Warlick picked by US Basketball

For all the times Holly gets tongue-tied, there are other times when she speaks straight from the heart and is very gracious:

"It's just a tremendous honor to be a player and represent our country and now to be asked to coach with USA Basketball," said Warlick, a member of the 1980 U.S. Olympic Team. "I feel like it's an opportunity to give back to the players and to USA Basketball for the opportunities I had, and also it's a chance for me to learn and grow as well. I've always dreamed of doing this, and I am extremely excited to be part of the coaching staff for our World University Games Team.

"Both coach McKeown and coach Warren are very successful coaches and proven winners. They have different styles and philosophies, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for each of them. I've watched their teams, how they run their programs and how they handle their players. I look forward to learning and sharing ideas as we work together, and I know they will represent our country with a great amount of respect and will be as passionate about this as I am."

I remember Joe McKeown from when he coached at George Washington and we played them year after year. He had a post player, Ugo Oha, who gave our bigs a workout. I think she went on and played pro? Don't know Tanya Warren at all, though she used to coach at Missouri.

Reactions: 3 people
I wouldn't be surprise to see both Diamond or Bash on this team. Both have tons of USA experience and both are eligible.

Diamond, Mercedes, and Bash got an invitation to try-out for the WUG and the Pan-Am games.

Last edited:
Thank goodness for Holly being recognized for being a good coach. She is still young in the profession as the leader of one of the premier teams in women's basketball but, the learning experience will pay dividends for the future of the Lady Vols! :lolabove:

Reactions: 1 person
Holly being young in the profession.... and being good experience for her.....

I think she has had lots of experience in her 39 years in the WCBB game!!!

Reactions: 4 people
A great experience for Warlick? I hear she's going to tell all the USA players to "get in that gym and shoot." That kind of great analytical mind is invaluable.

A great experience for Warlick? I hear she's going to tell all the USA players to "get in that gym and shoot." That kind of great analytical mind is invaluable.

Well, someone other than a message board poster thought she was well qualified, so I'll take their view concerning what is valuable or not over yours.

Reactions: 14 people

Kim Kardashian could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and s*** a more relevant comment about basketball than you.

Reactions: 12 people
Here's a quiz for the regular posters on this board.
Identify the author of this quote.
It was in response to my stated desire to see the LV's return to the top of WCBB.
" That's why you're not going to see a return of the "glory days" that you so want."
I'll give you a hint, it was neither Armchair nor Darth Vol.

Here's a quiz for the regular posters on this board.
Identify the author of this quote.
It was in response to my stated desire to see the LV's return to the top of WCBB.
" That's why you're not going to see a return of the "glory days" that you so want."
I'll give you a hint, it was neither Armchair nor Darth Vol.

That was probably my comment, and I stand by it. What does it have to do with the price of tea in China? It was in response to the segment of perpetually entitled and disgruntled fans who fail to recognize that women's basketball is far more competitive today than it was even a decade or so ago. And yes, we know all about UConn and the blathering envy that so many feel toward that particular program being at the top right now. If UConn can, why can't Tennessee, right? I'll tell you why -- 1) Holly Warlick doesn't bend the rules to get recruits, nor did Pat Summitt and 2) UConn hasn't had to stabilize itself and resell itself to recruits following the unexpected retirement of its long time, larger-than-life coach. At some point, and I'm guessing sooner rather than later, UConn is going to be brought back down to Earth. Once that happens, given the growing parity in the game, you aren't going to see a single team win it all year-in and year-out. Those "glory days" will be gone. That doesn't mean Tennessee won't be an excellent, top program year-in and year-out; I'm fully confident it will be as long as the a**hole segment of the fanbase doesn't try to run Warlick off because she doesn't go 1,000,000-0 like they seem to expect. The competition level is getting stronger and highly ranked recruits are now spread among MANY programs rather than just a few, which makes it much more difficult for any given team to keep an unblemished or nearly unblemished record season after season after season.

You know, most fanbases would be thrilled that their head coach was selected for an honor such as this and would be excited about the increased exposure for the program. But at UT? Not a chance. Every thread takes a negative turn. Every NegaVol should be ashamed. The University of Tennessee has some of the most pathetic, unreasonable, ridiculous fans in all of college sports. Anyone who posts a s****y comment about Warlick in this thread ought to be stripped of every piece of UT gear they own and forced to live in Geno Auriemma's basement for the next five years.

Last edited:
Waiting for a the Holly Haters to troll this thread. I find it amazing that she's not good enough to coach here, but is good enough to serve on the staff of the USA women's team. Holly is solid, and we will remain highly competitive under her. Will she have the same success as Pat? No, but only one other women's coach can claim the achievements of Coach Pat Summitt. I think given time, Holly will get a National Championship or two along the way, but she will never achieve what Coach Summitt did here. I'm perfectly fine with that as coaches like that are very rare. Congrats to Holly on this great opportunity and honor.

Reactions: 6 people
That was probably my comment, and I stand by it. What does it have to do with the price of tea in China? It was in response to the segment of perpetually entitled and disgruntled fans who fail to recognize that women's basketball is far more competitive today than it was even a decade or so ago. And yes, we know all about UConn and the blathering envy that so many feel toward that particular program being at the top right now. If UConn can, why can't Tennessee, right? I'll tell you why -- 1) Holly Warlick doesn't bend the rules to get recruits, nor did Pat Summitt and 2) UConn hasn't had to stabilize itself and resell itself to recruits following the unexpected retirement of its long time, larger-than-life coach. At some point, and I'm guessing sooner rather than later, UConn is going to be brought back down to Earth. Once that happens, given the growing parity in the game, you aren't going to see a single team win it all year-in and year-out. Those "glory days" will be gone. That doesn't mean Tennessee won't be an excellent, top program year-in and year-out; I'm fully confident it will be as long as the a**hole segment of the fanbase doesn't try to run Warlick off because she doesn't go 1,000,000-0 like they seem to expect. The competition level is getting stronger and highly ranked recruits are now spread among MANY programs rather than just a few, which makes it much more difficult for any given team to keep an unblemished or nearly unblemished record season after season after season.

You know, most fanbases would be thrilled that their head coach was selected for an honor such as this and would be excited about the increased exposure for the program. But at UT? Not a chance. Every thread takes a negative turn. Every NegaVol should be ashamed. The University of Tennessee has some of the most pathetic, unreasonable, ridiculous fans in all of college sports. Anyone who posts a s****y comment about Warlick in this thread ought to be stripped of every piece of UT gear they own and forced to live in Geno Auriemma's basement for the next five years.

No, it's not and, no, we don't have any more than anyone else. You just piss and moan about it more than anyone else. Even us dumb bumpkins who were "taught in Tennessee public schools" can figure this out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people

I mostly agree, but I am betting that Geno has one sweet basement man...

Yes it is, and yes it does.

By what measure could you possibly state that the competition is deeper today than it was 10 years ago? It's still a small circle of teams controlling the landscape. Four #1 seeds just went to the Final Four. Notre Dame has been in 4 of the last 5 title games. 3 of the 4 participants from last year's Final Four repeated from last year.

If there's a deeper talent pool in the sport, it certainly isn't manifesting itself into a greater variety of results. Nothing really has changed in that department in the last ten years. The only thing that has changed has been us, as we lost a legendary coach and traded her for a mediocre coach. We fell back to the pack, the pack didn't catch us.

And, BS, bologna. hogwash, nonsense, bull crap, flim flam tomfoolery on the fans being, somehow, worse here than anywhere else. I've been in enough places to know that there are plenty of crappy fans everywhere and we aren't unique in that aspect, at all.

Yes, but can you tie your shoes?

Us stupid Tennessee folk don't even wear any shoes. We rely on snobbish, condescending niche Tennessee fans such as yourself to tell us what's what.

By what measure could you possibly state that the competition is deeper today than it was 10 years ago? It's still a small circle of teams controlling the landscape. Four #1 seeds just went to the Final Four. Notre Dame has been in 4 of the last 5 title games. 3 of the 4 participants from last year's Final Four repeated from last year.

If you fail to recognize that the overall competitiveness of the women's game has increased significantly over the past 10 to 15 years, that's your problem.

If there's a deeper talent pool in the sport, it certainly isn't manifesting itself into a greater variety of results. Nothing really has changed in that department in the last ten years.

That depends entirely on what you mean by "variety of results." I don't limit my perspective to the final two games of the year. Again, if you cannot understand that the overall competitiveness of the sport is increasing (as highly ranked recruits choose from among many schools rather than just four or five), that's your issue.

The only thing that has changed has been us, as we lost a legendary coach and traded her for a mediocre coach. We fell back to the pack, the pack didn't catch us.

Jesus wept.

And BS, bologna. hogwash, nonsense, bull crap, flim flam tomfoolery on the fans being, somehow, worse here than anywhere else.

Was this your 12th grade English vocabulary list?

I've been in enough places to know that there are plenty of crappy fans everywhere and we aren't unique in that aspect, at all.

Holly Warlick has been granted a fantastic opportunity, one that showcases how highly thought of she is among people who actually coach the college game and one that will bring even greater exposure to the UT program, and there are still "fans" who salivate at the thought of trolling a message board thread about that honor in order to trash her. That's pathetic.

Us stupid Tennessee folk don't even wear any shoes. We rely on snobbish, condescending niche Tennessee fans such as yourself to tell us what's what.

Okay.

And with that said, I'm finished with the snide comments. This thread is to congratulate Holly Warlick, and she deserve it. Those who post on this thread to complain or trash her should be utterly ashamed of themselves.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back