Soccer season starts in less than a month...

armchair

I hope and expect to see a more formidable UT soccer team this year. We've got some good players coming back and a bunch of good freshman coming in, so the Vols should be improved and certainly a contender for the NCAA tourney, which they missed last year.

It will be interesting to see what formation coach Pensky uses this year. Last year, correct me if wrong, we seemed to play a lot of 4-3-3, which didn't work out so well because our midfield wasn't strong and with an injured Wilkinson we not only struggled to score goals but gave up a lot of shots by our opponents.

This year the midfield should be quite a bit better, led by returning Baldwin and Christy and the addition of phenom Katy Cousins. Among the forwards, in addition to Wilkinson there will be returning Amy Neal, McClung, Creighton and the highly regarded Anna Bialczak, who did not play last year. The big question in the back is who will fill Allie Sirna's key centerback position.

I wonder if Pensky will consider playing a 4-2-3-1 formation, with two holding midfielders and Wilkinson as the lone striker. It would be a way to get more of the attacking talent on the field while playing at the same time keeping the defense solid with the holding mids, who can adjust their positioning as needed. The U.S. women's national team did that in the recent World Cup, changed their formation after the group stage, took out one of their two strikers and added to the midfield--and it made all the difference. With a stronger midfield, we ought to be a better possession/combination team and not have to simply thump long balls down the field all the time and hope Wilkinson can get on the end of one and score. We might see the other forwards get more scoring opportunities. In any case, should be an exciting year for UT Soccer.

Reactions: 1 person
armchair you make a lot of good points. I've been trying to figure out what Coach Pensky could do, but I will tell you it will be a dogfight to get playing on this team, there is that much talent. If he sticks with the 4-3-3 I believe the lineup might go as such:
GK: Julie Eckel
D: Emily Morrow, Gabby Santorio, Susan Ferguson, Kiah Allen
MF: Michele Christy, Carlyn Baldwin, Katie Cousins
F: Anna McClung, Hannah Wilkinson, Amy Neal

But I like your idea of a 4-2-3-1, especially with this roster. I could see it as:
CDM: Carlyn Baldwin, Michele Christy
CAM:Anna McClung, Katie Cousins, Anna Bialczak
F: Hannah Wilkinson

This freshman class is a good one and Katie Cousins showed her skill of possessing the ball in their spring game I saw against Auburn. Two more freshman I'm excited about are Danielle Marcano and Maya Neal, both could see major playing time. I'm so excited for this season, my roommate and I started the student section at the soccer games last season and we've got some big things planned for this year.

Reactions: 2 people
Seriously, I do hope they do well and think they have a good coach. Just can't get excited about it or watch it unless I want to cure my insomnia. But I understand a lot of you enjoy it so cheer on!

armchair you make a lot of good points. I've been trying to figure out what Coach Pensky could do, but I will tell you it will be a dogfight to get playing on this team, there is that much talent. If he sticks with the 4-3-3 I believe the lineup might go as such:
MF: Michele Christy, Carlyn Baldwin, Katie Cousins
F: Anna McClung, Hannah Wilkinson, Amy Neal

But I like your idea of a 4-2-3-1, especially with this roster. I could see it as:
CDM: Carlyn Baldwin, Michele Christy
CAM:Anna McClung, Katie Cousins, Anna Bialczak
F: Hannah Wilkinson

This freshman class is a good one and Katie Cousins showed her skill of possessing the ball in their spring game I saw against Auburn. Two more freshman I'm excited about are Danielle Marcano and Maya Neal, both could see major playing time. I'm so excited for this season, my roommate and I started the student section at the soccer games last season and we've got some big things planned for this year.

Was Ferguson playing centerback in the spring? I assume so. I have wondered where she might play this year, since she has experience and stamina and some skills but is not a great attacking player. Centerback makes sense. Morrow worries me a bit--experienced but small and not a super athlete. Pensky may play a lot of people--three or four freshman, and Flynn, who was hurt last year, was a fairly highly-rated prospect too. It's nice to have depth and options--and expect to see this program get back to the top of the SEC and even be a serious factor in the NCAA tourney in the years ahead. If the team gets good, they may even want to start charging a few dollars for fans to attend. I got to some UVA soccer games in Charlottesville and they charge $7 and get pretty good crowds. Not that I like to pay--but even a little revenue for the program is a good thing.

I think it's time for people to stop the "I don't like soccer" posts when they see a soccer thread. Talk about boring. Don't read it. Soccer is getting very big in this country.

Was Ferguson playing centerback in the spring? I assume so. I have wondered where she might play this year, since she has experience and stamina and some skills but is not a great attacking player. Centerback makes sense. Morrow worries me a bit--experienced but small and not a super athlete. Pensky may play a lot of people--three or four freshman, and Flynn, who was hurt last year, was a fairly highly-rated prospect too. It's nice to have depth and options--and expect to see this program get back to the top of the SEC and even be a serious factor in the NCAA tourney in the years ahead. If the team gets good, they may even want to start charging a few dollars for fans to attend. I got to some UVA soccer games in Charlottesville and they charge $7 and get pretty good crowds. Not that I like to pay--but even a little revenue for the program is a good thing.

I think it's time for people to stop the "I don't like soccer" posts when they see a soccer thread. Talk about boring. Don't read it. Soccer is getting very big in this country.

Yeah Susan got moved back to center back for those exact reasons. Better defensively than she is offensively and you insert a senior leader back there. From the spring game I saw them play against Auburn, Meghan Flynn is a good one. She's like Amy Neal, doesn't mind physical play and does absolutely everything she can to win the ball. They make a trip to Virginia Tech on the 30th, the toughest game in their non-conference.

Yeah Susan got moved back to center back for those exact reasons. Better defensively than she is offensively and you insert a senior leader back there. From the spring game I saw them play against Auburn, Meghan Flynn is a good one. She's like Amy Neal, doesn't mind physical play and does absolutely everything she can to win the ball. They make a trip to Virginia Tech on the 30th, the toughest game in their non-conference.

by the non-conference, pre-SEC schedule, to be candid. It's a little weak for my taste--but I plan to go to the Va. Tech game, which should be competitive, and maybe Liberty too, which I hope won't be!

Although I'm not much of a soccer fan, I appreciate the detailed explanation of your expertise...

VN Store

Back