Redshirt...

Pat4life

It seems like Holly will be using the redshirt season as a player development and a recruiting tool. I like it, plus we know our ladies will graduate.

Which player this upcoming season could benefit from a redshirt season to work on their skill and body? There can more than one.

1. Jamie Nared. I think she would benefit the most from a redshirt season.

It seems like Holly will be using the redshirt season as a player development and a recruiting tool. I like it, plus we know our ladies will graduate.

Which player this upcoming season could benefit from a redshirt season to work on their skill and body? There can more than one.

1. Jamie Nared. I think she would benefit the most from a redshirt season.

where did you get this idea from? Where has it ever been used in WCBB?

Reactions: 2 people
I found this idea on the side of the road. And just because it hasn't been used in the WCBB, deosnt mean it wouldn't be a good time to start.

This will allow some players to improve their skill set. I see this as a win for player and the program, especially at program like Tenn, with all the ammenties.

I do like the redshirt after playing one season rather their incoming freshman year.

Only negative I see is players leaving early, cos they graduate on time.

2. Kortney Dunbar, either or both.

Last edited:
I found this idea on the side of the road. And just because it hasn't been used in the WCBB, deosnt mean it wouldn't be a good time to start.

This will allow some players to improve their skill set. I see this as a win for player and the program, especially at program like Tenn, with all the ammenties.

I do like the redshirt after playing one season rather their incoming freshman year.

Only negative I see is players leaving early, cos they graduate on time.

2. Kortney Dunbar, either or both.

Well, I guess when you find something on the side of the road, you have the mental power to force it into someone's mind, ie. Holly, and then decide she likes it and will be using it. Interesting.

I don't think it has been used in WCBB for the reason, that most play the sport for the fun and the education, the extremely lucky, very few, will ever make a career of basketball, there are far fewer jobs, and way less money involved in a women's basketball career, and certainly in the USA. As for a recruiting tool, telling a player, hey you won't play basketball for a year, at least, but you can workout and train, just isn't as appealing as say it would be to a football player at Alabama; again, this is a career thing. I would wager to guess no top 60 recruit would find it an appealing option. I seriously doubt Nared, or Dunbar would either.

However, if it catches on, I know where it got it's start.

Would be a good idea if a player was receptive. So far Holly has only used it because of injuries or transfer. It hasn't been done with a healthy player. I think the player would have to agree to it because otherwise you could have some unhappy players.

A volunteer Red Shirt., for no other reason than to volunteer for it. Not to likely to happen in the women's basketball game.

The player would not graduate with their class.....No guarantee said player would stay for final year....No guarantee coach would still be there.....Parents would probably not be real happy about it....Player may lose position to a hot shot player coming in....

Reactions: 1 person
The only player I thank it would help is Nia Moore that is on the roster. I thank Jaime Nared will surprises us this year. I am also a big Jasmine Jones fan.

IMO a program that has won 8 national championships ought to be attracting recruits with appropriate skill sets to contribute immediately. The missing elements, such as a adjusting to the tempo and physicality of the college game and adjusting to playing on a bigger stage, must be acquired through playing experience anyway. Some will adjust more quickly and contribute more. It's good to discover early who will help your program and who needs to be recruited over.

I notice that in softball and soccer, the coaches don't seem to use redshirts when they could for a player who, for example, is injured and doesn't play her freshman year. Yet the player isn't redshirted and so is listed as a sophomore entering her second year. It may be because soccer and softball simply don't have enough scholarships to make redshirting players worthwhile.

That is not the case with women's basketball, however, which, in fact as too many scholarships. You have 5 years to play 4, and so why not redshirt a player who has potential but isn't going to play much as a freshman, say, or who would benefit from another year to mature physically, emotionally, adjust to college life, etc. Football uses the redshirt liberally because it helps the team: with redshirts you effectively stockpile talent. It's harder with basketball, because of the far smaller squad size, but it certainly could be done with players who have the potential to be good but aren't quite ready for real playing time. Jones might have qualified for a medical redshirt last year--did the team ask for one, get one? I can't remember.

If a coach doesn't think a player is going to help the team significantly or might be recruited over, he or she is not going to redshirt a player. I agree that Nia Moore is a good example of someone who'd benefit from a redshirt--give her a year to get stronger, etc--though one could make the opposite case with her, too--that she simply isn't going to help us enough at any time to justify a redshirt. You wouldn't redshirt a player like Nared, however, who played a lot as a freshman and will have a key role on the team going forward. She's too important to the team now. Meme Jackson would, in my mind, be a candidate for a redshirt--has talent/athleticism but probably won't play much this year; would benefit from a year to improve her shooting and offensive gam. But I don't see Warlick doing it, for whatever reason.

First off Jones was redshirted last season and she will be a returning junior this upcoming season. If a player isn't injured you can't just force them to red shirt the only way I see it happening is if the player willingly agrees to do it.

Last edited:
The only player I thank it would help is Nia Moore that is on the roster. I thank Jaime Nared will surprises us this year. I am also a big Jasmine Jones fan.

Jasmine Jones is just so underrated that girl is a pure athlete, she glides going up for rebounds that elevation is sick... If her confidence matched her skill set, she would be deadly... I remember the Vandy game her freshman when she just outright balled, the girl can play

Reactions: 3 people
Jasmine Jones is just so underrated that girl is a pure athlete, she glides going up for rebounds that elevation is sick... If her confidence matched her skill set, she would be deadly... I remember the Vandy game her freshman when she just outright balled, the girl can play

I know she is going to be a red shirt junior, but I expect her to make a huge leap like Cierra and Glory did from their 3rd to 4th year. I really think it will come together for her this year, if she can stay healthy.

With the return of both Russell and Jasmine Jones I would look to redshirt Kortney Dunbar (although I think we lose her if we did so, especially if we get Mavunga). But I don't think we should use it because when you look at the roster(if none decide to leave early like Parker did after reshirting one season) we would have Russell for 3 seasons, and Jasmine Jones & Stephanie (if she signs) for 2 seasons. So the best chance (if we can't get the recruits we need) would be to reshirt her next season, along with Middleton (because both Reynolds and Carter will be seniors). It all hinges on what Holly and her coaches can do in recruiting. It makes no sense to reshirt Nia because she isn't someone who will really improve (she has played 3 season and has only improved marginally).

I think players will, would embrace redshirting in the right way, if its gonna help my team, a parent possibly hating their daughter getting a Masters. I think women game would be better if more ladies redshirted.

Oh, Im sold on Nared but Im sold on Jamsine and Beatshaara too, could be mop up minutes at the four or 3. I think a player like NARED would be ok with redshirting, and class is not as important as some would think, especially not more important than being in contention for a championship.

Neva claimed to be in Holly's mind injury or not its something this staff need to look at especially when they have a log jam at one position, to me thats part of coaching.

Last edited:
First off Jones was redshirted last season and she will be a returning junior this upcoming season. If a player isn't injured you can't just force them to red shirt the only way I see it happening is if the player willingly agrees to do it.

Its a mutual agreed upon decision. Hey Kortney and Nared the minutes at the four will be tough this year, both of you need to improve your handles to the play the three. Nared you were a solid contributor last year, lets give you a year to work on yo game.

Hmmmm. I would rather redshirt than ride the bench. Redshirting is not a negative, it was a gift.

Yeah, I think the year off will really help Jasmine too, love her play, just tough in big games.

I mean seriously why waste your #1 player or center playing behind the projected #1 draft pick, ijs.

I know she is going to be a red shirt junior, but I expect her to make a huge leap like Cierra and Glory did from their 3rd to 4th year. I really think it will come together for her this year, if she can stay healthy.

Oh trust and believe you're not the only one.. Before her concussion I saw her greatly coming into her role and her game.. Even though the game against Rutgers was a gritty she still played hard she showed that hey I can possibly be a 3rd scoring option I can go off at anytime.. She reminds me of Gwen Jackson,you never counted out Gwen you knew that Gwen was going to play 110 every single game. If you look at Tennessee in 03 Gwen had a huge impact in just about every single game, she could score in multiple area's etc and honestly if Jasmine gets Gwen's confidence she can be that 100x more because her athleticism if off the charts

Reactions: 5 people
Well it's not by force and just cause you think it's a good idea doesn't mean they should go ahead and do it. players have feelings and if they are unhappy and voice their unhappiness to their families then this will be a disaster. i don't see how this helps with recruiting either.

Now you an opportunity to stretch her out another year, especially since we are moving towards a more stretch 4 players oppose to a more traditional power forward in our offense, that 3 and 4 plays can be interchangeable, a lot like the guards in a three guard line up.

You dont think Mercedes and Jasmine gaining an extra year didn't help our recruiting, well maybe recruiting is the wrong word our class balance, or developing...it helped or increase our chances to have success over the long haul without a talented player riding the bench, wasting a year.

Imagine if Nia, Graves and Jones were all graduating next year. hmmm

I can see a player redshirting this season, I meant getting hurt.

Jasmine will have a breakout year.

Last edited:
Nothing about this is a negative, ya mean they get to spend an extra year at one of the best programs with the best facilities to work on their game to help increase their chances of going pro. Huh?

We have a negative image associated with redshirting, for most it has always been a win/win for both parties.

Not saying you would do it all the time, but why waste talent riding the bench, especially if it's young post player.

Im for one hoping it finds it way into the women's game to allow some young women more time to develop and become better or special players.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back