Why is Tennessee hosting the Big 12 Rowing

Tennessee used to be in Conference USA with Rowing. They changed to the Big 12 a few seasons ago.

Yeah when the Conference USA kind of splintered. Bama doesn't have a women's soccer. Tennessee doesn't have gymnastics so they both have rowing.

Yeah when the Conference USA kind of splintered. Bama doesn't have a women's soccer. Tennessee doesn't have gymnastics so they both have rowing.

Gymnastics is so big at other schools. Are we the only SEC team that doesn't have a team? Is Bama the only SEC school that does not field a soccer team? Being in the Big 12 seems so strange:question:.

Nope they have volleyball. Can't figure it out unless they give less scholarships or their rowing might be all non scholarship. That is possible.

Championships?????? Just curious

Thanks in advance

Tennessee, Alabama and Old Dominion joined the Big 12 this year because the schools that were full members of CUSA that had rowing moved to The American Conference, which already had rowing.

You must have at least 6 schools in order to get an NCAA automatic bid, so UT, Alabama and ODU joined with Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas and Kansas State and West Virginia, all of whom were also in CUSA for rowing, to form a conference large enough to earn an automatic bid.

I'm glad we don't have gymnastics--a sport that is basically for 10-17 year olds, and only late teens if you are tiny. Gymnasts are great athletes, but it's a bit of an odd collegiate sport, in my view. Rowing is cool.

Yes they can, there's no limit on sports.

OK. So if the school will support the sport they just have that scholarship limit for each sport but can do all of them if they want. Didn't realize that. I always incorrectly assumed there was a maximum total scholarship. Well I guess there is if you add up all the sports. Tennessee just chooses not to participate in gymnastics.

Men's Soccer, Gymnastics, and Mens/Womens Lacrosse are four sports I would love to see added.

Lacrosse is becoming a very popular sport. Big Ten just formed a league last year and a couple of Pac-12 schools are trying their hand at it as well.

Before we go adding any sports we first have to build the indoor track & field facility to recruit the athletes necessary to win in x country, track & field. Aside from coaching issues, lack of an indoor facility is extremely detrimental to a program that really has gone to the dumps. We finished last in mens and womens at the SEC Outdoors this past weekend.

Can't get into Soccer, Lacrosse, or Gymnastics. Like watching paint dry although I do like watching the Olympics women's gymnastics. Now women's beach volleyball-I could get into that.

Men's Soccer, Gymnastics, and Mens/Womens Lacrosse are four sports I would love to see added.

Lacrosse is becoming a very popular sport. Big Ten just formed a league last year and a couple of Pac-12 schools are trying their hand at it as well.

Before we go adding any sports we first have to build the indoor track & field facility to recruit the athletes necessary to win in x country, track & field. Aside from coaching issues, lack of an indoor facility is extremely detrimental to a program that really has gone to the dumps. We finished last in mens and womens at the SEC Outdoors this past weekend.

What happened with track? We used to have very competitive teams, men and women.

In rowing, I saw that we finished third in the Big 12 "automatic qualifier" (for the NCAA championship, I think) but have no idea what that means, and the UTSports.com story did not explain.

In rowing, I saw that we finished third in the Big 12 "automatic qualifier" (for the NCAA championship, I think) but have no idea what that means, and the UTSports.com story did not explain.

The "championship" was for the automatic qualifier spot to the NCAA Championships.

The actual Big 12 Champion would be the full Big 12 member (Texas, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma or West Virginia) that finished highest at the championships.

wished they would stream a few events,I'd watch :)

surely they could find a some students to help out doing it,hmmm or would ESPN expect some money for that ? :)

OK. So if the school will support the sport they just have that scholarship limit for each sport but can do all of them if they want. Didn't realize that. I always incorrectly assumed there was a maximum total scholarship. Well I guess there is if you add up all the sports. Tennessee just chooses not to participate in gymnastics.

I may be way off on this but I thought the only limitation on total sports or total scholarships was related to the number available for females versus males as part of Title IX. Stanford, for example, does well in the all sports trophy because the for els teams in water polo, fencing, archery... Pretty much everything.

VN Store

Back