USA Women Begin WUG Play

VN News

With a strong Tennessee presence on its roster, the USA women’s basketball team begins play in the World University Games at 9 p.m. ET on July 4.
video_icon.png
WATCH USA-ITALY LIVE

More...

Reactions: 2 people
Thanks for that info because on the USA web site it says 9 am

I thought it was then too, so I thought I wasn't gonna be able to catch the entire match. Good to know the actual time, now I know I'll be able to watch the whole game :)
Hopefully Diamond will get to play & whatever injury she had was minor

thanks for the heads up :hi:

i have it set to record off of ESPNU now :) I can't wait to see Russell and DeShields play

Reactions: 1 person
We are all anxiously waiting to see how Diamond and Mercedes do in these games...Please just stay healthy.

I am watching and Mercedes is playing much better on two healed feet. Haven't seen much of Deshields though.

Diamond is being eased back in slowly due to a leg injury from UNC and last year...she was on no contact for almost three months.

This is also hers and Mercedes' first real game in over a year, they will need time to get the rust off.

Reactions: 2 people
It's time to set a few back screens and teach these Italians that hacking, grabbing, pushing, etc. has its price.

Russell looks much better! She has great hands and she has altered a lot of shots. She must learn to keep the ball high because they are swarming her as soon as she catches. But as she gets her flow back, she will be a force with her soft touch and protection of the rim.

Mercedes is going to be good for us barring no injuries this upcoming year! I thought the speed of the game would get to her but she's been playing pretty well on both ends of the floor and running very well. Idk what's wrong with Diamond, she looks a step slow. They did mention she had a boot on at the opening ceremonies.

An announcer mentioned that DeShields was in a boot yesterday from an ankle injury during practice.

I see that UT luck continues: DeShields with an opportunity to get back in the groove against international competition and she's got an ankle injury, which would explain why I didn't see her at all in the fourth quarter of the game, which is all I watched. Russell played some in the 4th and seemed to be moving well but didn't even get the ball on offense and definitely looks rusty and not entirely fit. She's got a long way to go but nice to see her playing again. USA had 33 turnovers! Game was almost not watchable because there were so many fouls by Italy and just so many whistles. Canada, the PG from UCLA, is good but never passes the ball!

That was one physical game. Body slams right and left without being called. It has to be frustrating to players not used to that much body contact. Mercedes looked O.K., but not great. Diamond was just off. She didn't look good at all. I hope it was just rust and the bad ankle.

I'm not worried about Diamond. She will be okay. She just have to get back to playing. You don't lose talent in one year.

Diamond looks limited in movement to me. Rust maybe?

I think we were expecting DeShields to pick up where she left off as NCAA Freshman of the Year. In all reality, she hasn't played in a real game in a year and it will take time for her to get her flow back. By November, I expect her to be back to normal. Russell looks much better than her Freshman season. When both of them get comfortable and in rhythm, they will be very dangerous pieces on this team. The announcer stated that Russell said she feels she has something to prove. I think both will be just fine by the start of the season.

Surely Deshields' injury is new or an aggravation of a previous injury. I don't think she should be making an international team while injured given all the healthy, athletic bodies from which to choose. Clearly she has athleticism and a high basketball IQ, but her game wasn't present in this one.

Russell ran the floor well on one break and caught in traffic to finish a score impressively. She put the ball on the floor on another possession to take someone baseline off the dribble. That was new and encouraging. She has good hands as the announcers pointed out, but she still plays timid, does not use her lower body well to seal the defender and demand the ball. Italy played physically, but Russell permitted several strips by just not asserting herself.

This team was not Italy's best. I don't feel DeShields and Russell played with enough "hunger". McCall, Powers, and Canada played with hunger. I like for our players to show the rest of the world how to play "hungry". Without those 3 stepping up and making plays, the USA team looked destined to be upset.

DeShields is injured hopefully the ankle gets better before the WUG is over so she can do more on the court. I think the USA is going to have a tough time bringing home the gold medal. The point guard position looks really bad for this team. 33 turnovers is terrible. Mercedes looks a lot better just needs playing time.

Game had no flow....Deshields looks way off.....Not sure she should be playing these rough games with a bad ankle. Russell moved OK.

McCall, Powers, and Canada played with hunger. I like for our players to show the rest of the world how to play "hungry". Without those 3 stepping up and making plays, the USA team looked destined to be upset.

You've got to be kidding me. Canada sucked the air out of the building and had 9 TOs. She couldn't make a post entry pass to save her life, and she was out of control all game long, which ironically helped her in the end get to the FT line.

Reactions: 4 people
You've got to be kidding me. Canada sucked the air out of the building and had 9 TOs. She couldn't make a post entry pass to save her life, and she was out of control all game long, which ironically helped her in the end get to the FT line.

Yes McCall and Powers played with the "hunger" I would like to see both Diamond and Mercedes play with but with this being their first real action I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Both Powers and McCall played as late as March where as Diamond and Mercedes haven't really played in a year. Also none of the Guards could throw the entry pass and Canada was horrible. Yes Mercedes can work on her lower body/post better but at 6'6"/6'7" posting against 6'0 and 6'1" girls its hard to get as low as them. She has to be given the ball where she can be successful around the rim. I loved her faceup game and think that will help us during the season because if she can be successful at that her and Graves then become interchangeable at the hi-post!

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back