No longer an elite program

FightinQuaker

The last time we were in a final four, the current recruits were in elementary school. With the lack of depth in the women's game, that equals no longer being elite. No longer in the same breath as ND, let alone UConn.

Reactions: 8 people
A lot on here don't wanna hear it and would never admit it, but the truth is UT was not an elite program the last 3-4 years Pat coached either. The decline began under her and has continued under Holly. FACT.

Reactions: 18 people
A lot on here don't wanna hear it and would never admit it, but the truth is UT was not an elite program the last 3-4 years Pat coached either. The decline began under her and has continued under Holly. FACT.

Agreed ... all in with that one.... Now the question.... how best to change the situation...... i think the answer pretty clear

Reactions: 1 person

It's possible that Pat was in the earliest stages of Alzheimer's during that 3-4 year span, so give her a break.

Reactions: 11 people
damn grow up,most of the people doing all the fire this and that one haven't even posted in the Lady Vols Forum till CPS had to retire and the above ass holes were wanting to fire CPS? really ? if she wasn't a good enough coach for you,who the hell is ?

should I list all CPS accomplishments ? I assume you don't know who she is or what she has done for Women's Basketball ? or don't care, you will notice that all the championship banners that are hanging in TBA are hers ? if you haven't noticed that is her name on the court

I don't mind people giving CHW a hard time,which to me she doesn't deserve, but a University of Tennessee living Legend ? with what has happened to her?grow up,there will never be another coach that has done what she has done for the Vols or women's sports

Reactions: 4 people
The last time we were in a final four, the current recruits were in elementary school. With the lack of depth in the women's game, that equals no longer being elite. No longer in the same breath as ND, let alone UConn.

Are ND & UConn the only elite programs in your eyes?

Were still an elite program with our most talented players sitting on the bench for one reason or another. You have to be considered an elite program if you win 30 games and make the elite 8. Any top ten team would be an elite program.

Reactions: 5 people
It took you until 2015 to realize that? You guys haven't been to a F4 in 7 years. Even Pat's last few years with SS and GJ were horrible. Give it up. It was fun.

Reactions: 3 people
Were still an elite program with our most talented players sitting on the bench for one reason or another. You have to be considered an elite program if you win 30 games and make the elite 8. Any top ten team would be an elite program.

Sorry, no final four in 7 years (and often blown out in the tournament in those 7 years) do not an elite program make.

Elite all-time? Yes. Elite now? No.

Reactions: 3 people
IMO, the girls did more with less this year than I expected. Next year should be different. If not, things will need to change, dramatically!

Reactions: 4 people
It's possible that Pat was in the earliest stages of Alzheimer's during that 3-4 year span, so give her a break.

I don't think he was saying anything about Pat, except the decline of the program had already started. Now Holly is in the early stages of brining it back, recruiting is going well and time will tell.

SO JUST BACK OFF the fire sell every time we loose a game, you can not build a program with that type of mentality.

Greatness isn't judged on Elite 8s. It's judged on Final 4s and championships.

And CPS would totally AGREE with that statement!! Actually she would say Championships.

You want to be an elite program, ACT like one.
Schedule UConn today and every one else in the final four. Win, lose, tie or draw quit looking back, quit being defensive and get after it.

1. Tennessee is an elite program....today.

2. No, they aren't what they were.

3. What do you expect when you lose an actual legend? Not some BS overhyped myth, but an honest to God actual legend. You don't replace those. Ever

4. There's UConn and there's everybody else

Reactions: 9 people
I don't like Holly. With that said she did a great job with the major injuries. Quit crying and be happy

I agree with you. We can't cry over the results because they are what they are. Blaming Pat for the demise is not going to make the program better. It is also up to the Athletic Department to change the direction of the program. I think that Holly put her best foot forward but to date it has not been enough to get us to the final four. We really lack that true superstar and that second or third player that can turn hot when the superstar is cold. Don't get me wrong we did great with what we have, however, we need to work on our offensive strategy if we plan to return to the elite class. We make way too many mistakes on offense no matter how many victories we have. Last night Graves was not strong enough to jump over a 200 plus post and muscle up the ball, yet time and time again we tried. I really believe that with a more sufficient offensive game plan we could be very dangerous next year. I do think Holly knows defense and I have no problem, we just need offense. With that being said we did very well with the hand we played.

Again, we need to deal with what we have now and not try to downgrade Pat. While the team seems to have declined within her last three years, she was a great coach who changed the way the women's game is viewed. If it were not for Pat,I doubt that there would be the teams we now call elite. Do not forget which team was the first elite team, the Lady Vols.

It's not really that Tennessee has gone to the toilet, a lot of teams have really improved and are now on level playing ground. Yes we have gone down a little but I am really proud of what was done this year with losing TWO of our best players.

Truth! deal with it. Although, I did like the fight the Vols played with last night, and I'm very interested to see what the recruiting will be and how Holly will do next season when some injured players are back etc. But, the truth is the truth! Vols are a shadow of their former self!

We are still an elite program. Unfortunately the woman's game has changed but our perception of it hasn't. Parity has come to it. What UCONN has going is unbelievable. They not only get great athletic girls. They get the purest shooters. Its going to be a while before they fall off. Will Tennessee ever win another title. I don't know. Question is when will UCONN not win one.

VN Store

Back