Speculating on softball turnover

2Alum4EverVol

Fall ball is still about 4 months away and a lot can happen during the upcoming long hot summer months --particularly if you have an astronomical number of eligible players vying for a limited number of available roster slots. Most college softball coaches will be content with fielding a team with 15-17 healthy bodies. UT as of today has 15 returning players in addition to an incoming freshman class of 12. Yes, 12 freshman! That's a pool of total of 27 eligible players to field one softball team. It's large enough to field not one, not two, but three practice squads. The number simply doesn't add up. Something's gotta give. And here's my best educated guess as to who's gonna eventually end up saying a sayonara, not make the final roster and look for the greener pasture somewhere else/do something else. When the dust finally settles, I think the Weeklys will look to cut the final number down to about 20-22 before the season starts. Still very large number for a softball team, but manageable.

Gone from the team:

1-4. Haileigh Norris, Shianne Ybarra, Hannah Devotie & Lauren Irwin: you had your share of great experiences and fun being a lady vol, being in spotlight including a WCWS appearance in OKC. That's more than most softball players can say. That's a memory of lifetime which will serve you well in future. But this is where the bus stops. You don't really add any tangible value beyond being a practice player or an occasional pinch runner or so, the roles several talented new players can more than fill in admirably. We are built for a championship run and chumps gotta go. Bye-bye~

It's a tough call on Lauren Irwin b/c she's a local East TN kid from Seymour, and she simply loves being at UT. She seemed to not only love being a part of the team, but from all appearances she simply cherished the experiences of going to her dream state school. But she'll move on and play at a smaller school and be successful in life.

5. CJ McClain: after losing a starting job to Brooke Vines, I think McClain will look to transfer in spring. I feel bad for CJ. She came into the program highly touted but with some questionable character concerns. The potential for greatness was there within grasp, but the things simply didn't work out for her in the end. The warning signs were present if one looked carefully, however. That dropped ball in SECT championship game which basically cost us the third SECT championship, and her crying in the dugout afterwards are still etched in my mind as unforgettable moments of this past year. Wish her the best moving forward.

That cuts the number down to 22. I think the potential for losing additional one or two even three is still there, but I don't have a crystal ball, and at this point it's such a crapshoot that your guess is as good as mine.

Reactions: 1 person
I believe it is fine to speculate on who is leaving, but the most important thing is to get one or two dominant pitchers. Pitching wins games and while the Weeklys did a good job of pitchers by committee, they need someone they can count on to shut down the other team. I don't know if they have anyone in the incoming group that can fill that role. Hope I am wrong.

Chump....that's pretty offensive. Especially to players who have put countless hours into their sport. Much more than most could imagine. I know you probably didn't mean to offend. So I will try and overlook your ignorance.
In regard to the 12 players coming in. The first step in digging yourself out of a hole is to stop digging. Tennessee is digging again.

Reactions: 8 people
Oh Terra…They are all champs in my eyes. Believe me. And I'm gonna miss every single one of them. A lot. Their presence in the dugout with their rally hats on and doing other silly gigs was a joy to watch. I wish the incoming class wasn't so big so that players like Haileigh, Lauren and Hannah can still stay on the team. These are all Tennessee-born and -raised kids too, and more than likely they will be gone from the team next year. There's a value in having a local kid on the program with a community rallying behind it...But that's not realistic and the incoming 12 have every right to fight for a spot and pursue their dreams like every one else.

There's a different degree of chumpiness in this world. I'm a chump, you're a chump, he's a chump, and they are chumps, and we are all chumps. Some are more of a chump than others. Does it make sense? I was a high school athlete, and that was hard enough for me. Juggling a varsity sport and books did really take a toll on me. Can't imagine how demanding the schedule is for D-1 student athletes, especially at a place like Tennessee. I know they've put up a lot and sacrificed a ton…I had a pleasure of having a football player in my classroom AND a softball player when i went to UT 10-15 yrs ago. The softball player was the one who got me interested in the program. Until I met her, I had no idea that UT fielded a softball team. This was back when they played at Tyson Park. I went out to watch them once in support of my female friend, and I got hooked. Ever since then i stayed a fan. Some yrs I follow more closely than others, but I do follow them pretty much throughout the whole year, and I go out to Lee stadium to watch them. And in the last 10 plus yrs, did I ever think of any of them being a chump. :)

Oh Terra…They are all champs in my eyes. Believe me. And I'm gonna miss every single one of them. A lot. Their presence in the dugout with their rally hats on and doing other silly gigs was a joy to watch. I wish the incoming class wasn't so big so that players like Haileigh, Lauren and Hannah can still stay on the team. These are all Tennessee-born and -raised kids too, and more than likely they will be gone from the team next year. There's a value in having a local kid on the program with a community rallying behind it...But that's not realistic and the incoming 12 have every right to fight for a spot and pursue their dreams like every one else.

There's a different degree of chumpiness in this world. I'm a chump, you're a chump, he's a chump, and they are chumps, and we are all chumps. Some are more of a chump than others. Does it make sense? I was a high school athlete, and that was hard enough for me. Juggling a varsity sport and books did really take a toll on me. Can't imagine how demanding the schedule is for D-1 student athletes, especially at a place like Tennessee. I know they've put up a lot and sacrificed a ton…I had a pleasure of having a football player in my classroom AND a softball player when i went to UT 10-15 yrs ago. The softball player was the one who got me interested in the program. Until I met her, I had no idea that UT fielded a softball team. This was back when they played at Tyson Park. I went out to watch them once in support of my female friend, and I got hooked. Ever since then i stayed a fan. Some yrs I follow more closely than others, but I do follow them pretty much throughout the whole year, and I go out to Lee stadium to watch them. And in the last 10 plus yrs, did I ever think of any of them being a chump. :)

That tune seems familiar. But, seriously, it is pointless to speculate what the line-up might look like next year or who'll leave the team or how he has the scholarships allocated-we don't know that and we don't know injury status of players.

Great additions are Vines, Bush, Leach and Moss. Those four will help this team reach another level. After this season when we had a shortage of pitching we'll have six on the team. Vines will be a starter and Leach could as well. Will be very interesting to see the roster for next season.

McClain didn't have enough at bats to say whether she can hit or not. I think an outfield with both Vines and McClain is defensively awesome. I think most of the Tennessee players you could give half scholarships and stretch out the process.

Last edited:
The question of McClain's batting prowess has arisen several times in various threads. There were past references on this board to her being able to "rip the cover off the ball" when she was in high school. Her UT bio states she hit .837 with 36 hits in first 43 at-bats, 15 homers and 41 RBIs and 53 stolen bases in her senior year at Stratford. She had 15 at-bats with 3 hits at UT this season. Ralph stated at the beginning of the season she was "behind". He may have meant behind in batting, overall performance, or something else, I don't know. Does anybody know how well or poorly she hit the ball in practice or scrimmages at UT?

I really like the Irwin player from Seymour.....You may be right, but she is all Lady Vol. But I hope she stays.

CJ McClain made a blunder that may haunt her for many years....I hope she stays too.

Such a large incoming class has it's pluses/ minuses....Lots of potential college talent, but where do you place them.....

I just hope the pitching is upgraded a great deal.....Gabriel has been valiant but her hip has been a problem for her.

Chump is not the right word to use for these wonderful young ladies. If for no other reason, their parents may read this board...Show some respect.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
The numbers always have a way of working themselves out figure Ralph already had it figured out before he signed all the players coming in.

I'm not worried at all with the large number of players,the Weeklys have consistently proven they know what they are doing and I'm sure they will handle this wisely

Totally unexpected. Didn't see this one coming. I thought should anybody from California decide to leave, it would be Taylor Koenig. I almost posted about Koenig, but then decided not to. Well, Aldrete is not totally irreplaceable 'tho. As good a player as she is, I think we'll be okay with Overstreet and Abby Lockman covering the catcher position. It just hastened the process 1-2 yrs sooner for Loackman. She'll solidify the catcher position in the next 3-4 yrs until Madison Shipman's little sister Allysa comes in and takes over the position in year '18-19. If Abby Lockman is as good a player as her big sister who plays for Nebraska, then she'll be alright. Really enjoyed watching Annie play for The Big Orange for the last two yrs, appreciate everything she's done for the program, and wish her nothing but the best. Really liked her personality... Scratching my head...

I was told that she and Aldrete were leaving the program yesterday, and it wasn't even a UT fan that told me.

Depressing...definitely a risk that comes with recruiting players from half way across the country.

Her brother plays for Arizona State's baseball team. Wouldn't be surprised if thats her destination.

Last edited:
I was told that she and Aldrete were leaving the program yesterday, and it wasn't even a UT fan that told me.

we know why Annie has left,any word on why Koenig would be leaving ? if she is ,I assume it is just rumors so far

Last edited:
I'm afraid of the domino effect; Taylor Koenig leaving us could potentially affect her good friend Megan Geer. Koenig and Geer, the two roommates have been playing softball together since their travel ball days in 8th or 9th grade or so. From outside looking in, it looks like Geer has a good situation going on at UT, but who knows what these 19-20 year olds might be thinking. I hope and pray that Geer stays b/c she's one of my favorite players to watch. I would absolutely hate to lose her. We need her. My prediction: Geer stays..

Last edited:
When you have such a large class coming in there has to be turnover to make room for all the new kids....The Weekly's probably knew some ladies were going to leave, due to several reason's, and recruited to take their place. It's all part of the process.

Also, anyone that watched the team at the College World Series could see we had our problems in several areas......Although the pitching was suspect, the hitting and defense was not stellar when it needed to be.

The stage may have been too big for them, or they just ran out of gas....They gave it a hell of a ride getting there. So I applaud their efforts, as I applaud the Weekly's for bringing in more talent.

Whoa: Koenig has NOT been recruited over--that is a CRAZY comment. She had a solid year last year, as I recall, and this year led the Vols in homers and was our best RBI player in the first half of the year; had an outstanding first half. She's our best power hitter. You need power in this game--especially in close games when one long ball can win it. Now, her hitting fell off pretty significantly in the last part of the season. Why, I can't say. I call that a slump, and see no reason why she can't come back and have a very good season next year--unless she has a problem hitting good (i.e. SEC) pitching. You gotta be tough-minded to be a college athlete--there are difficulties, for everyone, and you have to face them square, not turn and run when things aren't going swell. I'd certainly think that Koenig has a chance to be a key part of the team next year.

VN Store

Back