Update on Jody Adams and Wichita State

wow did I read the part about taking a players car keys right ?

In 2011, director of operations Dana Eikenberg, later promoted to assistant coach, used her forearm to pin a former player against the wall in a hotel during a road trip

practice time that exceeds NCAA limits < why isn't the NCAA investigating ?

a policy of keeping the circle tight that limits time and conversations with parents. <why would parents put up with that and why would a head coach worry about it ?

sounds awful strange to me

"I’ve dedicated my life to building a successful program that not only wins basketball games, but prepares young women for the rest of their lives,” Adams said in the release. “I regret if my efforts to build winning teams were ever seen as disrespectful of any person. I’ll continue to look for ways that I can improve both my coaching style and technique to help us win games and improve the lives of our players every day.”

Adams has numerous supporters who characterize her coaching style as tough, but with the best interest of the athletes at its core. Several former players and co-workers have spoken on her behalf in recent days. On Friday, Missouri Valley Conference coaches showed their support on social media with a picture of them holding Adams aloft. The coaches met in Moline, Ill., to promote the women’s tournament move to a new city and took the impromptu photo.

“She’s one of the most caring and passionate people I know,” Southern Illinois coach Cindy Stein said. “Every single one of us knows that in those kind of scenarios it could be any one of us if a kid goes rogue and starts throwing out accusations

"
“She’s one of the most caring and passionate people I know,” Southern Illinois coach Cindy Stein said. “Every single one of us knows that in those kind of scenarios it could be any one of us if a kid goes rogue and starts throwing out accusations

that is true,but didn't like 4 players leave ? she has been reprimanded before

and I don't know why I find this interesting :)

Summitt ran off her fair share of lazy girls too, jus sayin....

In all honesty if I'm the AD I go ahead and fire her. Her ability to recruit and maintain the program is over at this point. No sane person would ever want to send their child to play for her again.

I wouldn't either WVU,her name is out in a very negative way right now,but she is winning there right now,so i guess that is the main thing

In all honesty if I'm the AD I go ahead and fire her. Her ability to recruit and maintain the program is over at this point. No sane person would ever want to send their child to play for her again.

You could be right. But there is this to consider:

"WSU has won three straight MVC titles and made three straight trips to the NCAA Tournament, unprecedented success, under Adams and her coaching staff."

Check back with me in 2-3 years once the impact is felt on the recruiting trail.

The article says the complaints started in 2008. There were additional complaints in 2011 and 2012. And now these latest departures. During all this the program has won three straight MVC titles and made three straight trips to the NCAA Tournament. If players leaving in 2008 and complaining about abusive tactics in 2011 and 2012 didn't hurt recruiting, I'm unsure how much this latest will hurt. Pat Summitt used to say Tennessee wasn't for everybody. Maybe WSU isn't for everybody either.

From the article:

The departures began during Adams’ first season and a group of four voiced their objections...

In 2011, director of operations Dana Eikenberg, later promoted to assistant coach, used her forearm to pin a former player against the wall...

After the 2011-12 season, the entire team met with athletic director Eric Sexton to voice their complaints..."

that's her, I knew it started with a C.... Colorado/California? lol

The article says the complaints started in 2008. There were additional complaints in 2011 and 2012. And now these latest departures. During all this the program has won three straight MVC titles and made three straight trips to the NCAA Tournament. If players leaving in 2008 and complaining about abusive tactics in 2011 and 2012 didn't hurt recruiting, I'm unsure how much this latest will hurt. Pat Summitt used to say Tennessee wasn't for everybody. Maybe WSU isn't for everybody either.

From the article:

The departures began during Adams’ first season and a group of four voiced their objections...

In 2011, director of operations Dana Eikenberg, later promoted to assistant coach, used her forearm to pin a former player against the wall...

After the 2011-12 season, the entire team met with athletic director Eric Sexton to voice their complaints..."

Yes, all of these incidents happened during that three year run but the incidents are just now coming to light as evidenced by the media coverage. So the full impact has yet to be seen.

You can cloak it in terms of "WSU isn't for everybody" but facts are facts. I'm as hard ass as anybody (ask the people who report to me at work) but in 2015 "putting a forearm to pin a player" and cutting off communication with family is unacceptable.

I also think you should be very cautious about implying a subtle link between Pat's methods and Jody's method with the Tennessee isn't for everyone, therefore WSU isn't for everyone comment. Pat may have been tough but none of the crazy tactics laid out in that article was ever thrown at Pat Summitt's program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
All the incidents didn't happen during the three year run...2008 is 5 years before the championships began. 2011 is 2 years before. The 2008 complaints were reported. The 2011 complaint was apparently not reported until now. At least I can find no reference to it other than this article. The 2012 meeting with the AD was reported.

I never said any of this was acceptable. I said I was unsure how much it would hurt recruiting.

I appreciate the advice to be cautious, but since I am many years retired, I doubt the advice is needed.

It said that the coach who pinned the player to the wall no longer coaches at WSU. So Coach took care of that.

The administration did a thorough investigation and determined that the complaints weren't plausible enough to warrant termination.

Coach received endorsements from active players.

Coach received ringing endorsements from her rival coaches--coaches who are getting their keisters spanked by Coach Adams and the Shockers regularly.

Unfortunately, the earlier poster is correct: the malignancy probably devastates recruiting. What was WSU before Jody Adams? Nothing. For sure, that team gave the Lady Vols all we wanted early this season in TBA. We survived the Shockers. Some players just expect the Magic Wand approach to coaching.

Shake a little sand, Coach, and make those girls winners without all that gritty stuff!

VN Store

Back