Softball to host regional and super regional

LVJeff

LV's an 8 seed. A strong finish propels them into the top 8.

Utah, Va Tech, and Longwood in the regional. Utah beat the LV's at the Mary Nutter Classic in Palm Springs in February. The winner advances to play the Tallahassee Regional winner which should be either Florida State or South Carolina.

Nice to see a smile on CJ McClain's face.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
I'll take my crow pie with extra whipped cream.

After the South Carolina series I was not hot on this team. Tremendous accomplishment and resiliency. Congrats ladies.

Early look at that bracket while their season didn't go as expected UK has to like that bracket and Florida can't be happy they might get stuck with them in the super regionals.

Last edited:
Very surprised (but happy for the girls) regarding hosting the super regional s. I was expecting they would get to host the regional s but not the supers. Hope they can overcome the Weekly hex, eventually.

Reactions: 1 person
Congrats to the Lady Vols for their achievements this year. I've been a silent follower of this team, and they show everything you want to see. Courage, resiliency, mental fortitude, perseverance, and motivation teams like these are the reason why I watch sports.

Reactions: 3 people
Very surprised (but happy for the girls) regarding hosting the super regional s. I was expecting they would get to host the regional s but not the supers. Hope they can overcome the Weekly hex, eventually.

I don't follow this sport very closely, but it appears to me that the tournament run got them hosting a super regional. Beat the 1 and 5 overall seeds plus beating UK after the sweep. Also, they beat FSU this year already at a neutral site so that puts them as the host.

If the seeds hold to form, there will be some big SEC matchups in the CWS. UT v. UF and Auburn v. LSU and winners play each other. Bama would get Michigan.

I won't say I told most of you so but this was a young team and you needed to sit back and just enjoy the process. Have you enjoyed it?

Reactions: 4 people
They have a very good chance of making it to Oklahoma City IMO.

They need to play smart, and Gabriel needs to keep doing what she's doing.

I don't follow this sport very closely, but it appears to me that the tournament run got them hosting a super regional. Beat the 1 and 5 overall seeds plus beating UK after the sweep. Also, they beat FSU this year already at a neutral site so that puts them as the host.

If the seeds hold to form, there will be some big SEC matchups in the CWS. UT v. UF and Auburn v. LSU and winners play each other. Bama would get Michigan.

Let's not put the cart before the horse. Enjoy the process.

Interesting they put two teams in our bracket we didn't fare well against-South Carolina and Utah. Those devils.

Eleven SEC schools in the tournament. Seven SEC schools on the left side of the bracket. :mad:

Oklahoma with an 11 seed. They can't be happy with that.

Potential super regional matchups if the seeds hold:
Florida-Notre Dame or Kentucky
Tennessee-Florida State
LSU-Arizona
Auburn-La. Lafayette
Michigan-Georgia
Alabama-Oklahoma
UCLA-Missouri
Oregon-James Madison

This probably needs its own thread, and will most likely get it if UT doesn't win it all. I for one am amazed they have got this far this year. Pitching is obviously the biggest issue. I have questioned their decisions on pitching all year but whatever they are doing is working.

And they are perennial contenders. As much as we think the Weeklys hold them back from winning, they seem to always have the team in a position to win. Getting rid of them would be first met with cheers from the majority, followed by 5+ years of just trying to get back to relevance. See "run Fulmer out of town now" for comparison. Fulmer's "9-3 isn't good enough" seasons would be celebrated today.

Reactions: 5 people
This probably needs its own thread, and will most likely get it if UT doesn't win it all. I for one am amazed they have got this far this year. Pitching is obviously the biggest issue. I have questioned their decisions on pitching all year but whatever they are doing is working.

And they are perennial contenders. As much as we think the Weeklys hold them back from winning, they seem to always have the team in a position to win. Getting rid of them would be first met with cheers from the majority, followed by 5+ years of just trying to get back to relevance. See "run Fulmer out of town now" for comparison. Fulmer's "9-3 isn't good enough" seasons would be celebrated today.

They are the best coaches at UT. We've been unlucky in a couple of big spots--but they are exceptional coaches. I love the two of them. They been smart with the pitching--they've pretty much dropped Aucoin out of the rotation because she can't throw the ball over the plate. Thankfully, Gabriel and Gaffin are tough kids, and Gabriel has stepped up the last quarter of the season and in the tournament. It seems like her stamina is improving, as is her confidence. Don't want to Jonx her! Also, Gregg has been STOUT at the plate the last part of the season--she is a player. Team should be feeling good about itself.

Reactions: 4 people
We played 15 games against top ten teams and had a winning record 8 and 7. We have a great chance to make the World Series playing at home in both the regional and Super Regional. This team has excelled picked 8th in the SEC was much better in a tough league look forward to the tourneys.

Who in heck in their right mind would even propose getting rid of the Weekly's? Insanity.

Who in heck in their right mind would even propose getting rid of the Weekly's? Insanity.

:crazy: You're fully aware of how things go around here. If we don't win a Championship each & every year in each sport at TN we need to go find a coach that will do it.

Any idea if our hosted games will be televised? Want to go but don't want to go all three days unless I have really good seats.

Tennessee is probably sitting better than they ever have in school history regarding the regional and super. IMO they will walk through the regional with that schedule. I was surprised as well they got an 8 seed. Not sure who else would have deserved it really maybe Okla which I am sure they arent happy. I honestly think TV has alot to do with their seed. The fans and outfits along with the entertainment value means big audience. I believe the 1st game of the national championship game was the largest audience ever for a softball game (Tenn Vs Okla). SO...Tennessee is good tv. They like good stories...Tenn may be the cinderella. Gabriel is the key and they have to stick with proven results. Gaffin is a closer....once they leave the regionals you use ALL your pitchers on staff and that includes Tarrango and that changeup even for one inning.

VN Store

Back