Holly vs Uconn

Smallvol#1

MarchMatters
Heard on Sportstalk that Holly said had agreed with ESPN to play uconn and geeno nixed it at last minute. Anyone know the details? Is geeno just being his usual :crazy:self? (Tell me, gule, what is he again!)

Last edited:
Geno wanted an apology to Maya Moore and her mother and that was where it all ended.

Heard on Sportstalk that Holly said had agreed with ESPN to play uconn and geeno nixed it at last minute. Anyone know the details? Is geeno just being his usual :crazy:self? (Tell me, gule, what is he again!)

Holly has agreed twice to play UConn. She knows that UConn is the best in the country right now, and to be the best, you have to play the best. Pat also gave Holly her blessing on renewing the series, which was important to Holly.

Geno demanded an apology for the Maya issue, which Holly refused to give.

ESPN came to Holly again, and she agreed, but then John Altavilla interviewed Geno about it, and the jist of the interview was that it didn't matter if UConn ever played Tennessee again, UConn has other rivalries now.

After that, Holly moved on, as she should have.

Reactions: 5 people
I was listening myself.

On one hand I think its absolutely imperative we play them again to know what it takes to be the best. So I'm glad they've reached the conclusion enough time has passed to play them.

On the other hand it just feels like were coming at the game from a really bad negotiating position and almost looks like we are begging for a game. Holly said that Geno said he didn't need to play us and hes correct. He holds all the cards and I just cant imagine this dialogue going anywhere productive.

Reactions: 1 person
Isn't this all old news? The demand for a Maya apology was last year. Holly really needs to drop this, Geno is just playing her for a fool (which is how he treats people that can do nothing for him), and she needs to tell ESPN to please drop it also. God this dead horse will never die. Maybe Geno will get some serious disease and retire. Please.

Isn't this all old news? The demand for a Maya apology was last year. Holly really needs to drop this, Geno is just playing her for a fool (which is how he treats people that can do nothing for him), and she needs to tell ESPN to please drop it also. God this dead horse will never die. Maybe Geno will get some serious disease and retire. Please.

I'm pretty sure Holly has dropped it already and moved on as mtsuraider has said above. It's the media and ESPN that hasn't. And don't say stuff like that LVJeff. I wouldn't wish anything as bad as Pat is going thru on anyone.

Reactions: 7 people

Changed my mind..

Last edited:
My understanding was this is a recent event, that approached by ESPN, Holly agreed thinking it was a go with uconn too (after all, ESPN and geno do seemingly have a bond). Not the old Maya Moore, geno having his feelings hurt, nah nah nah. Then at the last minute geno pulled the rug out from under ESPN and would not agree to play. As far as that old "apology" line, that is just a weak excuse to refuse to play and trying to look mistreated while doing so. IMO.

ESPN is who hasn't moved on. They are continuously trying to get this game going again, and twice so far, it would have happened had Geno kept his mouth shut.

Granted, he probably does feel like he is owed an apology, and also, he doesn't feel like he has to play Tennessee. It's his right to feel that way.

However, if both sides have agreed to play, as they did, and then to come back with conditions and when not given, sabotage the current agreement, it's on him.

Holly & Tennessee moved on eight years ago, and have moved on again.

I wouldn't wish what happened to Pat on ANYONE or any program, even UConn. No program deserves to go through what Tennessee did when Pat got sick.

Putting out karma like wishing Geno would get sick is repugnant, and not something that this board or Tennessee needs.

Reactions: 4 people
I was listening myself.

On one hand I think its absolutely imperative we play them again to know what it takes to be the best. So I'm glad they've reached the conclusion enough time has passed to play them.

On the other hand it just feels like were coming at the game from a really bad negotiating position and almost looks like we are begging for a game. Holly said that Geno said he didn't need to play us and hes correct. He holds all the cards and I just cant imagine this dialogue going anywhere productive.

We didn't approach UConn about playing. This was done by ESPN.

Think back to 1995. Who needed who then? Did Pat need Geno? Did Tennessee need Uconn? No. But Pat took her team to Uconn and played them anyway. Geno repaid Pat with over 10 years worth of acrimony, spiteful comments, vulgarities, and mind games. I personally witnessed and heard some of his profanity-laced tirades at her. Now here we are 20 years later and who needs who? Does Geno need Holly? Does Uconn need Tennessee? Not a chance. And Geno isn't about to play Tennessee unless he gets whatever it is he thinks he needs. He'll yank Holly around forever if he can get away with it.

Reactions: 4 people
The only time we NEED to play that bunch is in the NCAA finals. I could care less if Geno and his bunch of merry women ever step foot in/on "The Summit" again.

Reactions: 5 people
Seems like Holly is getting REALLY desperate to remain relevant with recruits no longer lining up to Tennessee like they used to. I see little else that would be gained by renewing the series....

Reactions: 3 people
Seems like Holly is getting REALLY desperate to remain relevant with recruits no longer lining up to Tennessee like they used to. I see little else that would be gained by renewing the series....

Yeah I can remember the olden days, when players like #1 ranked Mercedes Russell decided to come to TN.

Reactions: 9 people
Geno wanted an apology to Maya Moore and her mother and that was where it all ended.

Lol! Hell will freeze over 3 times before that happen. I don't believe the things about Maya Moore and her mother were just made up and are just make believe. Tennessee lost out on other coveted recruits and speculation like this was never made regarding those recruits. You go from living in low income housing Georgia to living in Connecticut plus flying around the country to UConn's games. Lol! Its not a coincidence either that he benched Candace Parker during the Olympics when Katherine Moore attended. There's a lot of things that goes on behind the scenes in recruiting. If the NCAA really cared there would of been a thoroughly investigation regarding Maya Moore, but the NCAA doesn't police the women's game the way they do the men's basketball or college football. UConn had missed several Final Fours and every coach in the country knew Maya Moore was the next big thing after Candace Parker. I'm sorry, but I believe something went down and the tracks were perfectly erased.

Reactions: 3 people
We didn't approach UConn about playing. This was done by ESPN.

Gotcha. That part wasn't really discernible from the interview with Hymas.

I'd like to see Warlick refuse to take anymore questions on the matter from friendly or unfriendly media. There's just nothing productive that can come from it.

Reactions: 2 people
Gotcha. That part wasn't really discernible from the interview with Hymas.

I'd like to see Warlick refuse to take anymore questions on the matter from friendly or unfriendly media. There's just nothing productive that can come from it.

From what I've been told, Holly is done with it.

VN Store

Back