WBCA All-Americans

Hoya Saxa

The ten all-Americans were announced today. UConn with three, Notre Dame with one, and South Carolina with one. Five of the ten at the final four this weekend. It makes it even more impressive that Maryland made it to the final four without a star.

2015 AP ALL-AMERICA TEAMS
FIRST TEAM
Breanna Stewart, Connecticut
Jewell Loyd, Notre Dame
Tiffany Mitchell, South Carolina
Nina Davis, Baylor
Amanda Zahui B., Minnesota
SECOND TEAM
Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, Connecticut
Moriah Jefferson, Connecticut
Elizabeth Williams, Dile
Brittany Boyd, California
Kelsey Mitchell, Ohio State
THIRD TEAM
Lexie Brown, Maryland
Samantha Logic, Iowa
Jilliam Alleyne, Oregon
A'ja Wilson, South Carolina
Ruth Hamblin, Oregon State

Agree about Tuck being 'overlooked'. But was interested to learn that teams can nominate only three players for the WBCA team so the maximum number from any team on that 10 member team is 3.
She made honorable mention AP, but could certainly have seen her as 3rd team. If she stays healthy I expect she will make next years WBCA team.

I see that Izzy is snubbed because of the injury,is this based on the regular season ? I assume that it is

I guess they didn't get the memo that A'ja Wilson isn't that good yet. Nor tonight, when she was arguably the best player on the court....

I have seen UCONN play several times this year and it seems to me that they are at least 10 to 15 points better than the nearest WBB team. Next year with a good recruiting team coming in, it might not get any better. Of course several teams recruited well, Baylor, ND, Duke, Texas, North Carolina, etc., just as we will be better on paper, so will the top competition.

To match wits with Geno and the rest of the top 4 teams, coaching will make a major difference. We will have the horses but will the wagon master have what it takes to enter the final four race? Just having the horses is not a guarantee that a team will produce based upon their potential, take a look at Duke, a real underachiever. Right now I will go out on a limb and say that the Lady Vols, presently, are at least a 25 point underdog to UCONN. Holly and the coaching staff's job is to come up with a plan to close the gap. If she and her staff can come up with that answer, the SEC and the NCAA Tourney will be a careful but easier walk in the park. They have to set their eyes on beating the best. Can they do it? The future will make that decision 20/20, but there has to be major strides made even after coming off a great year.

This is a little off the subject, but I am sick and tired of ESPN trying to put Geno on the same level as John Wooden. I respect What Geno has done but he is not even close to being the Wizard of Westwood. I believe it was Pat who asked not to be compared to John Wooden. The men's game is totally different, and as history has proven in the men's game, it is very difficult to repeat as a National Champion for two successive years let alone 3 years in a row. Don't even mention the possibility of going undefeated, just ask Kentucky. Yes Geno has changed the women's game but that has not affected the men's game one iota. Also I think it took a lot of nerve for him to talk about how boring the men's game is. It is boring when you see all the women's blowout games unless your team is doing the blowing out. In his conference, how many rush to the Gym to see UCONN blowout their teams. He also has the luxury of being able to play his entire team in nearly every conference game because his practices are harder.

Now the parity in the ACC, SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, and even the PAC 12 make most WBB games good to watch. I do not think that Gino is to blame for his exile in the AAC, it's just the fact that their football team sucks and blows at the same time. Having an ego is one thing, but he needs to keep his comments to the game he knows and that is WBB.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back