2018 G Christyn Williams

mtsuraider06

5'10" G out of Arkansas picked up offer from Tennessee today. This is good, as Tennessee rarely offers this early. Offering now shows that they want her, and would take a commitment now without question.

Ranked #3 by ESPN
Ranked #8 by ProspectsNation

Invited to 2015 U16 trials, but didn't make squad. Would be a GREAT pickup for Tennessee. Would come in Cooper's senior season.

Tennessee is also very much in the mix for:

6'4" P Charli Collier from Texas (2018)
6'3" P Kasiyahna Kushkituah from Georgia (2017)
6'2" F Rellah Boothe from Florida (2017)
6'3" P Jade Williams from Texas (2017)
6'3" F LaDazhia Williams from Florida (2017)

All of these are Top 10 players from these two classes.

Great! I think we will have good signing classes for the 2017 and 2018 classes. My concern is the 2016 class.

Great! I think we will have good signing classes for the 2017 and 2018 classes. My concern is the 2016 class.

Even if 2016 was judged as a bust, the 2017s would be freshman with Russell, DeShields, Nared as seniors. Without any major injuries, UT would still be a final 4 team plus have an extra scholly for the 2017 or 2018 class.

I am assuming that UT would land 2-3 of the players Raider mentioned above in 2017

It will be tough to get Boothe from Maryland. They have been leading for her for awhile.

Jade Williams & Collier play on same AAU team, so if one does come, it does help with the other. I know Collier likes Tennessee A LOT, and many say she is the top player in 2018.

Tennessee has been in on LaDazhia from the beginning, before any other big programs were, and there is high mutual interest on both sides.

KK is ours to lose at this point. Her HS teammate, Maya Dobson, also likes Tennessee.

My wishlist would be Christyn Williams, Charli Collier, and KK. Any others besides those three would be GREAT!

Reactions: 1 person
Tennessee is also in on Megan Walker, the #1 2017 player. Would be CRAZY good if she came to Tennessee, especially being from Virginia. Her family wouldn't have to travel a long way to watch her play.

That being said, I would be really surprised if she came here.

I've seen Charli Collier play and her skill set as a high school sophomore is amazing.. As she matures and get's stronger etc she is going to be a beast and if we land her BIG BIG BIG things will happen

Now that Tennessee has offered, all of sudden many other big programs have offered. Texas A&M and now Texas. Arkansas offered first followed by Baylor. Now that Tennessee has come to the party many other are becoming interested. I wouldn't be surprise to see our SEC rivals SC and UK offering next. Glad we got in early in the process and by her publicly saying Diamond DeShields is her role model it will give Tennessee an edge when she decides.

She looks awesome, but she has to develop her other hand...She moves left 90% of the time....That will be picked up by a smart coach...

She's still young.

Speaking of developing your off hand, that is something Reynolds seriously needs to do. She ought to be dribbling an hour a day with her right hand.

Speaking of developing your off hand, that is something Reynolds seriously needs to do. She ought to be dribbling an hour a day with her right hand.

Good call armchair, I agree...Reynolds has improved her ball handling abilities, but still a lot of work to do. I'm a fan of hers and hope she becomes stronger at the point of attack.

One of our guards have to be an All Sec performer to make it back to the final 4. You can never have too many guards. I can see Holly being able to throw five guards on the floor if they rebound, really outside the box offensive stuff,especially for "Lady Vols" fans.

She'll be able to test it in Italy with extra practice days, and two of her best and high bball IQ players from guard, wing, and post will be able to reinforce her, back her up, Powers, was the perfect muse for Deshields.

I like her learning from Bruno, he runs a lot of 4 and 1 and 5 out sets offensively, Holly is smart she knows, she has to be more versatile, to be active in her growth as a coach, Pat always offered and solicited help, which made her great.

I feel Holly is a student of the game. I think she understands we want Final 4s and Championships. I don't think nobody knows the expectations better than Holly. She helped set the standard, as to what it takes to be a Lady Vol.

Good guard play wins championships, our guard play has to be get better, the great thing is South Carolina is in the same boat, with their guard play.

Our guards need to work on their handles, confidence and aggression. I miss the days of us having good guards.

FYI, most good defensive guards who are not be good shooters are usually good at attacking the rim on offense,and/or getting you extra possessions with their defense.

Its been a while since we have seen one of our guards attack the gaps with confidence or attack the rim and draw two players for uncontested layups or for an open jumper, and and our guards are able read which player to pass the ball too, (our guards last year often times pass to the player defended by two players) or attack the defense or mane defense player, for easier post touches. Good offense. lol

We need guards who are threats from the paint to the three, they have to be complete players now at all three guard spots, solid guard play last year we're in the final 4 with out Izzy. Our guards weren't ready. hmmmm

Yes, we want her. Let's go Christyn.

More:

Bruno pretty much showed Holly his play book,and his offensive philosophy, Bruno is a teacher, Holly was able to see sets envisioning her players (focusing getting the 2, 3, 5 players shots, and getting to the rim).

She was able to see, envision her players players at each position: Diamond = Ariel, Russell = Russell, McCall = Graves (same skill set), Courtney, we have nobody like Courtney on our team,yet. She made up for Canada's horrible play, I feel Reynolds is better, if not equal.

And the difference between a good offense and bad one is not really all about the x and o's, if you have SMART and confident players, playing at each position. Uconn traditionally has 3, 4 or 5 confident players, while every other team in the NCAA has maybe two or three PLAYERS tops, there inlies the separation. We've been only been having one.

Last edited:
I'm tired of our guards not playing to their strengths...

Reynolds has a solid frame when a team goes mane or zone, she should be a nightmare matchup, if she's aggressive and played with confidence. We saw a glimpse of that player against Kentucky in the Sec Final her Freshmen year, play like that all the time. We go to Final 4s.

Draya, needs space to operate offensively, her strength is running, moving without the ball, her pace should wear opposing players down, she is the one player that should be cutting, sealing, setting back screens, diving to the basket with her hops and athleticism, look at all that action on offense.

But no they want to be three point shooters and ya know its bad when a coach has to tell her team no more threes in the game, cos every coach wants paint points, easy points, unless you have efficient scorers at multiple positions then it doesn't matter as much, neither does rebounds.

Our guards lack confidence they'll wait til to the end of the shot clock and jack up a three or turnover, and sometimes you watch the offensive set, and the guards made no attempt to attack the rim or the defense. I know Holly see those players do it in practice cos that's why they are playing, you can't play the game for them or rush their progress.

We should grab a guard or wing, one of the best in the country every year. You can have the best post in the world, they still need space to operate and someone to get them the ball. Cooper and Jackson dont hold back and may the best lady wins. :)

Last edited:
And Bruno offense focuses on getting the players who shoot the ball the best, more shots. How simple is that? Think Geno, with more athletic players.

We can't get caught up with the best players but the five who plays the best together,everyone playing their roles
and playing to their strengths. But fans be thinking it the best five at each position, it seldoms works out that way unless your Uconn.

I'm tired of our guards not playing to their strengths...

Reynolds you have a solid frame when a team goes mane or zone, you should be a nightmare matchup, if you were aggressive and played with confidence. We saw a glimpse of that player against Kentucky in the Sec Final your Freshmen year, play like that all the time. We go to Final 4s.

Draya, needs space to operate offensively, her strength is running, moving without the ball, your pace should wear opposing players down, she is the one player that should be cutting, sealing, setting back screens, diving to the basket with her hops and athleticism, look at all that action on offense.

But no they want to be three point shooters and ya know its bad when a coach has to tell her team no more threes in the game, cos every coach wants paint points, easy points, unless you have efficient scorers at multiple positions then it doesn't matter as much, neither does rebounds.

Our guards lack confidence they'll wait til to the end of the shot clock and jack up a three or turnover, and sometimes you watch the offensive set, and the guards made no attempt to attack the rim or the defense. I know Holly see those players do it in practice cos that's why they are playing, you can't play the game for them or rush their progress.

We should grab a guard or wing, one of the best in the country every year. You can have the best post in the world, they still need space to operate and someone to get them the ball. Cooper and Jackson dont hold back and may the best lady wins. :)

Our coaches have not been good at coaching team offense and building confidence in offensive players for a LONG time. It is a chronic problem with this program that in large measure is responsible for UT's struggles for a decade or longer. We have seen Graves slowly develop some shooting confidence, and it can be hard with some players, for sure--but this has not been a UT coaching strength.

Reynolds, with her size, IS a matchup nightmare. We see how she can drive down the left-hand lane consistently and get an 8-10 foot shot. But she doesn't make them consistently enough. If you are shooting from 8 feet, even if contested or halfway contested, you've got to make more than half of them if not 60 percent or more. And she probably makes 40 percent. She needs to improve her ball-handling--she should be working non-stop on improving her right (off)-hand dribbling, and just getting to the basket and making shots.

Carter, as you say, has classic off-the-ball guard athleticism. You use picks, you use your quickness, you get to those spots where you are comfortable and confident shooting the ball, you get the ball, go up and score. She has got the prettiest jump-shot form on the team. We see her score like this occasionally, but like everybody, she is inconsistent, tentative sometimes.

The Vols don't have the offensive cohesion that we see with UConn: we don't pass the ball well enough, and there is simply not enough individual and team confidence. We will play well for a stretch, score--and then inexplicably just completely lose it offensively. Last year's woeful offensive performance against Maryland was classic, in the bad sense: We started out well, played good defense, made some shots, got a lead--and then the team, individually and collectively started to lose confidence. A few shots are missed--and then suddenly one player starts getting tentative, and then the whole team got tentative--just like we did against Louisville. It is hard to see UT so weak-minded on offense--but we visible SHRANK under the pressure, and gradually let a Maryland team with a little more mental toughness take the game from us. This is coaching, IMO.

In any case, Carter and Reynolds should be improved offensively this year--have to be. The real question is what level of confidence and cohesion we have. We have talent, but you need more than that.

Confidence is hard to build eternally, and you keep blaming the coach, shows that you prolly never played sports at high level, players have to take ownership too.

I didnt become good by practice time, you get maybe 30 minutes tops, offensive skill development is all the offseason, our players haven't been putting in the work and you can't make them go to the gym.

I can tell easily the players putting in work on their own(doing extra work) and those who dont, cos with hard work comes confidence and consistency, it shows in the game.

Competition at each position helps this development, personally once, I realized I was the best at my position, as a player, I called the shots and if that player is a leader, the other players followed their lead. If I was in the gym all the time, my teammates were there too, but if I didnt cos I knew I was better, and relied on my superior athleticism, then my game stayed the same, so players have mo say than you think.

Uconn players put in the work on their own, Geno dont have to worry about them getting in the gym, that's their standard, and that will soon be our standard again, cos we are recruiting gym rats.

As a coach, I had players who were rock stars in practice, an controlled environment, but once the real game started, they wasnt the same, thats not coaching, that's on the player, you let see the sports pyscologist, you talk to them, you start them, you bring them off the bench, you try everything cos you see it in practice, and that's one of the most frustrating parts of coaching.

I'm liking Holly's progression, all Pat's players are gone, now this is truly her team and she assembled a nice one.=

Cos if every player was aggressive and confident, whoa there would 5 all Americans on every team.

Fantasy world. Real world. ijs

Please don't quote my posts, I wasnt talking to you directly. Plus you're posts are always...the same. Holly sucks, the team sucks...our offense sucks...the Lady Vols suck

We recruit, one elite, aggressive, athletic guard or wing, ever year, who's a gym rat.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
It will be tough to get Boothe from Maryland. They have been leading for her for awhile.

Jade Williams & Collier play on same AAU team, so if one does come, it does help with the other. I know Collier likes Tennessee A LOT, and many say she is the top player in 2018.

Tennessee has been in on LaDazhia from the beginning, before any other big programs were, and there is high mutual interest on both sides.

KK is ours to lose at this point. Her HS teammate, Maya Dobson, also likes Tennessee.

My wishlist would be Christyn Williams, Charli Collier, and KK. Any others besides those three would be GREAT!

My wish list too.

Confidence is hard to build eternally, and you keep blaming the coach, shows that you prolly never played sports at high level, players have to take ownership too.

I didnt become good by practice time, you get maybe 30 minutes tops, offensive skill development is all the offseason, our players haven't been putting in the work and you can't make them go to the gym.

I can tell easily the players putting in work on their own(doing extra work) and those who dont, cos with hard work comes confidence and consistency, it shows in the game.

Competition at each position helps this development, personally once, I realized I was the best at my position, as a player, I called the shots and if that player is a leader, the other players followed their lead. If I was in the gym all the time, my teammates were there too, but if I didnt cos I knew I was better, and relied on my superior athleticism, then my game stayed the same, so players have mo say than you think.

Uconn players put in the work on their own, Geno dont have to worry about them getting in the gym, that's their standard, and that will soon be our standard again, cos we are recruiting gym rats.

As a coach, I had players who were rock stars in practice, an controlled environment, but once the real game started, they wasnt the same, thats not coaching, that's on the player, you let see the sports pyscologist, you talk to them, you start them, you bring them off the bench, you try everything cos you see it in practice, and that's one of the most frustrating parts of coaching.

I'm liking Holly's progression, all Pat's players are gone, now this is truly her team and she assembled a nice one.=

Cos if every player was aggressive and confident, whoa there would 5 all Americans on every team.

Fantasy world. Real world. ijs

Please don't quote my posts, I wasnt talking to you directly. Plus you're posts are always...the same. Holly sucks, the team sucks...our offense sucks...the Lady Vols suck

We recruit, one elite, aggressive, athletic guard or wing, ever year, who's a gym rat.

I totally agree with your post. I must say I've blame Holly for some things too, but it is time for the players to take ownership also. There is no reason for Carter and Reynolds to be so inconsistent and have such a lack of confidence on the offensive side of the ball. It was so frustrating watching those two last season. Graves also. She is to strong and athletic to not be more agressive in games and not show up consistently. You can have the perfect offense drawn up, but if your guards can't hit open shots and your posts are missing chippies around the rim, it will still look bad. I just hope Holly starts the five best players. I don't care if you're a senior or freshman.

Now with the addition of Diamond and Mercedes, I just hope that they don't forget about Bash. She's not strong when she's playing with her back to the basket on the block, but she is money at the high post. I never understood the staff playing her and Izzy on the block together, when they had more success running their high-low set. Bash was better taking her man off the dribble and drawing a foul and passing. With Mercedes back this year I feel as though it will be the same scenario like Izzy had just pounding the ball into Mercedes every time. And we will lack getting Bash involved in the offense. This is just how I see things playing out.

Reactions: 2 people
Bash, game has to evolve too, she cant keep standing around on the low block, she needs more movement too, similiar to Carter, if they both become the straws, that set the screens, always active from side to side, but so many times our players, Graves included stood around and watch other players do their thing.

And our offense will look the same this year with Diamond if players are not playing with her.

Generally coaches run plays for three players and/or spots, if the class/group is together all five spots.

However, Graves is limited offensively so you wouldn't necessarily run a play for her, she lack confidence in her game, too inconsistent, you wouldn't run a play unless its an obvious mix match and/or she is hot in the game but you do have plays or sets in for a position, if Graves if at the five.

I tell my team, a post better touch the ball before we shoot every time unless its yo money shot, especislly with a player like Russell or Izzy, if the guards dig, or someone helps, we find the open player, once that defense collapse an offense usually has options, if your players are in attack mode.

Where do you feel confident, if you gave Graves the ball she would score?

I would definitely trust Graves to put the team on her back. Before Izzy was hurt she was only getting maybe four touches a game the rest being put backs. No matter how good of position she had in the post they chose not to throw it to her, but instead passed it to Izzy who was double team or even triple teamed most the time.Then my one peeve I had with Izzy is if she got the ball in the post it was never coming back out she would sometimes take on those defenders when her best option was to kick it back out.

As for B, she stepped up big time when Izzy went out when she had to play the five. Bash doesn't get a lot credit. Her passing skills are top notch. She totaled just as many assist as all the guards did last year(B had the same amount as Draya) and was second in rebounds after Cierra. Also shot a better percentage than Izzy from the field. I'm just saying the Graves not being a great player crap is definitely unwarranted. So again how is she limited offensively?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I would definitely trust Graves to put the team on her back. Before Izzy was hurt she was only getting maybe four touches a game the rat being put backs. No matter how good of position she had in the post they chose not to throw it to her, but instead passed it to Izzy who was double team or even triple teamed most the time.Then my one peeve I had with Izzy is if she got the ball in the post it was never coming back out she would sometimes take on those defenders when her best option was to kick it back out.

As for B, she stepped up big time when Izzy went out when she had to play the five. Bash doesn't get a lot credit. Her passing skills are top notch. She totaled just as many assist as all the guards did last year(B had the same amount as Draya) and was second in rebounds after Cierra. Also shot a better percentage than Izzy from the field. I'm just saying the Graves not being a great player crap is definitely unwarranted. So again how is she limited offensively?

Okayyyy thank goodness I'm not the only one who thought these things. Idk what games everyone else was watching but Bashaara played well last season. She developed a mid range jumper and hit it with regularity, she passes the ball exceptionally well, hence the assist numbers. Her and Mercedes should be much more effective with how well they pass the ball. Like you said Orange, Izzy rarely looked to pass the ball back out when she had no option to score. I love Izzy but that was one of the main concerns I had with her game. I've never really understood the "Graves offensive game is weak" crowd.

Graves should've been an All American, she should be an all SEC performer anything less than to me is... she's a player who hasn't been getting in the gym.

I think, she's in the gym this summer tho. Hey, I love Beastshaara, but my expectations were high last year.

Graves and Reynolds did not exceed my expectations, but they have one more and two more season they are or will be playing with a player who hates to lose, Deshield will make everyone on the team better.

Graves comes to play like All Americsn every nite, we win a lot games. Yes, I love the elbow jumper, I thought she extended her range too.

I think Graves, gets it. Her season wasn't bad but my expectations were higher, Ill take it cos she did get better.

Jasmine will be a nice addition, Im curious to see how she develops this off season, that was a lot time to work her game and watch, to help her BB IQ, she could be 10 points and 6 rebounds, 2 Steals, player...

Yes, I'm excited for all the players, Cooper is competitive, Deshields is competitive, and Russell is competitive, Jasmine is competitive.

If every one commit to being a lady vols, striving to being an All American, you win championships with All American players too, thats why some say we haven't been developing players.

Yes,I would love to have Ms. Williams.

VN Store

Back