Russell Leads USA Past Czechs

VN News

Mercedes Russell carded her second consecutive double-double, as the USA women improved to 3-0 at the World University Games with a 92-54 triumph over Czech Republic.

More...

Reactions: 1 person
Great win for USA. After both teams beat China and Italy the USA dominated the Czechs. Mercedes plays 25 minutes and get 18 point on 9 of 11 shooting and pulls down 12 rebounds.

Reactions: 2 people
The players from South Carolina are with them.

So is their coach.

I think they will all transfer to The Palmetto State.

russell not doing much, :(
She didn't do much at all, partly cause guards were trying to shoot over the zone and not able to make entry pass early in the game and partly because of defense and offense pulling her from under the basket.

I personally can't wait to see Mercedes at full force.. I don't want to make any excuses for her but Mercedes being the top recruit we are expecting some big things... Her freshman year wasn't all that great but hey neither was Izzy's and she just amazed me over the years. I know Mercedes wants to be a Candace but I think she could be more beneficial as a Ash Robinson or even beef her up give her some aggression and make her a Fluker.. She is going to draw alot of attention down in that post and she needs to toughen up... I heard the WUG nicknamed her the terminator so that may be a sign

I personally can't wait to see Mercedes at full force.. I don't want to make any excuses for her but Mercedes being the top recruit we are expecting some big things... Her freshman year wasn't all that great but hey neither was Izzy's and she just amazed me over the years. I know Mercedes wants to be a Candace but I think she could be more beneficial as a Ash Robinson or even beef her up give her some aggression and make her a Fluker.. She is going to draw alot of attention down in that post and she needs to toughen up... I heard the WUG nicknamed her the terminator so that may be a sign

She plays a little soft for her size--but then she hasn't played much. She is nothing like Parker, of course, but should be much better than A. Robinson, who had no offensive game at all.

There is no reason why Russell shouldn't be a force in the paint, in the low post, if she coached to play STRONG and play QUICK. Establish position down low, use her body effectively for leverage against her defender, keep the ball up and then turn and shoot. Like all good low-post players, she should develop a good sense of the position of her defender and how to take advantage of her defender's position--and this cannot be emphasized enough, she needs to be decisive with the basketball, which is something Graves has yet to learn. You can't dither in the paint--it only gives the defense time to collapse on you, and you've got play big by keeping the ball up high. It's all about learning to be explosive--no hesitation. Eager to see her play.

I've yet to see anyone give a good pass into Russell where she doesn't have to wait for it, reach for it or fight thru a hard foul to get it. These guards suck!

I need to revise this since I didn't see the 1st quarter of the game until just now on replay. they gave her 3 good passes, she was weak on one shot attempt, fumbled a good pass (because she was pushed in the back) and made her first shot off an easy feed from the top of the key.

Later, she seemed to give up on effort.. Not impressed, :(

Last edited:
if you watch, half of Russell's time is taken up pointing out where on the court her "teammates" are supposed to be when on offense. Turrible, just turrible! :(

She plays a little soft for her size--but then she hasn't played much. She is nothing like Parker, of course, but should be much better than A. Robinson, who had no offensive game at all.

There is no reason why Russell shouldn't be a force in the paint, in the low post, if she coached to play STRONG and play QUICK. Establish position down low, use her body effectively for leverage against her defender, keep the ball up and then turn and shoot. Like all good low-post players, she should develop a good sense of the position of her defender and how to take advantage of her defender's position--and this cannot be emphasized enough, she needs to be decisive with the basketball, which is something Graves has yet to learn. You can't dither in the paint--it only gives the defense time to collapse on you, and you've got play big by keeping the ball up high. It's all about learning to be explosive--no hesitation. Eager to see her play.

How about a Michelle Snow? who still had a bit of finesse to her game but wasn't afraid to bang it out. I just want to see what she can do because we have a damn good team NC contenders without a doubt

I've yet to see anyone give a good pass into Russell where she doesn't have to wait for it, reach for it or fight thru a hard foul to get it. These guards suck!

I need to revise this since I didn't see the 1st quarter of the game until just now on replay. they gave her 3 good passes, she was weak on one shot attempt, fumbled a good pass (because she was pushed in the back) and made her first shot off an easy feed from the top of the key.

Later, she seemed to give up on effort.. Not impressed, :(

I haven't seen any of the games but just from the box scores she is getting outplayed by the sophomore center from Stanford, McCall, by a pretty wide margin. Boxscores can be deceiving and hopefully she is rounding into shape.

But I noticed last year she did not play very physical for her size. She should be dominating in the paint and eating space.

I also saw where DeShields had a few minutes against Italy but didn't do anything. Hopefully that lingering injury will be healed up soon and we can see what she can do.

Im still trying to figure out why the team nicknamed her "The Terminator" ....There are two types of post players....bangers and finessers ! Mercedes is all finesse, NO bang! With time and development she can add the other element to her game.

VN Store

Back