2015-2016 Tennessee Vols Softball

NeylandStadiumBum

Let's get to crackin'. Where do you guys think this team ends up end of next season? Will we take a step back or will this be the year we break through and bring home a national championship?

Last edited:
I don't expect a national championship. There are question marks at pitching and fielding plus other teams are very strong. Michigan loses 1 player I think? I don't think any of the top teams in the SEC lose more than a couple of players. Tennessee unfortunately wound up losing 4 pretty important players - 2 seniors and 2 that opted out. However, I do hope for a trip to the WCWS and a better performance than this season's 2 and out. But I have to see the pitching and fielding first.

My expectations is top four in the SEC and a trip to the World Series. If the young pitchers come along you always have a shot at the title.

Reactions: 1 person
Wasn't this year suppose to be a bad/down year? Look where we ended up at the end of the season after all. I'm pretty sure most fans on this site didn't expect our Lady Vols to do much this past season. I feel confident in saying our coaches will have them ready, and we will field a highly competitive team that is capable of beating anyone on any given night. How far will we go? I have no clue. We very well could make it to the CWS though.

Quick look at just the SEC (in no particular oder):

1. Florida loses their stud in Haegar, but still has a two very good pitchers in Ocasio and Gourley, and Tim Walton is one of the best in the business.

2. Alabama loses some decent players but all their studs are back and Murphy is on par with Walton.

3. Kentucky has one more year of Nunley, who can be a game changer, but their offense has always been their weakness

4. Auburn should be okay. Most of the offense is back, but no pitching help coming in which was their weakness last year. But last season we all saw how their offense can easily make up for their pitching woes

5. LSU should get better, both their main pitchers were only freshmen last year. Offense is mostly back. Scary team. Probably pre-season top 2-3.

6. Georgia is a bit of a mess right now, but they always recruit well. But they always seem to lose a key player to transfer each year. They do have two decent arms in Wilkenson and Grey coming back

7. Miss St was supposed to be solid last year but just fell apart. Who knows what to expect

8. Ole Miss was not very good, can't see them improving enough to threaten in just one year

9. Arkansas was a dumpster fire last year, things were so bad they had a position player starting in the circle towards the end of the year. New coach for 2016, low expectations

10. South Carolina is a wild card. Decent 2014, high expectations for 2015, and fell on their face. No clue for 2016.

11. Texas A&M struggled and looks and feels like a middle-of-the-pack team. No studs, but lots of very serviceable players who will keep them in games but won't win them on their own.

12. Missouri is like SC in that they are a wild card and no clue what to expect. Getting to Supers exceeded my expectations for them. Don't really keep up with them too much so not sure what they are losing or have coming in

With all that said, very realistic for Florida, LSU, Auburn, Tennessee and Alabama to ALL return to OKC next year and maybe a 6th SEC to join them. In the end the number of SEC teams in OKC will all come down how many of them go head-to-head in supers.

Outside of SEC, Michigan will be the team to beat. Not losing much at all and Hutch always seems to have a stud or two every recruiting class. They will play a tough non-conference schedule in early spring, but then cruise through April and early may playing a soft schedule. Last year many thought that would come back to bite them and not have them ready for post season but guess they showed otherwise.

Reactions: 2 people
...Outside of SEC, Michigan will be the team to beat. Not losing much at all and Hutch always seems to have a stud or two every recruiting class. They will play a tough non-conference schedule in early spring, but then cruise through April and early may playing a soft schedule. Last year many thought that would come back to bite them and not have them ready for post season but guess they showed otherwise.

Nice analysis. Michigan scored 4 runs in three games against Florida in the world series. (Tennessee by comparison scored 4 runs in 2 games against Florida.) Prior to the title series, Michigan was averaging almost 9 runs a game in scoring in Big 10 conference play. A weak conference could have affected them, no way to tell.

Anything can happen (injuries), but I will be mildy surprised if a healthy Michigan isn't in the title series next year.

It will be difficult for Florida to repeat. Mentally, it will be difficult for their players not to relax. Walton may play a lot of bench player's early if he feels his veteran's are coasting.

In the SEC, I hope for a top 3 finish by Tennessee. I need to see the schedule, but I'm thinking Tennessee will go to Florida for a series and Alabama will roll off the schedule. Auburn had a rather charmed season and I hope that luck disappears next season.

If Tennessee can avoid lapses in hitting and a pitcher steps up, they can compete for a top 3 finish in the SEC.

no idea how good or bad they will be this coming season,I will have to wait and see how well they do after they get some games under there belts

it will come down to how well they are pitching and hopefully there will be some major improvement defensively

but they will probably be in contention for the SEC championship and hopefully make it to the Super Regionals and we shall see from there

We lost our best hitter and our best home-run hitter. Neither was hitting well at the end of the year, but still their numbers will be hard to replace.

The pitching will have more arms to chose from...That has to help. If you are tough in the circle, you always have a chance.

The schedule is fairly difficult. Unless the SEC makes some kind of change in its three-year rotation, UT gets Alabama, Auburn, A&M and Arkansas at home, Florida, Ole Miss, Mizzou and Georgia on the road.

That breaks down to a really tough series at home and on the road (AL, @FL), a gimmie at home and on the road (AR, @OM), and 4 series, two each at home and on the road that will determine where UT finishes.

The schedule is fairly difficult. Unless the SEC makes some kind of change in its three-year rotation, UT gets Alabama, Auburn, A&M and Arkansas at home, Florida, Ole Miss, Mizzou and Georgia on the road.

That breaks down to a really tough series at home and on the road (AL, @FL), a gimmie at home and on the road (AR, @OM), and 4 series, two each at home and on the road that will determine where UT finishes.

:popcorn: It's never a picnic for TN.

Not saying you are wrong at all, just curious what you base that on? Did you get to see her pitch or the other freshmen pitchers?

I've just watched some interviews of her. Very mature young girl. Good mindset. Seems to be way underrated. Throws hard.

Fall exhibition scores; UT outscored its opponents 98-5 in 8 games:

9/26: UT 9, University of Alabama-Huntsville 0
9/26: UT 10, Tenn. Tech 2
9/27: UT 8, Chipola JC 0
9/27: UT 11, Lee University 2
10/4: UT 13, Tenn. State 0
10/4: UT 19, Shorter University 0
10/17: UT 14, Chattanooga State CC 1
10/17: UT 14, Volunteer State CC 0

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back