responsible for convincing them to come here. That is part of the job. Pat wasn't allowed to round them up with a shotgun either. Holly will be held to the same standard as every other coach. Either she gets it done or you go out and find someone who can. That is the way it works. There are no mulligans. There is no throwing up your hands and saying "well that is just how the cookie crumbled."

The UT coach gets paid lots of money and results are expected. If we let a position get understocked with talent then there is really no excuse for it and it falls on the head coach.

This is our make or break year. We have the talent to at least make the Final Four. We have a Diamond, and for at least this year we will have a proper setting for her. Next year we will be too thin in the post to expect much. So we risk squandering the years we have with Diamond by not having the proper mix around her. It should not have come to this at a place with UT's support and resources. That is the long and short of it.

Hopefully we kick some ass this year and recruiting will get a little easier.

People say things like "well Holly can't force them to come here" which is true as far as it goes. But it is also true that she is responsible for convincing them to come here. That is part of the job. Pat wasn't allowed to round them up with a shotgun either. Holly will be held to the same standard as every other coach. Either she gets it done or you go out and find someone who can. That is the way it works. There are no mulligans. There is no throwing up your hands and saying "well that is just how the cookie crumbled."

The UT coach gets paid lots of money and results are expected. If we let a position get understocked with talent then there is really no excuse for it and it falls on the head coach.

This is our make or break year. We have the talent to at least make the Final Four. We have a Diamond, and for at least this year we will have a proper setting for her. Next year we will be too thin in the post to expect much. So we risk squandering the years we have with Diamond by not having the proper mix around her. It should not have come to this at a place with UT's support and resources. That is the long and short of it.

Hopefully we kick some ass this year and recruiting will get a little easier.

They won't do that though. If Holly makes it to a Sweet 16 most years the administration will be happy. Women's basketball loses money. Even when it was winning NC's it lost money. It doesn't pay any grocery bills. There is no incentive for them to go out and get the best coach they can find.

We really need to make the Final 4. That will help recruiting tremendously.

and we had two good chances to do so, even though we weren't good enough to win the title. Those two recent elite 8 games were pretty sad displays....

They won't do that though. If Holly makes it to a Sweet 16 most years the administration will be happy. Women's basketball loses money. Even when it was winning NC's it lost money. It doesn't pay any grocery bills. There is no incentive for them to go out and get the best coach they can find.

Wasn't UT packing a big arena for most home games for many years when PS was coach--and yet the program was losing money? That's hard to believe. I thought our women's program made money. Even now we must draw more fans than 95 percent of the women's programs in the country, which would mean that everybody else is losing considerable money. I would hope that the administration would never be happy with Sweet 16s--that would mean accepting a demonstrably lower standard than we have for 30 years.

Then UCONN would be on Holmes final list... it's not. Texas hasn't been to a final four since??? Elite 8 since???

VolfanIND my comment was in reference to someone not understanding why no post haven't selected Tennessee since TN still has lots to offer a recruit. In the specific case of Ms Holmes she is from Texas which is close to family and per Raider where her former AAU coach is now on staff and she probably doesn't want to move to cold Connecticut which will have less playing time for her at the 4.

Wasn't UT packing a big arena for most home games for many years when PS was coach--and yet the program was losing money? That's hard to believe. I thought our women's program made money. Even now we must draw more fans than 95 percent of the women's programs in the country, which would mean that everybody else is losing considerable money. I would hope that the administration would never be happy with Sweet 16s--that would mean accepting a demonstrably lower standard than we have for 30 years.

You do realize that in Pat's first two years she had a total of 32 wins and Holly in her first two (not counting the year with Pat on the side lines with her) she has 59 wins. Pat's move to the final four was in year 3 ... let's wait and see how Holly finishes her 3rd year.

Eveyone has to move passed what Pat did in the 80s and 90s when women's basketball was not even an after thought for 95% of the country. Now women's basketball is relavent due to what Pat did to build the women's basketball brand along with Tennessee's. Choices and selections are totally different so be encouraged by the current direction of the current Lady Vols roster and at least wait until the season starts before jumping off the bridge based on what you think Holly is or isn't doing ...

Reactions: 6 people

Christian Science Monitor:

Is it a better deal to:
A) pay $595 per season ticket plus a $1,600 per seat required "donation," plus an "additional up-front gift" (read: $100,000 payable over five years) for a top seat to University of Louisville Men's Basketball? Or,
B) pay $65 for the same season seat to see the women play? That would be the team that last week trounced top-seeded Maryland 77-60 to make it to the Final Four. (Another $162 gets you the Louisville section for all three playoff games).
http://www.csmonitor.com/

Photos of the Day Photos of the day 02/08

There aren't many bargains in sports, but one of them is NCAA Division I Women's College Basketball – and that's a problem.
It doesn't take a committee on economic oversight to see a glaring imbalance between what schools charge to attend men's versus women's college basketball.

VN Store

Back