softball signee Logyn Lilley's amazing numbers

kamoshika

Since this article came out, Lilley's batting average has fallen to .770 with 44 RBI.

nal_lilley040315_14959555_8col.jpg

Any pitch, any time, any situation — the ball comes her way and Lilley smacks it. She is hitting .783, which ranks fifth in the nation according to statistics compiled by MaxPreps. In the past three seasons, she has struck out just six times — none this season.

Those eye-popping offensive numbers are a big reason she was able to sign with the University of Tennessee, ranked 14th in the nation.

"I think Logyn is going to go down as the greatest offensive player to ever come out of Pinellas County," Katchuk said. "The numbers prove that."

PHU's Logyn Lilley puts up big offensive numbers | Tampa Bay Times

Reactions: 1 person
Wow - big time production! The future looks bright for LV softball.

Encouraging but realize Cheyanne Tarango and Erin Gabriel were respectively "the stuff" coming out of high school too, but then college happened. And there was Cat Hosfield...

If you look at this year's team McClain was a big average hitter in High School and can't get off the bench. So she certainly looks impressive, but High School numbers to college numbers don't always work out.

Encouraging but realize Cheyanne Tarango and Erin Gabriel were respectively "the stuff" coming out of high school too, but then college happened. And there was Cat Hosfield...

I agree with what you are saying but will add that in Gabriel's case what happened was a torn labrum and surgery. I did a little googling and found some articles that said recovery time was as long as two years for torn labrum surgery. I give Gabriel a pass because of all that.

I agree with what you are saying but will add that in Gabriel's case what happened was a torn labrum and surgery. I did a little googling and found some articles that said recovery time was as long as two years for torn labrum surgery. I give Gabriel a pass because of all that.

Correct and Erin still isn't 100%. She gives what she can though.

Gabriel's velocity is no where near where it was before the injury. She has lost five miles per hour or more. That can make a huge difference in a pitcher's ability to get players out. She was throwing at 61 to 63 against Auburn that makes the ball easy to see for batters.

Gabriel's velocity is no where near where it was before the injury. She has lost five miles per hour or more. That can make a huge difference in a pitcher's ability to get players out. She was throwing at 61 to 63 against Auburn that makes the ball easy to see for batters.

Good point. In one of the games - I forget which one - the commentator mentioned that Gabriel was throwing 66 mph. I can't prove or disprove that but I thought, wow, if so she's getting her speed back. But it doesn't pass the "eye test". I don't believe her speed is any better than what you suggest - 63 mph.

I wish the UT beat reporters would ask these kind of questions instead of the lame "how did it feel to get a win" tripe they ask. If Ralph doesn't want to answer a question he can say no comment. But I sure would like to know what her speed is. It's not like the other teams aren't going to figure it out.

Gabriel got injuried(Hip) Freshman year and hasn't been the same. Ralph said during the SEC Tournament she is still only about 80%

Hosfield also had an injury(broken ankle) and wasn't the same

Tarango wasn't expected to be a pitcher in college and then had to and it affected her hitting

The big thing next year is the addition of Bria Bush and Matty Moss at the pitchers spot

Last edited:
Tarango had a very long swing coming out of HS and it was never fixed. That was one reason she wasn't more effective.

Last edited:

Let me kind of explain it to you. A lot of people have a difficult time understanding the recruiting process. Many great high school players don't work out in college for many reasons. And, other players who weren't so highly recruited end up being All Stars. But, it is the coaches' jobs to get as many highly recruited players as they possibly can so that it increases the program's chances of getting great players and having a great team. If they went out and just recruited so-so players then it probably lowers the odds that the program will produce great college players and have a winning program. And, so far the coaches have done pretty well. Does that make sense?

What I got out of that article is that there are 4 players out there hitting even better than she does - holy crap!

Let me kind of explain it to you. A lot of people have a difficult time understanding the recruiting process. Many great high school players don't work out in college for many reasons. And, other players who weren't so highly recruited end up being All Stars. But, it is the coaches' jobs to get as many highly recruited players as they possibly can so that it increases the program's chances of getting great players and having a great team. If they went out and just recruited so-so players then it probably lowers the odds that the program will produce great college players and have a winning program. And, so far the coaches have done pretty well. Does that make sense?

What a jerky, arrogant post! I was simply making the point that high school numbers and stardom does not necessarily correspond to college productivity. We should be cautiously optimistic. Does that make sense, Snotty?

Good point. In one of the games - I forget which one - the commentator mentioned that Gabriel was throwing 66 mph. I can't prove or disprove that but I thought, wow, if so she's getting her speed back. But it doesn't pass the "eye test". I don't believe her speed is any better than what you suggest - 63 mph.

I wish the UT beat reporters would ask these kind of questions instead of the lame "how did it feel to get a win" tripe they ask. If Ralph doesn't want to answer a question he can say no comment. But I sure would like to know what her speed is. It's not like the other teams aren't going to figure it out.

The beat reporters in most of the sports--school reporters and even the pros--seldom ask the pertinent questions--maybe even sensitive questions. Ask about Gabriel. I wanted them to ask why the team, and in particular Aldrete and Koenig, were struggling at the plate--and how long cold they expect to keep scratching out wins. I never heard those questions.

RE Lily: I hope she's the real deal. The Vols could probably field two good teams next year with all the players they've got coming in to join an already young team. I think the coaches have created some player management issues for themselves.

VN Store

Back