Looking Ahead...

Undercovervol

Because we're all depressed about the loss, I'd thought we could dwell on next year's roster and see if it is a pickup.

Jamesha Jackson 5'11" F
Te'a Cooper 5'8" PG F
14 Andraya Carter 5-9 G RS SO Flowery Branch, Ga. Buford H.S.
10 Diamond DeShields 6-1 G SO Norcross, Ga. North Carolina
13 Kortney Dunbar 6-2 G/F FR
12 Bashaara Graves 6-2 F JR
2 Jasmine Jones 6-2 F JR Madison, Ala. Bob Jones H.S.
33 Alexa Middleton 5-9 G FR Murfreesboro, Tenn. Riverdale H.S.
1 Nia Moore 6-3 C JR Chicago, Ill. Bolingbrook H.S.
31 Jaime Nared 6-2 G/F FR Portland, Ore. Westview H.S.
0 Jordan Reynolds 5-11 G SO Portland, Ore. Central Catholic H.S.
21 Mercedes Russell 6-6 C SO Springfield, Ore. Springfield H.S.
4 Jannah Tucker 6-0 G RS FR Baltimore, Md. New Town H.S.

There are some things that really stick out to me.
1. We really don't have a lot of size, and the players that we do have who are bigger have not proven themselves yet. Nia Moore will probably not progress much, staying skinny and not have a lot of defensive skills. On paper Jasmine Jones isn't that tall or big to play down low, and in the past she has been known to turn the ball over a lot. Could she become a force beyond what she has been?
The biggest question mark is Mercedes Russell. How much will we rely on her? Can she defend? Can she score in a dominant way? Her freshman year was unremarkable.

2. Guard play...a lot of potential, but again, a lot of question marks. I think Alexa Middleton has the potential to be a great player. Will she progress? Can Jordan Reynolds become more poised and offensively efficient? Will she start at point guard? Should Carter, who is reluctant to score right now, and instead be a distributor? Should Middleton be at the 2 or 1?
Will Jannah Tucker ever return? Can she even play anymore? Will Tea Cooper make an impact as a freshman?

3. We're loaded at the forward position. Graves will finally be able to play where she belongs at the 4. Can Nared progress enough to be as good of a shooter as Burdick (when Burdick played well) to play at the 3? Or will they play her at the 4?
What can Kourtney Dunbar do?

Do our next few years simply come down to how dominant Diamond DeShields is? How will Holly use her?

Next year has a lot of questions that time can only answer.
Possible starting lineup based on Holly's tendencies 2015-2016:
Carter (G)
Reynolds (G)
DeShields (G)
Graves (F)
Russell (C)

May the drought end in 2016 :crossfingers::pepper:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Because we're all depressed about the loss, I'd thought we could dwell on next year's roster and see if it is a pickup.

Jamesha Jackson 5'11" F
Te'a Cooper 5'8" PG F

1. We really don't have a lot of size, and the players that we do have who are bigger have not proven themselves yet. Nia Moore will probably not progress much, staying skinny and not have a lot of defensive skills. Jasmine Jones isn't that tall or big to play down low, and she turns the ball over a lot.
The biggest question mark is Mercedes Russell. How much will we rely on her? Can she defend? Can she score in a dominant way? Her freshman year was unremarkable.

2. Guard play...a lot of potential, but again, a lot of question marks. I think Alexa Middleton has the potential to be a great player. Will she progress? Can Jordan Reynolds become more poised and offensively efficient? Will she start at point guard? Should Carter, who is reluctant to score right now, and instead be a distributor? Should Middleton be at the 2 or 1?
Will Jannah Tucker ever return? Can she even play anymore? Will Tea Cooper make an impact as a freshman?

3. We're loaded at the forward position. Graves will finally be able to play where she belongs at the 4. Can Nared progress enough to be as good of a shooter as Burdick (when Burdick played well) to play at the 3? Or will they play her at the 4?

Do our next few years simply come down to how dominant Diamond DeShields is? How will Holly use her?

Carter (G)
Reynolds (G)
DeShields (G)
Graves (F)
Russell (C)

We have not been to the final four in 7 years and with the exception of the injury bug this year our squad has been in the top 3 talent wise. Every year I have heard how the next one is our year but I will believe our return to the elite status when I see it. For this program 7 subpar years in a row is more than bad luck.

Jas had vastly improved, before she got injured. She wasn't turning over that much at the start of the season and she was more aggressive driving to the basket to find her shot. I don't know what games you've been watching when Jas was in the post she's real physical and can hang with the best of them. And also good for ten boards a game.

Reactions: 3 people

Jamesha Jackson 5'11" F
Te'a Cooper 5'8" PG F

1. We really don't have a lot of size, and the players that we do have who are bigger have not proven themselves yet. Nia Moore will probably not progress much, staying skinny and not have a lot of defensive skills. Jasmine Jones isn't that tall or big to play down low, and she turns the ball over a lot.

Carter (G)
Reynolds (G)
DeShields (G)
Graves (F)
Russell (C)

Okay, let'ss just hope the Lvs can get through a season without losing any one to major injuries.

We have lot of proven players coming back-- Carter, Graves, Reynolds, DeShields (though with NC). I expect Russell to be a very solid player next year. She does not need to be an All_American just a consistent presence in the post.

I predict that Nared is going to come back and be a force next year. Her improvement curve could rival Izzy's.

I am excited about Cooper and tucker getting into the mix.

You went glass-half-empty on Jones but next year (with DeShields), she won't be asked to make a lot of offensive plays (and that is where her TO problems generally happened. She can do what she does best, defend, crash the boards, and slash and drive when she gets in an isolation.

Other than staying healthy, a lot will depend on chemistry and effort. This team should have the depth to play a ferocious pressing defense and we will have at least one play maker on offense (Russell could make two and improved versions of Reynolds and Nared could be four).

I think Middleton will also be a contributor; she showed real progress during the season.

There are match-ups where Moore can look very good and with Russell in the mix, Holly can use Nia a bit differently.

Dunbar needs to work very hard this off season. She has size and if she can get her quickness up a bit, she could be an X-factor.

Reactions: 2 people
Nobody on the face of this earth cares more about the program than the person running it right now. Is she perfect? Is anyone?

The other one is earning his stripes.

We're all right.

1 obviously it is Russell who the Vols will hang there hat on

Nia can be a very good player if she works on her Defense and stop all the fouling

2 Tucker being back into basketball shape is the question,I think she will come on later in the season,Reynolds should be better and like you said,there is a lot of potential in Middelton,hopefully Carter gets some confidence in her Offensive skills,which she has ,as to a who will be the point guard ? I would think Carter,due to her defense and lets not forget our Diamond :)

3 Graves has gained some confidence in her play,will she continue to grow or not is the question,Nared needs a full season of weight training and I do believe she will be one to watch,Dunbar needs to learn to play Defense for sure and time in the weight room will help her too and you forgot to add Jones,if she can improve offensively,that would be huge

Carter (G)
Reynolds (G)
DeShields (G)
Graves (F)
Russell (C)

could be the starting line up,but Jones will be in there somewhere,I do believe there will be a lot of changes as the season goes along other than Russell,she will be our post player with Nia as back up,I don't think the line up will be set till late in the season

which could be bad or good as we see how the younger players and the injured come along

Jones wasn't turning the ball over this year, but when everyone is standing around, watching sometimes some players try do to much in tight spaces, cos players are standing around not moving, especially if you are expecting a teammate to be at a spot and they are not, cused a lot her turnovers. I am excited too see her and Diamond player next year just their athleticism.

Reynolds
Diamond
Jones
NARED/NIA
Russell

Dream Lineup:

Reynold
Tucker
Diamond
Jones
Russell

They are the best players at their natural spot on the roster, when healthy.

Last edited:
Carter, Reynold and graves on the floor together is asking for trouble, at least Jones can create her own shot.

Next year we won't lose a game !!!!
There's an upgrade at every position next year...expect for Izzy's and that remains to be seen with the potential of Russell. She's been able to see the necessary work it takes to be an All-American having to play behind and watch Izzy develop!

I believe our wildcard next year won't be DeShields but Tucker and Nared. I see so much promise in Nared's game! She has to be more aggressive next year.

Reactions: 3 people
Next year we won't lose a game !!!!
There's an upgrade at every position next year...expect for Izzy's and that remains to be seen with the potential of Russell. She's been able to see the necessary work it takes to be an All-American having to play behind and watch Izzy develop!

I believe our wildcard next year won't be DeShields but Tucker and Nared. I see so much promise in Nared's game! She has to be more aggressive next year.

Tucker is a natural shooter like Alisha Gray, Maya Moorish yes she is my trump card too, if she's healthy man oh man.

My biggest question is there are girls all over the country 6'5 to 6'6. Why does UT only have Russell? We should have at least 3 6'5 6'6 post players. We are the freaking Lady Vols. Are we not recruiting them. Or do we get one and not pursue other's?

Isn't this summer they go play games over in Europe or something. Could get a gauge of how well the team works together and how well Jannah's progressed. Thinking back on it now I wish we would have redshirted Kortney. She needed a year to get into shape and work on her defense and it wouldn't have hurt to add her to the incoming class as a three point threat.

This will be Diamond's team, we will go as far as she takes us, the players have to play with her rather than watching her play.

Reactions: 4 people
The European trip this summer will tell a lot, they play 3 or 4 games, this will help them jell together. I have such high hopes next year. we will miss Cierra Burdick, Ariel Massengale, and Isabelle Harrison a lot. But so excited about Te'a Cooper, she will give the team so much quickness we have not had at the point in a long time. Also Diamond DeShields has a lot of quickness.

I'm not too quick to get excited about Cooper, I'll wait to pass judgement when I see her play against quality competition. I would like for Jas to shoot the three more this year. Especially when she's playing the four and they give it to her. She's not that bad of a three point shooter.

Yea the key is staying healthy. there are things that they need to work on individually and as a team. DeShields will be doubled and tripled so i think it's important that we have balanced scoring next season. i don't want them to pass it to her and then stand around and watch like they did with Izzy. if Tucker is healthy and ready to go then she should be the starting shooting guard with DeShields at the wing.

Last edited:
I counted Tucker's name 15 times in this thread. I really don't understand this. By the time the next season rolls around Jannah Tucker will not have played in a game for almost 3 years (Not counting the 2 minutes or so she tried to make a go of it this season). Not to mention that it is obvious she doesn't trust her knee. And she's going to start and shoot lights out?? I don't get it.

However, on the plus side, I understand she can levitate and do loop-the-loops.

I counted Tucker's name 15 times in this thread. I really don't understand this. By the time the next season rolls around Jannah Tucker will not have played in a game for almost 3 years (Not counting the 2 minutes or so she tried to make a go of it this season). Not to mention that it is obvious she doesn't trust her knee. And she's going to start and shoot lights out?? I don't get it.

However, on the plus side, I understand she can levitate and do loop-the-loops.

Her knee injury is complicated. Aside from the original ACL, she had micro-fracture last Summer. The procedure is typically done when there has been cartilage degeneration. It can be quite successful, see Amar'e Stoudamaire, but it also takes time to recover. In the long run, not rushing back could prove to be a very good decision.

But, Tucker really is an unknown quantity but i think there is reason to be optimistic that she can make positive contributions next season. Expecting her to become a game changing player, that might be overly optimistic.

Reactions: 2 people
That's the thing you can't double or triple team Deshields, then you would have Russell shooting lay ups all game. And if the the guards try to double down in the post that leaves the wing open for the three. And if they try to double Mercedes then that is an ideal situation to have Graves go one on one. It will be a different dynamic team hopefully from the previous ones.

Reactions: 4 people
I was confident that we would be in the final four next year. But I read an article that said Baylor is only losing one starter and ND isn't losing anyone that even played in the Baylor game. And with UConn being UConn it seems like next year won't be as easy as I hoped. I'm still optomistic, but damn.

Isn't this summer they go play games over in Europe or something. Could get a gauge of how well the team works together and how well Jannah's progressed. Thinking back on it now I wish we would have redshirted Kortney. She needed a year to get into shape and work on her defense and it wouldn't have hurt to add her to the incoming class as a three point threat.

Yes, I think that will be huge for team building. Plus Diamond and Mercedes got a year off after nonstop basketball for five years, their bodies must feel nice.

VN Store

Back