Season in Review/Looking Forward

bballnut90

I haven't posted much on here or the Summitt the last few years, but wanted to offer my 2 cents on this year's season and a realistic outlook for next year.

I didn't think Tennessee had what it took to make the Final Four this year. The team had a lot of solid players but no true star or go to player. This has been a common problem since Candace Parker graduated. Stricklen had moments but was never consistent enough to be a go to player, Glory drastically improved but was never a strong offensive player, and Simmons struggled playing team basketball. This year's team was projected to have good balance, but the best Tennessee teams have always had a star, ie. Gordon, Holdsclaw, Parker, Catchings, Lawson, etc.

Overall there are some positives to take away from this year. On the bright side, Burdick really impressed me this year, I think she has what it takes to be a solid role player in the W and had a terrific senior year even if she struggled her last game. Graves showed more flashes of being a star once Izzy went down. When she has more space in the paint, she can blow by defenders and finish inside. I thought Reynolds looked really solid at point guard most of the season, and I think Nared showed some skill and will develop into a strong contributor next year (7-10 ppg.)

Additionally, this team had more heart than a lot of past Lady Vol teams. They fought back from 17 down on the road with under 6 minutes to go. They showed incredible grit and toughness down the stretch. They also gave South Carolina a heck of a game in a game Tennessee should have lost by 15+. They also gave Notre Dame a good fight. An Elite 8 finish after losing both of your centers is nothing to complain about. Hats off to the team for making it that far.

The biggest fear I have for Tennessee is that they are becoming another Duke that cannot compete with top teams and will not be able to get over the hump, no matter how much talent comes on board. Duke has been notorious for their Elite 8/Sweet 16 exits with a roster filled with McDonald's All Americans. They never win games in which they are the underdog, and consistently have a miserable offense. I hate to say it, but since 2008, Tennessee really hasn't been much better. 2010 and 2011 were great years with tough regional match ups (facing Griner and Diggins), 2012 was a mess due to all the publicity with Pat's illness, 2013 was a great year considering expectations, 2014 the team underachieved, and in 2015 I think you can argue that Tennessee finished about as expected considering injuries, but excuses are useless. With a #1 seed, two Elite 8s, 2 SEC Championships and a tournament championship, I don't think Holly has done a bad job by any means, but if Tennessee doesn't make the Final Four in the next two years, I don't know that Holly will ever be able to take Tennessee there.

That said, looking forward, Tennessee has a lot of question marks for next year. Some of the major ones are:
1. How will Russell's foot heal? Reports are promising, but with 0 post depth Tennessee needs her to be a force inside and to stay health.

2. Will our backcourt be able to score? Carter is an outstanding defender and Reynolds was solid this year, but neither are standouts offensively. Both players have to be more consistent and be able to score 7-10 points a game regularly. Middleton needs to play smarter next year, and Cooper should be good but will be a freshman.

3. Jannah Tucker. She was a top 10 recruit in a LOADED class. She was ranked higher than Tyler Scaife, Lexi Brown, Alaina Coates, Nina Davis, Stephanie Mavunga, Lindsey Allen, and Shatori Walker-Kimbrough. Offense was the name of her game, she was a lethal scorer whose presence could have made a huge impact at Tennessee. She has been through hell and back, but Tennessee would benefit immensely if she can tap into her potential.

Realistically, I think Tennessee finishes 2nd in the SEC and is a top 5-6 team next year. Tennesee will be good defensively and could potentially be a strong offensive team with DeShields, Tucker, Cooper and Russell all in the lineup. Unfortunately for UT, the rest of college basketball will be outstanding, as virtually every top 10 team should be even better in 2016 compared to 2015. I wouldn't say "Final Four or bust" for 2016, while I would for 2017, but I think for the first time in a while, Tennessee has a roster that is capable of knocking off some top notch teams and could make the Final Four.

Reactions: 4 people
Realistically I think Tennessee should and will go all the way next year, if healthy. Holly has not had a full roster since she started and I cant fault her for that. We have Russell coming back and I know she will be hungry. Deshields will be hungry. Cooper will be ready to challenge for a spot. Bashaara will be Bashaara and remain a consistent threat. This will be the texam that stops U Conn and Stewart from achieving that amazing feat. The post looks weak but they will make noise.

Carter/Reynolds/Jackson
Cooper/Middleton/Tucker
Deshields/Jones/Nared
Graves/Dunbar/
Russell/Moore

Reactions: 3 people
With Burdick and Harrison leaving, that's about 26 points and 17 rebounds (I'm guessing here) that need to be made up for by Diamond and Mercedes. I think they can get the points with some help from Nared (assuming her scoring from freshman year goes up), but rebounding will be an issue. I don't think either of the replacements are as aggressive on the boards as the two departing seniors. Bashaara will probably keep right around her career average of 10-11 points. Graves/Jones will need to pick up the rebounding slack.

Guard play will be a huge concern. Ariel's 13 pts and accuracy from 3 pt range will need to be replaced. 6 points per game from Jordan and Andraya each will not be able to get it done. Maybe Cooper is the answer, but she is a freshman so who knows? I thought Nared would come in and make more of an impact, so I'm not getting my hopes up for Cooper until she gets some games under her belt.

At least 2 players from Alexa/Jordan/Andraya need to average double figures, over 40%FG, and at least 35%3PTFG with the same volume that they were getting from Ariel. I predicted at the start of the season that the combination of Jordan/Andraya would hurt the offense, and unfortunately that ended up being the case. Whichever player doesn't meet those numbers needs to be playing a backup role. If Cooper adapts to the college game quickly and is able to be a potent scoring threat while running the offense effectively, she needs to start...no ifs ands or buts.

Assuming the team stays healthy, this will be their best team in some time. This year's team had the potential to be very good, but there was no way to recover from Izzy's injury. Mercedes becomes the golden goose next year, as there is no one on the team who can replace her height and size on the low block. If she is not healthy, then I won't get my hopes up for next year.

We cannot get our act together offensively. That has become a chronic problem with our coaching and our players. For all the blathering Warlick does about defense, the fact is our offense is the problem: We have a habit of playing bad offensively--and shooting terribly--in big games. We lack composure, and decision-making, and coaching. We shoot badly, usually, in big games. Until we find coaches and players who can play well offensively /consistently,/ we will remain a second-tier team. I've complained about our crappy offensive play and coaching for, oh, probably seven years. It was a little better this year--but last night it was the same old story: Tentative play, bad decisions, comically bad shooting. We can't play or shoot in the clutch.

And every year, we say: wait till next year. Who's going to score for us next year, besides Deshields? Many people could, and will during the season, probably--but it's very likely that we'll choke again next year. That's our pattern with Warlick. I didn't mind so much losing to Maryland last year--they had a very good team and we weren't really all that good. Last night was different: The center spot was an issue--but even so the game was there to be won, and we couldn't do it. We have good players; do we need better players? Yea, that always helps--but our players were plenty good enough to shoot better than 30 percent, plenty good enough to make more than 4 threes out of 22 attempts (!)--but when the lights come on, we don't. That is an issue that traces back to coaching, in my view. I'd like to think that Warlick will formulate a plan for individual players to work on their weaknesses. That would help.

Reactions: 2 people
Realistically I think Tennessee should and will go all the way next year, if healthy. Holly has not had a full roster since she started and I cant fault her for that. We have Russell coming back and I know she will be hungry. Deshields will be hungry. Cooper will be ready to challenge for a spot. Bashaara will be Bashaara and remain a consistent threat. This will be the texam that stops U Conn and Stewart from achieving that amazing feat. The post looks weak but they will make noise.

Carter/Reynolds/Jackson
Cooper/Middleton/Tucker
Deshields/Jones/Nared
Graves/Dunbar/
Russell/Moore

Next year's team will have the potential to be lethal, however, Holly and her staff will have to show that they can coach offense. Unforced errors and bad decisions must be terminated. Somehow we need to find another big from some place, which at this point will more than likely mean a JUCO player. I think the parts will be there.

I didn't mind so much losing to Maryland last year--they had a very good team and we weren't really all that good. Last night was different: The center spot was an issue--but even so the game was there to be won, and we couldn't do it.

In my opinion, last year's MD loss was worse because Tennessee played scared from beginning to end, with the exception of Meighan, Izzy and Jasmine. Bashaara, Cierra and Andraya were especially bad on offense, and were all afraid to shoot the ball, and that let Maryland really throttle Izzy in the paint. She had the two big Maryland bodies sandwiching her, and none of the other frontcourt players were willing to step up.

Last night, they were undermanned in the post, but most of the team fought hard from the beginning to the end. Even though MD had a size advantage in the post, it didn't stop Bashaara and Cierra from battling in the paint and trying to make something happen...something neither did last year. Unfortunately, they couldn't score and only Ariel stepped up amongst the guards to keep it a contest until the finial minute.

That attitude, for me, is much more promising than the two "roll over and die" mentality they displayed during Holly's first 2 years in the tournament.

In my opinion, last year's MD loss was worse because Tennessee played scared from beginning to end, with the exception of Meighan, Izzy and Jasmine. Bashaara, Cierra and Andraya were especially bad on offense, and were all afraid to shoot the ball, and that let Maryland really throttle Izzy in the paint. She had the two big Maryland bodies sandwiching her, and none of the other frontcourt players were willing to step up.

Last night, they were undermanned in the post, but most of the team fought hard from the beginning to the end. Even though MD had a size advantage in the post, it didn't stop Bashaara and Cierra from battling in the paint and trying to make something happen...something neither did last year. Unfortunately, they couldn't score and only Ariel stepped up amongst the guards to keep it a contest until the finial minute.

That attitude, for me, is much more promising than the two "roll over and die" mentality they displayed during Holly's first 2 years in the tournament.

This team had a lot more hustle and fight in them than last year's squad. This year's team was also not as talented and more hobbled with injuries, but they fought hard and brought a better attitude each game. Against South Carolina, Tennessee had no business being close in the last minute with a chance to win. Same thing against Notre Dame--they fought hard. Put Tennessee in a similar scenario in 2013 and 2014 and those teams get crushed. That, to me, is probably the biggest positive to take away from this season.

It might be time for the Holly haters to exit the building. Next year is gonna be a great ride. If everyone stays healthy and plays up to potential, we aren't even slowing down and the final four. It's another NC for UT.

Reactions: 4 people
It might be time for the Holly haters to exit the building. Next year is gonna be a great ride. If everyone stays healthy and plays up to potential, we aren't even slowing down and the final four. It's another NC for UT.

UConn only loses Stokes and KML so I would temper the National Championship talk.

Reactions: 1 person
UT has a better chance IMO to make the final four. Diamond DeShields will provide offense. Our defense is always good. Jasmine Jones and Mercedes Russell will contribute.

I agree....Enough with the Holly bashing.

Does ANYBODY at UCONN EVER get hurt? Geesh. I hate that program. Almost as much as I hate UGA football.

And is K Dunbar really THAT bad that she doesn't even get a mention? Seems the one thing we really struggle with is long range shooting (OMG was the 3 point line an embarassment Monday night) and it seems that is her strength. Not saying she is going to be an all-conference player but can't she fill that role?

I understand defense I really do. I thank Holly and her staff has it down.
If you look at the top teams yes they have great defense teams,
but offense also. Some girls can play some offense and canÂ’t be stop
with good defense, so sometimes you just need to outscore them. I saw
the Tennessee girls pass on some really good shots because it was early
in the clock; the other great teams take these shots. When the girl get
open and about to take the shot but stops because it ant in the last
five seconds of the shot clock throws them off when they do shoot.
I understand about making the other team play some defense, but if
they know you canÂ’t shoot, they know that donÂ’t have to play great
defense till the last ten seconds or so.
Tennessee will have some great offense players, Diamond DeShields
can score from anywhere, just hope she has the freedom to shoot when she has a good shot. Jannah Tucker, Mercedes Russell, Jaime Nared, Jasmine Jones and Te'a Cooper and other can score.
I thank Tennessee needs to score 80 points a game next year, and hold the other team to 60 or less.
The summer tour will let Holly know where the are. They play 3 of 4 games.
Last year team was the best team Tennessee has had since 2008, and next year team will even be better, the 2015 team can win it all.

^
I'm hoping that she does play with the team this summer on their Italy trip. maybe we'll get a glimpse of where she's at both physically and mentally and see if there is progress.

Dunbar just isn't an elite level player. She has more potential than Middleton but I don't think she plays much next year either. I think several will transfer this or next year

Does ANYBODY at UCONN EVER get hurt? Geesh. I hate that program. Almost as much as I hate UGA football.

And is K Dunbar really THAT bad that she doesn't even get a mention? Seems the one thing we really struggle with is long range shooting (OMG was the 3 point line an embarassment Monday night) and it seems that is her strength. Not saying she is going to be an all-conference player but can't she fill that role?

..., I don't think Holly has done a bad job by any means, but if Tennessee doesn't make the Final Four in the next two years, I don't know that Holly will ever be able to take Tennessee there.

I know this is nitpicking a long, thoughtful post, but I've gotta do it anyway. I don't know why people make statements like this, using words like "ever" or "never", when there are so many factors and so much luck that can affect a team.

What if Holly had been able to play Mercedes, Izzy, Jasmnie, and Jannah all season long?

What if one team ranked above us had lost 4 players of that quality?

What if we were playing without any point guards again?

What if our team as it is had run into Dayton one round earlier instead of UK?

What if our team got on a hot streak the way Dayton did?

What if our team had never had to deal with cancer, alzheimer's, aneurysms, abuse, ACL tears, concussions, bad feet, or death of family members?

What if we got through a whole season injury and illness-free but still got a horrible draw?

Never say "never"! Don't ever say "ever"! Go Lady Vols!!

Yes, it does look like a great team next year but we have to make changes. They need a great strength coach and they need endurance. The great teams do not turn the ball over and they have a great offense. We still play scared and make bad decisions. It is in practice that you address these issues. Just watch a Gino practice!!

I just do not know if we will have all that we need. No fun in practice and strict rules. The teams in the final four all have a game plan. Do we always have one? Is it just defend and shoot? I do not know.

With these new players the coaches can hide no more. It is going to unfold very quickly next year!

We HAVE had very bad luck with injuries--and it has got ANNOYING. Vicky Baugh could have been great and yet got roughly 1 full year of playing time because of various knee injuries. We've had bizarre concussion issues the last two years, not to mention Russell and Tucker. We need to stay healthy.

They need a great strength coach...QUOTE]

I thought a new strength and conditioning coach was brought in at the start of the 2013 season? Is another new one needed?

Lee is the S&C coach. There's nothing wrong with S&C. At least now they play a full game without their hands on their knees. What they need is coaching.

Lee is the S&C coach. There's nothing wrong with S&C. At least now they play a full game without their hands on their knees. What they need is coaching.

What they need to do is get in the gym and learn how to actually MAKE all those shots they get from the COACHES' plays!!! That would be a good starting point

What they need to do is get in the gym and learn how to actually MAKE all those shots they get from the COACHES' plays!!! That would be a good starting point

Maybe others can answer this: I have speculated in the past the LV's would benefit from more full-court scrimmage practices as opposed to structured one-on-one drills. However, I don't actually know how practices are structured. Does the team scrimmage full-court at all during the pre-season and season?

I once heard Jerry West the old Laker great say there was nothing wrong with Kobe Bryant that playing basketball wouldn't fix. (This was in response to the criticism Kobe received after his rookie season where everybody said he was a ball-hog). Red Auerbach the old Celtic coach once said there is no substitute for actually playing the game - that was what honed a player and team's basketball instincts.

Thus my question about scrimmaging vs one-on-one drills.

VN Store

Back