Carter on crutches @ softball game yesterday

wow will the injuries just stop and it makes you wonder how long she has had this problem and what it is

hmmm was there any ice patches in Knoxville lately ? or has she been up north :)

i did see Gabriel with either an Ice pack or some king of inflatable device on her pitching arm

And of course she "can't" talk about the situation. Wonder where that directive came from....

I was meaning to mention that somebody said that she was playing injuried during the season. I don't know if she was or wasn't, but that's what was said.

You may be a fan of the team, but that doesn’t mean the players or coaches owe you details about their personal lives, experiences, or problems (including health issues, surgeries, etc.). People are naturally curious, particularly when it comes to something they are passionate about (such as a sports team and the players and coaches who are a part of it). However, at the end of the day, no fan owns the players or coaches. No fan is responsible for the players or coaches, nor is any fan in a position to demand that the players and coaches answer to them or provide them with personal information just because said fan wants to know. These people all have private lives apart from the game, and the vast majority of fans aren’t involved with them whatsoever. If a player wishes to keep the details about a surgery – during off-season, no less – to herself, so be it. She doesn’t owe anyone an explanation.

Reactions: 5 people
And of course she "can't" talk about the situation. Wonder where that directive came from....

Well, she would not authorize UT to put out that she had surgery, so the directive was likely her choice.

She was asked to authorize a release on her procedure and she declined, that is her choice and I respect it.

Reactions: 4 people
You may be a fan of the team, but that doesn’t mean the players or coaches owe you details about their personal lives, experiences, or problems (including health issues, surgeries, etc.). People are naturally curious, particularly when it comes to something they are passionate about (such as a sports team and the players and coaches who are a part of it). However, at the end of the day, no fan owns the players or coaches. No fan is responsible for the players or coaches, nor is any fan in a position to demand that the players and coaches answer to them or provide them with personal information just because said fan wants to know. These people all have private lives apart from the game, and the vast majority of fans aren’t involved with them whatsoever. If a player wishes to keep the details about a surgery – during off-season, no less – to herself, so be it. She doesn’t owe anyone an explanation.

This newfound obsession with saying nothing about injuries has become stupid. It has nothing to do with the players "owing" the fans anything. She is a player, she's suffered some sort of injury, of course fans are curious. For decades if a player sprained a knee or bruised a shoulder, then the team would say, hey, Carter's got a sprained knee or she's had arthroscopic surgery. Now, this hipa law has pushed some schools--not all--into acting like a blister is a state secret--ssshhh, can't say anything. I can certainly understand why certain injuries might require some privacy--but most don't. As I say, it's gotten rather absurd.

This newfound obsession with saying nothing about injuries has become stupid. It has nothing to do with the players "owing" the fans anything. She is a player, she's suffered some sort of injury, of course fans are curious. For decades if a player sprained a knee or bruised a shoulder, then the team would say, hey, Carter's got a sprained knee or she's had arthroscopic surgery. Now, this hipa law has pushed some schools--not all--into acting like a blister is a state secret--ssshhh, can't say anything. I can certainly understand why certain injuries might require some privacy--but most don't. As I say, it's gotten rather absurd.

I'm not being ridiculous at all. What is ridiculous is for people to feel that, because they call themselves fans, they are owed an explanation for something that, in actuality, is none of their business. Most people who watch the Lady Vols, who consider themselves fans of the team, do not personally know the players or coaches. Fans are simply not entitled to details about a player's or coach's personal life, and yes, that includes illnesses, injuries, and surgeries. If Carter doesn't want details of an injury or surgery to be released, that is her choice. It's not your place or anyone else's to question it or to demand information that you aren't owed and that, in all reality, you're just going to use to continue playing the role of NegaVol (while trying to find a way to blame Carter's injury on Holly). Unless you know Carter personally, the reason why she is on crutches -- especially given that it is the off-season -- isn't any of your business.

Reactions: 7 people

If a player has an injury or surgery and does not want her private medical information out there, then why should she have to share it?

This was not the school's call, it was hers. How is it absurd for her to want some privacy?

Reactions: 4 people
OK, let's get really weird about it. Basketball season just ended, and Carter is on crutches. This is April. Basketball workouts start when?

And if she doesn't want it to be public knowledge, then why write a press release about it? Real smart, Flesser. I guess if Diamond DeShields gets a head cold, it will make the front page.

The injury happened at the beginning of the year, and Draya didn't want it released because she didn't want other teams to know, and possibly target her knee causing more severe injuries. She doesn't owe anyone ANY explanation when it comes to her body and health.

Yes, she had some fragments removed, and the normal timeframe is 2-4 weeks. She will be ready for summer workouts and the Italy trip.

Reactions: 1 person
OK, let's get really weird about it. Basketball season just ended, and Carter is on crutches. This is April. Basketball workouts start when?

And if she doesn't want it to be public knowledge, then why write a press release about it? Real smart, Flesser. I guess if Diamond DeShields gets a head cold, it will make the front page.

It was written about because she showed up at the softball game on crutches. It got out to the media through social media (Facebook, Twitter), the "media" didn't go looking for it, and it wasn't presented to them. Once the story is out there, the media can write a story about it. Had Draya not showed up, it's likely many wouldn't know about the surgery at all.

Reactions: 1 person
Well, she would not authorize UT to put out that she had surgery, so the directive was likely her choice.

She was asked to authorize a release on her procedure and she declined, that is her choice and I respect it.

I understand that permission ultimately comes from the individual player/family. That doesn't mean the request not to share the info didn't come from within the program.

None of us will know for sure, but seeing how the LV program guards injury/surgical information as if it was a matter of national security, I would say that scenario is very possible....

VN Store

Back