Lady Vols in 2015 World Cup

MAD

Arsenal FC, Detroit Lions
I will be pulling for Team USA but hope these three former Lady Vols do well.

Tennessee senior Hannah Wilkinson and alumnae Rhian Wilkinson and Marie-Ève Nault will star on soccer's grandest stage - the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup in Canada, running from June 6 to July 5.

Hannah Wilkinson was named to New Zealand's roster last month. In April, Tennessee alums Rhian Wilkinson and Nault were named to Canada's roster. Both New Zealand and Canada are in Group A with China and the Netherlands.

In the last FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking for women's soccer on March 27, Canada ranked No. 8 in the world and New Zealand ranked No. 17. Both teams played in the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup in Germany when the field featured 16 teams (this year the field has 24) but neither reached the quarterfinals (final eight). Both teams also qualified for the 2012 London Olympics and Rhian Wilkinson and Nault earned bronze medals with Canada.

All three Tennessee players will be at the same site on Saturday when the World Cup opens at Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton, Alberta. Canada opens play against China on Saturday, June 6, at 6 p.m. ET on FOX Sports 1. New Zealand takes on the Netherlands right after at 9 p.m. ET on FOX Sports 2.

Here is a listing of Canada's and New Zealand's matches in the 2015 Women's World Cup:
June 6: Canada vs. China - 6 p.m. ET - Edmonton - FOX Sports 1
June 6: New Zealand vs. Netherlands - 9 p.m. ET - Edmonton - FOX Sports 2
June 11: Canada vs. New Zealand - 9 p.m. ET - Edmonton - FOX Sports 1
June 15: Netherlands vs. Canada - 7:30 p.m. ET - Montreal - FOX Sports 1
June 15: China vs. New Zealand - 7:30 p.m. ET - Winnipeg - FOX Sports 2
June 20-23: Round of 16 - Ottawa, Edmonton, Moncton, Montreal, Vancouver - FOX Sports 1
June 26-27: Quarterfinals - Ottawa, Edmonton, Moncton, Montreal, Vancouver - FOX, FOX Sports 1
June 30-July 1: Semifinals - Montreal, Edmonton - FOX, FOX Sports 1
July 4: Third Place Match - 4 p.m. ET - Edmonton - FOX
July 5: Final - Vancouver - 7 p.m. ET - FOX

Hannah Wilkinson has made 69 caps and scored 22 goals for the Football Ferns. The Whangarei native is also one of 15 players who featured at the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup in Germany, where she made a big splash, scoring an equalizer off the bench against Mexico on July 5, 2011, to give New Zealand a tie and its first-ever point in World Cup competition. Wilkinson made her international debut in 2010. She has played for New Zealand in several international matches, including the 2010 FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup, the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup, the 2012 London Olympics, the 2012 FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup and international friendlies against the United States. In her three seasons at Tennessee, she has totaled 22 goals and nine assists over 49 matches and in 2012 she earned NSCAA All-America and First Team All-SEC honors. Wilkinson was ranked the No. 60 overall player in the 2014 TopDrawerSoccer.com Postseason Women's National Top 100.

Rhian Wilkinson has made 163 appearances and 136 starts for Canada since making her debut on the national team at age 20. The fullback from Pointe-Claire, Quebec, has seven career goals and helped Canada win gold in the 2010 CONCACAF championship and bronze in the 2012 London Olympics. In 2014, she was appointed as a member of the FIFA Strategic Committee, which oversees global strategies for soccer and its political, economic and social status. Wilkinson, who currently plays for the Portland Thorns FC in the NWSL, became just the third Canadian women's soccer player to make 150 caps for her country on March 10, 2014. Wilkinson's 32 career assists in her Tennessee career (2000-03) stand as the program's all-time record. She also ranks second in points (88) and is tied for third in career goals (28).

Nault has made 67 appearances and 47 starts for Canada since making her debut in 2004 at the age of 21. The fullback from Trois-Rivières, Quebec, helped lead Canada to a gold medal in the 2010 CONCACAF championship and the bronze medal in the 2012 London Olympics. Nault and teammate Desiree Scott were the 27th and 28th women's footballers to make their 50th appearance for Canada on July 30, 2012. She most recently played professionally for KIF Örebro in the Swedish Damallsvenskan, making 41 appearances from 2013-14. Nault has also played professionally for the Ottawa Fury (2003, 2006-07, 2010), Montreal Xtreme (2004), Saint-Étienne (2005), FC Indiana (2008) and the Chicago Red Eleven (2009). Nault starred at Tennessee from 2000-03 and was a fixture on the vaunted back line of Tennessee's 2002 NCAA Sweet 16 and SEC Tournament Champion squad, playing in all 25 matches.

Reactions: 7 people
I thought Wilkinson got fouled in the box late in yesterday's game against The Netherlands: no call and they lost. Tough. On the other hand, Canada got a debatable penalty call in stoppage time and scored to beat China 1-0.

Reactions: 1 person
I thought Wilkinson got fouled in the box late in yesterday's game against The Netherlands: no call and they lost. Tough. On the other hand, Canada got a debatable penalty call in stoppage time and scored to beat China 1-0.

I agree with you on the Wilkinson call. The one in the first game was debatable but sure contributed to an exciting finish.

Probably a dumb question, but can someone explain to me what the hell a cap is?

Evidently Australia not happy with the US after losing.

"Deadspin was the first to hit back with a story criticising Australia's interpretation of their balance of play. "It is also the sourest of Shiraz. The US women won, and eventually won handily. This is exactly the sort of avoidance of personal responsibility I would expect from a nation of convicts," the article said."

Women's World Cup: American media fires up over FFA interpretation of Matildas' loss to USA

Reactions: 2 people
Evidently Australia not happy with the US after losing.

"Deadspin was the first to hit back with a story criticising Australia's interpretation of their balance of play. "It is also the sourest of Shiraz. The US women won, and eventually won handily. This is exactly the sort of avoidance of personal responsibility I would expect from a nation of convicts," the article said."

Women's World Cup: American media fires up over FFA interpretation of Matildas' loss to USA
This cracked me up, maybe it's a cultural difference or something.

Tonight
Fox Sports 1
Mon, Jun 22 8:00pm EST
2015 FIFA Women's World Cup Round of 16:
United States vs. Colombia

U.S. played well against Germany--we are talented--but also lucky on both penalties. Lucky that Johnston wasn't given a red card--and then the German missed the kick--and then lucky that we got that penalty call, which might have been outside the box. But the German player on that penalty might have been given a red as well--a very cynical foul.

RE the Tennessee soccer team: I hope new Nike unis means that they will retire those awful shirts with the horizontal orange stripes. Please get rid of them--they are ugly!

USA over Germany 2-0. USA advances to Sunday final against England / Japan.

This felt like the Finals beating #1 Germany, hope there isn't a let down Sunday and they play just as well.

U.S. played well against Germany--we are talented--but also lucky on both penalties. Lucky that Johnston wasn't given a red card--and then the German missed the kick--and then lucky that we got that penalty call, which might have been outside the box. But the German player on that penalty might have been given a red as well--a very cynical foul.

RE the Tennessee soccer team: I hope new Nike unis means that they will retire those awful shirts with the horizontal orange stripes. Please get rid of them--they are ugly!
I hope they get rid of those stripes too.

u.s. Played well against germany--we are talented--but also lucky on both penalties. Lucky that johnston wasn't given a red card--and then the german missed the kick--and then lucky that we got that penalty call, which might have been outside the box. But the german player on that penalty might have been given a red as well--a very cynical foul.

Re the tennessee soccer team: I hope new nike unis means that they will retire those awful shirts with the horizontal orange stripes. Please get rid of them--they are ugly!
View attachment 95616
View attachment 95617

Great Women's World Cup--some excellent games, culminating in our destruction of Japan in the championship game after choking away the World Cup title to Japan four years ago, a game we easily should have won. This was a great U.S. team.

Excited to see UT's soccer team this year--we are on an upswing, for sure.

Last edited:
Third Women’s World Cup in seven tries and four Olympic gold medals in five tries for US women's soccer teams. Pretty good I'd say.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back