NCAA rule changes

Smallvol#1

MarchMatters
Can someone discuss the WBB rule changes? What is the 'front' of the court? What about shooting after 5 fouls each quarter? That's equivalent to 10/half.

Thanks! GLV!

Looks like you can now take a timeout like in the NBA and advance the ball to the offensive court no longer have to inbounds and dribble the entire court. This probably hurts the defense as you want be able to pressure the ball full court. Second teams will now play four ten minute quarters and you are allowed four fouls per quarter then the fifth foul in a quarter will be two shots. This looks like a rule that will cut down on going to the free throw line.

I like the rule where you can now place a bended forearm in the back of the offensive player in the post. I think this will help a defensive player hold their position and mkae inside shots tougher.

They have tweaked the ten second rule where as now the clock does not start over when the defense deflects a ball out of bounds. If you can do this successfully two or three times the offensive team could have five seconds or less to get the ball past half court.

Reactions: 1 person
Looks like you can now take a timeout like in the NBA and advance the ball to the offensive court no longer have to inbounds and dribble the entire court. This probably hurts the defense as you want be able to pressure the ball full court. Second teams will now play four ten minute quarters and you are allowed four fouls per quarter then the fifth foul in a quarter will be two shots. This looks like a rule that will cut down on going to the free throw line.

I like the rule where you can now place a bended forearm in the back of the offensive player in the post. I think this will help a defensive player hold their position and mkae inside shots tougher.

They have tweaked the ten second rule where as now the clock does not start over when the defense deflects a ball out of bounds. If you can do this successfully two or three times the offensive team could have five seconds or less to get the ball past half court.

Thanks for your input:yes:

So the 'front' of the court is mid court? Do you think the increased number of fouls (overall almost 50%) before shooting FTs will affect the importance of foul shooting? Of course the first ones come earlier but the second set is considerably later...need a statistician.

Yes, I like the hand check rule too. The refs were so inconsistent in calling that. Very frustrating as a fan and I hate to think what it was like for a player!

I also like not resetting the clock when the defense hits the ball out. Rewards good defense; previously sloppy ball handling/passing sometimes was effectively rewarded.

Thanks for your input:yes:

So the 'front' of the court is mid court? Do you think the increased number of fouls (overall almost 50%) before shooting FTs will affect the importance of foul shooting? Of course the first ones come earlier but the second set is considerably later...need a statistician.

Yes, I like the hand check rule too. The refs were so inconsistent in calling that. Very frustrating as a fan and I hate to think what it was like for a player!

I also like not resetting the clock when the defense hits the ball out. Rewards good defense; previously sloppy ball handling/passing sometimes was effectively rewarded.

Since it starts over every quarter should be less foul shots. When you got to six fouls in the 20 minute half you shot for the rest of the half. Now if you commit four in 10 minutes no shots and it starts over next quarter back to 0 so you can commit four again before anyone shoots. You now have 8 fouls to give in a half when before you had six and now every foul after the fifth in the quarter will be two shots don't have to get to ten to get two shots. Guess the one and one is gone forever.

Since it starts over every quarter should be less foul shots. When you got to six fouls in the 20 minute half you shot for the rest of the half. Now if you commit four in 10 minutes no shots and it starts over next quarter back to 0 so you can commit four again before anyone shoots. You now have 8 fouls to give in a half when before you had six and now every foul after the fifth in the quarter will be two shots don't have to get to ten to get two shots. Guess the one and one is gone forever.

Is this one of those counter-intuitive rules designed to do the opposite of what it seems like it will do?

Old rule: Shoot a 1 and 1 upon the 7th foul
New rule: Shoot 2 upon the 5th foul

Old rule: Resets after 20 minutes (half time)
New rule: Resets after 10 minutes (quarter)

It seems like foul shots will come quicker but be less of them total. I'm not sure how this will play out.

To Smallvol: The front court is the half of the court that includes your offensive goal.

Is this one of those counter-intuitive rules designed to do the opposite of what it seems like it will do?

Old rule: Shoot a 1 and 1 upon the 7th foul
New rule: Shoot 2 upon the 5th foul

Old rule: Resets after 20 minutes (half time)
New rule: Resets after 10 minutes (quarter)

It seems like foul shots will come quicker but be less of them total. I'm not sure how this will play out.

To Smallvol: The front court is the half of the court that includes your offensive goal.

Thanks, LVJeff. So foul shooting importance seems to decrease. Shoot sooner but overall shoot less. And no one and one is really different. No pressure to make the first shot to be rewarded with a second. Seems to change a whole dynamic of the game.

So the inbounds will be from the offensive side of midcourt.

Will be interesting to see how all this plays out:)

Another thing that this rule of advancing the ball is going to do is give teams an opportunity to win games more easily on a last shot attempt. I think we'll see game where teams put up a shot with three or four seconds left that is missed and rebounded and a time out called. Then that team will advance the ball and have a shot with say couple seconds left. It makes for some interesting finishes.

so you get reward on the court for taking a time out ? I don't much care for that

I'm not sure they need 4 quarters and it will be 16 free fouls to use,so cheap shots will be on the up swing,it was limited before and are the numbers the same on fouling out ?

I do like the hand checking rule change,there's nothing wrong with a hand check as long as your not pushing the player out of the way

thanks for the info volfan :hi:

Last edited:
I don't like a lot of time outs at the end either. Anything that stops the action I don't usually like. If this rule causes extra time outs then thumbs down.

It's 16 free fouls, not 12, right? 4 free ones in four quarters?

so you get reward on the court for taking a time out ? I don't much care for that

I'm not sure they need 4 quarters and it will be 16 free fouls to use,so cheap shots will be on the up swing,it was limited before and are the numbers the same on fouling out ?

I do like the hand checking rule change,there's nothing wrong with a hand check as long as your not pushing the player out of the way

thanks for the info volfan :hi:

Women's basketball will look a lot like the NBA only 8 minutes shorter. The game will be very similar as most of the rule changes are already in the NBA looks like women's basketball copied them.

I don't watch the NBA

I hate it when the NCAA messes with a successful sport ,probably nothing good will come of it :)

so now they will save there timeouts till the 4th quarter,so they can just call a time out and advance half way down the court in tight games

Reactions: 1 person
I don't watch the NBA

I hate it when the NCAA messes with a successful sport ,probably nothing good will come of it :)

so now they will save there timeouts till the 4th quarter,so they can just call a time out and advance half way down the court in tight games

We'll like it if Tennessee gets the rebound with two seconds left and then throws it in to Diamond for the winning shot against South Carolina. We'll hate it if it happens to us the other way.

Reactions: 2 people

I like the one and one, it adds some additional excitement and importance to that first FT. I don't think we beat Gonzaga last year without the one and one. They missed a couple front ends at the end of the game that were huge.

Reactions: 3 people
The coach in this article has nothing but good things to say.

https://www.indianagazette.com/news...game-switches-to-fourquarter-format,22198771/

Some highlights:

Media timeouts will occur at the first deadball situation after the five-minute mark of each quarter instead of coming at the 16-, 12-, 8- and 4-minute marks. I don't know if this means the total number of media timeouts is cut in half. It doesn't say.

This guy also says there will be less fouling. I'm not sure of that but I guess they know what they are doing.

He also says he loves the rule allowing the ball to be advanced to half court.

The coach in this article has nothing but good things to say.

https://www.indianagazette.com/news...game-switches-to-fourquarter-format,22198771/

Some highlights:

Media timeouts will occur at the first deadball situation after the five-minute mark of each quarter instead of coming at the 16-, 12-, 8- and 4-minute marks. I don't know if this means the total number of media timeouts is cut in half. It doesn't say.

This guy also says there will be less fouling. I'm not sure of that but I guess they know what they are doing.

He also says he loves the rule allowing the ball to be advanced to half court.

it is Tom McConnell and Geno shooting his mouth off,why the NCAA worries about running the score up higher and making it harder on the defenses baffles me

it should increase media time outs,it will add a couple of built in time outs at the end of the quarters

I like all the changes. I think the 20 minute halves were becoming free throw shooting contest in some games. Now that you don't get to shoot until the fifth foul of each quarter doubt you'll see much going to the line in several games. Getting in the penalty means two shots no more one and one. I like advancing the ball gives a team one point behind a chance to win on a last second shot with less than three seconds remaining. I really like the fact that if you knock the ball out of bounds the ten second half court does not reset. I saw several games where Carter would knock two or three balls out which would have cut that time to get over the line to around five seconds. That increases the chance for a turnover.

Holly's latest interview added another perspective - allowing music and show business during the timeouts - she called it a more entertaining atmosphere. I have a problem with baseball now in that it is more circus than baseball. The average fan has a short attention span i guess. She also stated that the limited number of timeouts would require better planning of substitutions and that breaking a game into four minute segments would no longer apply. (BTW) three worthwhile interviews to watch

]I don't watch the NBA

I hate it when the NCAA messes with a successful sport ,probably nothing good will come of it :)[/B]

You're a rare breed who thinks the NBA isn't successful and that the women's game is. This will make the women's game far more open to people who prefer any other kind of basketball.

Holly's latest interview added another perspective - allowing music and show business during the timeouts - she called it a more entertaining atmosphere. I have a problem with baseball now in that it is more circus than baseball. The average fan has a short attention span i guess. She also stated that the limited number of timeouts would require better planning of substitutions and that breaking a game into four minute segments would no longer apply. (BTW) three worthwhile interviews to watch
Where were the interviews?

VN Store

Back