The game misses Pat Summitt

It does miss Pat as she was the only one who could actually beat UConn more than once.

The game misses Summitt. And it always will. The greatest legacy would be for all coaches to follow Summitt's example and do things the right way.

Reactions: 5 people
I was told by a fellow fan that this article was posted on the Boneyard and the comments they spewed about Pat were despicable! I'm sensing that there will forever be bad blood between UCONN and Tenn....one poster called Summit a b**ch! Smh

I was told by a fellow fan that this article was posted on the Boneyard and the comments they spewed about Pat were despicable! I'm sensing that there will forever be bad blood between UCONN and Tenn....one poster called Summit a b**ch! Smh

Rather than take someone else's word for it, you should read it for yourself. I have. I visit a few other teams forums from time to time. I find it enlightening to read other viewpoints.

Reactions: 3 people
Uconn is a crap school with a crap campus in a crap, nowhere town. They have to feel good about something.

Reactions: 3 people
Looked just now.... I can not find the b**ch comment mentioned here......

Can you please reference it if you find it.....sounds like a racy comment!

don't sweat it, they'd called her a lot worse than that. And I personally have treated geno with less than respect though without being vulgar. Venting is good for the soul.... :)

Truly Pat Head Summitt was legendary & she is missed. Nowadays I cannot sit through more than two minutes of any women's basketball game. :snoring:

they should roll the rules back to what they were in the 70/80's. no shot clock, let them play defense or offense any way the coach can devise. Makes the game interesting instead of cookie cutter.....

Reactions: 1 person
Most of their vitriol wasn't directed at Pat, but at Maria, who wrote the article. They have never been a fan of Maria, and have called her every name under the sun, including having no journalistic credibility. I laughed at that one, because she was interviewed by countless media outlets when Pat stepped down, and she has written articles for ESPN.

UConn fans just cannot accept the fact that even though Geno has better numbers than Pat, he will never be viewed in the same light as Pat, and that's his own doing. The fanbase says that we live in an alternate reality, but the fact of the matter is, they do by thinking that anyone outside of a UConn fan will root for them to win.

Reactions: 5 people
The game DOES miss Summitt--but it would have been better if somebody a little more objective than Cornelius had written this little piece. The timing of the piece--right after UConn wins yet another title--is suspect, and the content seems to take a thinly veiled shot at Geno with its "coaches who do things right" theme. Am I wrong? I don't think so.

The game DOES miss Summitt--but it would have been better if somebody a little more objective than Cornelius had written this little piece. The timing of the piece--right after UConn wins yet another title--is suspect, and the content seems to take a thinly veiled shot at Geno with its "coaches who do things right" theme. Am I wrong? I don't think so.

It's not Maria's fault that Pat stepped down when she did. It was the third anniversary of that happening, and she wrote about it. Not her fault it was so close to the NC game.

One thing I will give Maria is that in my experiences with her, she is very objective. We had a conversation in November that this past team was not a Final Four caliber team. They could be, but from what she had seen, the Elite Eight would be a great season. She was right. Also, she is more of a UNC fan than Tennessee.

In terms of recruiting, many recruits that have come here, and some that haven't, have always given time to Maria for interviews, because she does it the right way. She never contacts a recruit directly, always through the parents to gain their trust, and following their directions when communicating with their daughters. That's important, and one of the reasons why when Maria discusses recruiting, 9 times out of 10, it's accurate due to her contacts in the profession.

It's not Maria's fault that Pat stepped down when she did. It was the third anniversary of that happening, and she wrote about it. Not her fault it was so close to the NC game.

One thing I will give Maria is that in my experiences with her, she is very objective. We had a conversation in November that this past team was not a Final Four caliber team. They could be, but from what she had seen, the Elite Eight would be a great season. She was right. Also, she is more of a UNC fan than Tennessee.

In terms of recruiting, many recruits that have come here, and some that haven't, have always given time to Maria for interviews, because she does it the right way. She never contacts a recruit directly, always through the parents to gain their trust, and following their directions when communicating with their daughters. That's important, and one of the reasons why when Maria discusses recruiting, 9 times out of 10, it's accurate due to her contacts in the profession.

The point of the piece seems to be that PS had more integrity that most other coaches in the game. That's simply not true. The vast majority of the coaches have integrity. Who might not have integrity, in Cornelius's view? Well, now we know one reason for this little piece. She is not objective when it comes to the Vols--she's works for the basketball program, effectively. She is not going to be critical of the coaching, for one thing. As for this past year's team, we certainly had final four potential--not championship potential, but certainly final four potential. We had three players drafted; how many Maryland players were drafted? We were PLENTY good enough to beat Maryland, had we played a halfway decent game. Sorry to be crass, but if you crap the bed in big situations, as Warlick's teams tend to do, it doesn't matter how much talent you have.

The point of the piece seems to be that PS had more integrity that most other coaches in the game. That's simply not true. The vast majority of the coaches have integrity. Who might not have integrity, in Cornelius's view? Well, now we know one reason for this little piece. She is not objective when it comes to the Vols--she's works for the basketball program, effectively. She is not going to be critical of the coaching, for one thing. As for this past year's team, we certainly had final four potential--not championship potential, but certainly final four potential. We had three players drafted; how many Maryland players were drafted? We were PLENTY good enough to beat Maryland, had we played a halfway decent game. Sorry to be crass, but if you crap the bed in big situations, as Warlick's teams tend to do, it doesn't matter how much talent you have.

Well, considering Maryland had one senior and we had three, that doesn't help your argument. Also, Maryland's senior Laurin Mincy was drafted too.

She doesn't work for the basketball program. She actually has a full-time job, and works for InsideTennessee on the side.

Reactions: 2 people
Most of their vitriol wasn't directed at Pat, but at Maria, who wrote the article. They have never been a fan of Maria, and have called her every name under the sun, including having no journalistic credibility. I laughed at that one, because she was interviewed by countless media outlets when Pat stepped down, and she has written articles for ESPN.

She worked a number of years for the News Sentinel, too. She's bona fide.

When she talks about other programs not doing things the right way, it's probably not just Geno she's referring to, sadly. But the Con fans had better hold onto their butts, cause Maria has a book coming out!

VN Store

Back