Tennessee Lady Vols Rotation 2015

Volfan2012

I expect about 9 players will get most of the playing time after the pre-season schedule and we move into SEC play. Watch Jackson she does a little bit of everything to help a team and could move ahead of a couple players if she is ready for SEC play. Coaches have a lot of decisions to make about who will be on the court this season. So if you were coach how would you divide up the minutes. Here is my rotation for 2015

PG-Reynolds, Cooper.

Reynolds will be the starter pre-season I suspect whether she can hold the job remains to be seen. We need a player of Cooper's ability on the floor a lot. Reynolds also brings a lot to the team. We could play them both sometime with Reynolds backing up the two.
I think we'll see them split point guard time about 20/20 in the beginning.

SG-Carter will play because of her defense then there is Deshields who might play the three position to get Carter in the lineup. Al lot will be determined by how much Nared and Jones have improved. I expect one or both to move inside to the four position as Graves is the more likely choice to back up the five than Moore is unless she has bulked up a little and becomes more consistent in her play.

Here is how I see the rotation and minutes played. Hopefully several of you have your own idea and will post it in this thread.

PG- Reynolds 20 minutes, Cooper 20 minutes
SG-Carter 27 minutes Middleton 8 Jackson 5
C-Russell 25 minutes Graves 15
WF-Deshields 31 Nared 9
PF-Graves 11 Jones 19 Nared 10

Rotation Reynolds, Carter, Russell, Deshields, Graves, Cooper, Jones, Nared, Middleton, Jackson. This is the first season I can remember in a while when we can bring in players with very little drop off in ability.

Right now don't see any minutes for Dunbar or Moore once SEC play begins.

I expect this rotation to be totally wrong but something to do and talk about here in June.

Reactions: 2 people
I expect about 9 players will get most of the playing time after the pre-season schedule and we move into SEC play. Watch Jackson she does a little bit of everything to help a team and could move ahead of a couple players if she is ready for SEC play. Coaches have a lot of decisions to make about who will be on the court this season. So if you were coach how would you divide up the minutes. Here is my rotation for 2015

PG-Reynolds, Cooper.

Reynolds will be the starter pre-season I suspect whether she can hold the job remains to be seen. We need a player of Cooper's ability on the floor a lot. Reynolds also brings a lot to the team. We could play them both sometime with Reynolds backing up the two.

SG-Carter will play because of her defense then there is Deshields who might play the three position to get Carter in the lineup. Al lot will be determined by how much Nared and Jones have improved. I expect one or both to move inside to the four position as Graves is the more likely choice to back up the five than Moore is unless she has bulked up a little and becomes more consistent in her play.

Here is how I see the rotation and minutes played. Hopefully several of you have your own idea and will post it in this thread.

WF-Deshields 31 Nared 9

Rotation Reynolds, Carter, Russell, Deshields, Graves, Cooper, Jones, Nared, Middleton, Jackson. This is the first season I can remember in a while when we can bring in players with very little drop off in ability.

I expect this rotation to be totally wrong but something to do and talk about here in June.

That's probably a pretty good spread. You don't see Moore or Dunbar getting any minutes? I could see Nared getting more and maybe Graves getting less or DeShields or Jones getting a few less. I think Nared is going to be a great player.

Nia will get minutes. Mercedes and Bash can't play 40 minutes every game. Others than USC & Kentucky, there isn't a team in the SEC that Nia couldn't play against.

I think you will be surprised to see how a summer with the team has helped Kortney.

Reactions: 4 people
I think you make good points. So far, with Holly in the head coach role, I've picked up on these things that seem to be most important to her:
1. Defense
2. Rebounding
3. Turnovers
4. Fouls

For Freshman coming in, these are the hardest to understand and grasp, because in high school it's all about offense and dribbling. If our freshman can do these three things, they will get playing time.
Cooper is going to be a game changer on offense, but I think she will have trouble with #3 in the college game starting out. Time will tell, but I see Reynolds getting the nod on this one. The only thing that I think would change it would be if Cooper can step in as a freshman and stop dribble penetration. (lsu ballard comes to mind). Or Reynolds just refuses to box out.

What I think will help us out that nobody has touched on is the two freshman coming in have HUGE reputations of being very disciplined, hard workers when it comes to practice. I'm not saying our practices are bad or anything, but when you add that to the mix, it can spread and bring great energy. I've read this past season on here, our team seemed to be missing that "dominant" Tennessee attitude, or that 'Tennessee Swagger' that our great teams always brought to the court. I think that attitude starts in practice, and I hope this core group finds it this summer/fall. :)

Reactions: 6 people
I think you make good points. So far, with Holly in the head coach role, I've picked up on these things that seem to be most important to her:
1. Defense
2. Rebounding
3. Turnovers
4. Fouls

For Freshman coming in, these are the hardest to understand and grasp, because in high school it's all about offense and dribbling. If our freshman can do these three things, they will get playing time.
Cooper is going to be a game changer on offense, but I think she will have trouble with #3 in the college game starting out. Time will tell, but I see Reynolds getting the nod on this one. The only thing that I think would change it would be if Cooper can step in as a freshman and stop dribble penetration. (lsu ballard comes to mind). Or Reynolds just refuses to box out.

What I think will help us out that nobody has touched on is the two freshman coming in have HUGE reputations of being very disciplined, hard workers when it comes to practice. I'm not saying our practices are bad or anything, but when you add that to the mix, it can spread and bring great energy. I've read this past season on here, our team seemed to be missing that "dominant" Tennessee attitude, or that 'Tennessee Swagger' that our great teams always brought to the court. I think that attitude starts in practice, and I hope this core group finds it this summer/fall. :)

I really think Cooper, DeShields and Jackson will bring back that Tennessee swagger and attitude. Don't overlook Nared either, her facial expressions are limited, but she plays with attitude and mental toughness. See the game @ UK for an example.

Good points guys.....Te'a will be hard to keep on the bench......She has played with Diamond for many hours and Diamond will want her on the court.....She will have to learn not to turn the ball over too much though.....Sometimes she does make the fancy pass a little to often....

Reynolds is a serviceable player, but greatness does not come with her game. Her outside shot has got to be more consistent.

Carter good defender, but the offensive end of the court is almost a stranger to her....She does not push the action and appears to be content to give the ball to someone else to shoot way to often...However, I'm hoping that has changed this year. She is a favorite of mine..

The freshmen last season were a disappointment...Alexa dribbled into trouble regularly, and was a mess way to often..She is slow, maybe to slow at this level...

Dunbar had no defensive game....None.

Nared was very inconsistent.....Perhaps she will be a the star in her sophomore.
season...She does have the most promise of the former freshmen trio.

The very presence of Russell in the paint will give this squad some panache they did not have last season.....She will be a difference maker down low.

Diamond will be all that we hope she will be, so no worries there.

Reactions: 3 people
That's probably a pretty good spread. You don't see Moore or Dunbar getting any minutes? I could see Nared getting more and maybe Graves getting less or DeShields or Jones getting a few less. I think Nared is going to be a great player.

After they cut the rotation for SEC play no I don't see either of them playing much and if they do someone else want play. You don't want to play more than nine in a rotation. I expect to see everybody in several of the non-conference games and of course if there are any SEC blowouts we will see everyone.

The close games against SC, Ky, Stanford, ND etc look for 8 or 9 players to play all the minutes.

PG-Reynolds, Cooper.

WF-Deshields 31 Nared 9

You will see more of Moore and none of Dunbar and Middleton..

I really think Cooper, DeShields and Jackson will bring back that Tennessee swagger and attitude. Don't overlook Nared either, her facial expressions are limited, but she plays with attitude and mental toughness. See the game @ UK for an example.

This should be a great recruiting class after last year's failure.

You will see more of Moore and none of Dunbar and Middleton..

Even without Dunbar and Middleton one wonders how much Moore will play. I believe the perimeter will be dominated by Deshields, Carter, Cooper, Reynolds, and either Middleton or Jackson. I can't see either of the first four getting less than 20 minutes and suspect Deshields will be around 30 or more and Carter will be close to that.
If that happens then you will want Jones and Nared on the floor quite a bit as well so I can see both or at least one playing a lot of four next season.

Even without Dunbar and Middleton one wonders how much Moore will play. I believe the perimeter will be dominated by Deshields, Carter, Cooper, Reynolds, and either Middleton or Jackson. I can't see either of the first four getting less than 20 minutes and suspect Deshields will be around 30 or more and Carter will be close to that.
If that happens then you will want Jones and Nared on the floor quite a bit as well so I can see both or at least one playing a lot of four next season.

There will be a couple who go down with injuries-seems it always happens.

Reactions: 1 person
This should be a great recruiting class after last year's failure.

With Tea Cooper in the class there is no way it could ever be described as a failure but the misses on the post players were disappointing.

Tea Cooper was one of the top 5 players on the floor at the McDonald's game. Two others who looked really good were Samuelson and that Notre Dame player-can't remember her name. Asia Durr looked good too but I thought Cooper looked better.

This want be the starting lineup, but I think the best defensive team we can put on the floor is Deshields, Carter, Cooper, Russell, and Jones.

--I find it inexplicable that Warlick & Co. did not sign a center last year--major screwup, particularly because we don't seem to be a lock to land any of the top centers this year. If we were, then perhaps one could understand not getting a big with this year's incoming class. The Vols don't really have a backup center--Moore is more a 4, and Graves is a 4. When Russell is resting, I would hope that the coaches don't just slot Graves into the 5 position. It's not her position, she's not tall enough for it--we saw that in the NCAA tournament when she struggled offensively against taller defenders insider. It will be interesting to see what the coaches do do--bit of a problem. They could play Moore exclusively as Russell's backup--but that would mean pretty significant minutes for her, maybe more than 10 a game because I agree with the OP: I see Russell playing about 25 minutes a game depending on the opponent. You certainly don't want to player her too much during the first half of the season. We might see a lot of three-guard, 2 forward lineups this season.

The coaches need to use the first part of the season to find lineups that work, and then establish a rotation and try to stick with it. Chemistry is huge; players like to have a role and be comfortable in it.

Jones should be playing the 4 this season, IMO, spelling Graves as needed. Warlick tried to make her a small foward (3) last year and she does not have the skills for that position. Given our issues backing up Russell, we need her inside. Were I Warlick, I'd be relentlessly drilling Graves and Jones on getting off shots quickly, and scoring, from 6 to 12-14 feet from the basket--less dribbling, more turning and shooting, more explosive. They are both too slow and deliberate when they get the ball.

Dunbar and Middleton both will need to show they can shoot consistently. They'll play when we have comfortable leads, but hard to see how they will play much in tight games. We may need Dunbar to make 3s--who else is going to do it?

For all of Warlick's blathering about defense, the fact is that we've lost two chances to go to the final four in three years because our offense couldn't cope with the pressure of a big game--the players folded on the offensive end of the court. That will have to change this year--and we won't really know if it has until we see them in the NCAA.

Swagger doesn't come from practice: it comes from having hard-nosed players who aren't afraid in big moments, who perform in big moments, and it comes from winning big games. When we start doing that, we'll have our swagger again--but not before.

--I find it inexplicable that Warlick & Co. did not sign a center last year--major screwup, particularly because we don't seem to be a lock to land any of the top centers this year. If we were, then perhaps one could understand not getting a big with this year's incoming class. The Vols don't really have a backup center--Moore is more a 4, and Graves is a 4. When Russell is resting, I would hope that the coaches don't just slot Graves into the 5 position. It's not her position, she's not tall enough for it--we saw that in the NCAA tournament when she struggled offensively against taller defenders insider. It will be interesting to see what the coaches do do--bit of a problem. They could play Moore exclusively as Russell's backup--but that would mean pretty significant minutes for her, maybe more than 10 a game because I agree with the OP: I see Russell playing about 25 minutes a game depending on the opponent. You certainly don't want to player her too much during the first half of the season. We might see a lot of three-guard, 2 forward lineups this season.

The coaches need to use the first part of the season to find lineups that work, and then establish a rotation and try to stick with it. Chemistry is huge; players like to have a role and be comfortable in it.

Jones should be playing the 4 this season, IMO, spelling Graves as needed. Warlick tried to make her a small foward (3) last year and she does not have the skills for that position. Given our issues backing up Russell, we need her inside. Were I Warlick, I'd be relentlessly drilling Graves and Jones on getting off shots quickly, and scoring, from 6 to 12-14 feet from the basket--less dribbling, more turning and shooting, more explosive. They are both too slow and deliberate when they get the ball.

Dunbar and Middleton both will need to show they can shoot consistently. They'll play when we have comfortable leads, but hard to see how they will play much in tight games. We may need Dunbar to make 3s--who else is going to do it?

For all of Warlick's blathering about defense, the fact is that we've lost two chances to go to the final four in three years because our offense couldn't cope with the pressure of a big game--the players folded on the offensive end of the court. That will have to change this year--and we won't really know if it has until we see them in the NCAA.

Swagger doesn't come from practice: it comes from having hard-nosed players who aren't afraid in big moments, who perform in big moments, and it comes from winning big games. When we start doing that, we'll have our swagger again--but not before.

I disagree about Graves. She plays the 5 better.

I do expect Dunbar and Middleton to be much improved this year,they both know what they need to work on during the off season and if they want playing time,they will have to show some significant improvements

I thought that Moore was making improvements in her game late in the year and hopefully she will continue to do so

having both Russell and Jones back healthy is a big plus for the team,especially Russell,I for one am looking forward to seeing her playing full bore and healthy,if Jones can improve her offense she will be another one to watch

and armchair is right,quit ***** footing around with a dribble and get the shot off for Graves and Jones

I'm sure the incoming players will be fine,but they need playing time at this level of basketball,before we can determine how good they can be,time will tell on that

i personally don't put a whole lot of stock in freshmen,I want to see them in game situations and see how they have adjusted to this level of play first and then decide who will be starting and such,as we all know,players learn at different speeds and it is hard to tell who is going to be the one to dive in and be excellent and who needs some time to get adjusted to the game,so I do expect to see a bunch of different lineups from CHW,probably thru the first half of the season,while narrowing it down

I do believe that CHW puts a lot of emphasis on practice and that is how they earn playing time,which it should be,or so i think :) for what that is worth,hopefully the team will take in the new players and help them thru there learning curve as to what CHW and staff demand,to make this an exceptional team ,which I do think is exactly what will happen

I do have to say,that I am looking forward to this years Lady Vols team and see how they gel and what and who are making the big strides for the University of Tennessee

Last edited:
I do expect Dunbar and Middleton to be much improved this year,they both know what they need to work on during the off season and if they want playing time,they will have to show some significant improvements

I thought that Moore was making improvements in her game late in the year and hopefully she will continue to do so

having both Russell and Jones back healthy is a big plus for the team,especially Russell,I for one am looking forward to seeing her playing full bore and healthy,if Jones can improve her offense she will be another one to watch

and armchair is right,quit ***** footing around with a dribble and get the shot off for Graves and Jones

I'm sure the incoming players will be fine,but they need playing time at this level of basketball,before we can determine how good they can be,time will tell on that

i personally don't put a whole lot of stock in freshmen,I want to see them in game situations and see how they have adjusted to this level of play first and then decide who will be starting and such,as we all know,players learn at different speeds and it is hard to tell who is going to be the one to dive in and be excellent and who needs some time to get adjusted to the game,so I do expect to see a bunch of different lineups from CHW,probably thru the first half of the season,while narrowing it down

I do believe that CHW puts a lot of emphasis on practice and that is how they earn playing time,which it should be,or so i think :) for what that is worth,hopefully the team will take in the new players and help them thru there learning curve as to what CHW and staff demand,to make this an exceptional team ,which I do think is exactly what will happen

I do have to say,that I am looking forward to this years Lady Vols team and see how they gel and what and who are making the big strides for the University of Tennessee

With the Transfer of Tucker Freeing up a scholarship and us being in a need a back up 5 to spell Russell, I would love for Holly to bring in Nathanelle Dambo, she is a 3 star recruit out of California who has yet to sign and will probably take the Juco route (we signed a 3 star recruit in Moore based on her ties with Jolette Law). She is someone who has loads of potential and could be a great piece (Wider frame than Moore and is 6'3"/6'4" according to many reports) She has a great faceup game and boxes out well and also goes and gets the rebound also. The only footage I have seen of her is from her Sophomore Year in High School (2013) We could offer her the chance to prove she belongs by offering a partial scholarship or contacting her and having her walk on/try out to see if she could play at this level. I will attach links on her below:

Nathanelle Dambo 2015 High School Girls' Basketball Profile - ESPN

Meet 8 Unsigned Seniors Who Could Turn Into Big College Stars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4N89lu5pTE

As far as the rotation goes I think you start Jordan at the Point but she see's most of her time at the 2 because Cooper should play alot of the minutes at the 1 especially in a lineup with Carter, Deshield, and Jasmine (Alot of Speed). Realistically size wise my only concern is USC (White, Coates, Wilson, and the transfer from UVA thats 6'3") and Uconn (They add the 6'5 transfer from Georgetown to go with the 6'4 Stewart, the 6'2" Tuck and the 6'3 addition of Sameulson, and the 6'2" Boykin). I truly feel that is our only competiton for the title this season (or shall I say the teams that scare me a little) not concerned with anyone else)

If I am Holly here is who I start along with my rotations in the game

Starters

PG-Reynolds SG-Carter SF-DeShields PF-Graves C-Russell

First Subs
PG-Cooper SG-DeShields SF-Nared PF-Jones C-Graves

Second Subs
PG-Cooper SG-Carter SF-Jackson PF-Jones C-Russell

Imo Russell needs to be out there as long as she can and there should never be a time when both her and Diamond are on the bench at the same time unless they are in foul trouble. Teams will look to double team the two of them and they are also our scorers/players other teams fear and will hate to see get going because once they do they will be hard to stop.

I also think Middleton, Dunbar, and Moore should really see action when there are blow out or if the situation calls for what they do best. Middleton and Dunbar are our shooters (3pt) and should be told that their role is to shoot 3s and play defense. We need players who can hit the 3 because that will stop the double teams that Graves, Russell, and Diamond will face. If everyone is told what their role is and what they can do to help us get out 9 title I think it will make things a lot easier.

I found this video of Nathanelle Dambo

it is from 2013

why is she considering JUCO ? isn't that usually bad grades ?

I think she is number 19 in this

The 3rd Annual Hooper's Classic HS Girl's All-Star Basketball Showcase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e8i3egUJbo

I just turned it on

lol i had to fast forward a long way to get to some basket ball and I have no idea who she is playing against :)

I quit watching that video,it looked like a rec league game :)

Last edited:
With the Transfer of Tucker Freeing up a scholarship and us being in a need a back up 5 to spell Russell, I would love for Holly to bring in Nathanelle Dambo, she is a 3 star recruit out of California who has yet to sign and will probably take the Juco route (we signed a 3 star recruit in Moore based on her ties with Jolette Law). She is someone who has loads of potential and could be a great piece (Wider frame than Moore and is 6'3"/6'4" according to many reports) She has a great faceup game and boxes out well and also goes and gets the rebound also. The only footage I have seen of her is from her Sophomore Year in High School (2013) We could offer her the chance to prove she belongs by offering a partial scholarship or contacting her and having her walk on/try out to see if she could play at this level. I will attach links on her below:

Nathanelle Dambo 2015 High School Girls' Basketball Profile - ESPN

Meet 8 Unsigned Seniors Who Could Turn Into Big College Stars

As far as the rotation goes I think you start Jordan at the Point but she see's most of her time at the 2 because Cooper should play alot of the minutes at the 1 especially in a lineup with Carter, Deshield, and Jasmine (Alot of Speed). Realistically size wise my only concern is USC (White, Coates, Wilson, and the transfer from UVA thats 6'3") and Uconn (They add the 6'5 transfer from Georgetown to go with the 6'4 Stewart, the 6'2" Tuck and the 6'3 addition of Sameulson, and the 6'2" Boykin). I truly feel that is our only competiton for the title this season (or shall I say the teams that scare me a little) not concerned with anyone else)

If I am Holly here is who I start along with my rotations in the game

Starters

PG-Reynolds SG-Carter SF-DeShields PF-Graves C-Russell

First Subs
PG-Cooper SG-DeShields SF-Nared PF-Jones C-Graves

Second Subs
PG-Cooper SG-Carter SF-Jackson PF-Jones C-Russell

Imo Russell needs to be out there as long as she can and there should never be a time when both her and Diamond are on the bench at the same time unless they are in foul trouble. Teams will look to double team the two of them and they are also our scorers/players other teams fear and will hate to see get going because once they do they will be hard to stop.

I also think Middleton, Dunbar, and Moore should really see action when there are blow out or if the situation calls for what they do best. Middleton and Dunbar are our shooters (3pt) and should be told that their role is to shoot 3s and play defense. We need players who can hit the 3 because that will stop the double teams that Graves, Russell, and Diamond will face. If everyone is told what their role is and what they can do to help us get out 9 title I think it will make things a lot easier.

I figure she doesn't have the grades to qualify because she certainly looks like a player that several schools would be interested in.

I find it difficult to believe that Jackson is going to take much playing time away from Middleton or Dunbar, who've now had a year learning the system and working with the training staff, regardless of how much talent Jackson may possess. And ditto for Cooper, although to a lesser degree.

Regarding Dambo. After asking about her on rebkell, a knowledgeable poster has said she verballed to Michigan State a few weeks ago.

Jim

VN Store

Back