Great win for the women's flagship program

The OP should have taken notes during basic mathematics class. But it is great to have two awesome LV programs.

Reactions: 8 people
Brilliant coaching by the Weeklys this year. Pitching was inconsistent all season but they handled our four pitchers deftly and Vols got big performances when we needed them. Likewise, our young hitters have really been struggling but the team has scratched out runs and gotten some clutch hits and huge victories. We aren't going to last long in the World Series if we don't start hitting considerably better--but for now we can be happy. Led by Gaffin, a tough-minded group.

The thing about Aldrete is she has had some hard hits and line drives lately but they always seem to be caught.

it was great that the Lady Vols won the series,there keeping up there hard work and determination to get to the WCWS

now don't let up since you have made Lady Vols :)

I think the Weekleys make $300,000 per year and Serrano makes $450,000 per year. Seems a little out of whack. Wonder what the other league coaches make?

Reactions: 4 people
Softball has been the best program at UT--men or women--for the last 8 or more years. Our second best program would probably be men's tennis--very quiet, but our men's tennis team played for the national title two or three years ago (lost, runnerup) but our men's doubles team won the national championship last year and might win it again this year. Football has been terrible and basketball = meh. Our once strong swimming and track programs have fallen off--especially track. Swimming is still pretty good. The good news is that football seems to be improving--and women's soccer is on the upswing.

Reactions: 2 people
Softball has been the best program at UT--men or women--for the last 8 or more years. Our second best program would probably be men's tennis--very quiet, but our men's tennis team played for the national title two or three years ago (lost, runnerup) but our men's doubles team won the national championship last year and might win it again this year. Football has been terrible and basketball = meh. Our once strong swimming and track programs have fallen off--especially track. Swimming is still pretty good. The good news is that football seems to be improving--and women's soccer is on the upswing.

While we should all enjoy this run to OKC--between football, women's basketball and softball 2016 could be very special for Vol fans. As another poster mentioned womens soccer had a top 5 recruiting class so that's a wildcard as well.

I thought I heard the softball team has a #1 recruiting class coming in next year??? but don't quote me on that.

The Weeklys have a /big/ (about 10) and very talented class coming in, which is great news except that it's hard to imagine where anyone's going to play given that we've got a lot of good, young players already. Good problem to have, I suppose.

This team getting to the World Series is a masterful coaching job. Were really short on pitching and have six freshmen or sophomores starting. What we do from here on in is just extra benefits.

Reactions: 2 people
It will be interesting to see who they lose next year. They lose the two seniors of course but they have I think 8 players coming in.

Softball you can have 12 scholarships and basketball is 15. The NCAA should think about reversing that. It should be softball 15 and basketball 12. If they have 24 on the roster that would be 0.5 scholarship per girl but I think they give the out of state kids full scholarships. For instance Aldrete, Geer, Gregg, Gaffin, Overstreet, Tarango, Ybarra, Adell, Gabriel, Koenig, would probably have close to full. That only leaves three full for the other 14 players. A lot of the instate girls like Lewis, McSwain, Geathers, McClain, Dottie, can get the Hope Scholarship to help. Also, I suspect some of the out of state girls qualify for academic scholarship too. But, it must be a real juggling act for a softball coach to try to make it work. That is why I wish they would change the allocation. Basketball doesn't really need 15 scholarships.

Reactions: 3 people
8 of the 16 teams is the world series are from the SEC?

No, the super regionals which is like the sweet 16 in basketball. So far only two have made it to the WCWS which is the final 8-Tennessee and either Florida or Kentucky. Still in contention: Missouri, Auburn, Alabama, LSU. GA has been knocked out.

Damn, if Gabriel's hip is bad enough to where she can't pitch then that is going to be a tough row to hoe. Gaffin will have to do about 80% of the pitching.

Softball you can have 12 scholarships and basketball is 15. The NCAA should think about reversing that. It should be softball 15 and basketball 12. If they have 24 on the roster that would be 0.5 scholarship per girl but I think they give the out of state kids full scholarships. For instance Aldrete, Geer, Gregg, Gaffin, Overstreet, Tarango, Ybarra, Adell, Gabriel, Koenig, would probably have close to full. That only leaves three full for the other 14 players. A lot of the instate girls like Lewis, McSwain, Geathers, McClain, Dottie, can get the Hope Scholarship to help. Also, I suspect some of the out of state girls qualify for academic scholarship too. But, it must be a real juggling act for a softball coach to try to make it work. That is why I wish they would change the allocation. Basketball doesn't really need 15 scholarships.

I just looked up the scholarship limits, not believing the 15 number for basketball--and you are right. The number makes no sense. Men's basketball only gets 13! UT BB women rarely have more than 12 players on the team--and often it has been fewer than that. You have to wonder what the NCAA is thinking when they give a sport with 5 starters more scholarships than sports like softball and soccer that have 9-11 starters. Most soccer teams have--and need--a squad of 22 players! That is is only one full second team. Why should 5 third-teamers in basketball, who will almost never play, get schollies? I can only assume it's a power sport thing, since basketball is a more established sport, generates more revenue, has more clout. The limit numbers need a rethink, IMO.

Last edited:
What a wonderful job by a bunch of young players. I may appear to be a little critical of the coaching, but, here goes. Late in the game, runners on 3rd and 2nd if memory serves me correctly. I was yelling at the screen, "Ralph bunt Koenig, Ralph bunt Koenig, a squeeze, a bunt, put the ball in play. We all know Koenig is not hitting right now, put the ball in play". He didn't and we didn't score that inning. I know hindsight and all that armchair stuff. Still, I was a little disgusted with the coaching that inning! Overall, how can you not like the way these young ladies are playing. Keep it up in Oklahoma!

Softball should definitely be at least 15 more like 18 would seem right. I think basketball should be 12 cut down on some of this over signing that SC and Kentucky do.

What a wonderful job by a bunch of young players. I may appear to be a little critical of the coaching, but, here goes. Late in the game, runners on 3rd and 2nd if memory serves me correctly. I was yelling at the screen, "Ralph bunt Koenig, Ralph bunt Koenig, a squeeze, a bunt, put the ball in play. We all know Koenig is not hitting right now, put the ball in play". He didn't and we didn't score that inning. I know hindsight and all that armchair stuff. Still, I was a little disgusted with the coaching that inning! Overall, how can you not like the way these young ladies are playing. Keep it up in Oklahoma!

:clapping: Same here. I was also yelling at the TV to bunt but Ralph, I guess, didn't hear me from all the noise that was going on in the stands.

VN Store

Back