Tennessee Lady Vols Updated Roster.

Cooper was rated number one player by D-1 sports. Number three by another service and four by another. Her worst rating was 19. Deshields was a top three player in every service. Russell was top three in every service as well. The lowest rated player on the team would be Moore who was a three star player. Dunbar was a top 100 player her senior year. We only have one player on the roster that was not a top 100 player. We only have two that we not top 50.

According to the ratings the best team we could put on the floor would be:

PG-Cooper
SG-Deshields
WF-Nared
C-Russell
PF-Graves

Reactions: 3 people
only 2 seniors returning,that will be Nia Moore and Bashaara Graves

you don't think that either Jones,Reynolds or Carter will start ?

I do wish they would carry several more players,just in case of injuries and to give the starters more of a rest,when the games are well in hand,but that is just my opinion,evidently CPS or CHW don't agree with me :)

only 2 seniors returning,that will be Nia Moore and Bashaara Graves

you don't think that either Jones,Reynolds or Carter will start ?

I do wish they would carry several more players,just in case of injuries and to give the starters more of a rest,when the games are well in hand,but that is just my opinion,evidently CPS or CHW don't agree with me :)

I actually think both Reynolds and Carter may start and also Jones. I just listed the five highest rated players coming out of High School on the roster. Carter was in the 20's in her class. Reynolds was 42 and Jones was something like 28. I think all three could be starters or any of the ones I listed. I think two certain starters are Russell and DeShields. Graves probably is also but last year Holly used her some off the bench as a sixth man. She may want to do that again this year.

I really like our team.

Reactions: 2 people
I actually think both Reynolds and Carter may start and also Jones. I just listed the five highest rated players coming out of High School on the roster. Carter was in the 20's in her class. Reynolds was 42 and Jones was something like 28. I think all three could be starters or any of the ones I listed. I think two certain starters are Russell and DeShields. Graves probably is also but last year Holly used her some off the bench as a sixth man. She may want to do that again this year.

I'm not a basketball coach and, unlike some fans, I don't think I know more than the coaches. In fact, I KNOW I don't know more than the coaches. However, for what it's worth, I do think the coaches need to settle on a starting team early on, allow that team to gel really, really well, and then stick with that team in terms of giving them the majority of minutes (regardless of the quality of the opponent) unless and until it no longer works. I know that non-starters need in-game experience, I know that sometimes starters have bad nights, and I know that starters cannot play the entire game. However, unless a game turns into a blow-out or a starter has to be brought off the court for some reason (injury or not playing well) I don't think excessive substituting is beneficial, especially relatively early in a game. I'd love to see substitutes brought in when the starters rip the opposing team a new a**hole -- and I hope that happens often this season (although there is something to be said for a close, exciting game, as well).

I really like our team.

I do, too.

I'm not a basketball coach and, unlike some fans, I don't think I know more than the coaches. In fact, I KNOW I don't know more than the coaches. However, for what it's worth, I do think the coaches need to settle on a starting team early on, allow that team to gel really, really well, and then stick with that team in terms of giving them the majority of minutes (regardless of the quality of the opponent) unless and until it no longer works. I know that non-starters need in-game experience, I know that sometimes starters have bad nights, and I know that starters cannot play the entire game. However, unless a game turns into a blow-out or a starter has to be brought off the court for some reason (injury or not playing well) I don't think excessive substituting is beneficial, especially relatively early in a game. I'd love to see substitutes brought in when the starters rip the opposing team a new a**hole -- and I hope that happens often this season (although there is something to be said for a close, exciting game, as well).

That is the way Geno does it. His starters get over 30 minutes a piece and he usually has two or three subs fill in the rest. I think whomever the starters are should play around 30 minutes each. I suspect Diamond will go around 35. Russell about 25 to 28. Carter will get up around 30 and we'll probably see the point guard position go about 20 and 20. You can't really go more than nine when you get to SEC play so three players will be seeing pine.

I do, too.

I think it is the best team we've had in a long time hopefully they will play that way.

Reactions: 1 person
ok gotcha Volfan

it did look like Graves did a lot better after Izzy went down,hopefully she has learned what she needs to work on this off season , as a lot of others have,this will be one of the most important off seasons in a while

there is a lot of room for improvements from the team,strength and conditioning as all ways needs to be worked on and stay healthy,wouldn't it be great if they could have a fairly healthy season for a change ?

especially off season work on the Offensive side of the ball,they have to cut down on the dumb ass turn overs and get into position for good shots and know when to take em and when to kick em out

some need a lot of work on the Defensive side of the ball,to get the playing time on offense,the defense did an outstanding job overall last year,some players need to work on this big time,along with the incoming freshmen class and carry forward the Defensive intensity they had last year

the future is bright,but they have to put in the effort during this off season or they will hate it this coming season

This is the best team since 2008, and has more depth then that team.
14 Andraya Carter
20 Te'a Cooper
11 Diamond DeShields
13 Kortney Dunbar
12 Bashaara Graves
10 Meme Jackson
2 Jasmine Jones
33 Alexa Middleton
1 Nia Moore
31 Jaime Nared
0 Jordan Reynolds
21 Mercedes Russell
There will be so much pressure to get playing time, everyone will be pushed to the max. If they don't give there max they will be on the bench. I can't wait till the season starts.

Last edited:
I'll be fine when football season gets here although a game a week is never enough for me.:)

I think Cooper will end up being our best defensive player. She averaged an eye popping 4 steals a game during her high school career. We know how much Holly values defense, so I wouldn't be surprised if she started at the PG position at some point in the season, if not to start. Someone compared her to Simms and I think that's an accurate statement..She does have the tendency to turn the ball over though, which has been a thorn in the side of lady vol basketball for a few years now. Wouldn't be surprised to see her get right up there with Hornbuckle in terms of steals. A duo of Carter and Cooper at the guard position, along with Deshields, Jones and Russell will be one hell of a defensive lineup and one that can score..

I think Cooper will end up being our best defensive player. She averaged an eye popping 4 steals a game during her high school career. We know how much Holly values defense, so I wouldn't be surprised if she started at the PG position at some point in the season, if not to start. Someone compared her to Simms and I think that's an accurate statement..She does have the tendency to turn the ball over though, which has been a thorn in the side of lady vol basketball for a few years now. Wouldn't be surprised to see her get right up there with Hornbuckle in terms of steals. A duo of Carter and Cooper at the guard position, along with Deshields, Jones and Russell will be one hell of a defensive lineup and one that can score..

I love Jasmine Jones and thank she will be terrific, but Bashaara Graves will start over her. I do like all the rest of your lineup.

:good!:

anybody miss Jannah T? nah, me neither! lol

She did nothing except eat big orange vittles for 2 years...

...for what it's worth, I do think the coaches need to settle on a starting team early on, allow that team to gel really, really well, and then stick with that team in terms of giving them the majority of minutes (regardless of the quality of the opponent) unless and until it no longer works. I know that non-starters need in-game experience, I know that sometimes starters have bad nights, and I know that starters cannot play the entire game. However, unless a game turns into a blow-out or a starter has to be brought off the court for some reason (injury or not playing well) I don't think excessive substituting is beneficial, especially relatively early in a game. I'd love to see substitutes brought in when the starters rip the opposing team a new a**hole -- and I hope that happens often this season (although there is something to be said for a close, exciting game, as well).

Great post! I agree. Everyone needs to participate, but a key 5-7 players should be the core that the O is built around.

I do, too.
This day and age, it is hard to get All-Americans to sit the bench and wait their turns. I think naming a lineup before final practice is not smart!

This day and age, it is hard to get All-Americans to sit the bench and wait their turns. I think naming a lineup before final practice is not smart!

I never said the coaches should name a starting lineup before the final practice. I said they should settle on a starting lineup early in the season. They should have a fairly good idea who needs to be starting by the time the first game is played. If they play those players and it proves not to work well during in-game situations, they need to go with something else. I just don't know that it is really effective to continually switch the starting lineup from game to game, or to substitute excessively, unless there is a good reason to (injury, illness, a player not playing well, etc.). The five most effective, efficient, best players who play best together should get the majority of playing time and have an opportunity to continuously gel as a unit. If another player steps up and proves to outplay one of the starting five, the coaches should always be open to reevaluating things as the season progresses (and I'm sure they are).

Last edited:
I'm probably not more than one player off when I say the starters will be Deshields, Graves, Russell, Carter, and Reynolds. We could see a bigger lineup in some games and this one in others. Deshields could be the two and Nared or Jones the three. Regardless my big nine include Nared, Jones, Cooper, and Middleton. Moore could play some post, but I'd rather see Jones in there.

I'm optimistic about Cooper, as anyone would be--but I also remember the first time I saw A. Massengale play for UT as a freshman: I thought she was already the best pure PG we'd had in at least a decade and would be a great player. Wrong. She didn't play very good defense, wasn't physical and never really improved much as a distributor or scorer, though she did develop a decent three-point shot. Mass ended up a disappointment for me, pretty much in the same way as Simmons. Neither one of them was better as a senior than they were as freshmen, really--maybe a touch better. My point is, it's going to be wait and see for me with all newcomers.

I'm probably not more than one player off when I say the starters will be Deshields, Graves, Russell, Carter, and Reynolds. We could see a bigger lineup in some games and this one in others. Deshields could be the two and Nared or Jones the three. Regardless my big nine include Nared, Jones, Cooper, and Middleton. Moore could play some post, but I'd rather see Jones in there.

Agree on your starting 5. Holly likes experience.

I'm optimistic about Cooper, as anyone would be--but I also remember the first time I saw A. Massengale play for UT as a freshman: I thought she was already the best pure PG we'd had in at least a decade and would be a great player. Wrong. She didn't play very good defense, wasn't physical and never really improved much as a distributor or scorer, though she did develop a decent three-point shot. Mass ended up a disappointment for me, pretty much in the same way as Simmons. Neither one of them was better as a senior than they were as freshmen, really--maybe a touch better. My point is, it's going to be wait and see for me with all newcomers.

Classic negative post from Arm! :)

Classic negative post from Arm! :)

Every time I read Armchair's posts, this comes to mind:

You're enjoying your day
Everything's going your way
Then along comes Debbie Downer.

Always there to tell you 'bout a new disease
A car accident or killer bees
You'll beg her to spare you, "Debbie, Please!"
But you can't stop Debbie Downer!

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store