Russell Stars In USA Win

VN News

Mercedes Russell tallied 25 points and 14 rebounds to lead the USA to a 102-98 double-overtime victory over Japan Saturday in the World University Games semifinal round. STATS |

More...

Hard to believe she played so many minutes. The U.S. team has got (at least) three bigs. One of the others played nearly 37 minutes, but the third one played under 11, which suggests she had some sort of injury or somesuch that limited her play.

Japan's tallest player was only 5'11" so Russell had an easy time going over her. Replay on ESPN. Still Russell looked like she was moving well.

Also, Japan was a scrappy, well coached, moved the ball well, quick team. Bet some US university would love to have that coach.

Playing almost 47 minutes is a great sign for Russell. 25 points and 14 rebounds, very good. Zero blocked shots and zero assists in 47 minutes not so good. But again, the WUG is the first time she's played in a real game in a long time. It will come.

Canada's team is huge. Russell better eat some redhots & jumping beans.

Mercedes did a good job she used her size to her advantage she cleaned up on put backs pretty much owned the paint. She knew that if she kept it high that Japan wasn't gonna be able to guard her so great job on that Mercedes... Now I was hoping that all of her shots weren't gonna be in the same spot so I was happy to see her step out and hit that free throw line shot which was nice it just seemed to flow, Now is she can hit from 15 ft consistently omg at 6'6 that's just extra money in the bank.. But I've come to the realization that she is a finesse center she may power up when the season starts but she is a finesse player... Now Japan omg those girls can flat out shoot I've never seen shots just gone in constantly like that is what you call playing small ball well lol and don't get me started on the speed lol like give them a baton and they can run the 4x100 lol

VN Store

Back